What's new

Chinese yunnan indica

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Just got to try a friend's Yunnan flowers and Ellis's description of the high is about spot on. I was expecting it to be nearly the same as the dense squatty Orient Express I had, and while it shares some effects, its totally different.

The high is happy, chatty, but definitely indica - mellow and relaxing but without any hint of couchlock. Just a feel-good indica that allows you to be social while smoking. Orient Express is more energetic, more motivating and stimulating.

I can see what Dubi says about how he thinks this is the connection between traditional kush indicas and southeast asian sativas (thai in particular). The high has almost muted notes of a thai sativa's high, similar to a thai x kush cross that was then back crossed to the kush (but without the gasoline kush taste/smell). I really like the effect of this line for after-work relaxation, it holds the same level of reward as say, coming home to a cold beer.

The smell on the flowers I got is different. I can't put my finger on it, a warm sweet fruit smell with a creamy note, but kinda.. funky - like the crumbs at the bottom of a box of fruit loops and cheese maybe? I've had my nose in the jar for the last 5 minutes trying to come up with a description and that's the best I can do. Maybe a little thai sandalwood but warmer and more floral than that.. It's a very interesting smell.

Expect to see me running this one in the future - I think my need for a pleasant indica that doesn't knock me to the ground has been filled.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Hello Ellis110100100.
Is the Yunnan Chineta really strong? I ask because I have grown thousands of Yunnan and found many of them tasty as hell, smells great and little to zero high. I collected the batches of seeds in China from many trips.
When I tested the plants via GC none had even 1% THC.
I do agree they smell like Afghan and Thai plants can smell. It was me that proposed it more then a decade ago, that Yunnan was the parents of both Afghan Indica's WLD and Thai which is a wide leaf Sativa or a WLD/NLD hybrid. I proposed it to Robert Clarke and he disagreed for years but he did come around and now agrees with me.
Is the Cannabis you grew better in taste or effects?
All the best,
-SamS

Rinse

Veteran
Hi Sam did you test your Chinese lines for CBD?
A tasty and stable CBD landrace is something I would be interested in and Im sure many others, bet it would make nice medicinal oil.
Do you believe weed originates in China or do think the jury's still out on that one?
Cheers.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Yes I did but others have much more CBD then Yunnan, the highest was 3% out of thousands.
-SamS

Hi Sam did you test your Chinese lines for CBD?
A tasty and stable CBD landrace is something I would be interested in and Im sure many others, bet it would make nice medicinal oil.
Do you believe weed originates in China or do think the jury's still out on that one?
Cheers.

Hello Ellis110100100.
Is the Yunnan Chineta really strong? I ask because I have grown thousands of Yunnan and found many of them tasty as hell, smells great and little to zero high. I collected the batches of seeds in China from many trips.
When I tested the plants via GC none had even 1% THC.
I do agree they smell like Afghan and Thai plants can smell. It was me that proposed it more then a decade ago, that Yunnan was the parents of both Afghan Indica's WLD and Thai which is a wide leaf Sativa or a WLD/NLD hybrid. I proposed it to Robert Clarke and he disagreed for years but he did come around and now agrees with me.
Is the Cannabis you grew better in taste or effects?
All the best,
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman: The Yunnan's potency is comparable to modern hybrids and other WLD varieties. I prefer it's effects over it's taste but that could just be personal preference. I'm running 4 tests, two Yunnan and two Strawberry Cough x Cinderella 99 and I bet they aren't too far apart for THC content. Just waiting till the house is empty to play chemist.

I'll skip over the process involved since that's not the topic here.

Cannalytics kit

Here is a scan of the TLC plate and the included chart. These tests are best for detecting the presence of cannbinoids and their ratio's to each other and not so much about % concentrations. I should note that everything was decarboxylated prior to testing in a 110C oven for 60 minutes. If anyone is curious about the process I'll post in another thread.

line 1 and 2 are Yunnan and 3 and 4 are Strawberry Cough x Cinderella 99.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
So according to the TLC test what were the THC and CBD levels? I had trouble trying to figure it out you say you decarboxylized but why so much of the acids? I understand that TLC is better at qualitative then quantitative, but was interested in what you thought the results were?
Also I noticed at the Cannalytics web site their example (see below) was different then yours? The Cannabinoids are listed in a different order, Why?
-SamS

I'll skip over the process involved since that's not the topic here.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=52405&pictureid=1223024&thumb=1]View Image[/url] Cannalytics kit

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=52405&pictureid=1223025&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=52405&pictureid=1223089&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Here is a scan of the TLC plate and the included chart. These tests are best for detecting the presence of cannbinoids and their ratio's to each other and not so much about % concentrations. I should note that everything was decarboxylated prior to testing in a 110C oven for 60 minutes. If anyone is curious about the process I'll post in another thread.

line 1 and 2 are Yunnan and 3 and 4 are Strawberry Cough x Cinderella 99.

