What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with JJScorpio

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They can root but don't leave them in direct sunlight or it will dry them right up quickly.....

Dr. Buzz

Thanks JJ for the informitive thread.

I have been growing for a few years now and the one thing that pisses me off is cloning. I just can't get a very good grip on it and it is frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!. I have spent a lot of money on seeds and I am sick of them. Grrrrrr.

Sorry about the rant.

Here's my setup. I use 1 1/2 inch rockwool cubes. I do the prep work the same as JJ. I take clones at the bottom part of the plant, cut the cutting in a 45 degree angle, soak them in water, dip them in rooting gel, and them place them in pre soaked rockwool. I use a heating mat and I have a 65 watt florex light above them. Still my rooting SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't use a dome, and maybe that's my problem, but everytime I use one my cuttings curl and wilt. Strange. Oh yeah, the bottoms of the stems on my unsuccessful cuts are black on the bottom where the roots should come from.

Thanks everyone for the help. IC mag ROCKS!

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jeff Lebowski said:
Thanks Scorpio. I am using your method with Greatfulh3ad's mass cloner on a smaller scale. Do you have any tips for taking clones from bonsai plants that are under 18 inches tall? I just want to make sure I will not butcher the plant.

Don't take all the clones from one area and try and leave a leaf below the cut so new growth can form......

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dr. Buzz said:
Thanks JJ for the informitive thread.

I have been growing for a few years now and the one thing that pisses me off is cloning. I just can't get a very good grip on it and it is frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!. I have spent a lot of money on seeds and I am sick of them. Grrrrrr.

Sorry about the rant.

Here's my setup. I use 1 1/2 inch rockwool cubes. I do the prep work the same as JJ. I take clones at the bottom part of the plant, cut the cutting in a 45 degree angle, soak them in water, dip them in rooting gel, and them place them in pre soaked rockwool. I use a heating mat and I have a 65 watt florex light above them. Still my rooting SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't use a dome, and maybe that's my problem, but everytime I use one my cuttings curl and wilt. Strange. Oh yeah, the bottoms of the stems on my unsuccessful cuts are black on the bottom where the roots should come from.

Thanks everyone for the help. IC mag ROCKS!

If they curl and wilt it could be to warm. I find 75 to be a good temp.

With a dome you don't have to mist the plant directly every day. Just misting the dome usually is good enough....

Quazi

Man JJ:

I am so glad that you started this thread. There is so much crap out there about how to clone and what the 'best' methods are. The information in this thread is straightforward and the examples are great.

It's been loads of help.

Thanks!

Thanks for the thread. I've read it many times over, and I just took some clones with rapid rooters, and clonex. I've never had success before, but I have a feeling these will be rooting. I'll report back with my success.

This is another "THANKS A MILLION!!" for this thread. It has inspired me to start taking clones.

I went the rapid rooter route. I took 12 cuttings (6 larry OG, 3 True Blueberry, and 3 ECSD) after 4 weeks of veg. Snipped right of the plant, dipped in clonex, into the rooters. Kept them in a domed tray. Misted a couple times a day. By day 10-12, two ECSDs, a blueberry, and an og had rooted and were planted into 16 oz cups. today is 14 days, and another ECSD has shown roots through the rooter and will be transplanted in another day or so. I think another one of the blueberries have rooted and should be visible in another couple days. Light source was a single 26 watt cool cfl 24/0. temps ranged from the high 70s to the high eighties.

Even if no more of the clones root, for me on my first time doing this, I would still say I had simple success.

Thanks JJScorpio and everyone else that contributed to this thread. Couldn't have done it without you all!

cuttings

ECSD first to show at 10 days

rooted clones at 14 days

more expected soon

I'm new round here.

~NKM

Last edited:
Thanks a million! I have my first successful clones with this method. Rapid rooters, and clonex. Thank god, because now I have clones off my last remaining white russian seeds (serious). These are awesome plants, and it looks like I'll be growing them for a long time to come.

7 days with three or four roots shooting out of a couple of them.
=)

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm glad things have worked out for all of you. Congratulations on your first rooted cuttings.......

wintermoon

I just wanted to thank you for this very informative thread. My first time doing this was with your method and I was highly successful getting 16 of 20 to root. Just recently did it a second time with 6 of 8 rooted.

You rock JJS! :yes:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
JJScorpio - I was curious if Jiffy Peat Pellets work like Rapid Rooters?? I have taken on the responsibility of being the clone guy for my buddy's crop and have to have a certain amount rooted and ready to go every few weeks and veg them a bit.. We went to Walmart cuz thats all that was open at 1am when he brought me this PK Mother

So I went with a Jiffy tray that holds 72 pellets and has the dome

So I just want to know if I stand a good chance of these rooting following your instructions??? Also wheres the best place to find Rapid Rooters?

pizzadude

peat pots are great as well, and can be bought at any garden store. around here only the hydro shops sell rapid rooters so i switched and it's somewhat the same yes. Just don't let them get and stay too wet....
cut, dip, into peat pot....

i can say i pinch the peat pot at the top around the stem a little after inserting the cuttings. I'm going to try out a perlite wick cloner just for shitsandgiggles to see also...

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thundurkel said:
JJScorpio - I was curious if Jiffy Peat Pellets work like Rapid Rooters?? I have taken on the responsibility of being the clone guy for my buddy's crop and have to have a certain amount rooted and ready to go every few weeks and veg them a bit.. We went to Walmart cuz thats all that was open at 1am when he brought me this PK Mother

So I went with a Jiffy tray that holds 72 pellets and has the dome

So I just want to know if I stand a good chance of these rooting following your instructions??? Also wheres the best place to find Rapid Rooters?

The peat pellets should work fine. I think they're a little harder to control the moisture though.

You should be able to get rapid rooters at any hydro store. If not, google "general hydroponics" and you can click a link to find the closest store to you.....

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Pizzadude - Cool glad to hear it come from someone who switched from Rapid Rooters to Peat Pellets say they are bout the same thanks bro.. I have a bubble cloner and it works great but I wanted to give this a shot for the hell of it...

JJScorpio - Thanks so about the moisture do I want to keep them more wet or what??

N

North

My 2 cent tip,

I mix rootone with distilled water, to get the viscosity of thin pancake batter.
I feel I get better coverage and adhesion to the stem.

GREAT THREAD JJ

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thundurkel said:
Pizzadude - Cool glad to hear it come from someone who switched from Rapid Rooters to Peat Pellets say they are bout the same thanks bro.. I have a bubble cloner and it works great but I wanted to give this a shot for the hell of it...

JJScorpio - Thanks so about the moisture do I want to keep them more wet or what??

You want to just keep them damp.....Good luck.....

johnathanvpr said:
anyone ever make a co2 generator for their cloning dome? I was wondering if the co2 would be good for the clones?

It's couldn't be any easier than the way JJScorpio has laid it out in this thread. I've never had roots of any kind before using the rapid rooters, and I've had 90%+ success rate on my first 50 attempts.

Latest posts

Latest posts