What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with JJScorpio

Cabron

Veteran
Maybe you should look at rapid rooters compared to soaked vermiculite before making your comments. There's no comparison.

But if it works for you than have at it..... I wll say that verm and perlire are good for drainage in watered plants. Something that clones don't get, so there's no need for drainage,,,,,

JJ
I'm fully aware of rapid rooters have been using them for years with great success..

But that is sidetracking my post and it's intention.

You stated clearly that a mix of perlite and vermiculite for cloning was not good as it had depleted your cuts of oxygen...

And again I'll ask you how this is possible?

I see you have now deleted that comment by yourself and my post...with it's quote by you stating this...

That's quite convenient for you is it not?

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
JJ
I'm fully aware of rapid rooters have been using them for years with great success..

You stated clearly that a mix of perlite and vermiculite for cloning was not good as it had depleted your cuts of oxygen...

I see you have now deleted that comment by yourself and my post...with it's quote by you stating this...

Now, I just clone in dirt

40 DIRT CLONES, NO CLONEX, NO BOTTOM HEAT

picture.php

WELL ROOTED AT 14 DAYS

picture.php

100% STRIKE RATE

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, which should be respected, what works for some....does not work for others,,,many people laugh at cloning in dirt....so do I, cos I get results.

Stop the agro.

blimblom

JJ thank you for all the tips on cloning.

Im starting my second try, taking samples from a plant in 3rd week of flowering . I followed your instructions carefully and thank you specially for the being patient tip ;)

One question though. You advise taking cuttings with at least 1 node. My plant while healthy doesnt have enough small nodes to take cuttings from. It has some big leaves and many nodes on the big branches but nothing too spectacular from then on.

so my question is? can cloning be successful if your cutting has no nodes but the stem is thick (developed) enough? I took 9 cuttings only two of them I managed to have nodes

thanks again for all your help

THC123

Veteran
i got an issue with cloning

so i just made a backup of my mothers

95% rooted

but the sourbubble clones (which have roots poking out

are starting to get brown growth(rotten)

they are still not ready to be put outside of the dome

what could i do to prevent them from rotting away?

all clones look vibrant green except the sour bubble clones the new shoots are browning up

i have the lids of the propagator open btw and it is not really humid and only the sour bubble is bitchin

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
JJ

What did I delete? I'm not following you at all. If something got deleted by someone it's because it was off topic.

I don't know who you are, but I do know your history at other sites, including the accusations regarding JF, so it might be good for you to not try causing grief here. If you want to debate that's fine but don't cop some attitude and think you're going to turn this thread into an argument.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i got an issue with cloning

so i just made a backup of my mothers

95% rooted

but the sourbubble clones (which have roots poking out

are starting to get brown growth(rotten)

they are still not ready to be put outside of the dome

what could i do to prevent them from rotting away?

all clones look vibrant green except the sour bubble clones the new shoots are browning up

i have the lids of the propagator open btw and it is not really humid and only the sour bubble is bitchin

If there's roots poking out then they can be removed from the dome and hardened off. Take them out and if they start to wilt put them back in until they look better. Keep repeating until they can stay outside the dome....

windrunner1

Hey JJScorpio, thanks a ton for the best information I've seen in a while. I'm fairly new to this and have had zero success when it comes to cloning. Also, your post on Monster cropping was most insightful. Thanks for sharing you knowledge base with the newbies and veterans alike. :^)

Debil

I also just want to say thanks for the time and effort in caring enough to share the wisdom. My 11 first cuttings of Silver Lemon Haze have resulted in 1 known rooted clone. Starting this whole new life adventure of growing in my closet is much easier with the benefit of getting better every time. I'll be going in for my second cutting session. I had purchased a variety of clones that I have vegged for cutting. Each Day Better (thanks to folks like you)
A good deed grow On! Thanks sincerely.

piosh

Hello!
I have tried to clone few times, all attempts with no succes.
Could someone advice me or give me some tips to get at last one-two rooted plants from like 5 cuttings. Here is what I do:

I take strong "fat" branches cuttings verry similar to these posted by High Country on previous page (I mean I take for ex. from main branches)...

I cut them with verry sharp blade in angle 45deg.

I deep into cloning hormones solution.

I put prepared cuttings to small pots (0,15L).

I cut too big leaves like Ive seen in guides (I do things in order I write here)

I put clones in pots to micro-greenhouse than to clone-box.

Clone chamber :30cm x 20cm x 50cmH, 40W fluoro hanged around 20 cm over micro greenhouse. 2 small computer fans to manage circulation. Nothing special...

I try to spray with fresh water like 2-3 times a day to keep high humidity.

Before I take cuttings I try to water good and feed the mother.(day-two before).

Temperatures are mostly dependant on out temperature for exaple now its like 28C (can do nothing - summer damn hot)

I tried to root in soil , now attempting in coco coir...
Best I ever got was cutting standing like 8-9 days but when i checked it even havent developed like 1 milimeter of roots...most of cuttings go droopy in few hours - I usually throw them away since as I understand droopy ones wont root....
Ex.: 2days ago i took some clones ... before this i watered mother as hell and fert her good...after like 2-3 hours clones were droopy and arc-shaped - Its hot (28-9C outside and in house) but mother was verry verry good watered... why after 1h they started to became droopy even though they were in wet coco , in sprayed box (RH around 70%-80%)..
Please could someone enlight me :) ?

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Hi..What light do you use on your propagator ??

Its best to give plain water only to the mother plant for a week before taking cuts.or spray the part you will be taking cuts from, with plain water only.
Dont foilar spray clones once in the propagator,it slows rooting.

