What's new

Click here for Afropip Durban Poison, and GN Thai Stick or don't. I dont care.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Hello Dave!
Great pics as usual, and congrats to Mary, nice pics too.
Your GD clones looks very healthy; I m waiting for buds :biggrin:
Big up :tiphat:

Thanks Nico. Glad you like em too. I imagine you're not the only person wanting to see them bud up. Thankfully they're a 10-12 week flowering variety, so we should see some buds real soon if I flower them tonight. The Durbans are growing fast next to them and could use the extra space themselves.

On another note, the last batch of seed varieties I began recently has not started off well. After about a week since sowing the seeds, only half have come up, and about 40% of those that did come up, have died off. Taproots were healthy and white, but the neck right below the cotyledons shriveled up. Many of the ones who have died didn't even get to unfurl their coytledons. They'd break the surface and within 12-20 hours they'd be dead.

The only difference between this batch of seeds and the last is that Im out of Rootshield Plus, and I used 100% reclaimed media for this batch. Ive used reclaimed soil occasionally before, but usually no more than 25%. Maybe its the reclaimed media, or the lack of Rootshield, or both. Ill hold off on starting anymore seeds till I restock on Rootshield Plus. Ill probably buy some more Promix Bx w/Mycos as well just to be safe.

Gonna try to get an update on the batch of Durban F2's tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned.

MaryMaven

On another note, the last batch of seed varieties I began recently has not started off well. After about a week since sowing the seeds, only half have come up, and about 40% of those that did come up, have died off. Taproots were healthy and white, but the neck right below the cotyledons shriveled up. Many of the ones who have died didn't even get to unfurl their coytledons. They'd break the surface and within 12-20 hours they'd be dead.

The only difference between this batch of seeds and the last is that Im out of Rootshield Plus, and I used 100% reclaimed media for this batch. Ive used reclaimed soil occasionally before, but usually no more than 25%. Maybe its the reclaimed media, or the lack of Rootshield, or both. Ill hold off on starting anymore seeds till I restock on Rootshield Plus. Ill probably buy some more Promix Bx w/Mycos as well just to be safe.

Gonna try to get an update on the batch of Durban F2's tonight or tomorrow. Stay tuned.

I'll bet you are right - the Root Shield REALLY makes a difference!! I really do appreciate you telling us about it!! I've never had such good starts on my seeds as I do now that I'm using it. I put a little in the water I soak them in before planting, along with a little dollop of molasses, soak for about 30 minutes to an hour, then pop them into cells with medium (that also has root shield in it) that's been sitting on the seed mat getting all warm and cozy and BAM! do they take off!!! :) Root Shield + Pro-mix is a killer combo!

Ok, is it wrong for me to admit that I giggle like a silly little school girl every time you talk about 'Mr. Nice Shits?' :bigeye: :D

The plants are looking great, as usual! :)

Peace
Maven

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I'll bet you are right - the Root Shield REALLY makes a difference!! I really do appreciate you telling us about it!! I've never had such good starts on my seeds as I do now that I'm using it. I put a little in the water I soak them in before planting, along with a little dollop of molasses, soak for about 30 minutes to an hour, then pop them into cells with medium (that also has root shield in it) that's been sitting on the seed mat getting all warm and cozy and BAM! do they take off!!! Root Shield + Pro-mix is a killer combo!

Ok, is it wrong for me to admit that I giggle like a silly little school girl every time you talk about 'Mr. Nice Shits?' :bigeye: :D

The plants are looking great, as usual! :)

Peace
Maven

Its great to hear you're having good results using that combo. Time for me to get back to doing the same. Im gonna have to steal your prewarming the media before putting seeds in. That's genius! :biggrin: Maybe I should warm the water the seeds soak in too..Doubt it could do harm. Yes, I think Ill do that on my next seed batch. Thanks for the ideas Maven!

Ive got some Rootshield on its way right now, and will be purchasing the Bx soon so I can begin more seeds. Time to give my seeds the start they deserve.

Everyone gets a kick out of the name Mr. Nice Shits, so you're not alone :). On the Mr. Nice Shit subforum it was common for alot of thread titles to be some joke about shitting.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
What Dave likes to do with his Larf

What Dave likes to do with his Larf

Before I get to the Larfdate, have you ever fumbled around in your car for a good spot to stash some buds. Find the right spot, then go to stash it, only to find buds stashed there already! How lucky was I last night to find about an 8th of Durban Poison buds hidden away. I can believe that I forgot about them. I wonder what other places I have bud stashed away in my car or my house..That Ive forgotten about.

Ill no doubt be enjoying those nugs tonight, which is nice since all Ive had is larfy stuff to smoke on lately. Let me show you, what I do with my larfy material to help improve it.

I take a clear, small container and stuff it full of all the larf on hand. I trim it up pretty well even though its larf. OCD forbids me to do otherwise..

picture.php

Dont be afraid to pack alot of larf in there. The more the better. With this container's lid, it presses downward on the buds providing a compressing effect on them. You'll notice there are holes in the lid..Allow me to explain that.

Often times after jarring up recently dried buds, they will often remoisten somewhat over night in a sealed mason jar/container. The buds may have been smoke ready going into the jar, but now they need to air out/burp a bit to reach an ideal state again. With this vented lid, the buds are allowed to continue the 'drying' process uninterrupted. Consider it the burping stage without actually needing to open the lid to burp.

You might think the RH goes down too quickly with the vented lid, but it only dropped by 2-3 RH Points when I tested with my Caliber IV hygrometer.

After about 24-48 hours under the vented lids, the buds will come out tacky, sticky, smell amazing, and be the perfect moisture content for smoking. Then you can place a lid on it with no holes once satisfied. I hope someone else will give this a try with their next harvest of larf or buds. It works just as well with buds as it does larf. Ive got the Early Durbans coming up in the near future to harvest, so Ill show how it looks with buds then.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Nico Farmer

Authentic Strains Farm
I take a clear, small container and stuff it full of all the larf on hand. I trim it up pretty well even though its larf. OCD forbids me to do otherwise..
[/B]
View Image

Dont be afraid to pack alot of larf in there. The more the better. With this container's lid, it presses downward on the buds providing a compressing effect on them. You'll notice there are holes in the lid..Allow me to explain that.

Often times after jarring up recently dried buds, they will often remoisten somewhat over night in a sealed mason jar/container. The buds may have been smoke ready going into the jar, but now they need to air out/burp a bit to reach an ideal state again. With this vented lid, the buds are allowed to continue the 'drying' process uninterrupted. Consider it the burping stage without actually needing to open the lid to burp.

You might think the RH goes down too quickly with the vented lid, but it only dropped by 2-3 RH Points when I tested with my Caliber IV hygrometer.

After about 24-48 hours under the vented lids, the buds will come out tacky, sticky, smell amazing, and be the perfect moisture content for smoking. Then you can place a lid on it with no holes once satisfied. I hope someone else will give this a try with their next harvest of larf or buds. It works just as well with buds as it does larf. Ive got the Early Durbans coming up in the near future to harvest, so Ill show how it looks with buds then.

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

Hi Dave!

I agree, very good technique . I sometimes do the same things,
when I see your post...
Big up

White Rhino
picture.php

Last edited:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Afropips Durban Poison Repro Update

Afropips Durban Poison Repro Update

I know I said Id post this last week, but I kinda got off track with the update. Its here now though. There are exactly 20 DP ladies in veg atm. Things are looking much nicer than they were a month ago. I had stalled growth with too high of feedings early in veg, but upon switching to 0 ppm water for a 3 week period, they bounced back quickly.

Ive only began to reintroduce low ppm feedings of 70-80ppm this past week for some of them. Actually seen some lower leaves yellow and fall off from low N. A few are still on the luxurious end of fert levels, but will catch up soon with 0 ppm feedings as fertility levels drop into the ideal range.

