What's new

Cheap easy/Passive recovery/closed loop/lil terp/open blasting

knoman

...getting there...

...getting there...

My column is on back-order...

My hardware from paramount is on the way...

...still shopping hose & scale...

...still thinking 30# Recovery Tank...but havent ordered yet...

picture.php

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
My column is on back-order...

My hardware from paramount is on the way...

...still shopping hose & scale...

...still thinking 30# Recovery Tank...but havent ordered yet...

View Image

You need to get 50 posts to get and send e-mail. Go to chat forums, or "what are you watching right now". Would be glad to help, and see you do it safe, and right!!

Best source of info is skunkpharm!!!

Read some of this, to get respect for Butane, although I am relatively sure there were no closed loop disasters, but can confirm.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=266761

BrainChild

Hey everyone,

I'm getting parts together for a system like this. Already have a lot of them, my question is about getting a lid with several ports in it so I put a gauge, and possibly put in a sight glass like pictured here on one of the best value vacs systems: http://instagram.com/p/xk5XrDgp4f/?modal=true

Can a lid like that be purchased through glacier (couldn't find it if so) or is this something I'd need to do myself?

Pangea

Veteran
Look at glacier again, under the special lids and spool section, half way down the first product menu. BVV looks like a 6" lid, glacier has a 6" welded lid, but not with sight glass ports.

Pangea

Veteran
no problem, one thing to note with their 12" welded lid, it has a center dump connection of 2" TC with down stem, glacier does not have a welded 2" injection T spool, they only have 1.5" welded TC spools, which is odd and sucks.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I think this thread should be stickied. Especially for the parts list on the first page. Plus all the info in the rest of the thread is very helpful. A closed loop system is in my near future and the time op spent putting together that list, and then putting it up for discussion to follow....deserves permanent respect!!

knoman

You need to get 50 posts to get and send e-mail. Go to chat forums, or "what are you watching right now". Would be glad to help, and see you do it safe, and right!!
I hear ya...I need more posts...
In the meantime, I hope we can continue the conversation here. :tiphat:

Best source of info is skunkpharm!!!

Yeah, I've been there a min...always finding something new...:yes:
I've got some questions about some things I'm still unclear about from over there...more on that later...

Read some of this, to get respect for Butane, although I am relatively sure there were no closed loop disasters, but can confirm.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=266761

:peek::hide:

ugly shit.

Until I get my lil' unit running, my tubes will have to suffice...

=======================================
Hey everyone,

I'm getting parts together for a system like this. Already have a lot of them, my question is about getting a lid with several ports in it so I put a gauge, and possibly put in a sight glass like pictured here on one of the best value vacs systems: http://instagram.com/p/xk5XrDgp4f/?modal=true

Can a lid like that be purchased through glacier (couldn't find it if so) or is this something I'd need to do myself?

Hey BrainChild
You can buy the lids from BVV about their pre-fabbed lids...but they're not cheap...
I forget exactly what I was quoted...(defense mechanism...)

knoman

Almost there...

Almost there...

picture.php

Pressure Test & Vac Test coming up....soon...

Then a couple of shakedowns...

btw, fwiw, glaciertanks is awesome!

Thanks peeps! :respect:

knoman

How do I pressurize my Lil Terp?

I’m hoping someone can tell me what fitting, or adapter, do I need
to be able use a typical “tire inflator” style air-compressor
on this access valve.

-------------------
From The Generic Terpinator Owners Manual:

6.0 Pressure test the Terpenator assembly at 100 psi, by installing a 1/2" male NPT pipe plug in the Pressure relief valve discharge port and closing all the valves except the dump valve at the bottom of the column.

Install an airline adaptor to the system. We do so by installing a 3/8" 1/4" NPT bushing in the butane injection port, and inserting a 1/4" MNPT X airline quick disconnect.

Bring system up to 100 psi test pressure, by opening the butane injection valve until the compound pressure gauge reads 100.

Close valve and watch to see if gauge is stable or if it registered an ongoing pressure drop.

=================
Am I looking at the right parts?

This is what grainger has for 3/8” ¼” NPT bushing
http://www.grainger.com/product/Bushing-1MNJ5

This is what ebay.com has for 1/4" MNPT X airline quick disconnect
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swagelok-QF...674?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae38046d2

==============
I've been everywhere locally...
Hardware stores
Auto parts stores
A/C supply houses
Big Box stores ...

Even my Grainger store, where I got my access valves...

Funny looks...
Awkward questions...
No real help...

:dunno:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
To pressure test, inject a can of butane into the top of of your system there. You have ball valves so no problem shooting the tane all way to the bottom.

Close top ball valve, attach pressure gauge to top ball valve, open top ball vale so you can read the increasing pressure...

watch pressure gauge, until pressure maximizes.... The system should pressurize and hold the correct pressure for the temp....

No need to buy anything, no funny looks here....

:joint:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How do I pressurize my Lil Terp?

I’m hoping someone can tell me what fitting, or adapter, do I need
to be able use a typical “tire inflator” style air-compressor
on this access valve.

-------------------
From The Generic Terpinator Owners Manual:

6.0 Pressure test the Terpenator assembly at 100 psi, by installing a 1/2" male NPT pipe plug in the Pressure relief valve discharge port and closing all the valves except the dump valve at the bottom of the column.

Install an airline adaptor to the system. We do so by installing a 3/8" 1/4" NPT bushing in the butane injection port, and inserting a 1/4" MNPT X airline quick disconnect.

Bring system up to 100 psi test pressure, by opening the butane injection valve until the compound pressure gauge reads 100.

Close valve and watch to see if gauge is stable or if it registered an ongoing pressure drop.

=================
Am I looking at the right parts?

This is what grainger has for 3/8” ¼” NPT bushing
http://www.grainger.com/product/Bushing-1MNJ5

This is what ebay.com has for 1/4" MNPT X airline quick disconnect
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swagelok-QF...674?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae38046d2

==============
I've been everywhere locally...
Hardware stores
Auto parts stores
A/C supply houses
Big Box stores ...

Even my Grainger store, where I got my access valves...

Funny looks...
Awkward questions...
No real help...

:dunno:

We made an adapter for testing, by using this fitting and attaching it to a Female NPT X 1/4" male flare. That allow us to use a refrigeration hose to connect them to the male flare on the Lil Terp.

knoman

To pressure test, inject a can of butane into the top of of your system there. You have ball valves so no problem shooting the tane all way to the bottom.

Close top ball valve, attach pressure gauge to top ball valve, open top ball vale so you can read the increasing pressure...

watch pressure gauge, until pressure maximizes.... The system should pressurize and hold the correct pressure for the temp....

No need to buy anything, no funny looks here....

Thanks Hydrosun.
At first, I was like… :crazy:
But now I’m like...:chin:

I know where to find GW’s “Temp/Pressure Chart”
Am I right, that’s what you are talking about?

I just started shopping for a gauge…
(Thought I might not need one)
Any tips on what to look for?

--------------------

We made an adapter for testing, by using this fitting and attaching it to a Female NPT X 1/4" male flare. That allow us to use a refrigeration hose to connect them to the male flare on the Lil Terp.

Thanks for taking the time Gray Wolf :respect:

This is the what I am trying to do.
(But I'm feeling bogged down & Hydrosun is tempting me w/ a new idea...)

The Quick Connect w/ ¼” male thread is a relatively easy find.

It’s the other part that Im having trouble finding.

I can find something that looks close.
But it doesn’t fit the flare…

What size is the flare?
I know / used to know that the flare fitting itself is ¼”
But the flare is a little smaller…

The refrigeration hose fits, of course...but I havent found anything else to fit yet...

Am I looking at this right?

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I picked up a liquid filled compound gauge from RSD just the other day. I like the 3.25" dial, but 2.5" works as well.

The pressure and temp chart is just an appx, because the can of tane will come with an accelorant to get it out of the can.... SO the pressure should be higher at any given temp.

What we are really looking for is the system reaches Max pressure, and then holds steady. If the pressure drops then we have a leak...

You are starring at 1/4" compression thread fittings which fit easily with JIC threading (at the 1/4 size), however the compression males are a little shorter than the JIC females and a solid connection is RARELY made.

stainlesssteelfittings.com for the correct parts.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Awesome! Thanks Hydrosun!

What are we calling "Max pressure"?

Whatever the gauge stops increasing to. Since we have no idea what the TRUE gas is we can't know its true max pressure, until we observe it in a closed system.

Lets say the mix raises to 120PSI at ambient temp, it should stay at 120PSI forever so long as the temp stays the same. If the gauge drops slowly back down then we have a leak.

Planning on putting together a Lil Terp myself soon. It'll be passive until I upgrade it to essentially a MKIII. I was curious, can I assemble a passive system through glacier tanks or can I run the DIY MKIII out of the box like that?

knoman

Ok
Got her pressurized...

===========================

After a little tightening... No leaks...(~100 psi for ~1hr)

============================

how I vacc'd her...

(I had to re-read the part about "2 hoses" > 2x...)

No leaks... (~ -28.5 Hg)