What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Freedom doesn't mean an absence of all restrictions. It means possessing
unshakable conviction in the face of any obstacle. This is true freedom.

Without opposition there is no growth. It is hard to argue with that logic. A
state in which we are free from problems or constraints is not happiness.
Happiness is transcending all opposition and obstacles and continuing to grow.

Quotes - Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Priests possessed by the heavenly devil, such as Ryokan and the others, deceived
your father, Saemon no Tayu, and tried to destroy you and your brother, but you,
having a wise heart, heeded Nichiren's admonitions. Therefore, just as two
wheels support a cart, or two legs carry a person, just as two wings enable a
bird to fly, or just as the sun and moon aid all living beings, the efforts of
you brothers have led your father to take faith in the Lotus Sutra.

(WND, 845)
A Father Takes Faith
Written to Ikegami Hyoe no Sakan Munenaga on September 9, 1277

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

• The Gohonzon is a manifestation of the supreme life-state of eternity, happiness, true self and purity attained by the Daishonin.
  • Those who establish a sublime inner state through faith in the Gohonzon during this lifetime will be able to keep inactive and dormant the lower life-states steeped in earthly desires, negative karma and suffering.
  • Those who wholeheartedly dedicated themselves to the Law, uphold Buddhism and practice it just as the Buddha instructs are truly admirable.
  • Those who continue to take action for kosen-rufu in the same spirit as the Daishonin can manifest the same lofty life-state he attained. -LB p 68.
I clearly recall how my mentor, Mr. Toda, used to say: "We should be confident that we, the members of the Soka Gakkai, are noble emissaries who have been sent by the Buddha. We mustn't look down on ourselves. We are the emanations of the Daishonin." ... -President Ikeda LB p 69,70.

Nam myoho renge kyo

scegy

Warm welcome for you xlatit!
Stick around and enjoy the sunshine with us:)

Have a wonderful day people!

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Buddha has smiled and said, look no further than your own doorstep for fellowship. I recently wrote of a desire to leave this area as there seemed to be no practicing Nichiren Buddhists within a hundred miles or so...

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

It seems this group has been under my nose all along
http://nichirenscoffeehouse.net/Independent.html
And I am happy to say they are right down the road aways. But that being said today their ranch is burning - the OASIS fire has spread to 1200 acres over night and I'm chanting for quick containment on this one!

I found this on their site:

Once upon a time there were a small group of Buddhists who lived on a mountain. A War broke out in the flatlands and the armies were recruiting soldiers far and wide. The mountain people didn't believe in war so they refused to enlist. The soldiers came from far and wide to get them to fight their war, but they continued to resist. One day there appeared two spiritual friends who walked the Good Red Road with the Lakota Sioux. The sun was shining bright as they sat together under the trees. Directly above, there appreared in the sky a giant rainbow for all to see. The neighbors came and asked in wonder, "How can there be a rainbow when there is no sign of rain?" Another asked "How can it just be there, upside down, in the bright sun?" We stood together in awe and wonder at the upside down rainbow. No one said a word. It was there for hours which seemed to stand still with time. When the rainbow began to fade, the wise Lakota woman spoke. "In the spirit world the rainbow is right-side up We are seeing it's refelction here. It is a symbol of peace. From today forward you are the Rainbow Tribe gifted by the grandfathers to walk the Road of Peace." The Independent Movement was born from that rainbow. One soldier stayed behind and joined the quest for peace, then another and another and another.... We have walked a long and difficult path together planting seeds along the Way. Like Lotus flowers, the seeds are Emerging from the Earth.
The Endless Beginning ~ Carmen Shakuca of Lake County, CA

xlatit

scegy - thanks for being so welcoming.

to all - i had a chance to meditate today. It really helped me focus and I ended up going on a 5 mile run when its only my second day back. I hardly felt out of breath!

bbud - nice to see you again, i was always an admirer.

I'm recently working on being more persistent. I like a lot of the fundamentals of what you all talk about around here

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well how sweet it is to come home to find SoCal back! Hey dude! I have been chanting for you big time!!!

Yesterday was four hours and forty minutes and today another five hours, but I finished my million Diamoku chart in five months and am now happily another forty minutes into the next one. These things look so awesome hanging on the wall next to the Butsudan. This is my 4th in two years and eight months.

That combines with other challenges and I just haven't had time to get back here and post and I'm so sorry!

Desi was so right about the effects of losing my beloved Coal. His remains have been sitting in front of me in the Butsudan while I've been chanting these hours of Daimoku (he's been cremated and his ashes are in an urn). God I can still cry if I just think about him! But my other three cats are getting lots of love they weren't, so there is a silver lining to all of this, as there always is.

I just gave another Gosho lecture Saturday and my group is grooving along pretty nicely. Wednesday night Gosho study meetings have turned into impromtue encouragement sessions with me using my years of practice to encourage others and it feels good to feel the members seeking spirit in those meetings. I have become Loydd Sewell SoCal! I can't believe it, but it has happened.

It's a fucking blast and I can't believe who I actually have become by just hanging in there and doing what the Gosho says to do. I have said it before, but I live in the Land of Eternally Tranquil Light (except when the wife is kicking my ass which seems to be about half of the time).

Warmest regards and deepest repect to all!

Thomas

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It also states that, if the minds of living beings are impure, their land is also impure, but if their minds are pure, so is their land. There are not two lands, pure or impure in themselves. The difference lies solely in the good or evil of our minds."

