What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CHEM D - Fake or Real?

ICGA

The variegation comes with elevated calcium and potassium. Youre looking at unmetabolized calcium in the presence of potassium, blocking the movement of boron, which will shift the fatty acid profile of the plant.

Chem vocs are aliphatic (derived from fats). Cannabinoids are aliphatic. So what is Chem D? The boron deficient pheno? Intentional? Or a boron hungry pheno with an affinity for fatty acid production? All these photos of variegation are unintentional? Am I supposed to withhold boron to get the Chem D flavor or not? Would Chem D smell like Chem X Y or Z when grown without calcium-potassium injury?

Who knows. Maybe in 20 years Monsanto will tell us what Chem D actually is, since the grower and smoker communitys can't standardize a set of traits for something which is nothing but distinct traits that need standardized.

Youll never see variegation in Chem D with proper boron ratios. That's a fact. Why is it so hard to get an answer on whether that's the goal or not, to shift fatty acid profile in the plant?

Does Boron deficiency make bud more dank? Is that what I'm missing?
lol making a leaf variegated shouldnt have a direct effect on the budding sites, and nutrient stress will slow metabolic process lowering resin production. It was not bred in an organic grow room and is probably to homozygous to adapt well to environments (including nutrient absorption) that it wasnt selected for as its pretty much for sure an s1 bag seed. It probably only likes force feeding in DWC style situations. If you grow the plants in the environment they were selected in they should more closely resemble the phenotype your looking for. Also chem is pretty fast flowering to be progeny of nevils have, but both chem and nevils haze for sure have northern lights in them.

Last edited:

ICGA

this may be true on a micro nutrients level as the cause, but it skips the question of why the plant is unable to properly metabolize the micronutrients. and this is almost always due to a genetic abnormality most often in the mitochondrial dna but it could also be aneuploidity in one of the cell tissues. many times plants from extreme enviorments will have mitotic or meiotic issues which lead to non disjunction or unreduced 2n gametes. these abnormalities set off a gene dosage chain reaction. cupped cotyledon mutation would be an example. it would also explain why the plant has 5 thc synthases(chem91) it would be interesting to look at chem91s whole genome since it is done but i doubt it is notated

all of these plants are progeny of nevils haze c male and have varying levels of the varigation which depends on how many copies of mutation present in progenitors from 1 in jack herer all the way to 3 in uptown black. ssh si the last pic and has 2 copies
View attachment 18728834 View attachment 18728836 View attachment 18728837
Chems are S1 bag seed, 50% of the S1 generation is totally homozygous; overly homozygous plants cant adapt to environments they weren't acclimated to threw selection. It was pretty much for sure bred in hydro, there fore it likes force feeding of chemical nutrients, and lacks a genetic contingency for alternative absorption and or metabolism of some nutrients. Its too homozygous, and lacks genetic contingency for absorbing some nutrients threw regular organic symbiotic relationships and cant re-helix to exspress a recessive genetic contingency in order to solve the problom (genomorphologically speaking).

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
not sure whats been happening in the conversation from page 1 onwards but...that below is a mosaic virus not variegation.. cell virus so can come from touching an infected plant or tool or hand..As far as I know the TMV in weed is an urban legend, its more hemp and hops and cucumber and other mosaic and streak virii..The dudding from the HLV and others, most likely when a clone been handed around for years it has picked up a combination of STD's LOL...as far as I know tissue culture cannot clean up all virii and not do it reliably or where it keeps the plant as it used to be in terms of vigor or or..not any first hand experience with the TC cleanups so cant tell you..Like other virii when you let a plant get big in the sun and UV with all the food it needs and a big root system with all the helpful microbes and all that, the tips can race away from the virii and you can take clean clones, or cleaner clones to remom, thats the way sams told us to do it and RCC and them used to do it early 80's when they first started encountering all this. The virii also transmit through seed to a certain small percent of seeds, this was proven in weed a few weeks back..