They'll all be transplanted tomorrow. My Rootshield Plus, and Scanmask Beneficial Nematodes arrived recently. Some Promix Bx w/Mycos will get these Durbans off to a real good start when transplanted. If you have a fungus gnat problem, get Beneficial Nematodes. They work much better than anything else Ive ever tried. Mosquito dunks used to work to some degree before, but now its useless against them. Only the BN provides control over those nasty winged bastards.

Like some testers, I too am seeing plants that stretch alot, while others are shorter, more squat.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
These pics illustrate how older fan leaves were too dark, while newer ones are coming in a healthier shade of green.

picture.php

picture.php

This plant has gotten back into the sweet spot. Im very happy with her fan leaves. Now if I could only get them all to look like that.

picture.php

This is my favorite of the bunch. A short squat female with 5 nice even tops after being topped awhile back. Would be 6, but I cut one off by accident when topped. Oops.

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I want to share a quick pic of the syringes I use to water my plants before I get to the Early Durban pics(working on them atm).

The syringe below is a 20ml model that I picked up for my seedlings, clones, pretty much any plant in a small container. I use the 2oz syringes for larger containers. Depending on the pressure I exert on it, I can water drop by drop or a steady stream.

Should anyone ever consider syringes for watering, I recommend the Luer-Lok tips since they are compatible with suction lysimeters. Buy in bulk too, saves you money, and the syringes break down overtime. I usually get 1-3 months useage out of a single syringe.

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Early Durban(Shit x DP) 2 month flowering

Early Durban(Shit x DP) 2 month flowering

Were getting closer to the end on these Early Durbans. Already two months into flower, with just a few weeks to go. Im thinking of taking her down at around 80 Days Flower. Her uptake of nutrients has slowed down, so Ill be giving her frequent 0ppm waterings from here to the end. It currently sits around 1600ppm. Even though ppm levels are no longer declining quickly, lower leaves are beginning to turn a lighter shade of green. Im hoping it will soon reveal if she's loaded with anthocyanin pigments. Id like to see some purpling on her like the Durban x Thai exhibit.

Pistols are browning, and resin glands are beginning to turn amber right now, but she's got some swelling to do before Ill consider her done.

She ended up with leafy buds just like her sister, but at least this girls buds are bigger than her leafy sibling. I wonder if high fertility levels at the onset of flowering had a delayed response(leafy buds), or if its due in part to the Durban half of the cross. Although one sister leans towards the Shit side in terms of bud structure. Very little leaf, and will be the easiest to trim by a mile.

Ill give em a good sniff tonight, and try to work up a description for you all.

Ill try to get some pics of those two up soonish...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

MaryMaven

Hi Dave! :tiphat:

Glad I could give you a little idea for all the great ones you've given me! I always warm my medium for all my vegetable plant seeds, and it just carried over to the 'underground garden.'

I'm lucky, the daughter I grow the CBD rich plants for is a veterinary nurse, so I get all the syringes, in all different sizes, that I need from her. :)

Your plants are looking fantastic! So rich and lush!!

My (Ace) Panama x Malawi girl is coming along nicely. In the last 10 days she has really started strutting her stuff....

Here's her top at day 37 from flipping to 12/12...

picture.php

And this was yesterday on day 48 since flip....

picture.php

I sure hope she keeps packing it on like this - she's gonna make an amazing cob if she does! :)

Peace
Maven

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Hi Dave! :tiphat:

Glad I could give you a little idea for all the great ones you've given me! I always warm my medium for all my vegetable plant seeds, and it just carried over to the 'underground garden.'

I'm lucky, the daughter I grow the CBD rich plants for is a veterinary nurse, so I get all the syringes, in all different sizes, that I need from her. :)

Your plants are looking fantastic! So rich and lush!!

My (Ace) Panama x Malawi girl is coming along nicely. In the last 10 days she has really started strutting her stuff....

