What's new

Chem Dog look out there's a new kid in the garden!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a 600watt hps will only penatrate 18inches of foliage and will only cover a square metre fact! if you want to grow 4 to 6 ft montsters your gonna need atleast 1000ws ;)

I don't know how you are growing but the 600w are good for a 3x3 foot print. 600w are more efficient then 1k. I use 2 600w in a 4x4x7. I get 1.5lbs every 4 months. As the name implies, HID lights have a higher intensity and penetrate farther.

50-70W penetrates about 1ft
150-250W penetrates about 1.5ft
400-600W penetrates about 3ft
1000W penetrates about 4ft

As for depth concerning lights. lumen output is the most important factor to an indoor, artificial light grower. lumen count will determine exactly how well your plants produce. there are two things to keep in mind, a) the footprint of the growing area you want to grow in will determine watts, b) the number of plants you would like to grow in that area.

picture.php

Last edited:
A square meter is is the same thing as 3'x3'. Using the inverse square law, 600w hps is optimal as far as 3' from the bulb. However, you would keep it 18" from the canopy unless you were aircooling it well, leaving 18" penetration under the canopy.

See? You guys weren't even really disagreeing.

I don't know how you are growing but the 600w are good for a 3x3 foot print. 600w are more efficient then 1k. I use 2 600w in a 4x4x7. I get 1.5lbs every 4 months. As the name implies, HID lights have a higher intensity and penetrate farther.

50-70W penetrates about 1ft
150-250W penetrates about 1.5ft
400-600W penetrates about 3ft
1000W penetrates about 4ft

As for depth concerning lights. lumen output is the most important factor to an indoor, artificial light grower. lumen count will determine exactly how well your plants produce. there are two things to keep in mind, a) the footprint of the growing area you want to grow in will determine watts, b) the number of plants you would like to grow in that area.

picture.php

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
hahaha I agree on 600s being more efficient than 1ks and if I had a bigger tent it would be either 2 600s or 3 400s I would most likely take the 3 400s though cuz more points of light is ALWAYS better or so say Jorge Cervantes in his book...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I kept mine at 8" using cooltubes I can get closer but have experienced light bleaching. The plants average hidth are 4 feet. I could net see doing this in a tent without cooling so that is a given. I have never seen anyone keep there lights 18" from the canopy at least none of the people I know do. In an open environment we keep them no more than 12" from the canopy.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how far is your 400. Here is the garden I moved the light to get a better look. I love my light hangers they make it so easy to raise or lower the light. Theres 9 plants in here the 3 in front where just placed into flower.

49915DSC00103.JPG

In this pic you can see how tall they get.

49915DSC00305.JPG

Just before harvest

picture.php

Last edited:
a 600 watt will obviously penatrate more that was not my point my point is leaving the 600w 2 feet above the canopy or a foot if you wamma risk it will give rock hard buds throughout a 18inch foliage anything higher than 18 inch becomes bottom scrup and pure fluff sorry for the wierd type up im feckin mangled

Longhair

The only issue I have with your thread is the title bud. .

Hello Thundurkel,
Don't Change A Thing! It's Only His Opinion, Which Only Matters To Him. As Mine Only Matters To Me.

Good Luck! OH If You Do Suceed A Few Seeds Would Be An Honor!

:thanks:
Longhair

Hey, how long have you been running the Dr. Bud method, and what's your min/max weight per cut been? I think someone asked a couple pages back but it might have been lost in the confusion.

Also, do you still have a mom, or are you gonna reveg these cuts? Have you given any more thought to S1s?

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
No no no no!!! I was smart and made a mom from the original seed and have made 2 more since I've seen what she can do... I'm gonna let her 8-9 weeks for sure cuz the resin is stacking up under the secondary leaves like crazy! Also the purple is really coming through now and I see the undersides of the fan leaves turning purple like a true purple strain does at least the ones I've run..

good stuff bro good stuff!
come check me out over at the sites forums to talk in private bro im there the rest of the night so feel free to pop in any time another couple of weeks the site should be running perfectly just a few little touches and presto its all gravy baby ;)

scorpion-seeds-inc.co.cc forums find me there

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
I'd love to have this challenge placed on me for good money. I'd win.
I guarantee I can grow in a 2ft tall 400w cab with no problems.
It's all a matter of method.

I should have mentioned the deal breaker, it has to be stealth as possible. How many CFM would you run in say a 2x2x2 with a 400w? The radiant heat at the bulbs requires more than the standard rule of thumb for plants to grow. I'm sure you could do it, but CFLs are hands down a better option in my opinion. Or of course a smaller HID :)

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
First off, you put a large bulb in a cool tube.
And second, rules of thumb are for fingerless folks.

My cab is 19" x 23 " and although it is 5ft tall, the lights are right down at the bottom at plant level, vertically. a 400CMH and a 150HPS...stays cool as a cucumber. Well...actually I have a 400HPS in there right now for a comparison.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Day 47 and 9 more to go!!!

Day 47 and 9 more to go!!!

Ok so I have some day 47 pics and I am going to take these bitches at least 60 days cuz they are just getting more and more gorgeous the longer they go! If you haters can't see the purple now I feel bad for you eyes :eggnog:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

looking pretty damn good IMO can't wait till :tree: