What's new

Cloning with JJScorpio

Frid

Yeah, I'm am trying peat mix now. I put it Styrofoam cup with hole in the bottom. I smushed as much as could get in there and wet it down. Then I smushed more in and wet it down it was nice a firm. Poked a big hole in the center and put some wormy casings stuff in and poured more water till it leaked out. I took my stem with root powder and stuffed it in there nice a firm. Kinda like a peat puck.

I put the whole mess in a plastic bin with some water in the bottom. Taped plastic caps under the cups to keep them out of the water. Then with some leftover plastic they use to make those stupid 'homes for sale this way signs' I made a frame to hang some saran wrap as a cover. I am hoping the water will help keep it humid.

I am so broke right now I cant afford to go to superpets and get a freaking fish air pump and a big air stone! like 15 bucks, right? Bosh!!

Then like I am fidgeting around with the mother and BAM broke of two heavy limbs! @$#@%&#&!! I took a 7up bottle cut it in half and drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom put some gravel in the bottom and wick. I am hoping the wick will keep it moist so I don't drown it and cause it to rot. I did the whole peat jamming thing as above. I hope it works. I soaked the big stems for about 10 minutes in the rooting powder mixed with water and then powdered them and stuck them in the pots nice and firm.

I left all the leaves and stuff on. Somebody said something about the plant using the leaves as food till it develops roots? Man I hope so. You could get one hell of a spliff from those stems.

I have two different styles going on now. one with wicks and the others in little pots. I hope they work. This plant I have the cuttings from is so sweet. She is my first and my baby.

Peace, Friddly

how necessary is rooting hormone? one of my friends said he rooted some in 19 days without any hormones using the same process though. anyone else try this? how successful is it?

Brokenrolex

rooting hormone

rooting hormone

i didnt use any root hormone on the 2 clones im growing now. took three weeks to see new leaves sprout. thats too long. i will be using a root hormone next couple of weeks on my blueberries see how that goes.

M

moses224

Deft said:
What chain store sells rapid rooters? I have seen some burpee ones but they come in little pucks is this similar stuff? How does using peat pots work with cloning?
your not going to find in chain. Try sunshinehydro.com they have 50 packs for $19

Frid

Hey JJ,

I just wanted to say thanks for your insight on the clone process. After a little trial and error with getting the right amount of moisture I have 3 decent clones rooted and potted!! I did not use the rapid rooters though. I used a peat mixed with Styrofoam and gravel at the bottom. I glued a soda cap to the bottoms of those cup of noodles and punched holes in the bottom. Rocks in the bottom and peat, worm poo and shredded styrofoam smushed in and soaked and smushed some more. Dibbed a nice hole. Hormoaned me cuttin's and stuffed them in nice and tight. Packed in some extra terra for good measure. Stuck the whole mess in a plastic container with a saran wrap dome and a screen over top to cut the light. Didn't have to water them after that just spray them until they started to show new growth. Now my girl has three little girls to call her own.. tears me up..sniff..

J

janedope

wow nice thread JJ, i currently use a vermiculite cloner, its pretty much the exact same process only vermiculite instead of RR... i've never heard of rapid rooter... what exactly is that?? is it a soil/permilte blend???

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They are a bark/peat combination.

If you googe General Hydroponics they can tell you where the nearest store is....

JJ -

Awesome method. I'm usually a plain water cloner. Wanted to try out your method. I've got it goin good now for a couple days!!
Quick question: Next week i'll be gone for 3 days. Will the cuts be ok without misting for three days if I mist the dome well and make sure some moisture is in the plugs before I leave?
Peace,
SH

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sound healer said:
JJ -

Awesome method. I'm usually a plain water cloner. Wanted to try out your method. I've got it goin good now for a couple days!!
Quick question: Next week i'll be gone for 3 days. Will the cuts be ok without misting for three days if I mist the dome well and make sure some moisture is in the plugs before I leave?
Peace,
SH

I think they should be fine. Just make sure you prop a corner of the dome so they can get some air....

Perka

JJScorpio said:
I cut off the nitrogen about a week ago, and yesterday soaked her with an ounce of Pure Blend Bloom in a gallon of water. You will want the plant very hydrated because it will get very little water again until the clones form roots.

so how do i cut of nitrogen? i use canna a&b coco.

Thanx

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not familiar with that coco. Is that something you do not add ferts to? If you do just stop the nitrogen before cloning. If not don't sweat it. To be honest I have seen very little diffrence anyways.

Perka

sorry, I grow my plants in coco coir, and I use the brand canna a&b for coco coir.
But do i need to leech my mother plants before I take cuttings? Now I only have 50% that get roots and thats not good enough.
Any ideas?

Cascadia

JJScorpio said:

Hello! This is a great thread! Thanks!

Please forgive me if this was covered already, but I have a question for JJ concerning nodes on the cutting.

Do you take your cuts so that at least one node is in the plug? In your pics it almost looks like there is only one trimmed node on the cut, and it seems to be above the plug. I only ask because it seems like someone told me to do that when taking cuts, because thats where most of the roots will grow supposedly.

Can you clue me in on taking the best cuts? Obviously you have great sucess with your method.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you can get a node or two into the plug that would be ideal, but I've found if taken care of properly they will almost all root....

JJ

Clones doin just fine using your method, taken on the long side (2-3 weeks) but there's some roots a comin'. Super thrilled. Right now there's just like one white root sticking out. Should I wait till there's some more or are they ready to be transplanted when a root breaks the surface? Also, If I choose to wait for a few more roots to penetrate rr, will the exposed roots be ok sitting in the nursery tray?

this is awesome,
sound healer

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let the clone shoot out a few more roots and then transplant it into barely damp soil. This will force the roots to go looking for water....