Here's her top at day 37 from flipping to 12/12...

View Image

And this was yesterday on day 48 since flip....

View Image

I sure hope she keeps packing it on like this - she's gonna make an amazing cob if she does! :)

Peace
Maven

Its always nice to have a free hookup for the items you need in the garden.

That lady is looking outstanding. She's really progressed alot in the last 11 days or so. Maybe she will be ready closer to the original time table rather than the 100 days or so. Fingers crossed she is.

Looking forward to the cob of her. Should be sine fine smooth smoke that is also fire!

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Random Updates

Random Updates

I wanted to make a quick update on whats going on in the garden lately before I dive into tending to the plants tonight.

Recently I had a 600w Lumatek ballast fail in the flower room, so I decided to replace it with a 315w CMH setup. Ive always wanted to try it, and a failed ballast is the perfect chance. I bought a 'cheap' ballast/reflector combo online. Unfortunately the cardboard box it came in said exactly whats in the box!!!! I think Ill pay a bit more next time for a ballast/reflector that comes with stealth shipping and not take the risk.

I didnt skimp on the bulb though. I purchased the Philips Elite Agro bulb. I considered Ushios CMH bulb, but the Philips has such a good reputation I couldn't resist. I was pleasantly surprised by how bright it was next to my 600w Ushio MH bulb. Not to mention my flower rooms temp dropping by several degrees. Eventually Id like to pick up 3 more 315w CMH setups, and expand my footprint in the flower room, while replacing the 600w Ushio MH. Looking forward to how it performs, as well as the plants under it.

Second random update: I picked up some really small dixie cups(2oz.) to do a micro run. Ive always enjoyed the challenge of growing small plants in tiny containers. My best yet was a 1/2oz. main cola in a 16oz dixie cup with Shit/Haze. I doubt ill come that close using 2oz containers, but lets see what I can do.

Ill have to use the Burpee capillary mats to water them, as there's no way I can hand-water several times a day for plants in 2oz containers. If I can pull it off, this is the perfect way to do a sample run of something new without devoting lots of space to it. I think Ill run 20 Shit x Golden Diesel first, and see what comes of it. Should be fun.

Third random update: So I said I was going to transplant the Durban plants last week, but instead Ill take cuttings of them tonight, and flower out those cuttings in the future. I just dont have the space in the flower room right now, and I wont for 2-3 months. Taking cuttings now will give me enough time to veg them, and I think Ill have healthier plants to flower out. The cuttings from the Golden Diesel are in much better shape than the plants they were cut from, so I think it'd be best for the Durbans

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Well it didn't take very long for one of the Early Durbans to exhibit purpling in the fans. I took this pic on Day 67. A week prior there was no purpling of fan leaves yet, just the buds turning purple as we enter late flowering. I took some shots of her buds as well, that Ill work on and get uploaded soon.

picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
The bud pics of the aforementioned Early Durban will have to wait. I wasn't satisfied with any of them. Ill be buying a new tripod and an improved flash very soon, and will then snap some better quality pics of her. I think she'll be the first one finished, and I may decide to harvest her around Day 75.

For now, I want to give a quick run-down on my medium I use now that Ive gotten more Promix BX w/Mycos in.

Ingredients:
85-90% Promix BX w/Mycos
Rootshield 1/2tblspoon dissolved into a gallon of water
10-15% Calcined DE(OptiSorb available at O'reilly Autoparts) If you can't get Calcined DE, Thrifty Sorb(Calcined montmorillonite clay) is also an excellent choice. Sometimes I mix em 50/50 when they're both in stock.
Osmocote 15-9-12 @ 7.5grams/gallon of media

That one gallon of water was enough to moisten up 4 gallons of media to just the right level of moisture I like. PPM of water was around 130-140(RO water to begin with). Using Dynagro Grow and Protekt together.

No EWC this time though.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I mix everything together thoroughly before I apply the water.

picture.php

All moistened up and ready to be used.

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts