What's new

Cheap easy/Passive recovery/closed loop/lil terp/open blasting

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are the ptfe gaskets for sealing triclamps? Would you need them at every triclamp spot?

The working temperature range for Viton is considered to be about -15C/400C.

You need them at any spots that will fall below -29C/-15F.

Chonkski

Why do you use the 10 mesh screen as opposed to the 20 mesh that graywolf did in the original?

Only because it was the cheapest. Besides, you really only need something holding the coffee filters in, which will do all the work. You can even use a qualitative lab filter after the coffee filters

flatslabs

I wasn't trying to put my system together on the cheap like the thread you linked, its basically a MKIII with out the custom lid and using a different bottle for recovery, we just wanted something that didn't require welding is all.

For the cost of a new lid, some valves, and a pump it could be converted into a fully active mkiii. I will try to get some pics of the passive system if you guys really want though.

Pangea

Veteran
Im interested in seeing both, are you already running it active with the concentric reducer?

dopecook

lol at that system. I made a new one that actually worked pretty well. My buddy who wanted to do this project with me lost his passion, so I put it on the back burner to make room for our 1 LB system (which is absolutely killer).

I went with a 4x6 bottom spool. Welded in 1.5" downstem. Put one vacuum port on the lid. Used viton seals (don't know why I liked buna). It actually worked super well and cost about $250 to make. I should really get back on this project.

Scalawag

Recovery/storage tank for passive Lil Terp? 6" Spool Still Ok?

Recovery/storage tank for passive Lil Terp? 6" Spool Still Ok?

Hey everyone,

Been lurking awhile now and am trying to keep my dumbass questions to a minimum. Hopefully this isn't one of them:

In GrayWolf's initial Lil Terp designs, he parts out a spool-based storage/recovery tank. The only custom work is a drilled out spot for a coupling weld. (Not a problem for me.)

My question is, is this still considered safe?

I really like the convenience of using a smaller, handy, stainless butane storage unit, and I really like the idea that I could build it from a spool, two end caps, and 2 high-pressure clamps...

Essentially, I love Tamisiums recovery tank, but it's $600. I also think it's silly to have to deal with inverting a 30# tank... right? I mean is that technique just for people who have no other vessel for their butane other than what they filled through AirGas or something?

Just about to order some stuff from Glacier and don't know if it's worth looking into a different plan for the recovery tank or not. It's worth noting, that a) I'm doing this passively, as mentioned. b) Would like to chill the butane and column as much as possible before doing the extract.

Just want to ensure there's no obvious issues I'm missing.

Scalawag

Hey everyone,

Been lurking awhile now and am trying to keep my dumbass questions to a minimum. Hopefully this isn't one of them:

In GrayWolf's initial Lil Terp designs, he parts out a spool-based storage/recovery tank. The only custom work is a drilled out spot for a coupling weld. (Not a problem for me.)

My question is, is this still considered safe?

I really like the convenience of using a smaller, handy, stainless butane storage unit, and I really like the idea that I could build it from a spool, two end caps, and 2 high-pressure clamps...

Essentially, I love Tamisiums recovery tank, but it's $600. I also think it's silly to have to deal with inverting a 30# tank... right? I mean is that technique just for people who have no other vessel for their butane other than what they filled through AirGas or something?

Just about to order some stuff from Glacier and don't know if it's worth looking into a different plan for the recovery tank or not. It's worth noting, that a) I'm doing this passively, as mentioned. b) Would like to chill the butane and column as much as possible before doing the extract.

Just want to ensure there's no obvious issues I'm missing.

UGH. SORRY EVERYONE. Maybe not a dumb question, but I obviously forgot how to use the internet. Please delete these two posts if possible.

knoman

I wasn't trying to put my system together on the cheap like the thread you linked, its basically a MKIII with out the custom lid and using a different bottle for recovery, we just wanted something that didn't require welding is all.

For the cost of a new lid, some valves, and a pump it could be converted into a fully active mkiii. I will try to get some pics of the passive system if you guys really want though.

I'd love to see a pic!

This might be a good fit for me.
I can't fab a regular lil terp lid
And I can't find one online...

:lurk:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I'd love to see a pic!

This might be a good fit for me.
I can't fab a regular lil terp lid
And I can't find one online...

:lurk:

Glacier has a no weld MKIII lid now.

Part number B3155MP-G600-150-025-0375

BrainChild

I guess that's true if you're using a hot/cold differential to flood gas into the column. If you want to use a cold/colder differential to flood with sludgy butane, gravity isn't all that fast with that size hose.

edit: or am I missing something?

I was wondering about this too. Does anybody out there run a Lil terp style passive system w sub zero butane? Any complications?

knoman

You want:
B3155MP-G600-150
End Cap Reducer 6" TC x 1.5" TC Reducer SS304

Thanks flatslabs

Is your buddy enjoying this unit?

I think I've got this unit figured out
Using the concentric reducer w/ nipple...from the 6" tank...
To the reg concentric reducer...

To the 1 1/2 column...
I'm looking at a 6" and a 24" maybe...

I've got a full cart @glacier tanks...
Got to wait til the bank opens on Monday tho...

knoman

Essentially, I love Tamisiums recovery tank, but it's $600. I also think it's silly to have to deal with inverting a 30# tank... right? I mean is that technique just for people who have no other vessel for their butane other than what they filled through AirGas or something? .

Yeah I'm looking at getting a new 30# tank
It's a little cheaper fwiw
& I thought the extra surface space was good for butane condensation...:dunno:
& maybe faster recovery?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
For the lil terp, in addition to that lid, i use a concentric reducer, part number -

B3114MP-G150-100-NPT