What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
X! Hey Brother! Welcome! Sorry to not make that clear from the get go. Daimoku is Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

daimoku of the essential teaching
[本門の題目] ( Jpn hommon-no-daimoku )

The invocation of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo; more precisely, the practice of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with belief in the object of devotion of the essential teaching. Here, "essential teaching" refers to the teaching of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, not to the essential teaching defined as the latter half of the Lotus Sutra. The Daimoku of the essential teaching is one of the Three Great Secret Laws set forth by Nichiren (1222-1282). There are two aspects of daimoku: the daimoku of faith and the daimoku of practice. In his Letter to Horen, Nichiren writes, "If you try to practice the teachings of the [Lotus] sutra without faith, it would be like trying to enter a jeweled mountain without hands [to pick up its treasures]" (WND pg. 511). Thus the daimoku of the essential teaching requires both faith and practice. See also Three Great Secret Laws.

Three Great Secret Laws
[三大秘法] (Jpn sandai-hiho )

The core principles of Nichiren's teaching. They are the object of devotion of the essential teaching, the daimoku of the essential teaching, and the sanctuary of the essential teaching. Here, "essential teaching" refers to the teaching of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and not to the essential teaching, or the latter fourteen chapters, of the Lotus Sutra. Nichiren (1222-1282) established these three essential principles to enable people in the Latter Day of the Law to attain Buddhahood. They are called secret because they are implicit in the text of the "Life Span" (sixteenth) chapter of the Lotus Sutra and remained hidden or unknown until Nichiren revealed them. Nichiren regarded them as the vital teaching that Shakyamuni Buddha transferred to Bodhisattva Superior Practices in the "Supernatural Powers" (twenty-first) chapter of the sutra. He regarded his mission as one with that of Bodhisattva Superior Practices. The Three Great Secret Laws represent Nichiren's embodiment of the Mystic Law, to which he was enlightened, in a form that all people can practice and thereby gain access to that Law within their own lives. He associated the Three Great Secret Laws with the three types of learning set forth in Buddhism—precepts, meditation, and wisdom. Specifically, the object of devotion corresponds to meditation, the sanctuary to precepts, and the daimoku to wisdom. Concerning the three types of learning based on the Lotus Sutra, Dengyo (767-822), in his Questions and Answers on Regulations for Students of the Tendai Lotus School, states, "The spacelike immovable precept, the spacelike immovable meditation, and the spacelike immovable wisdom—these three all together are transmitted under the name 'Wonderful Law.'" The three types of learning based on the Lotus Sutra are called "spacelike" and "immovable" because, like space, which represents the ultimate truth, they are immovable, or imperturbable. Nikko, Nichiren's successor, stated that in Nichiren's teachings the object of devotion corresponds to the spacelike immovable meditation, the sanctuary to the spacelike immovable precept, and the daimoku to the spacelike immovable wisdom. Nichiren mentions the Three Great Secret Laws in several of his writings (all dated after his near execution at Tatsunokuchi and subsequent exile to Sado Island in 1271), and in a work known as On the Three Great Secret Laws, he offers a detailed definition. At the core of the Three Great Secret Laws is the One Great Secret Law. This is the object of devotion of the essential teaching, or Nichiren's embodiment in the form of a mandala of the eternal Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, which he fully realized and manifested in his life. He writes in The Person and the Law, "Deep in this mortal flesh I preserve the ultimate secret Law inherited from Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, at Eagle Peak" (WND pg. 1097). Because embracing this object of devotion called the Gohonzon is the only precept in Nichiren's teaching, the place where it is enshrined corresponds to the place where one vows to observe the Buddhist precepts—the ordination platform, or sanctuary, of the essential teaching. The term precept in Buddhism implies preventing error and putting an end to evil. The daimoku of the essential teaching indicates the invocation or chanting of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with faith in the object of devotion; it includes chanting the daimoku for oneself and teaching it to others. Thus, both the sanctuary and the daimoku derive from the object of devotion. Later Nichikan (1665-1726), the twenty-sixth chief priest of Taiseki-ji temple, classified the Three Great Secret Laws into Six Great Secret Laws. First, the object of devotion is viewed in terms of both Person and Law. The Person indicates Nichiren himself, who achieved the enlightenment and virtues of the eternal Buddha and who established the Buddhism of sowing for all people in the Latter Day of the Law. The object of devotion in terms of the Law is the Gohonzon, which embodies Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Second, the sanctuary also has two aspects, the specified sanctuary and the general sanctuary. The former is the sanctuary to be built at the time of kosen-rufu, or wide propagation, in accordance with Nichiren's instruction. This is the place where the object of devotion Nichiren inscribed for all humanity (commonly known as the Dai-Gohonzon) is to be enshrined when his teaching has been widely spread and established. The general sanctuary is any place where one enshrines the object of devotion and engages in practice. Third, the daimoku of the essential teaching also has two aspects: the daimoku of faith and the daimoku of practice. The former means to believe in the Gohonzon, and the latter means to chant the daimoku and spread it. According to Nichikan's "Interpreting the Text Based upon Its Essential Meaning," the Six Great Secret Laws are considered a crystallization of the Buddha's eighty-four thousand teachings, the Three Great Secret Laws a crystallization of the Six Great Secret Laws, and the One Great Secret Law a crystallization of the Three Great Secret Laws.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey,

What happened to Trichy?!

God Damn it! That makes me really sad! Trichy! Where are you Sister? Be SAFE! Be well. Know you will be missed and Daimoku will be chanted ceaselessly for your return. I know you'll be back! Until then know that you have my deepest respect and sincere appreciation. Always.

(Don't let the Devil of the Sixth Heaven win!)

Much love,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Anyone who seeks to attain Buddhahood in this lifetime and carries out faith aimed at achieving human revolution will be able to establish a firmly grounded self. We can develop a state of life that allows us to actualise happiness for ourselves and others. We can forge ahead undaunted by any adversity and enhance our capacity for creating value out of every situation. Faith in the Daishonin's Buddhism enables us to cultivate an inner state of absolute freedom, undefeated by any karmic challenge. It is the means by which we can polish our lives."

SGI Newsletter No. 7851, LEARNING FROM THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN: THE TEACHINGS FOR VICTORY, [7] "The Supremacy of the Law"--Part 1 [of 3], The Lotus Sutra Is the "Great Ship" for the Enlightenment of All People, from the July 2009 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated Sep. 9th, 2009

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
What an inspiration!!!

What an inspiration!!!

i finally volunteered again yesterday to support my region, I decided not to transfer to the city, as the soka group chief and we had a great Kosen-rufu Sunday! Although I haven't been able to support the movement since June because I moved in July, like the prodigal son I came back and was welcomed with open arms. Setting everything up, taking care of the members during the meeting and putting everything away felt so good to me. After the meeting a WD member in her late 50s asked me to go with her to a supermarket about 15 minutes away to help her shakubuku. I'm fluent in another language and this great lady drove and I followed her to the supermarket where I met a nice guy named Ando. It was a pleasure to meet this kid because he has been to two SGI meetings already so he just needed to connect with someone. It felt great to give him a Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! card with my name, number and email so that I could support him in his practice going forward.

Even though I'm residing in a city, it feels good to keep supporting my home district and continue to support the movement in the suburban and more rural communities because that is where I'm from.

I don't forget the chanting growers and where we came from (I'm proud of you Sceggy!), I always remember where we are going which is EAGLE PEAK (yeah baby!), and how to get there - Keep Chanting everyday, keep protecting the precious members and to keep introducing others to this Buddhism. Men, Women, children and every other group that falls within those three ranks have introduced others to Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! This dynamic practice has been the driving force of my success and will continue to fuel me through these difficult battles I face with school.

I'm working full time and trying to move up in my company. I am busting my ass for a promotion I am sure is within my reach. Working as a compliance officer will take more determination, homework and effort than at any other job I ever worked. I will do this while taking on the hardest workload ever in school so that I could get a Business degree by my target month of 12/10! The Law School and Business in 2011 and the sky is the limit. :1help: :yoinks:

I derive strength in this thread and lately I've needed it! I promise to continue to champion Nichiren Daishonin's influence on my life to spread that goodness wherever and whenever I can!

Whats up Desi and Babba! Whats up Tom and family! Whats up Socal! High Five to you FallenAngel! Peace to Bonzo and my friend Nathan Gauer (our National YMD Leader), hope you both are well!

This is what I'm talking about! Easy, you make my life easier. Most days are sincere challenges, rather than dreaded work......that's what you bring to the table ole dear one...........love ya bro!

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Purity spoken.

Purity spoken.

• The Gohonzon is a manifestation of the supreme life-state of eternity, happiness, true self and purity attained by the Daishonin.
  • Those who establish a sublime inner state through faith in the Gohonzon during this lifetime will be able to keep inactive and dormant the lower life-states steeped in earthly desires, negative karma and suffering.
  • Those who wholeheartedly dedicated themselves to the Law, uphold Buddhism and practice it just as the Buddha instructs are truly admirable.
  • Those who continue to take action for kosen-rufu in the same spirit as the Daishonin can manifest the same lofty life-state he attained. -LB p 68.
I clearly recall how my mentor, Mr. Toda, used to say: "We should be confident that we, the members of the Soka Gakkai, are noble emissaries who have been sent by the Buddha. We mustn't look down on ourselves. We are the emanations of the Daishonin." ... -President Ikeda LB p 69,70.

Nam myoho renge kyo

Hey Babba! This is so deep, so lofty & spiritual........thank you bro!

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
What a comeback!

What a comeback!

Zange Guidance from Vice President Tsuji

Appreciation

For having the Gohonzon.

For being able to change my karma.

For being alive at this time.

For all the people around me.

For everything being a teacher to me.

Self-Realization

Realize that for every EXTERNAL CAUSE (nyo ze en),

There is first an INTERNAL CAUSE (nyo ze in).

Every hurt, anger, frustration, or painful situation that occurs to me is MY
RESPONSIBILITY.

My karma forced it to happen, or forced them to behave that way.

Hendoku Iyaku-I can turn poison into medicine and become aware of my own
"Internal Hooks" that draw such experiences to me.

I ALONE am responsible for my life condition.

Apology

For current slander in thought, word, and action-let me not want to do it
anymore.

Daimoku of altruism-chant for the health and well-being of the person(s)
involved, and that they may deepen their faith. Ask the Gohonzon, "What can I
do to rectify the situation?"

Determination

To work harder for kosen-rufu.

To create value in the area of family relations, school, job, and activities.

ONLY AFTER CHANTING FOR ALL THE ABOVE, CHANT FOR WHAT YOU DESIRE OR WANT TO
CHANGE OR ACHIEVE IN YOUR LIFE.

SoCal, you're stronger with every comeback you make! What life value you share with all of us! Thank you.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Desi, thank you brother!

Desi, thank you brother!

I must say a very heartfelt thank you and all others here making this the most 'Myoho' thread on the internet.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Because this mountain is where this wondrous votary of the Lotus Sutra dwells,
how can it be any less sacred than the pure land of Eagle Peak? This is what
[The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra means when] it says, "Since the Law is
wonderful, the person is worthy of respect; since the person is worthy of
respect, the land is sacred."

(WND, 1097)
The Person and the Law
Written to Nanjo Tokimitsu on September 11, 1281

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Nothing can match the strength of those whose lives have been shaped and forged
through challenging and overcoming hardships. Such people fear nothing. The
purpose of our Buddhist practice is to develop such strength and fortitude. To
cultivate such an invincible core is in itself a victory. It is also the
greatest benefit. Those who can succeed in this endeavor will savor unsurpassed
happiness; they can manifest the supreme state of Buddhahood.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Just some thoughts laying down in print:

Face it, MOST people think their happiness and suffering lie OUTSIDE of themselves.

That's the world we live in.

If we can break through that illusion in our own lives, we can realize that we are turning around years...lifetimes...of devaluing our life. We must praise it instead!

When we chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo to the Gohonzon, this is exactly what we are doing.

When we change this illusion, which is the fundamental darkness that lies in each of our lives then we can see the tremendous changes in our own environments. Everything! Spriritually, Physically and Materially.

As it says in the Gosho "the wise will rejoice while the foolish will retreat."

It is so astounding to me to be surrounded by such great Buddhas here in the Chanting Growers.

My deepest appreciation and thanks to all!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Happiness
by Daisaku Ikeda

The purpose of life is to attain happiness.
Happiness is something you have to feel inside.
It is something you have to build for yourself.
It is something that lives within you.
That is why the state of your inner realm, your life,
is so crucial to your being happy.
Happiness is not in some far off place.
Happiness exists within your own life.
It is within a single thought in your mind.
You, yourself are the most precious of all.
You have no need to be envious of anyone
or to long for things far away.
Faith and one's single minded desire
to achieve Kosen Rufu (world peace)
are what makes this self of yours shine its brightest
and develop its highest potential;
they are what fill you with good fortune,
satisfaction and eternal joy.
This is the essence of true happiness,
A palace exists within your own life.
When you open that palace
you can be happy wherever you are.

E

EasyMyohoDisco

HELLO HELLO!

I'm taking five courses this time around and working as hard as possible from 7-5 or 6pm Monday through Friday. Although I've been scarcely posting here, rest assure I'm here in spirit.

I just wanted to send some kind consideration to my chanting growers family; a big hug to you and yours!

Let's keep chanting fearlessly and ferociously! Nothing can stop us now!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"A hundred years of practice in the Land of Perfect Bliss cannot compare to the benefit grained from one day's practice in the impure world. Two thousand years of propagating Buddhism during the Former and Middle Days of the Law are inferior to an hour of propagation in the Latter Day of the Law."

(On Repaying Debts of Gratitude - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 736) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, September 12th, 2009

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
This really hits home,....baby!

This really hits home,....baby!

Just some thoughts laying down in print:

Face it, MOST people think their happiness and suffering lie OUTSIDE of themselves.

That's the world we live in.

If we can break through that illusion in our own lives, we can realize that we are turning around years...lifetimes...of devaluing our life. We must praise it instead!

When we chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo to the Gohonzon, this is exactly what we are doing.

When we change this illusion, which is the fundamental darkness that lies in each of our lives then we can see the tremendous changes in our own environments. Everything! Spriritually, Physically and Materially.

As it says in the Gosho "the wise will rejoice while the foolish will retreat."

It is so astounding to me to be surrounded by such great Buddhas here in the Chanting Growers.

My deepest appreciation and thanks to all!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

SoCal, oh this is so true, so present at the moment........this is mine for the day....week....all year long. Thank you bro!.........love, desi!

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Loss of a piece of backbone!

Loss of a piece of backbone!

I'm super bummed about Trichy.

Trichy T, hey babe, I don't know what happened with your dissappearance, but I'm chanting for you. Without you here, there's a blank wall in my heart. I'm wishing you the best!........love, desi!

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
This is One big crystal.........

This is One big crystal.........

Happiness
by Daisaku Ikeda

The purpose of life is to attain happiness.
Happiness is something you have to feel inside.
It is something you have to build for yourself.
It is something that lives within you.
That is why the state of your inner realm, your life,
is so crucial to your being happy.
Happiness is not in some far off place.
Happiness exists within your own life.
It is within a single thought in your mind.
You, yourself are the most precious of all.
You have no need to be envious of anyone
or to long for things far away.
Faith and one's single minded desire
to achieve Kosen Rufu (world peace)
are what makes this self of yours shine its brightest
and develop its highest potential;
they are what fill you with good fortune,
satisfaction and eternal joy.
This is the essence of true happiness,
A palace exists within your own life.
When you open that palace
you can be happy wherever you are.

.........you can hold in your hand.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I sure miss Trichy, and also want to know what happened! Said there was a bad vibe here lately, and wonder what? Hear she also disappeared from another site...sadly.

She was like our little sister spreading joy everywhere.

Meanwhile, chanting continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.