What's new

Chem/Diesel/OG/Blueberry crosses

TheBlaze

Yeah, I've always heard dry trimming best. So I gave it a bash a few runs back, and it does seem to be marginally better. Also, it allows me to trim over a few days instead of trying to do it all in one go.

The satellite trimmer is supposed to be the best. It is pricey though at $9500.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Make sure to collect the trichs while u trim, over a screen if you can. You can get some melty shit with out trying.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree that mechanical harvesting trashes the end product. Always looses that homegrown quality at the last leg in the race.

When trimming, I always remove all the fan leaves when wet and leave the sugar leaves intact to hang dry. Then the second trim is always much quicker and there is no sorting required between grades of trim. You still get a slower dry, but MUCH faster than had you left the whole plant intact. General drying times till stem snap are between 5-8 days for me.

I also stop watering the plants entirely about 3-5 days before harvest. This practices forces the plant to use nutrient reserves within it's leaves the last few days which makes for a much smoother and cleaner burning product. It also means they don't take two weeks to dry because moisture levels are already some what reduced.

dank.Frank

TheBlaze

I must try that trick of dehydrating them next time then.

I watered them right until the day before harvest.

Thanks for the tip Frank.

Dabtime

Everything has me drooling Blaze! Would love to have some glue in my stable.

I've never been a fan of any trimming machines, but I DO understand the feeling of wanting one that's for sure haha. Dry trim by hand is the way to go in my opinion, strip fans and hang.

I have only ever gone the day before harvest without watering to help finish off senescence and dry out a bit, but I grow in 100% coco. dankfrank what medium do you grow in and what size plants and pots? I've been afraid to cut off the water sooner, thinking I'd fry my ladies leaving them under a 630cmh for to long before chop. My plants end up being around 30-40 inches from the tops of their 1 gallon fabric pots to their cola tips so they dry up fairly quick , would you think they would still be ok to go 3 days or just in soil? Might help with trimming.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Frank and i grow in organic soil so we have a buffer of water in the fungal hyphae and the soil, the cells of living organisms etc. A day or two in coco is enough but you will get a salt buildup which takes water from the plant. With coco just use ph water for longer to get a more pronounced senescence.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
I do the opposite. I flush heavy the last 2 weeks and 24 hours before harvest, I give them one last flush. It ensures nothing but clean water is drawn into the plant that day before harvest. I get the purest taste from my meds this way.

King Rat

I'll dry trim for the first time. Heard nothing but good things about harvesting that way.
before harvest i do the same like OvergrowDaWorld said, except i'll give them the last watering 48h before cut.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I do the opposite. I flush heavy the last 2 weeks and 24 hours before harvest, I give them one last flush. It ensures nothing but clean water is drawn into the plant that day before harvest. I get the purest taste from my meds this way.

It certainly depends on what growing system you are using, but for organic soil growers, "flushing" is quite literally impossible. The only way to get the same effect, is to create an environment in which the roots cannot take up any new nutrition. Severe drought, effectively accomplishes this. If no new nutrition is entering the plant, it is forced to it's reserve supply, held within the leaves. Drought can help expedite senescence as well, which chemically, should have triggered already and reduced the plants uptake anyway.

The goal is the same, but flushing accomplishes this via rinsing the media of any nutrition with massive amounts of water. If I attempted that technique in my soil, it'd be so water logged for days and the plants would likely begin to show root rot and mildew/mold could start to take hold. A high CEC soil has way too many chemically bound nutrients that don't simply just rinse out.

I've always felt that plants seem to drink far less in the last week anyway.

dank.Frank

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
I seen those buds i believe u lol. God speed survival of the fittest, we will get you off the corner after this one bru.

theJointedOne

Veteran
I agree that mechanical harvesting trashes the end product. Always looses that homegrown quality at the last leg in the race.

When trimming, I always remove all the fan leaves when wet and leave the sugar leaves intact to hang dry. Then the second trim is always much quicker and there is no sorting required between grades of trim. You still get a slower dry, but MUCH faster than had you left the whole plant intact. General drying times till stem snap are between 5-8 days for me.

I also stop watering the plants entirely about 3-5 days before harvest. This practices forces the plant to use nutrient reserves within it's leaves the last few days which makes for a much smoother and cleaner burning product. It also means they don't take two weeks to dry because moisture levels are already some what reduced.

dank.Frank

The nutrition is in the root zone, leaves simply (although extremely importantly) utilize photosynthesis.

I hang with some fans, and I find the dry time not affected at all by comparison.