Attachments

• fullfingerprint.jpg
    fullfingerprint.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 32
decarboxylation was definitely incomplete which makes it hard to say how much THC was present. I'm still trying to work out the best and most complete method. I'd say there's ~2-3% CBD in each of the samples. sample size was 100mg so roughly 20-30mg CBD/gram

I'm not sure why the full fingerprint you found was different. as far as I knew the company (Alpha Nova) had gone out of business. Maybe they are still around and have an updated kit? I'll have to check.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I though it was a (Cannalytics)? test kit?
-SamS

decarboxylation was definitely incomplete which makes it hard to say how much THC was present. I'm still trying to work out the best and most complete method. I'd say there's ~2-3% CBD in each of the samples. sample size was 100mg so roughly 20-30mg CBD/gram

I'm not sure why the full fingerprint you found was different. as far as I knew the company (Alpha Nova) had gone out of business. Maybe they are still around and have an updated kit? I'll have to check.

A

Asche

i dont know why you people are so keen on that
but i say its not really so important how strong it is
please dont be angry if i may have understood that wrong

yunnan is also quite a big region so maybe sam got them
from another place than ace and even if its the same
some selection and a little patience may have
a good impact on the further breeding process.

i also believe that its about a plant which is enjoyable
and not so much about how strong it is.
that plants that are not so extreme in potency
can have beautiful highs either is i hope
out of the question.

yunnan is not only curious as a plant for sure
and sure also interesting from the aspect of country
but also what you can make out of it.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Asche,
Have you ever bought Cannabis?
If yes, did you pay the same for the very best vs the very worst, or the weakest vs the strongest? I suspect not, why is that. It is because most people prefer strong Cannabis over weak Cannabis and will pay more for it. I understand that some people prefer cannabis with more taste then effects, so they can smoke less of a strong one if they like, or smoke weak, tasty, Cannabis if you really prefer it. I can understand that you personally don't believe it is important how strong it is, but most would pick the stronger of two at the same price....

As for Yunnan seeds, I got seeds that I collected on several trips to China, I used the seeds Rob Clarke collected on numerous trips to China, I used Yunnan seeds others collected in China, including several Chinese that were collecting for us all the time. Our goal was to obtain as many different seed batches from different areas in Yunnan as we could find. Several hundred successions, kilos of seeds. We also analyzed Yunnan herbal Cannabis bought in Yunnan as "drug" Cannabis from Chinese or given to us by travelers, none were really potent, 1-2% THC with as much or more CBD.
I have grown more Yunnan seeds then anyone you know, tens of thousands, for a decade, I tested them all for THC, CBD, THCV, etc.
None were potent, even over 3% THC and they often have as much or more CBD, But I will agree that some are pretty tasty and have interesting smells. They are just not potent and that is on the top of my list, potency as long as I like the type of high.
I wonder, do you think that potency and a beautiful high are exclusive of each other, can't you have a beautiful high that is potent as hell? That is what I and many others prefer.
I do agree that Yunnan can be used to create hybrids or maybe with enough years selection a pure Yunnan can be bred that is potent and tasty with a beautiful high. Or if you want un-potent tasty with a beautiful but weak high.
I will be honest, I like potent, tasty, with a beautiful high. With out the potency I would smoke something more potent that has the high and taste I like. To each their own, but I can understand why some people do not prefer potency, can you understand that most do prefer potent Cannabis products? Then they can smoke less.
-SamS

i dont know why you people are so keen on that
but i say its not really so important how strong it is
please dont be angry if i may have understood that wrong

yunnan is also quite a big region so maybe sam got them
from another place than ace and even if its the same
some selection and a little patience may have
a good impact on the further breeding process.

i also believe that its about a plant which is enjoyable
and not so much about how strong it is.
that plants that are not so extreme in potency
can have beautiful highs either is i hope
out of the question.

yunnan is not only curious as a plant for sure
and sure also interesting from the aspect of country
but also what you can make out of it.

