What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with Root Nubs or How to Root Hard to Clone Plants

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Hey this works absolutely fantastic for transplanting too!

I have 5 or 6 of those long stretchy main stems. I goobered em up good and in about 4 days I began seeing lil nubs, some of them really close to the soil even began trying to grow roots.
It let me set them deeper into the pot when I transplanted without worrying so much about them rotting off.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
hey *lola*!
might i hope for them to be nubs...still next day not!
the logic and practice are yet to meet my clones.
but heck, i will try anything to clone on command...
btw...how did you see root nubs in those awful photos?:covereyes:

I didn't have any KY (that my wife would spare me :D) so I made a paste with Rootone powder and a touch of water. Slopped it on yesterday and have a nice white powdery crust on the stem today.

I'll check in a couple of days and let y'all know...

dunkydunk

I slathered clonex on my Haze mother 4 or 5 days ago, and I have a couple of root nubs on a couple of branches, but every branch I put the clonex on is all swollen and fat, like a cannabis goiter.

catcherintheye

I skimmed through this quickly so sorry if someone already said this but this is like air grafting. We clone Plumerias like this in the horticulture dept at school.

With razor, you can cut vertically where you are going to apply the gel or if the stem is large enough(you can take giant clones off a mom), peel back to the cambium slather with favorite rooting gel/powder. Soak a rockwool cube large or small or rapid rooter, cut it halfway like a submarine sandwich and sandwhich the exposed slathered stem, you can then wrap it with plastic wrap and wait till you see roots! chop it off and youre ready to transplant rooted and all. The plastic wrap should keep it moist and humid like a dome.

has lola gal returned?

*Lola*

yes it's me lolagal :D

I never tried Clonex, i hear it swells up branches like a goiter lol

Air layering is old as the hills :D

catcherintheye

it sure is! good to see ya back! youre name always reminds me of the movie the blue angel "LOLAAA LOLAAA"

Ive seen clones with fat goiters in clubs around here lol, I guess its from clonex and not my first assumption (it got in a bad fight with the rest of the clones)

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
I slathered clonex on my Haze mother 4 or 5 days ago, and I have a couple of root nubs on a couple of branches, but every branch I put the clonex on is all swollen and fat, like a cannabis goiter.

That is a VERY GOOD sign.

dunkydunk

Didn't work with clonex at all. Just swelled and deformed the stems...

Yeah, my Clonex slathered stems haven't shown much in the way of nubs, but good god, they are all fat and weird. I'm not sure I will be able to cut them now.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Yeah, my Clonex slathered stems haven't shown much in the way of nubs, but good god, they are all fat and weird. I'm not sure I will be able to cut them now.

FWIW, my clones did the same thing...check out the pics earlier in the thread. I used Root Tech Gel and the stems swelled up crazy. I did cut one and clone it. Honestly it did worse than my normal method...but it is rooted. I will stick with my normal method.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
I bet the best way to do this is to paint on a lil gel and wait a few days, then clone as normal. Not waiting for swelling or nubs. I also hypothesize that if you make a slit into the branch before applying the gel may get you good results too. IDK. Gotta let the mums grow for a few weeks before anything else is done.