If you want the chem stank, skunkva's chem91 outcrosses are good, lots of halitosis in those lines LOL..also unicorn poop and its lines, as well I have found stellar chem rankness in my bro on iCmag, getmo's GMO x gg4, gg4 from bx7 line from breeder. Some truly rank plants were found in there..I think the rankest dankest stickiest plant I found in that line, after growing out many chem based lines now. The unicorn poop lines though also some real dogshit armpit sticky fat things were found..Skunkva's lines also that fat dense grenade form of the chem91 shines through no matter the cross, id go for crosses with frosty lines as the chem as rank as she is, is not as frosty as id like, cross it with something that is frostier and those that carry the chem terps genes can end up with louder volume that the ancestor line..anyway chem ramble..that rank shit is timeless..great stuff..decendants of those fly pollinated fat desert afghan plants..rotting meat and excrement terps.! Best thing I think with the mosaics is to breed with the plants and find a better child out the symptomless ones, if the cut is irreplaceable. It is what RCC and them recommend, and or summer sunshine and vigorous growth trying to race away from the virii though im not sure on the cell virii like mosaics, with phloem virii it is not hard to do...

Phinest cannabis tissue culture Chem D

picture.php

Piff_cat

lol making a leaf variegated shouldnt have a direct effect on the budding sites, and nutrient stress will slow metabolic process lowering resin production. It was not bred in an organic grow room and is probably to homozygous to adapt well to environments (including nutrient absorption) that it wasnt selected for as its pretty much for sure an s1 bag seed. It probably only likes force feeding in DWC style situations. If you grow the plants in the environment they were selected in they should more closely resemble the phenotype your looking for. Also chem is pretty fast flowering to be progeny of nevils have, but both chem and nevils haze for sure have northern lights in them.
im not saying chem is nevils haze progeny. just that their varigation is caused by the same or similar phenomenon. theres zero chance its due to malnutrition alone. makes no sense its too specific of an area
nldclade.jpg
. i dont know whats in chem, but according to phylogenic studies, they are closely related.

ICGA

im not saying chem is nevils haze progeny. just that their varigation is caused by the same or similar phenomenon. theres zero chance its due to malnutrition alone. makes no sense its too specific of an area View attachment 18729206 . i dont know whats in chem, but according to phylogenic studies, they are closely related.
Nevil's haze is 25% nl5, chem is an s1 of a plant thats probably 50% nl5 but there are all the differant phenos they found. so each one could lean a different way. Totally homozygous plants are supper finicky tho, sorta like have you ever seen those inbred people and there sorta out of proportion and retarded looking? They get all kinds of health problems that wouldn't really effect normal people. If nutes fix the problem then its a genetic problem with absorbing and or metabolizing nutes. In real science you stick to the simplest answer but this one speaks for its self.

Last edited:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
As far as I know chem91 is from skunk lineage...Those terps are afghan skunk through and through..rancid fly pollinated affie with thai, mexican and colombo influence...as far as I know the sour D is from chem, and OG from sourD, not the other ways round..there was no OG or sourD in 1991, they came after. I don't think there is any NL in chem...affie skunk thai mexican and lumbo genes I am sure of..I think mayb the confusion stepping in as NL itself is but a thai affie hybrid and those genes are common in the chem. The NL terps I get off its hybrids and from what I can remember smoking it back in the day, was honey and musk, pink perfume, sweet and bubblegum savory if that makes sense..a completely different spectrum the "I havent brushed my teeth in days" terps of the chem..But all these strains are hybrids so when you breed with them you always get some outliers pop out that in no way resemble the parents but are a throwback to some deep ancestor..I once had this amazing 13 weeker typical panama sativa plant with stupid vigor and yields and resistance, bright pink hairs and tasting floral perfume incense and this complex shit and a very unusual soaring very strong and strongly anti anxiety feel good high, had that pop out of a pack of sensi doublegum LOL, her sisters all different forms of bubble gum with low yields and bad resistance, and then the outlier that was nothing like a bubblegum and nothing like what I was looking for, was the keeper..lord only knows what bubblegum ancestor she popped out from?! Its like that..

