What's new

Clones won,t root.....

V1AAA

even i have a problems

today i took 15 cut's and near all of them fell over

1st time in ages, and the way im anal about things, im just gonna throw them out and take some more

Why do people have so many problems cloning, I don't know, I find it easy.

I'll toss myself on the fire here a bit, total noob reading tons to learn and confused with sometime conflicting info (ie> humidity levels, temps, spray them or not...) I am learning that some of this could be strain specific. My friend/mentor grows great but hasn't put much effort into cloning; he had some supplies to just give me and let me take cuttings on my own with some help.

My first fail was so predictable... too much of everything pretty much. I am in the process of fail #2 (here's a link to the sickness https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=177480 ) My take-away message from the replies was that I needed more air flow and lower humidities. When I showed my friend he was horrified with how dry I had it (?) and suggested keeping the humidity really high for longer. He let me take five more (2 weeks into flower) to practice on, so this will be fail #3, if I succeed... to fail that is.

here is a real question though, do you think cloning at altitude has any effect (ie. like cooking recipe adjustments)?

reckon

aero cloner, a blind monkey will still get a 90 percent success rate

nope

my blind monkey only gets maybe 60%-70% success rates

now my limping chimp, he's a rockstar, he gets 99%

so I have to disagree on the blind monkey thing

:tiphat:

jarff

Af let me cut some clones off his flowering plants (1 week in flower) and voila I had roots in 12 days...so I,m thinkin maybe the strains I started from seed might be the culprit???
The plants from seed were Bog bogglegum..(which I only got one female from them which turned hermie) critical mass which I had go hermie after three weeks in flower...I got some AK 48 in 7 weeks now and looking great..I did get a few clones of the 48 and they did root in 4 weeks..I,m gonna put them in gallon pots in a few days..They (48) are in transparent beer cups and great roots...so Mabbe it wasn,t my poor cloning methods...maybe just some bad plants from seed....I don,t feel so incompetent after all ..maybe..
got an aero cloner so I,m trying all methods now..Think I,ll try a bubble cloner also...It,s getting like work now....
In the end it,s not serious ..I know I,ll get clones to root in time....It,s just another day..

jarff

Che

Veteran
Some plants take a lot longer to clone than others, and the state of the mother plays a role.

I've found that the simplest solutions are often more effective. The perlite and vermiculite methods are so easy and cheap, it's a no brainer. I don't use a dome and/or rooting powder or gel isn't necessary (in my conditions.. 40-50% RH, 21-24* C)
simply soak your medium, drain, make a hole, clip your cutting, snip it up the way you like it and stick it in. Tamp it down a bit, and maybe water with 1/2 strength veg nutes. Place ~4" under T5's and wait... in a couple weeks the perlite/vermiculite will be full of fluffy roots.
I usually only top off with water a few times during the rooting period, basically cycle it from nearly dry to wet and back again a few times. 20 clones cut this way recently went from mother to outdoors in 7 days with 100% success :)

jarff

An update...I bought an aero cloner..and planted 49 clones and lo and behold I,m getting roots after five days....Lookin,good.I couldn,t believe my good luck after struggling for so long and losing so many clones....But alas I won,t count my ducks until they,re hatched...but anyhow my first impressions of the aero cloner is exciting to say the least..
Also cut some critical mass clones and put them in rockwool cubes...If they root then I figure I,m over my hex...I guess we sometimes just can,t get anything right at certain stages of our growing career..I just hope there,s light at the end of the tunnel
jarff