What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Click here for Afropip Durban Poison, and GN Thai Stick or don't. I dont care.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Afropips Durban Poison D Day 64

Afropips Durban Poison D Day 64

And our next update has arrived everyone. Im bringing back our favorite lady Durban Poison D. Our beautiful purple goddess in all her glory. She's quickly approaching the finish line from the look of the buds, yet she still is gobbling down nutrients so fast. Forget maintaining nutrient levels at 1250, let alone 1000. She consumes nutrients faster than I can provide them.

Just to give you guys some context, these are the EC/PPM readings I have taken from her over the last 8 days.

9/13 AM Reading EC: 3.3 PPM: 1650
9/13 PM Reading EC: 2.8 PPM: 1370
9/14 AM Reading EC: 2.2 PPM: 1080 <---Scorched leaf tips began at this stage of low fertility. Fed 16 oz @ 520 ppm
9/16 AM Reading EC: 2.3 PPM: 1130
9/17 AM Reading EC: 2.1 PPM: 1050
9/19 AM Reading EC: 1.7 PPM: 830 Fed 32oz @450ppm

9/21 AM Reading EC: 1.5 PPM: 750 Fed 32oz @ 450ppm
9/21 PM Reading EC: 1.3 PPM: 650 Fed 16oz @ 450ppm

Look closely at the last two entries. I fed her in the AM, and by the PM her fertility levels were lower than when I had fed just 20 hours earlier!!!!

I think many growers at this point would be starting flushing or heavily cutting back nutrients just from the look of the buds, but using EC Measurements of the soil solution, I can see she is still feeding at a fast rate and isn't ready to come down. If you all still haven't went out and bought suction lysimeters for your gardens, shame on you. :biggrin:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The Revolution

Veteran
Also, the durbans I grew were very sensitive to nutes, and I eventually quit feeding them all together, and would only water in compost teas with every other watering.. That purple girl throws me off! She's very nice to look at tho!

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Afropips Teaser Update

Afropips Teaser Update

Im getting tired everyone, and Ive got work in the AM, so its time to squeeze in a teaser update for the other DP females flowering. I thought Id tease you all with a couple pics of one particularly beautiful lady. There isn't a single ugly lady in this group. Theyre all 10's in my eyes.

Day 35 Durban Poison

picture.php

Nice upskirt shot for you pervs out there ;) Here's looking at you Idiit...heh.

picture.php

Ive got tons more pics of the other Durban Poison females to work through before posting. Expect more tomorrow night.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Thanks for joining the thread Revolution and providing your experience with Durban Poison. I too expected something like yours, but I got something entirely different. Is it pure Durban? Maybe, maybe not. DNA Testing now a days will help answer that question if I am able to do it. Ill have to look into if I can do it from a illegal state, or possibly look into passing a sample into someone elses hands in a legal/med state.

Once we get that information that should help clear up the murky background of this Durban Poison.

I would like to encourage anyone who has experience with Durban Poison to share it here. Id love this to become a repository for Durban Poison experiences. If you grew it, or smoked it, share it with us all here. Doesn't matter if it was a fast flowering one like what Im running, or something longer like Revolutions. I want to hear about it and see it if you got pictures. :tiphat:

Time to go tend to the garden everyone. Ill catch up here soon with more Durban pics.
I wonder where the purple comes from in your Durbans. The Pure Durban Poison I grew from African Seed co, had no purples in them. They were distinctively sativa. Everything about them. The overall structure of the plant, aswell as the flower structure. The plants grew tall and thin.. The branches were very long with wispy thin flowers, mostly all calyx. Not quite like the Thai sticks I see pictured beside your DP, but similar. I know Tropical Seed co did a Durban x Pakistani Chitral Kush (purple Paki); I wonder if these are related? No offense but these look more like hybrids, in the way the flowers developed as thick as they did, and the leaves resemble more of a hybrid to me. The pics I took of my African seed Durban Poison are of poor quality, but you should be able to see the difference in these. They're distinguishably pure sativa. The internode spacing in the sparse branches, the thin, long leaves. The Long, thin, wispy buds.

View Image
View Image
View Image

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
I wonder where the purple comes from in your Durbans. The Pure Durban Poison I grew from African Seed co, had no purples in them. They were distinctively sativa. Everything about them. The overall structure of the plant, aswell as the flower structure. The plants grew tall and thin.. The branches were very long with wispy thin flowers, mostly all calyx. Not quite like the Thai sticks I see pictured beside your DP, but similar. I know Tropical Seed co did a Durban x Pakistani Chitral Kush (purple Paki); I wonder if these are related? No offense but these look more like hybrids, in the way the flowers developed as thick as they did, and the leaves resemble more of a hybrid to me. The pics I took of my African seed Durban Poison are of poor quality, but you should be able to see the difference in these. They're distinguishably pure sativa. The internode spacing in the sparse branches, the thin, long leaves. The Long, thin, wispy buds.

G`day R

We need to take into account the amount and type of light each group grew in .

Diffused light through the forest and HPS indoors are very different .
No matter the genotype , plants in the forest will stretch more than plants with sufficient light indoors .

@ DC
I`d say those "Durbans " do look like they may have had an infusion of PCK ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Dave Coulier

Veteran
G`day R

We need to take into account the amount and type of light each group grew in .

Diffused light through the forest and HPS indoors are very different .
No matter the genotype , plants in the forest will stretch more than plants with sufficient light indoors .

@ DC
I`d say those "Durbans " do look like they may have had an infusion of PCK ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

You bring up some valid points Elmer. I have no doubt my plants receive a higher DLI than the ones Revolution grew out before in the forest.

Btw, its actually Ushio MH Opti-Blue bulb not HPS. There's no way you could pay me enough to use an HPS bulb with GN Thai Stick or any pure sativa. Talk about stretch..I saw it once with Sams HazeSkunk. Wasn't fun. :biggrin:

Ive always wanted to grow out PCK. It'd be pretty funny if it ended up being half PCK. Id still enjoy it either way. The color is pretty spot on with PCK, but that could be said for many other purple varieties out there though.

All I can do is grow it out, and try to get a DNA analysis to determine where its from. If Im able to achieve that Ill definitely share the results no matter what they say.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
More Durban Poison

More Durban Poison

This is the rest of the Durban Poison I promised last night.

Pics are from Day 35. Estimated harvest time..70-80 day window.

They're all doing really well and looking great, although a couple are showing some minor N deficiency at the bottom. They're finally revving up and sucking down nutrients quickly. Whereas the last two weeks PPM levels had peaked over 2000ppm during the early-flowering phase. Almost no over-feeding symptoms sprung up on the Durbans unlike my 4 Shit Clones..but that fail is for another day.

Now PPM levels are below 1k on some of them, and showing symptoms of low fertility levels. It's only going to drop faster from here on out over the next month, so Ill probably be doing near daily feedings around 500PPM. 450 isn't enough to cut it for DP-D at this point, so gonna shoot higher for these ones, but I dont want to cross the threshold that gets me regrowth or lots of little fresh green leaves sticking out of my buds. You can spot those annoying little leaves Im talking about in some of these pics. They sprung up when ppm went over 2k.

4grams of Osmocote per gallon of media can be too much during early flowering. Especially if you're also using WSF, or if the plant is in a low light situation, but once you're 4 weeks in, the plants start to over-take the release rates of the Osmocote. The soil solution will quickly deplete unless sustained with repeated WSF applications. My GN Thai Stick is capable of sucking down 1000ppm in a 24 hour period if the plant is large enough during certain points of flowering. Makes it a real bitch to keep them happy and healthy when feeding too strongly causes undesirable growth.

Anyone else want to try some Thai?