Clones root better with less Nitrogen content and more Carbs!
check the stems the ones that contain more carbs fold over instead of bend !
I also highly reccomend the IBA rooting powders.
Always cut clones and stick em immideatly into a jug of water for a min,before air enters the cut end.

piosh

Hello and thanks!

40Watt CFL inside 30-35 cm(D) x 20cm(W) x 50 cm (H)...
Iput cuttings to "micro greenhouse" than into my clonebox . light is like 25 cm (10in) over tops of clones...

Its best to give plain water only to the mother plant for a week before taking cuts.or spray the part you will be taking cuts from, with plain water only.

I will follow this advice....

I will follow , but usually i was spraing walls to increase humidity - THE PROBLEM is not i dont want w8 even 14 days for one tiny root but if after 8-9 days there even no half milimeter sign of rooting or they go totally droopy in not more than 1-3 days :( ...

I have clonex bought on my local hydrostore..

Always cut clones and stick em immideatly into a jug of water for a min,before air enters the cut end.

I do always as you say - certainly Im not a machine that ll do it in 10ms but I do it ASAP...
Results I get are .... :( (first post)

Maybe temperature influents it? Its like 28-29 in clone chamber and in my house (over 31C outside - can do nothing) , but Ill mention Ive got same scores with like 24 C..

Any advices?
thx in advance

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Yes ^ Crusader Rabbit is right about the fans,not needed for cuttings.
clonex is good but the greenlight (IBA) powders are great !

after 7 days you can remove the lid off the clone box, cuts should not droop,put clones in light shade for the roots to develop better. with no fans hitting em!!

Cloning into coco its better to have larger clones 5-8" it then has no need for the clone box or micro greenhouse..
I use 8oz clear plastic drink cups so i can observe new emerging roots..

Clones root better with less direct light.
Keep temps stable at 24-26c and humidity at 70-80%..Any higher nd it will reduce the survival rates.

joe guy

I have one quick question, is it okay to use the rapid rooters out of the tray? Say right in the bottom of a small rubbermaid with the top off and some ceran wrap over the top to act as a dome or would it be best to surround the plugs in some sort of peatmoss or perlite mix also with the ghetto dome??

I found these actually my son did and when he was done I said to my shit this is money it should hold a plug perfect ( ready grow super plug).
And low and behold it was... they are a lil 6.5 oz. Soad and they are 5 for a buck.. so hell off we went to the market to the boy some soda "cause he was a good boy for momma today" and few brews for dad... I'm out side in the flower room now but will post few pix of them tonite.. great thread tho by the way.. this is the thread that showed me the way in the clone game...

joe guy

2012-08-11 09.33.41.jpg

Here they are one with the label still on and whole so u can see they are tiny lil sodas... and the other one with the "ready grow super plugs" id say about 1.5 inches.. they hold the plugs prefect no need to go get the tray insert for the plugs just put these in ur try insted

maree

Propagating plants by root cuttings

Propagating plants by root cuttings

"Taking root cuttings is a useful method of propagation for plants that won't root easily from cuttings or division. This simple technique involves removing small sections of root from a plant which can be used to propagate a large number of different varieties."

Has anyone ever tried this? I know it has limited application but wondered if it was feasible with bramble. Clearly, we can easily get rooted plants by more usual methods but I'm gonna give this a go next time I move a plant on to a bigger pot anyway in the spirit of experimentation. Only found this today though so will be a little while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/propagation_rootcuttings1.shtml

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
"Taking root cuttings is a useful method of propagation for plants that won't root easily from cuttings or division. This simple technique involves removing small sections of root from a plant which can be used to propagate a large number of different varieties."

Has anyone ever tried this? I know it has limited application but wondered if it was feasible with bramble. Clearly, we can easily get rooted plants by more usual methods but I'm gonna give this a go next time I move a plant on to a bigger pot anyway in the spirit of experimentation. Only found this today though so will be a little while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/propagation_rootcuttings1.shtml

Think I'll stick to the normal method thanks.

joe guy

Clones root better with less Nitrogen content and more Carbs!
check the stems the ones that contain more carbs fold over instead of bend !

Well if u read jj's thread u read that its best to feed a good amount to ur mother plant at least 2 or 3 days b4 taking ur cuttings, since that will be there last feeding untill they sprout roots to feed on there own... and don't cut at a 45 and stick in h20 for few minutes that's pointless.. take ur cutting at any angle u please and make sure u take an extra .5 inch... that way u can hold ur cuttings stem only under water (u only need 1/2 inch maybe 3/4 if ur feelin spendy and wana waste h2o) and make ur 45 cut with a new razor blade(wiped down the 90 proof rubbing alchol to remove the oil that prevents rust) make ur 45 UNDER h2o. That way it sucks up the h2o and not air it happens instently.. thus the cuttting dosnt have to "burp" to get the air out and can start growing its roots sooner..

Ad then remove from said h20 and dip instantly in to a rooting gel or power what ever u prefer.. and place in medium under a low light situation strong light is bad makes every thing dry...

I like using ready gro super plugs but I use them upside down a narrow base dosnt make sence to me I want more roots b4 transplant than brand new day old roots to touch my soil/coco mix so I use them looking like a bell that way they stand up on there own or I use a lil tiny soda botle that is pictured in this thread as well and keep them barely wet.. that way they want to search for moister.. and then mist my dome and give they babies a squirt of b52 to help speed things along..(foiler app.) And then place the top on with the vents closed

Hope u take the time to not only read but undersatnd what we are saying

Latest posts

Latest posts