Last edited:
Sam: Sorry for the confusion. Yes it is a Cannalytics kit. They're made by a Dutch company called Alpha Nova. When they went out of business I bought the kits in bulk.

Asche: It's about being curious, it's a tool for breeding, it's a search for the best medicine and to better understand why people end up draw to a particular variety. Plus, it's fun : )

A

Asche

yes ellis, i would agree on that, but i also know that many people
have their own preferences regarding the complexity of the high.

if somebody prefers a knock out stone where you cant even think straight anymore
to an inspiring cerebral kick which can help you solving things in a far more inspired way
then thats sure up to them. (sure also considering medical properties)

but this trend always to be stronger, more, better quicker, sooner
this is not my way, its the question of necessity which decides then on how much.

and most definitely we have enough strong knock out strains around.
thats not a preference which has to be fulfilled by every strain i hope!!!

just to be sure that i am not misunderstood, i am talking about knock out
as an example of how to describe "wanted" properties of the plant.

Sam: Sorry for the confusion. Yes it is a Cannalytics kit. They're made by a Dutch company called Alpha Nova. When they went out of business I bought the kits in bulk.

Asche: It's about being curious, it's a tool for breeding, it's a search for the best medicine and to better understand why people end up draw to a particular variety. Plus, it's fun : )

HPTLC?

HPTLC?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Asche,
Have you ever bought Cannabis?
If yes, did you pay the same for the very best vs the very worst, or the weakest vs the strongest? or the tastiest vs the not tasty, I suspect not, why is that?
It is because most people prefer strong etc Cannabis over weak Cannabis and will pay more for it. I understand that some people prefer cannabis with more taste then effects, so they can smoke less of a strong one if they like, or smoke weak, tasty, Cannabis if you really prefer it.
I can understand that you personally don't believe it is important how strong it is, but most smokers would pick the stronger with the taste and effects they like most of the two at the same price, and just smoke a little less....
Or am I wrong?
I guess a few smokers would pick taste over strength or effects, maybe you are one of them?
But be honest most people do not smoke for taste, they smoke for effects, don't they?
I mean would you smoke Cannabis that was the best taste you ever had but zero effect?
Why not?
FYI, terpenes are inherited separately from the psychoactive effects. I crossed an Original Haze with a no THC hemp variety, made f1 seeds, grew them out, made f2 seeds from a bunch of the F1 seeds, then analyzed via GC the f2 plants when grown out and when analyzed found some with zero THC and they smelled exactly like Original Haze. Maybe it is what you are looking for?
Or cross it with another high THC haze and get medium potency with great taste?
I do not see problems, I see solutions.
-SamS

yes ellis, i would agree on that, but i also know that many people
have their own preferences regarding the complexity of the high.

if somebody prefers a knock out stone where you cant even think straight anymore
to an inspiring cerebral kick which can help you solving things in a far more inspired way
then thats sure up to them. (sure also considering medical properties)

but this trend always to be stronger, more, better quicker, sooner
this is not my way, its the question of necessity which decides then on how much.

and most definitely we have enough strong knock out strains around.
thats not a preference which has to be fulfilled by every strain i hope!!!

just to be sure that i am not misunderstood, i am talking about knock out
as an example of how to describe "wanted" properties of the plant.

Last edited:
A

Asche

as i wrote Sam i dont believe that its necessary that all plants
include all properties some or maybe even many seek out for.

if you see the value also as a tool for breeding –>
then why not considering this example which we talked about
with the swiss erdbeerli and accept the plant in this stage as it is
to see further potential in breeding and experimenting with it.

and not hairsplitting on the potency which relevancy
only would be fulfilled if you tried to streamline
and assimilate it towards all other knock out strains.

i dont want to deny the sense of breeding towards potency
but not to be misunderstood, you select towards your fancy ideas
and you may also miss out on possibilities equally.

in the end we take ourselves the possibility to experience
a diverse complexity in which everybody could find exactly
what is needed, and thats for sure not only the strongest.

Sam: Do you have any ideas why this Yunnan line would be so high in THC as far as it's heritage?

Asche: I like to think of it like wine. we could all make something strong but that's besides the point. Its about what works for each of us. I know I liked Ace's Yunnan line enough to treasure its seeds. a friend is putting some outside at 45 degree's north this spring and I think it'll do just fine.