(On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 4) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, September 7th, 2009

scegy

Thank you for your kind words PTD and good luck or should i say Daimoku with your problems!
But things are far from perfect and if you ask me i'm not worthy of your(anyone's) respect, because when things come down to my personal relationship....man i am like the biggest jerk and non-Buddhist that can be found because i'm really loosing patience, along with non-weed-smoking it's really a big big challenge to not beat the shit out of everything i encounter in the moments of pure rage since i have so much more energy now when i'm not stoned 24/7.
But i must say, Gohonzon is my only friend in times like these, weed did help me to not feel the rage so much and to get tired before i could do some harm. But Gohonzon is just a bitch slappin' machine, everytime i think of smoking or fighting now, he reminds me on my vow, my determinations etc. and i can either ignore it(and feel even dumber) or listen and try to persevere in what i know is right to do.
Like said, a constant battle between good and evil in my head, and without weed it's sometimes scary because of the potential that got really big lately, either the potential in good or...in evil.

So in the end all i can say is thank you Nichiren for doing what you did, i can escape the truth no more, I must build a better self or else....who knows?

And by thank you Nichiren, i think of all the Nichirens of this world and our united fight, thank you, thank you, thank you!

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Thanks for all the D's T!

Man so sorry to hear about Coal kitty. That alpha was amazing and am glad I had a chance to be around him for some good times. A good many years he had for sure and got to travel many places too; not too many get that opportunity and all the years of daimoku he had around him.

Congrats on your amazing Daimoku accomplishments and being another SoShibucho!!! That is great!

You said: "(except when the wife is kicking my ass which seems to be about half of the time)"

Wow, even with all those D's? Damn, I need to chant more then as I am up to like 89%! lol

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Congrats on your amazing Daimoku accomplishments and being another SoShibucho!!! That is great!

You said: "(except when the wife is kicking my ass which seems to be about half of the time)"

Wow, even with all those D's? Damn, I need to chant more then as I am up to like 89%! lol

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Dude without all of those D's I'm sure it would be ALL OF THE TIME! I was trying to be funny and should have inserted a "lol" there. I tried a smiley but it looked stupid and since it was a 'quick reply', I couldn't figure out how to stick one of those cute cartoon graphics in.

Dude, if you haven't noticed yet, it is my opinion that the Devil of the Sixth Heaven fuctions most fluidly as reflected by the effect of our spouses in our lives. In my experience, lots of Daimoku doesn't necessarily translate into a conflict free relationship. Nor do I expect it to:

“[As practice progresses and understanding grows], the three obstacles and four devils emerge in confusing form, vying with one another to interfere.” The Opening of the Eyes, WND / pg. 281.

I just do my best to take what life throws at me each day and do my best to kick its ass. As long as the lives of my wife and children are protected, I'm happy. That's all I really need to make sure happens. I do what I can.

I appreciate everyone who shares their lives here!

Where's Bonzo?

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is my wish that not a single one of you will ever be defeated by adversity. Everyone faces problems and difficulties. No matter how happy a person may seem, they are bound to have hardships of some kind. To bring happiness to bloom in our lives, undefeated by obstacles, maintaining a positive outlook, and enjoying good health - that is our challenge, and also the reason we chant daimoku. Those who remain steadfast in their faith and practice will lead a life free of regret. My wife and I are always chanting with the fervent prayer that everyone will become happy without fail. Faith is the key; you are sure to win, because you possess the ultimate means for happiness.

(SGI Newsletter No. 7827, SGI President Ikeda's Speech, 31ST SOKA GAKKAI HEADQUARTERS LEADERS MEETING - PART 2 [OF 2], Translated July 28th, 2009)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"I will be the pillar of Japan. I will be the eyes of Japan. I will be the great ship of Japan. This is my vow, and I will never forsake it!"

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 280) Selection source: Essay - Light of the Century of Humanity by SGI President Ikeda, Seikyo Shimbun, August 16th, 2009

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
As I have been saying for some time, in your situation as a lay believer, you
should just single-mindedly chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo morning and evening, day
and night, and observe what happens at the last moments of your life. At that
time, hasten to the summit of perfect enlightenment, and look around you in all
directions. The entire realm of phenomena will have changed into the Land of
Tranquil Light, Buddhas and bodhisattvas all being caressed by breezes of
eternity, happiness, true self, and purity. We, too, will surely be among their
number.

(WND, 843)
Reply to Matsuno
Written to Matsuno Rokuro Saemon on September 9, 1277

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Rather than sitting around idly and rusting, we must act, give of ourselves and
contribute something to the world. The French scholar Robert Arnauld (1588-1674)
declared, "Have we not all eternity to rest in?" Why do you seek to rest while
you are still alive? He asks. These are venerable words indeed. When young
people make truly dedicated efforts, almost punishing themselves, their true
brilliance will shine forth.

Daisaku Ikeda

xlatit

daimoku!!!

Now I know what that means, thanks pass! Anyone who needs a smile today just know I have you in my head and heart.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
The word "character" originated from the Greek words meaning "sculpture" and "impression." Character, then, could be thought of that which is shaped or etched. It may be true from a medical perspective that our psychological and physiological traits are generally predetermined genetically. Knowing this, however, adds little to our lives. The only issue that matters is how we can better ourselves here and now.

Daisaku Ikeda

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Status
Not open for further replies.