What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cheap Nutrient Line for Commercial and Home Grows?

Old Uncle Ben

Cheap Nutrient line for commercial and home grows

Jack's have been going for 75 years. Nothing is cheaper, and many say nothing is better. Because if you know what you want, you can have it.

Used it for decades. In fact, I used to chat with Jack on a frequent basis. Nothing new here except to those getting their feet wet, and that's OK. You have to experiment, learn what's best for you.

I have 3 leftover 25# bags of Peters sitting in my wine cellar, stored cool. I use them for specific purposes based on their design. For instance, if I want more green in my leaves then I'll pull either the 25-5-15 or the Petunia FeED 20-6-22 and get after it.

This "high performance" food goes a lonnnnng way. Quite complete too. Not up to the 16 elements of Foliage Pro but in a decent peat or pine bark soil or coir, your faves will perform well. I bought a bag for about $50 USD 6 years ago.

1689083156056.png

Now, there will be the usual newbie mantra "but that's too much nitrogen!"

Fine :biggrin:

Petunia food will cut down on your stretch, all else considered. Is also high in chelated iron if your plants go chlorosis due to a high iron deficiency, often induced because of high P bloom foods and/or hard water.

Uncle Ben

Last edited:
Used it for decades. In fact, I used to chat with Jack on a frequent basis. Nothing new here except to those getting their feet wet, and that's OK. You have to experiment, learn what's best for you.

I have 3 leftover 25# bags of Peters sitting in my wine cellar, stored cool. I use them for specific purposes based on their design. For instance, if I want more green in my leaves then I'll pull either the 25-5-15 or the Petunia FeED 20-6-22 and get after it.

This "high performance" food goes a lonnnnng way. Quite complete too. Not up to the 16 elements of Foliage Pro but in a good soil, your faves will perform well. I bought a bag for about $50 USD 6 years ago.

View attachment 18864106

Now, there will be the usual newbie mantra "but that's too much nitrogen!"

Fine :biggrin:

Petunia food will cut down on your stretch, all else considered. Is also high in chelated iron if your plants go chlorosis due to a high iron deficiency, often induced because of high P bloom foods.

Uncle Ben

Do you also use this as a 1 part feed?
Let's say I used masterblend tomato formula that I have right now with 2-2-1, how different would the results be had I used osmocote instead?

Old Uncle Ben

Do you also use this as a 1 part feed?
Let's say I used masterblend tomato formula that I have right now with 2-2-1, how different would the results be had I used osmocote instead?
You could, then switch over to a more balanced NPK like your 2-2-1.

No guessing with Osmocote. Apply once and forget it until harvest.

Easy peasy......

UB

Last edited:

GenghisKush

What other nutrients are as cheap as Masterblend kit? Off Amazon it's $2.60 a lb for all 3 parts, 25lbs total.
I buy peters professional hydroponic special from amleonard when it goes on sale, last time it was $56 for 25lbs and free shipping. This is (i think) about equiv. to part A 5-12-26, of Jack's 321. Right now you can buy it at 1 lb for $12 at customhydronutrients, which is (i think) cheaper than from amazon, modulo shipping.

Old Uncle Ben

I buy peters professional hydroponic special from amleonard when it goes on sale, last time it was $56 for 25lbs and free shipping. This is (i think) about equiv. to part A 5-12-26, of Jack's 321. Right now you can buy it at 1 lb for $12 at customhydronutrients, which is (i think) cheaper than from amazon, modulo shipping.

I've bought a lot of heavy items like 50# of Osmocote, etc., soil, vermiculite etc. from A.M. Leonard when they run their free shipping promo, but, those folks went nuts back in the winter and about tripled all their prices. This excellent blend was around $28 back then.
PottingSoil.jpg

Terppalooza

Yara brown and calcinit. For example would be cheeper. That's 2 x 25kg. 36 bucks for the calcinit. 80 for the brown. 110 euro for. 50kg ~ 100pounds. That's about 1.1dollars a pound. 👊

mexweed

Veteran
Have you tried masterblend? I have the tomato formula and thinking about doing 2-2-1 for my first run. What are your suggestions?

would recommend; follow the OP, 221 masterblend/calnit/epsom, with fulvic, silica, mkp, sop

would not recommend; following posts that deviate from OP with an opinion or personal growing preference

Ca++

The EU won't allow a product to be sold, that has already been sold outside of the block.
Some in the UK are saying we can get rid of this now. If so, it will be possible to bring in Jacks and resell it to those willing to pay the premium over Masterblend. Who I presume make an EU specific product, which is likely just different packaging.

At least having it boated into the UK, will get it near enough to the EU to make it viable.
It would be nice to get the US version, to make copying known recipes possible. I would pause to check the packaging of masterblend before presuming the EU one is the US one. If it's blended from different mining sources, you can expect subtle differences. Though it might just be boated over for the EU specifically, and thus the increased pricing that Jacks will also likely see.

There are other choices in Europe. Yara are Norwegian, who are part of the economic region. Epsom salt comes out the ground in Epsom, England, but everywhere fakes it. We are not without sources.

Ca++

jacks.jpg

That's from source.
Notably, they only stray from the grow formula, for the first week of transition. Then about double P&K for 1 week before flush, while dropping N right down.

They do cannabis specific nutrients these days, which follow a similar route.

Piecho

If you have any recommendations related to Spanish/European market on budget, let me know. As I see most of the recent posts are related to US/Canada.

Piecho

When I use all the freebies from a Spannabis, I will take a look, thanks!
I see that epsom salts costs 4e for a kilo. I was wondering how I may lower the more expensive calmag usage and use epsom salts to the mix in coco? Not sure about the proportions here, just saw recommended 5g/1l of feeding, but just for epsom salts.

From Lucas Formula. So may I use just epsom salts instead?
If you're growing in coco, you may need to adjust the Lucas formula slightly to compensate for a property of coco which may result in a calcium or magnesium deficiency. How? You may be able to get by simply by adding 1-2ml of calmag (or MagiCal+), or 1 gram of Epsom salt (any pharmacy carries this), per gallon of water, before feeding the plants.

There is a modified formula specifically for Coco that consists of using a different ratio: 6ml of Flora Micro, and 9ml of Flora Bloom, per gallon of water, along with 1 gram of Epsom salt per water.