What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning GG#4

Spaventa

Veteran
Are you sure, mate?:biggrin:
This cut was taken from a plant that had flowered around 6 weeks, if i remember it right. It took around 3 weeks+ to show roots, but rooted eventually.

View Image

As a general rule and in the vast majority of case, they don't root or don't root in an acceptable time. This is hair splitting and the length of time it took and condition its in really just proves my point so thanks.

810FireFarm

before taking clones give your mother plant a few topping, then after ~ 2 weeks use the fresh new growth as the clones...medium size is best

snip and directly place into the rooting compound of your choice, the idea here (besides the rooting hormones) is to seal the end of the stem in the gel to prevent air bubbles from forming the first few seconds after the cut is made.

yes the aeros will gradually rinse away the gel but it still prevents the air bubbles getting in the bottom of the cut....since the plant tissue is still alive it immediately begins sealing off the end of stem

10 - 14 days is normal to get roots

mist the clones daily (a few times if possible) with water to prevent the leaves from getting too dry

* GG4 if has woody stems is hard to clone - much easier with new green veg growth

Spaventa

Veteran
Interesting, I look all over the net and back through 15 years of experience. I see a significant number of examples to back up what I posted. I'd say the majority have experienced the same as myself. :)

Keep growing. :)

People saying cuts from flowering plants root quicker than cuts from a mother in veg? I can't find them. Could you post some links?

These links all evidence the fact that it takes longer due to revegging which has to happen first.

https://www.420magazine.com/forums/how-to-grow-marijuana/71947-can-i-take-cutting-plant-flower.html

https://www.420magazine.com/forums/budding-cycle/127900-can-you-clone-flowering-stage.html

https://www.420magazine.com/forums/seeds-clones-and-strains/52540-can-i-clone-flowering-plant.html

https://hightimes.com/grow/grow-qa-can-i-take-clones-from-my-flowering-pot-plant/

GoatCheese

Veteran
As a general rule and in the vast majority of case, they don't root or don't root in an acceptable time. This is hair splitting and the length of time it took and condition its in really just proves my point so thanks.

I show you a photo of a rooted "bud" but you still claim you're provenly right?! LOL
That's funny! :biggrin:

Spaventa

Veteran
I show you a photo of a rooted "bud" but you still claim you're provenly right?! LOL
That's funny! :biggrin:

I said they don't root. I meant typically, or usually. I didn't say they never root ever.. did I? You just proved it takes ages and they look like shit and you think you won the point?

GoatCheese

Veteran
...due to revegging which has to happen first.
Bollocks. The re-vegging growth starts to happen after rooting. Look at my photo. See much re-veg growth taking place? It took a long time after rooting before i saw any signs of re-veg growth.

PS.
I said they don't root. I meant typically, or usually. I didn't say they never root ever.. did I?
LOL What??!!

And yes you did.

"
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is why clones from flowering plants on 12/12 don't root."
..is what you claimed.
[/FONT]

Spaventa

Veteran
I always feed up the mother before taking cuts - I want the cuts to have enough "meat on their bones" to last them till they can fend for themselves.
Also keep mothers on 24/24. Cannabis makes Phytochrome during dark period - that stimulates production of hormones that trigger flowering. If it builds enough, like on 12/12, it triggers flowering. Even 18/6 allows enough to be made to inhibit rooting. I only put them on 18/6 to save electric and slow them down when its not in use. 24/24 vegging is 30% faster and theres nothing the plant needs to do in the dark in vegetive stage.

Aero FTW :biggrin:

Good luck :tiphat:

Look what I said - "inhibit" doesn't mean prevent absolutely.

810FireFarm

clones from a flowering top IS possible...it takes Longer to root, then will funky single leaves veg grow out from the calyx's, then eventually normal leaves will form and grow on from there

Spaventa

Veteran
Bollocks. The re-vegging growth starts to happen after rooting. Look at my photo. See much re-veg growth taking place? It took a long time after rooting before i saw any signs of re-veg growth.

The cutting reverts to a vegetive state in terms of its hormones/phytochrome levels before it roots, then growth happens.

Spaventa

Veteran

PS.

LOL What??!!

And yes you did.

"
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is why clones from flowering plants on 12/12 don't root."
..is what you claimed.
[/FONT]

Did I say never? lol I can say kids are naughty but that doesn't mean Im saying ALL kids are naughty all the time does it?

madalasatori

Veteran
In my experience they root then reveg. Revegging takes forever for me though, a good two to three months before they're growing normal leaves again

Spaventa

Veteran
In my experience they root then reveg. Revegging takes forever for me though, a good two to three months before they're growing normal leaves again

do you know what happened within the clone before it rooted? you tested hormone levels and know it was still in flowering mode on chemical level? forget when you saw new growth - its about the phytochrome levels returning to what they will be in veg.

madalasatori

Veteran
nah I just go by what I see and ime they root then continue to spit pistils for ages until they take on veg growth characteristics

Spaventa

Veteran
nah I just go by what I see and ime they root then continue to spit pistils for ages until they take on veg growth characteristics

Fair enough. I only take cuttings from vegging plants because they root in 7 - 10 days and veg on straightaway. If your happy nursing cuts from flowering plants for weeks and weeks, I guess thats all that matters.:tiphat:

hazyfontazy

Veteran
maybe your waters to warm in the aerocloner

p.s just wondering if you ever read "how to supercharge your garden "?

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
maybe your waters to warm in the aerocloner

p.s just wondering if you ever read "how to supercharge your garden "?

Never even checked the temp. Everything I put in there (apart from the first batch of GG4) roots in 7 to 10 days so never needed to look for a problem with it.
Anyway, Ive heard many other accounts of it taking a long time to root,and most of those guys are using cubes or coco.

My mother being stressed from overseas journey when I took them is still the most plausible explanation.

madalasatori

Veteran
I only take flowering clones in emergencys. I'm shit at cloning, even in perfect conditions my amnesias and gojis take 3-4 weeks for the majority to root (quickest 9 days). I've gone beyond caring I just allow myself more time :)

Spaventa

Veteran
I only take flowering clones in emergencys. I'm shit at cloning, even in perfect conditions my amnesias and gojis take 3-4 weeks for the majority to root (quickest 9 days). I've gone beyond caring I just allow myself more time :)

Nobody can argue with that, not even me :biggrin:

window

Veteran
Although its good to feed up mothers before taking cuts, high N levels can retard rooting time's, or so I've read.
Some feed with bloom formula just before taking cuts as I think the P is supposed to help form roots, or is it the K? Lol.

Spaventa

Veteran
Although its good to feed up mothers before taking cuts, high N levels can retard rooting time's, or so I've read.
Some feed with bloom formula just before taking cuts as I think the P is supposed to help form roots, or is it the K? Lol.

This is it I reckon. I read all that years ago but never had any trouble rooting so never bothered to do it. I always ran weak food on mums most of the time so the feeding up I did only brought them out of deficiency anyway but the flowering nutes for a week it is before cuts :tiphat: