What's new

newly rooting clones leaf pointing straight up?

thanks for reading, sorry for no pictures or detailed history for now, i will try to update later today.
i'm in rockwool cubes on coco, 18/6 light I got from friend is 9w flouro u-shaped thing for small aquarium I am using probably about 7" above. RO water usually once gently in the am. Things were great for 13 days, small roots started to pop from about 4 of 8. Two more the next day. I find spider mites(?) a couple days later and spray with water & teeniest bit of dawn just at lights off. The next day one of the healthiest ones points straight up, leaves are going taco or canoe shaped (opposite of a wilt?).
Others are showing similar signs, roots looking ok but sudden leaf changes have me nervous/freaked out. Any opinions? tia

temps: only thing I have let myself "fiddle" with daily, keep it mid to upper 70's with a heat mat and timer.

air flow: in an aquarium (so maybe not the best) with a crappy home-made glass lid that covered 100% at first then I started opening a crack at two corners a bit more and more. I air it out twice a day (no more), breath near them and stare/talk. After a few days I got the humidity in good shape (I think): the top half sides stay humid with the lower part of the sides mostly dry... I read somewhere this was good (?)

also, forgot to mention, duh, when I started seeing roots I felt like a pro and fed those only with Liquid Karma @ 2 teaspoons/gallon.

updated with photos, just a few days ago all the leaves you see that are twisting upwards were healthier looking and more flat. the one in the second image was almost pointing straight up at first, it seems to have dropped a little (?). tia

Attachments

• try 2 011.jpg
    try 2 011.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 5
  • try 2 005.jpg
    try 2 005.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 8
  • try 2 003.jpg
    try 2 003.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 6

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If the cuts are rooted, they don't really need the high humidity of a covered aquarium. Actually, too much humidity prevents the plants from breathing and doing photosynthesis. I'd get them more air circulation. The soap residue could have blocked some transpiration, too. Plants that small can easily be dipped in soap or neem and then in water to rinse after. Just let them stand coated for 5 minutes or so, long enough to kill the bugs but not long enough to harm the plant. I don't know the LK exactly, but those are small cuts and probably need it mixed to about 1/ 8th strength.

thanks, I was thinking it would be a good idea to reduce the humidity, but I'm newbie and keep second guessing myself, trying hard to to "invent" a new plan every 12 hours. I'll definitely give that a try, probably do it gradually though eh? Here is a link to the Liquid Karma I have http://www.americanagritech.com/supplements/liquid-karma. The analysis is .1-.1-.5. I decided to use it because it is the only nute I have right now (after making my soil and food from the "organics for beginners" thread). The change was just so sudden it has me concerned. I spend 14 days dying for roots, get em, then get spiders, rid of em, then get this crazy leaf message, finding it hard to "relax" and enjoy the show.

does this make sense?
I found it in my studies tonight: "If the water the clone is in isn't bubbling, you should change it everyday after giving the rockwool a good shake. Clones need O2. Without a drain cycle or bubbles, air in the rockwool becomes stale."

do people really "shake" rw cubes with a clone inside? seems dangerous. I dip it in water about halfway then place it all over a paper towel until cube is a lot lighter. I also use an eye dropper for a few drops near the stem. Hadn't thought too much about O2 other than not crushing the fibers of the cube when handling.