Enjoy these pretty Durbans for now everyone.

picture.php

picture.php

This one is clearly going to be done first. Those calyxes are already swelling nicely at the apex of the bud.

picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
More Durban

More Durban

Im not even close to done yet..

This plant demonstrates an early symptom of too high of fertility levels during flowering. Notice the unsightly green leaves at the apex that seem out of place. If you ever see those pop up in your buds, you're probably over-feeding. These sprung up when PPM levels were at 2k+. Can't do anything about them now, but I can stop more from appearing. Shouldn't be an issue from here on out as they're outpacing the release rates of the osmocote now.

picture.php

picture.php

Now for a Purple Geno/Pheno..whatever. Pure Purple Goodness is what she is.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Two more Durban for your viewing pleasure

Two more Durban for your viewing pleasure

3 down and 3 to go ladies and gents. Two more Green, and 1 purple lady left to share.

We've got another quick one here. The green ones appear to be the faster developing ones while the purple ones are slower in terms of bud development and likely to take longer at this point.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Stunning!

picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Well everyone we can nix the PCK theory. I went back into my old emails and looked at my order for the Durban Poison Seeds. I got them in late 2010. Charlie didn't introduce PCK until April 2011.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Very nice garden mate I could look at it all day, thanks for the sweet dream.
Tangwena

Thanks Tang. Ill admit after posting, I like to go back and admire the plants in the pics too. They're just so pretty and its hard not to stare.

If it weren't for the Osmocote though, I would never be able to pull off plants that pretty or healthy. Everyone searches for the special ingredient in their garden to take their plants to the next level, but its as simple as using CRF at the right dosage rates.

Anyone else out there convinced to try a CRF out?

Tangwena

Veteran
Cool I just picked up some zeolite gravel and powdered rock, I am trying to reproduce the volcanic soil nutes for my next grow I am convinced it helps bring out the right tripping terpines. Time will tell.
Tangwena

We know what lines were growing now, but what is my choice for media and nutrition?

Media: Promix BX w/ BioFungicide. I cut it with 15% Calcined DE for its ability to act as a water sponge absorbing and releasing water as needed. A mineral alternative to water crystals you could say, but better. It can also be precharged with P fertilizer to act as a slow release amendment. I often times mix up a batch of WSF and soak the DE in it, then incorporate it into the media. I didn't this time though. Anyone looking to source it can find it known as Axis Regular Soil Amendment, or cheaper as Optisorb at O'reillys Autoparts(it must say from LP minerals on it, else it is likely to break down). This material was screened first to remove the fines before soaking and further incorporation into the media.

View Image

Mixed into the media is Bioworks Rootshield+ Biofungicide in granular form. Its a preventative measure against root rot and will produce some of the whitest most beautiful roots you'll ever grow.

View Image

Nutrition: I am using CRFs incorporated into the media at a rate of 5gr/gallon of media. Osmocote Plus 15-9-12, 5-6 month release formula. I also supplement with WSF feed(GH Flora 3 part) every other watering around .9 EC, 450 ppm. Ill update later with a more accurate nutrient profile.

GH 3 Part Flora 5/5/7 Nutrient Profile:
Total N: 91 ppm
Nitrate N: 85 ppm
Ammonium N: 6 ppm
P: 49 ppm
K: 145 ppm
Ca: 69 ppm
Mg: 35
S: 20

Ive tried WSF only feed before for a long time, but plants never performed as well as plants that received CRF, and it was harder to keep WSF fed plants healthy. Its also a PITA to constantly mix up feed solutions.

I dont know how well this level of Osmocote will work long term. Ive tried it at up to 18 grams/gallon and that was way over-kill at those rates, so I dropped to 5gr/gallon. Anyone else considering CRF should definitely experiment with different rates for best results.

Has anyone noticed a lack of Durban Poison pictures so far? :biggrin:

Is it LP or EP minerals? Also what would the difference be useing the same type product from AutoZone, different name tho i think its either safe t sorb or oil dry something like that.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Is it LP or EP minerals? Also what would the difference be useing the same type product from AutoZone, different name tho i think its either safe t sorb or oil dry something like that.

I could have sworn it was LP minerals on the bag, but I can't find their website atm. Ill be making a trip down to O'Reillys today to buy some more DE. Ill know for sure then. <---Well I just looked through an old thread on DE and saw myself saying EP minerals not LP.

You should be fine using that product, but I still recommend an overnight test of leaving it in a cup of water, and seeing if it retains its shape after soaking all night. Squeeze the clay granules between your fingers after soaking. If they go mushy easily dont use it.

Edit: I just got back from O'reillys and the bag does say EP Minerals on it. Sorry for the confusion. I picked up a bag of DE, as well Calcined montmorillonite clay to try that out as well. May mix them up, may not. Gonna do some more reading on M. Clay before using it.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Cool I just picked up some zeolite gravel and powdered rock, I am trying to reproduce the volcanic soil nutes for my next grow I am convinced it helps bring out the right tripping terpines. Time will tell.
Tangwena

Sounds like a grand experiment. I hope it'll improve your finished product. Ive never used any Zeolite before, but Ive used Azomite long ago. Didn't see any differences that would make me continue using it, but I also wasn't as skilled grower as I am today.

I do believe though different nutrients provide differing terpene profiles, and even the same nutrient can provide different profiles if used in excess. Ive noticed that with CRF when plants are fed just right, or over-fed. Noticeable change in smell of the buds when over-fed, and usually not an improvement in the profile.

beautiful. that first quick durban looks amazing.

Thanks Heady B. I thought DP-D progressed fast, but the first quick one really blows me away. I can see this one being done in under 70 days. From what Ive read, South African Sativas are known to start fast and finish quickly. Afropips Swazi Red I grew out started fast, finished in under 90 days, but had thinner leaves than the DP and not as thick or dense buds but still fairly compact.

Ive also found very contrasting descriptions for Afropips Durban Poison at varying seedbanks. Some say 90-120 days, other 9-12 weeks. Its the internet, I can't say Im surprised.

I should visit the african forum and start poking around and asking questions to see if I can learn more.

Peaceful garden you have mate.

Welcome to the garden RudeDog. I hope you enjoy it. They're my pride and joy. They really are like my children and I do my best to do right by them. :huggg:

Ive got some other pics on my camera, so I think Ill do a Thai Stick update for you all.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
GN Thai Stick - G Update Day 86 Flowering

GN Thai Stick - G Update Day 86 Flowering

This is the Thai Stick that was left over after culling the other two because of nutrition problems. TS-G is one of the faster flowering Thai plants in my garden. Similar to TS-B. You can see some of her in my Thai Album. As a result, she is sucking down nutrients faster than I can replenish, and I have to be extremely careful I dont cross the threshold when feeding via WSF. I dont want the dreaded veg/flowering growth, but I also dont want the plant to show symptoms of N deficiency.

You'll see it in the lower leaves that appear chlorotic and are very droopy. As EC levels decline, leaves begin to lose turgidity from bottom up. Her last measurement had her at under 800ppm. Way too low. I need it around 1400-1500 right now, but I have to slowly rise it to that level over the next week or two of feedings. I brushed up against her the other night and about 5 fan leaves fell off of her. Thats never good.

PICS!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This is a pic of TSE & TSF Clones next to TSA. Ive already got clones rooted and vegging of these two in my t5 room. Ive also moved my clone of TSA into the flower room along with the clone of TSG. So two TSA, and two TSG going at the same time, and a clone of TSE & TSF. Gonna be lots of Thai plants to show off in the future. They've kinda taken a back seat to the Durbans, but they're time to shine is coming.

picture.php

Sorry I dont have any good closeups of her, but Ill try to snap a few tonight to share.

Latest posts

Latest posts