What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with JJScorpio

maree

Think I'll stick to the normal method thanks.
Hi, High Country - I don't blame you! I've used well established methods myself - and have done so on and off for the last twenty years. I'm not suggesting anyone adopts this method or even tries it. Found the page, wondered if anyone had any experience and knew this would be the place to find out. Like I said, I'll give it a go next time I re-pot just out of curiosity. It won't cost me anything to find out. I'll report back here whatever the results - even if it's only to tell the rest of the community that it's pointless. I'm doubtful that it'll work as I'm sure others might use it already if it did but, if it does, then there's potential for dozens of cuts every few weeks for soil growers so, for me, it's worth a go.

Rolldaddy

Poish,

Read page 1 of this thread again carefully. But were I see your thinking could be off a bit is that if the cutting starts to droop it won't root and that isn't true. After the cutting gets it's rooting solution and goes into propagator/green house it can droop a bit, but after the humidity builds up and it's getting proper lighting the drooping goes away. Give it some time

Last edited:

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
"Taking root cuttings is a useful method of propagation for plants that won't root easily from cuttings or division. This simple technique involves removing small sections of root from a plant which can be used to propagate a large number of different varieties."

Has anyone ever tried this? I know it has limited application but wondered if it was feasible with bramble. Clearly, we can easily get rooted plants by more usual methods but I'm gonna give this a go next time I move a plant on to a bigger pot anyway in the spirit of experimentation. Only found this today though so will be a little while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/propagation_rootcuttings1.shtml

Some plants sprout from cut roots. If you dig one up it is likely to sprout back again from every significant chunk of root material left in the ground. But these are going to be perennial plants that live through many seasons and are adapted to spread by roots, and to grow back from the roots of a plant that has been burned or munched down by animals.

Cannabis is an annual and has one shot to make it to flowerhood. I've never encountered a Cannabis plant that grew back from its roots after being cut. Never saw a plant grow a second stem out of the ground next to the original. I don't think its going to work.

Then again, Cannabis is closely related to hops which do spread from a perennial root mass, or actually stolons. But the structural and life habit differences between Cannabis and Humulus kind of makes the point that Cannabis isn't adapted to reproduce this way.

maree

Some plants sprout from cut roots. If you dig one up it is likely to sprout back again from every significant chunk of root material left in the ground. But these are going to be perennial plants that live through many seasons and are adapted to spread by roots, and to grow back from the roots of a plant that has been burned or munched down by animals.

Cannabis is an annual and has one shot to make it to flowerhood. I've never encountered a Cannabis plant that grew back from its roots after being cut. Never saw a plant grow a second stem out of the ground next to the original. I don't think its going to work.

Then again, Cannabis is closely related to hops which do spread from a perennial root mass, or actually stolons. But the structural and life habit differences between Cannabis and Humulus kind of makes the point that Cannabis isn't adapted to reproduce this way.
Hi Crusader - thanks for the heads up and the informed, clearly argued reasoning. Your observations - or lack of them - of course tally with my own but I didn't make the link between them and the non-viability of root cuttings.

Actually, I started the experiment a couple of days ago when I did I bit of re-potting. Though I was always more hopeful than expectant but I guess I now know what to expect - zilch!

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
Love this thread!

Got my first roots to pop with these rapid rooters...it has taken me a long time..I FEEL SO GOOD RIGHT NOW

Anyway

One quick question..I have my temps set to 80F with a thermostat and heat mat. I also have water on the bottom of the tray. They have been in there for just 6 days..and one has already popped. However...1 of them had some fuzzy mold on the bottom of the stem..and the while the top portion of the clone was standing...the bottom had rotted. So my question..

How much humidity...and for how long. When is it ok to lift the dome? Should I keep it propped open from this point on?

I think there is too much humidity....which is probably the cause of this cottony mold thing going on.

Thanks

TpM

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Hey Tune, thx for stopping in. I keep my temps between 70 and 75 degrees. The higher temps can lead to stemrot and yellowing of the leaves quicker. If you get a fungus started, it can get them all.

I did make a mistake, my wife said I did these clones on the 3rd, not the 1st as I thought. Pot smoking I guess, lol.

I checked a couple this morning and the roots are coming nicely. Here is a pic of one. As you see, there will be heavy rooting soon. There are numerous roots just breaking the plug. So this one took just under 8 days, which I think is faster then they usually show roots. Also notice how nice and green the leaves are.

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/7586DSC01528-thumb.jpg"]View Image[/URL]

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/7586DSC01527-thumb.jpg"]View Image[/URL]

no offence mate but those rooted clones are in bad shape.

Love this thread!

Got my first roots to pop with these rapid rooters...it has taken me a long time..I FEEL SO GOOD RIGHT NOW

Anyway

One quick question..I have my temps set to 80F with a thermostat and heat mat. I also have water on the bottom of the tray. They have been in there for just 6 days..and one has already popped. However...1 of them had some fuzzy mold on the bottom of the stem..and the while the top portion of the clone was standing...the bottom had rotted. So my question..

How much humidity...and for how long. When is it ok to lift the dome? Should I keep it propped open from this point on?

I think there is too much humidity....which is probably the cause of this cottony mold thing going on.

Thanks

TpM

They might be a little too warm which is causing stemrot

B

bajangreen

I don't know if it was mentioned in the tread earlier, but I think the use of Hydrogen peroxide, will/should kill the stem rot that has been causing me so much problems!

I use potting mix and follow the instruction at the beginning of the tread, it has not worked out good for me so far, my temps are constant 80+ and my RH is very high. (I live 10 feet from the sea.) i use a dome and everything, right now my success has been %20 it rose to %80, once, when i used aloe Vera as a fungicide, but the aloe has to be fresh or it doesn't work, this is where i got the idea of using hydrogen peroxide as a foliar spray to keep stem rot at bay, i know hydro growers use it to kill root rot can this work? or do i need to take clones like how i dry my buds! 2in away from a standing fan at full blast!!!!!

sir alex

cuts

cuts

hi peeps just thought i would give you my 2cents worth.....i seen a clip on youtube forgot the title but will find it and the guy had healthy cuts with thick white roots popping out every where,he said the trick that nobody ever talks about is roots need p or did he say k for root production can't remember my bad ,so he said he use's a 1 part bloom fertalizer at 200ppm and thats it rooting gel or powder ofcouere too..he used somthing from fox farm cant remember,,,, i only had canna a+b so i used that to 5ltrs of water i used about 2 to 3 mls of a+b...now you got to bare in mind i am a hit and miss kinda guy when it comes to taking cuts am kinda shit actually,,,so i took 25 and only needed 12 and guess what a 100% sucsess apart from the 3 i ripped the rock cube open to see if they were rooting wich they were so i binned em knowing i had more than enough to cover me so please try the 200ppm of bloom fert and watch them cuts root like never before

D

DHF

i took my clones today,and have quick question.
heres what i did

1. topped each plant,and quickly placed the cut branches into a cup of clean,tap water

2.i scraped some of the stems with a razor blade,to expose the inner tissue

3.i quickly remvoed from the cup of water,dipped into rooting powder,then stuck them firmly into the rapidrooters.

4.i sterilized the rapidrooters by boiling them in water,then i left them soaking in a bowl of roots exullerator

5.after i stuck them in the rr's,i cut off the tips of leaves,to prevent water loss and wilting

6.after it was all done,i sprayed with clean tap water

my question is,in the cloning tray (i used an icecube tray) the rapidrooters are sitting in water,should i drain this water or leave it.im concerned about damp off,and the water getting stagnant.

[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=41400&pictureid=985081&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL] [URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=41400&pictureid=985080&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL] [URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=41400&pictureid=985071&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]
Drain the juice and allow the natural drying process for root stimulation cuz the cubes sittin in juice is no bueno........but.......

An easy way ta handle it is to drill a hole in the bottoms of the ice cube trays and put em on a cookie sheet so all yas gotta do is pour some weak juice solution and let em wick it up from the bottom as they dry out and promote root growth.............

HTH...DHF.......:ying:.......

B

bajangreen

To get an iday of how much water you need, to take cuts i use potting mix, i wet it and then take a handful and squeeze out all the water then its good to go for 3-4 days.

Hydrogen peroxide in some water stops stem rot dead in its tracks.

Hay y'all! :tiphat:

Just took my first cuttings for clones, now I got a few questions if I may.

1- Can/will cuttings do well in FoxFarm OF soil for there first grow medium? They were all cut and trimmed correctly, (I think, lol!), and dipped in cloning gel before planting.
2- At the moment I have two trays with humidity domes, 10 clones each, under my 600w MH. I've got 7 plants in 24/24 for another week before they get flipped, the trays are approx 4-5ft away from the light off to the side. Will this hurt them? I'll be moving them under a 4 bulb T5 in a few days as soon as I get the other side of my room together. Temps should run around 75-68 day to night.
3- Once I flip the 7 and figure out and pull the males and there clones I'm wanting to flip the clones ASAP, how long should it take a clone to be ready to flower?

I'm doing this with just mystery seeds/good bag seed, to see if this will work or if I'll need to go out and find plugs etc. I've got good genetics waiting in the wings and don't want screw them up so this is just a learning experiment for me.

Thanks much,
Opinions?