But I've grown enough skunks, old 1980's cuts and outcrosses of theirs, and enough chem based lines that I can say without a doubt that the chem is an old skunk, or mainly old skunk genes..Even growing out Sams's old skunk crosses, when crossing with them, the skunk dead meat terps pop out in the f2 generations..some of those old skunks the terps are recessive, others are dominant..the cheese funk in exodus is recessive but the similar funk in the blues/livers is not and comes through well in its children, as well some chem based lines are so rank one does not need the proper cut to really offend peoples noses..see the geneology reports below..yeah GMO and motorbreath and other chem lines come out very closely related, I am pretty sure they are not any less chem than chem, growing out their kids you find many examples that are stomach turning as much as it gets..you can see from lineages that OG and sourD are very closely related ..most likely the stories are true and they are progeny of each other all..

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
One man's Chem-D is another man's D-line is another man's Chocolope. This whole cluster is what happens when people try to claim other people's work as their own. I'm not saying DNA GENETICS stole anything from anyone. I'm merely using this scenario as a reference. NYCD could just as easily be used. How many people have ripped off Soma or DJ and his Blueberry?

Every breeder/pollen chucker/liar !!! Claiming the mythical single seed found in a bag crossed to the only phenotype ever found of secret stash??? It's all bullshit.

People trying to claim their poly hybrid of a poly hybrid is somehow special or rare, no It's not. Stop chasing names, unicorns, so and so's cut that's the real deal,,,,I'm sure it is.

Even if you start with great genetics and it's grown poorly indoors. Nuked and treated with multiple synthetic fertilizers/chemicals so it will get bigger, more terps and finishes faster... the greatest genetics in the world will be garbage within 2 filial generations.

I've spent a small fortune chasing down Road Kill Skunk. If Sam could remake it now he would, it's a million dollar strain.
The gene pool is so polluted we will most likely never see it again. When a hyped breeder has multiple pages on their website of genetics that aren't available anymore? They are a lying, story telling pollen chucker taking your money.

If someone is claiming how much their plants produce but only give you a picture of the best bud against a black background, call bullshit! Whole plant pictures taken at harvest give you more information than a hyped story promising UTOPIA.

In this age of instant information, hold people accountable. Does the name make the weed good to you?

Can you actually tell what is good weed? A great deal on bad weed is still bad weed. I'm done with my rant, peace
farmerlion

Last edited:

Piff_cat

Me personally thinks the chem line could be ubc chemo x some sort of skunk/super skunk. Chem lines have several anomalies
5 thc synthase
Varigation on the d bronzing on the 91
Wide spread of phenos doesn't fit the 80/10/10 spread of a real f1
Ohvious xtreme potency/terps including several rare ones like phellandrene camphene etc these are found mostly in se asia/Nigeria
Closely related to 69 haze in phylogenetic data but not direct
pointing to a recent shared progenitor in back of both lines
Hermit tendencies

Ubc vhemo is true tetraploid created by Dr Suzuki Vancouver early 80s. Lowland Thai x afghan. Chromosome doubling thru colochine application to create 4 sets of chromosomes instead of 2
leading to thicker dark green foliage and branches
larger stomata but less quantity.
Larger pollen grains.

Crossing a tetraploid to a normal diploid would create a swarm of mixoploid due to imperfect meiosis .leaving unreduced gametes spread would include diploid/triploid/trisomic aneuploids(3rd copy of individual chromosomes)

This type of dosage imbalance results in extreme phenotype range in genes with the extra copies . Known as dosage sensitive quantitative traits.

This mixoploid progeny created by (thai afghan Polyploid) x (skunk diploid)would line up and explain all of the irregular morphology/phenotype present in the original seeds. Also the cbg content coming from thai side along with the bananas from thai too even if this is wrong about Chem the same progrM could be used intentionally in breeding improved targeted varietes

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
With so many renamed cuts how can any know if it's real or fake?. The Chem D I grew a decade ago was so badly veriegated it looked awful. Since then lots of similar cuts got renamed. If it's severely variegated it's prob real. That's prob the best any could give at this point.

Piff_cat

As far as I know chem91 is from skunk lineage...Those terps are afghan skunk through and through..rancid fly pollinated affie with thai, mexican and colombo influence...as far as I know the sour D is from chem, and OG from sourD, not the other ways round..there was no OG or sourD in 1991, they came after. I don't think there is any NL in chem...affie skunk thai mexican and lumbo genes I am sure of..I think mayb the confusion stepping in as NL itself is but a thai affie hybrid and those genes are common in the chem. The NL terps I get off its hybrids and from what I can remember smoking it back in the day, was honey and musk, pink perfume, sweet and bubblegum savory if that makes sense..a completely different spectrum the "I havent brushed my teeth in days" terps of the chem..But all these strains are hybrids so when you breed with them you always get some outliers pop out that in no way resemble the parents but are a throwback to some deep ancestor..I once had this amazing 13 weeker typical panama sativa plant with stupid vigor and yields and resistance, bright pink hairs and tasting floral perfume incense and this complex shit and a very unusual soaring very strong and strongly anti anxiety feel good high, had that pop out of a pack of sensi doublegum LOL, her sisters all different forms of bubble gum with low yields and bad resistance, and then the outlier that was nothing like a bubblegum and nothing like what I was looking for, was the keeper..lord only knows what bubblegum ancestor she popped out from?! Its like that..

But I've grown enough skunks, old 1980's cuts and outcrosses of theirs, and enough chem based lines that I can say without a doubt that the chem is an old skunk, or mainly old skunk genes..Even growing out Sams's old skunk crosses, when crossing with them, the skunk dead meat terps pop out in the f2 generations..some of those old skunks the terps are recessive, others are dominant..the cheese funk in exodus is recessive but the similar funk in the blues/livers is not and comes through well in its children, as well some chem based lines are so rank one does not need the proper cut to really offend peoples noses..see the geneology reports below..yeah GMO and motorbreath and other chem lines come out very closely related, I am pretty sure they are not any less chem than chem, growing out their kids you find many examples that are stomach turning as much as it gets..you can see from lineages that OG and sourD are very closely related ..most likely the stories are true and they are progeny of each other all..

have you oever check out any middle eastern dessert type landraces like sinai or east iran basically west of afghanistan? i think skunks afghan type ancestors may be hiding out over there. those real offensive nose curling terps come from the sulfur compounds or even amines like peperdine in some cases. aldehydes that are volital and rapidly oxidize. there is a real good paper about new sulfur compounds in cannabis gelato 33 had highest of what they tested anyway. those xinijiang/northern afghan, tajikistan all used to be turkmenistan is the nld hashplant basically native to this area. oldest psycoactive cannabis found in a shrine had cbn abd no cbd detected. they have these 2 terpenes guiaol and eudsmol very volatile found almost exclusively in afghan/xinijian landraces. anyway putting something like that to a chem or skunk could open up a whole lotta good stuff. offensive smells usely serve to attract carrion beatles who are pollinators in desert. beyond protection there using these long distance odors to cast a wide net.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Me personally thinks the chem line could be ubc chemo x some sort of skunk/super skunk. Chem lines have several anomalies
5 thc synthase
Varigation on the d bronzing on the 91
Wide spread of phenos doesn't fit the 80/10/10 spread of a real f1
Ohvious xtreme potency/terps including several rare ones like phellandrene camphene etc these are found mostly in se asia/Nigeria
Closely related to 69 haze in phylogenetic data but not direct
pointing to a recent shared progenitor in back of both lines
Hermit tendencies

Ubc vhemo is true tetraploid created by Dr Suzuki Vancouver early 80s. Lowland Thai x afghan. Chromosome doubling thru colochine application to create 4 sets of chromosomes instead of 2
Larger pollen grains.

Crossing a tetraploid to a normal diploid would create a swarm of mixoploid due to imperfect meiosis .leaving unreduced gametes spread would include diploid/triploid/trisomic aneuploids(3rd copy of individual chromosomes)

This type of dosage imbalance results in extreme phenotype range in genes with the extra copies . Known as dosage sensitive quantitative traits.

This mixoploid progeny created by (thai afghan Polyploid) x (skunk diploid)would line up and explain all of the irregular morphology/phenotype present in the original seeds. Also the cbg content coming from thai side along with the bananas from thai too even if this is wrong about Chem the same progrM could be used intentionally in breeding improved targeted varietes
Colochine, is nothing more than poison that some people experimented with and noted the deformities it caused. Stoner science ignorance has made it out to be some secret elixir, it's not. Yet another article gets plagiarized as if you're sharing new data from your own research?

@hammyou are spot on with your insight and opinion.

@Desert Dan stay on topic? Chem-D's existence is a consequence of industry greed and lack of growing expertise and integrity. It's not alone pick any strain in a dispensary or that's been on the cover of any cannabis magazine. You'll find at least 5 breeders selling their knock off/ hacked version of it. GSC, Blue Dream, a multitude of Cakes, Pies and Ice Creams.

The quality of dispensary versions and seed versions is in the toilet. Staying on point is not buying into the hype of Instagram! Buying some poorly grown cannabis rushed to market before the name loses it's luster to the public.
Desert Dan this is the whole point, and what a shame unfortunately this point is.

Grow your own. Find a landrace strain you enjoy, preserve it. Preservation of our great strains is crucial. This is why Ace Seeds is and has been the standard of breeding for well over a decade. Quality first brother.
Peace farmerlion

mazar_man

Larger pollen grains.
David Suzuki has stated that he had nothing to do with UBC Chemo or any other cultivar, you can prob even find the letter still, it used to be posted on mr nice, guy named Chana-masala asked him about it and posted the signed letter headed response. UBC Chemo was just something developed by people going to ubc, there was no university breeding program colchicine or otherwise and chemo has never been substantiated as a tetraploid. It is just regular old hash plant that was novel for it’s time

Last edited:

Gerardbutler79

Veteran

I don't think any of this is accurate based off my experience with the bud itself. Original sour diesel, chems, OG's. Perhaps phylos just didn't have enough samples to make proper testing?

Piff_cat

Colochine, is nothing more than poison that some people experimented with and noted the deformities it caused. Stoner science ignorance has made it out to be some secret elixir, it's not. Yet another article gets plagiarized as if you're sharing new data from your own research?

@hammyou are spot on with your insight and opinion.

@Desert Dan stay on topic? Chem-D's existence is a consequence of industry greed and lack of growing expertise and integrity. It's not alone pick any strain in a dispensary or that's been on the cover of any cannabis magazine. You'll find at least 5 breeders selling their knock off/ hacked version of it. GSC, Blue Dream, a multitude of Cakes, Pies and Ice Creams.

The quality of dispensary versions and seed versions is in the toilet. Staying on point is not buying into the hype of Instagram! Buying some poorly grown cannabis rushed to market before the name loses it's luster to the public.
Desert Dan this is the whole point, and what a shame unfortunately this point is.

Grow your own. Find a landrace strain you enjoy, preserve it. Preservation of our great strains is crucial. This is why Ace Seeds is and has been the standard of breeding for well over a decade. Quality first brother.
Peace farmerlion
Uhh colchicine is a miotic spindle strengthened. Which causes chromosome doubling during cell replication by stopping migration to the poles. Polyploids are used in nearly ever single agricultural breeding program. You have 0 idea what your talking about.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Uhh colchicine is a miotic spindle strengthened. Which causes chromosome doubling during cell replication by stopping migration to the poles. Polyploids are used in nearly ever single agricultural breeding program. You have 0 idea what your talking about.
It is not a breeding tool, it causes genetics abnormalities that aren't consistent. NOBODY in the entire cannabis industry is using COLCHICINE to improve parental donors......please show me the years of studies you have done to prove otherwise. I'LL HOLD MY BREATH WHILE YOU MAKE SH** UP
farmerlion

Latest posts

Latest posts