What's new

Ciskei by TTRC & Rosetta Stone 'Low Cost'

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Update: Day 112 part 1

Update: Day 112 part 1

Well... they didn't the last two weeks because I was away. I planned for 1 week but finally it was nearly two and I did neither consider the new roof we got (or rather the fact that it heats the room up even more :( ) nor the hot weather the last few days. Too bad, the Ciskei female nearly died on me due drought! The Rosetta Stone did well, just caught some aphids (the flying adults fortunately got stuck on the resin glands and proliferation was nearly under control :) ). The Ciskei female on the other hand lost all big and medium fan leaves, was all wilted and buds hanging down, one day more and ***. Now that she's watered intensively, she's up and running again.

The male clone I took, although placed on the windowsill, didn't stay in veg and flowered full throttle pollinating maybe 50% of the flowers. So much for making a few seeds LoL.

BTW the Ciskei leaves taste like slightly sour, not fully ripe mango. Must be great for salad! The flowers on the other hand developed a medium strong (still not strong enough to demand a carbon scrubber) pine tree and fir forest smell. I don't like that with cannabis though... Also, the somewhat stall, nearly rotten smell of overripe oranges when rubbing the stem remains; another thing I don't like...
The RS flowers smell greenish at first but leave a 'piney'/resiny smell behind, there are very volatile notes reminding me of a heavy/sweetish smelling tropical flower I can't recall what it was, and hints of cat piss, glue, and amyl alcohol (a sweetish smelling solvent). It's leaves taste a bit like pineapple... all in all a strange blend; wondering how it develops.

Well, the two females still need some weeks and who knows what comes out once dried and cured properly.

Pics will follow this weekend or so ;) .

Last edited:

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Update: Day 112 part 2

Update: Day 112 part 2

Just removed the 150W MH bulb (haven't seen that this one's an 8'000K, sorry bout the initial mistake, gotta edit that) and installed a new Philips MasterColour CDM-TD 942 (4'200K) for the rest of the flowering cycle.

I've also seen that the 100W MegaRay is close to death and I had to exchange it with the 160W zoo version (pretty heavy UV bulb).

I couldn't resist and took a test sample of the Ciskei: Here a pic of it plus a supermacro and a normal macro... didn't know until now that I can see the glands better that way than with my microscope! Looks as if the trichomes are clear in some and cloudy in other places; could be that the cloudy ones are just an optical illusion though.

Attachments

• Ciskei bud Day 112 A.jpg
    Ciskei bud Day 112 A.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Ciskei bud Day 112 B.jpg
    Ciskei bud Day 112 B.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Ciskei bud Day 112 C.jpg
    Ciskei bud Day 112 C.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Update: Day 122 part 1

Update: Day 122 part 1

Sorry dear followers for neglecting the journal the last weeks!!

Here some pictures back from day 122 when I thought the Ciskei female were ready but then she got another flowering boost... What else did I expect from a pure 'sativa' LoL?

The aroma floating in the air around here when she's standing in the sun lost it's original unpleasant notes and steadily shifts towards sweet tropical fruits by the day. The resin sticking to my fingers smells of pine cones and fir forest with a taste of unripe mangos; nothing new there. She's still not smelling very strong but gets better and better!

Nonetheless, I started to harvest some buds here and there when they really looked like they wouldn't develop new flowers and started to show first amber trichomes. But most are still between clear and slightly milky.

Attachments

• Ciskei female Day 122 B.jpg
    Ciskei female Day 122 B.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Ciskei female Day 122 D.jpg
    Ciskei female Day 122 D.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Ciskei female Day 122 C.jpg
    Ciskei female Day 122 C.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Ciskei female side Day 122.jpg
    Ciskei female side Day 122.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Ciskei female top Day 122.jpg
    Ciskei female top Day 122.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Update: Day 122 part 2

Update: Day 122 part 2

The Rosetta Stone is as good as done and I chopped the main cola somewhat after day 122... I left the lower buds because the weather was getting bad and they could need some light and the indoor 200W just don't do the trick (unfortunately, the second reptile bulb burned out too).
Smell... uhhh... the leaves still have some residual mint aroma and the buds when touched give off something errr... dunno how to describe it... more like fridges used in an organic chemistry labs; faint, 'cool' (not cooling like mint of fresh like lemon but like frozen winter air), hollow, shallow...

Attachments

• Rosetta Stone Day 122 A.jpg
    Rosetta Stone Day 122 A.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Rosetta Stone Day 122 B.jpg
    Rosetta Stone Day 122 B.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Rosetta Stone Day 122.jpg
    Rosetta Stone Day 122.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 17

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Update: Day 154

Update: Day 154

And some pictures of today's 'forced' harvest time.
Honestly, it's my fault... last weeks were bad weather so I had to keep her inside and my 'grow cabinet' aka terrarium is a giant light leak. The branches (first pic bottom left and close to the main stem) in good darkness during the night started (again) to push out new flowers last week but the others 'light leaked' ones are finishing up and showed a few nanners. This also because I don't ventilate and it gets pretty hot under the bulbs during the day and hence the foxtailing here and there. But all in all she can take a punch; with all the stuff I did wrong (somewhat on purpose to see how she takes it) it's astonishing how well she does and how much she yielded! Of the ~10 strains I grew till now, the Ciskei, together with the Strawberry Cough, is my best strain far!

Anyway, I removed most of the buds being covered in milky trichomes but let the few nicely flowering ones on and placed her outside so that she hopefully goes back to veg and restarts flowering a second time comes fall.

The male is already in the garden since over a month and revegged nicely; it's a lush bush of 150 cm and still growing. He has some pain to stop flower production though... always here and there a flower or two in the axils. Though, most fall off before they open.

Attachments

• Ciskei male Revegged Day 154.jpg
    Ciskei male Revegged Day 154.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Ciskei female Makro Day 154 B.jpg
    Ciskei female Makro Day 154 B.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Ciskei female Makro Day 154 A.jpg
    Ciskei female Makro Day 154 A.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Ciskei female Bud Day 154.jpg
    Ciskei female Bud Day 154.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 20
  • Ciskei female Day 154.jpg
    Ciskei female Day 154.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Only Ornamental

Veteran
How does she smoke OO?

The buds look sweet:)
Didn't smoke anything (yet)... but made chai tea and some vegetable oil infusion (massage oil for tensed up back muscles).
Not much idea bout the Rosetta Stone... fell asleep too early :) .
The Ciskei has a clear, very pleasant, agreeable high of medium length. Perfect for a day off in the woods; the down-coming is soft and can be 'remedied' easily with some chocolate.
It was f**ing hot and humid yesterday but I still went for a stroll in the forest with my dogs (the alternative, 'quality time' with my wife, didn't encounter much approval by her LoL ) because I couldn't sit still and had to do something. The somewhat low blood pressure and muddy brains certainly were due the weather ;) .

One of the better trips I had, I really like it!
The aroma hopefully improves even more with a proper cure. She's likely not yet the variety I'm hoping to find one day but I'll keep her around for sure.
Even if the smell or high wouldn't fit, I consider the Ciskei worth growing for the simple reason of her being so easy, tolerant, and vigorous. It's simply a pleasure to see her grow!

Last edited:

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Update: Clones

Update: Clones

And here's a short update on the clones I took 74 days ago. Obviously, that was during flowering.
The cuttings showed roots after a week or two in a vase with rooting hormones, were planted into soil roughly a month after being cut, and needed another 2 to 3 weeks to nearly fully revert to vegetative growth and start growing. They surely took more time due the supercropping and subsequent branches forming in nearly every axil.
As you can see, the Ciskei (left) performs better and got quicker out of the malformed leaves state ;) .
The Rosetta Stone clone is weird... more to this in the next post.

Attachments

• Clones Day 74.jpg
    Clones Day 74.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Ciskei clone Day 74.jpg
    Ciskei clone Day 74.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Rosetta Stone clone Day 74.jpg
    Rosetta Stone clone Day 74.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Update: The weird cutting

Update: The weird cutting

Here it is, the Rosetta Stone 'weird cut': I took it from the branch which developed flowers with two calyxes (a calyx within a calyx) and the cutting kept that 'trait'. Unfortunately, I have not seeded this branch well enough or the flowers are sterile... But I'll try to self the cutting when it's ready. Wonder if that 'thing' is inherited. BTW, don't start telling me that selfing an S1 is a stupid idea! I want that mint flavour for one thing and try and see what happens with a truly homozygous example (like an S5 or S6) for another. ;)

Attachments

• Rosetta Stone doubled calyxes C.jpg
    Rosetta Stone doubled calyxes C.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Rosetta Stone doubled calyxes B.jpg
    Rosetta Stone doubled calyxes B.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 16
  • Rosetta Stone doubled calyxes A.jpg
    Rosetta Stone doubled calyxes A.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 17

Only Ornamental

Veteran
What I forgot to mention: Flowering times!
The Rosetta Stone, according to the Brothers Grimm, is done in 7 to 8 weeks. The main cola in my case was ready at about 9 weeks after the real flowers showed (~1 week after switching to flowering cycle).
The Ciskei, according to The Tropical Seed Company, needs 8 to 9 weeks. In my case, the first buds were ready, due the drought during vacations, after less than 7 weeks whereas today's harvest was quite precisely after 10 weeks (same definition as above).
I think that she could be done in less than 8 weeks when dialled in and with proper flushing but without the drought, bad weather, heat accumulation, light leaks, and poor light intensity. But she might as well be used in an eternal harvest-reflower cycle because she, unlike the RS, show no signs of senescence yet. Due to that, the smoke might be harsh though... but that remains to be tested and isn't her fault.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Update: Curing Buds

Update: Curing Buds

We had very rainy but rather warm weather with a high humidity more or less the whole month long. Hence, the buds are drying and curing very slowly... the fluffy Ciskei buds a bit faster and more even than the very dense Rosetta Stone nuggets.
The developing aromas of the Ciskei are really nice sweet tropical fruits and flowers when opening the curing box :D . Though, the resin rubbed between two fingers is a very resiny-piny fragrance.

My curing box is a plain styrofoam box where I've cut a hole in the lid and sealed that one with an 'OptiCell' semipermeable membrane (usually used for cell cultures) to allow small molecules, such as CO2 and ammonia, to diffuse out but keep the water and humidity in.
Soon, I will place a saturated solution of table salt in there to maintain a constant 70% rel. humidity.

The pictures are of an untrimmed Ciskei bud.

Attachments

• Ciskei Dry Bud A.jpg
    Ciskei Dry Bud A.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Ciskei Dry Bud B.jpg
    Ciskei Dry Bud B.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 18
  • Ciskei Dry Bud D.jpg
    Ciskei Dry Bud D.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 17

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Update: Effects and high

Update: Effects and high

So far, I've consumed the Ciskei as chai tea and bhang. I also prepared a massage oil from it (like cannabutter with oil instead of butter) which gets at least my wife high.

No matter the application, the high is clear and focussed, sharpened senses, perfect day time 'smoke/tea', motivating with the need to move around, do something, go for a stroll in the woods or at the riverside. It gives inner peace, equilibrates, but keeps the mind open.

The most important thing though is the muscle relaxing activity. Never did I experienced such a great effect on tensed up muscles with cannabis (only with prescribed drugs but this time without the fatigue)!
The massage oil starts acting on the musculature after 15 minutes and gets to the head after about an hour. The major side effect is an increased demand for cuddling (and more) :D . I'm usually no sex, drugs, and Rock'n Roll (or rather some other type of music when massaging) all together type... but with the Ciskei... the altered senses, the need to be active, the muscle relaxation... errr... lets get back to the muscle relaxing effect:
So far I only experienced two forms of muscle relaxation with cannabis. The first one is with heavy couch lock weed, when I'm already molten halfway through the couch and stopped caring, then I think I also stop bothering with tensed up muscles. Don't know if I really was relaxed or simply didn't care :) .
The second one is with weed that lowers my blood pressure. For example the Critical + from last year is like my blood pressure went bungee jumping and when the ground got very close very fast tried to pull the line... and then realised that bungee ropes don't really work like parachutes LoL. Obviously, me getting all weak knees and such isn't due to relaxed muscles, I guess.
And now the Ciskei, it is like a high dose of prescribed muscle relaxing pills but without the fatigue. It's freaking awesome (if you don't pull a new muscle of two during mattress exercise)!

The Rosetta Stone on the other hand... always took it too short before bed time and fell asleep within the hour after drinking. So I guess it's good for sleeping :D .

shaggyballs

Veteran
Hey OO
I did not know you were a shutterbug.
Very interesting approach to cannabis.
You stuff outside hides very well!
Very interesting on the massage oils!
I may look into that for myself too.
Great work and keep us informed.
Shag
:smoke out:

shaggyballs

Veteran
I keep coming back to look at your plants they are so different than what I am used to.

Freakishly interesting!!!

You got me thinkin' is there more to cannabis than bag appeal?
I mean sometimes it is not all about looks and yield.
I love the cure box idea......I have to look into this concept more.

Any more pics?
See ya round the garden......and stop pointing that bug spray at me???
shag

Only Ornamental

Veteran
More pics shall come soon!

Bag appeal and yield: My stuff never ends in a bag unless it's a teabag and yield doesn't matter; if stash's out, it's out... until I grow some new plants.
True, the Ciskei are different. And honestly, I like these more 'sativaish' ones way more in terms of growing flexibility and effect.
Winter run is germinating; some 'pollenchucked Dutchies' and landrace x hybrids I got as present as well as some heirloom hemp varieties. Anyway, next year's schedule will focus on some more NLD landraces (not yet sure if focussing on Ace, CBG, or RSC) alongside my Finola crosses.

PS stop taking whatever chemicals you take and go back to weed! I repeat THERE IS NO BUG SPRAY! You're just having a bad trip!

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Update: Male & Clones

Update: Male & Clones

Until new pictures arrive, here the clones at day 117 and the re-vegged male at day 197. Both pictures were taken at the end of August at flower initiation.
The clones are doing great! Thanks to the re-vegging, they are heavily branched. This time, I'll only bend the branches a bit if they start to tangle up; else, there won't be any other manipulations. In the back are some bent-over girasoles, the only stuff apart from cannabis that grows well in my garden. Too bad that only our dogs love them :) .
I had to cut the male down a bit at his 200's birthday day (or something like that) because it was starting to flower to heavily. BTW, he's in a 20 litre pot now and had about 2.5 meter in hight! In front of him are his roughly 5 week old babies: the next generation Ciskei and a Rosetta Stone x Ciskei grown under 13/11 and in flowering since the age of 4 weeks. On the left border is the 'stump' of the Ciskei female. She and the RS didn't went back into veg... well, should have put them under constant light. But there's no free space left inside ;) .
I planned on doing some experiments with the male but the magic is still on the way over the big pond (curtsy by Shag: Thanks in advance!). We'll see if it won't be too late...

Besides, most plants I have outside went into flowering the week after day length dropped below 14 hours sunlight.

Attachments

• Ciskei & RS Clones Day 117.jpg
    Ciskei & RS Clones Day 117.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Ciskei male Revegged Day 197.jpg
    Ciskei male Revegged Day 197.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Latest posts