What's new

CFL Club!

BTLSfan

Newbie here planning a CFL grow, what are you guys using for Odor Control/ventiliation...

Im eyeing an S and P fan for ventilation, but not sure what will work for odor control in a smallish type box (18'' x 18" x 30)...almost too small for a professional filter...anyone have a good odor control for say, 2-3 plants in a space that small.

budrunners

Do a google search for CFL colored bulbs, there are reds, blues, green, orange, yellows, blacklight color, reading up on LED lights they have combination of colors for optimum plant growth ratios like 7 red bulbs,1-2 blues bulbs, 1 warm white bulb. Im thinking of using a large flood light hood as a reflector add 3 "Y" bulb adapters, so that would give you 4 bulbs in a hood 2 - 26w red, 1 - 13w blue, 1 - 26w warm white. Run that next to a 3 x 26w warm white with 1 - 26w cool white. Then lets see what happens to plant growth. I think its worth a shot for shit n grins haha

pixidust

I'm so glad I found this thread!

I am new to CFL's and have seen so many beautiful plants grown under them!

I am using (3) 65 watt CFLs in 4 sq.ft. (900 watts 11,700 lumens) to flower.
I have been keeping my plants 3 to inches away and they seem fine, but not sure if this may be too close due to the size of the bigger bulb. As long as they dont get too warm is this distance ok or should I get within 2 inches?

I have good ventilation and airflow.

Thanks ,

pixidust

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
Newbie here planning a CFL grow, what are you guys using for Odor Control/ventiliation...

Im eyeing an S and P fan for ventilation, but not sure what will work for odor control in a smallish type box (18'' x 18" x 30)...almost too small for a professional filter...anyone have a good odor control for say, 2-3 plants in a space that small.

This was first posted by Pig Pen: Here's one for the Micro's. :headbange

This is based on an Atrium Grate from the hardware store, outdoor plumbing. They come in a range of sizes, 3", 4", 6", etc. The one pictured is 3". This is perfect for veg or dryer boxes, or PC-sized bloom boxes. For larger and/or stinkier applications you can easily "T"-together 2 or more using fittings from the HDWR store.

Takes only a few minutes and no real tools. :jump:

What you need:

- Atrium Grate
- single legging, the cheap ones that come in the "eggs" are perfect.
- zip tie, or two
- a few ounces (for the 3") activated carbon.

Total cost, ~ $10 :headbange (using a 3", they get more expensive as they get bigger.)

- scissors, fingernail clippers, snips or whatever to trim the zip-ties.
- a length of Duct or Foil (I prefer Foil tape) to mount it.

It's self explanatory but I'll walk you through it anyhow. :dance:

Arrange your things out in front of you, such as this....

Now stick the Grate down into the stocking, (or pull the stocking over the grate :bashhead:) as such....

Apply zip-ties just under the flange, tighten them down as much as you can without breaking them.....

"Cut the fat" .....

Pull the stocking back over the grate (or pull the grate out of the stocking..).... be careful not to snag and start a run on the edges of the zip-ties you just trimmed. You may want to put a piece of tape over it/them. Or just be careful.

Pour some carbon in, work it around and even it out. Add more as needed and keep working until you have a good, even 1/2" or so layer. Tie the stocking off and again, trim da fat....

I should add that before you tie it off, you need to pull the stocking as tight as you can get it. This tension will allow it to keep it's shape for the most part, otherwise it will just sag downward. This is also why you need to use zip-ties or a hose clamp; if you use rubber bands or anything flexible it will come right off when you are giving it the "final tensioning".
From the inside....

Tape it up and yer done! :jump:
And if you aren't able to get mesh pots, you can use caps from a couple of liquid laundry soap bottles. And drill holes in it.:joint:

virago420

I'm so glad I found this thread!

I am new to CFL's and have seen so many beautiful plants grown under them!

I am using (3) 65 watt CFLs in 4 sq.ft. (900 watts 11,700 lumens) to flower.
I have been keeping my plants 3 to inches away and they seem fine, but not sure if this may be too close due to the size of the bigger bulb. As long as they dont get too warm is this distance ok or should I get within 2 inches?

I have good ventilation and airflow.

Thanks ,

pixidust

That sounds just about right as long as you indeed have good airflow. Ive had my buds within half inch of the bulbs and never get any burn. Airflow is definately key here though. Good luck with your grow. Peace

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Nice thread on cfl micro grows, just a thought occurred has anyone considered a colored cfl bulb for your grow ? Like the LED grow lights which are very pricey, I found CFL bulbs that are a bright red, bright blue. Maybe a mixture ratio of 6 red x 3 blue x 1 white might work ??? You would be giving the plant more of the light spectrum it needs to grow more effectively why burn bulbs that only give the plants a small percentage of usable light ???? why not and what if ???

picture.php

Can you grow with cold cathode computer lighting?

This is how they look in a cd

so

You should first figure out how the color is accomplished.

but either way it will look pretty awesome

I had to pull the pin on mine but I grew a plant to this stage under just 2 blues. Will get it on the road again when the weather cools and I finish it properly. There is a lot of info on that thread though, covering this issue.

:abduct:

BTLSfan

This was first posted by Pig Pen: Here's one for the Micro's. :headbange

This is based on an Atrium Grate from the hardware store, outdoor plumbing. They come in a range of sizes, 3", 4", 6", etc. The one pictured is 3". This is perfect for veg or dryer boxes, or PC-sized bloom boxes. For larger and/or stinkier applications you can easily "T"-together 2 or more using fittings from the HDWR store.

Takes only a few minutes and no real tools. :jump:

What you need:

- Atrium Grate
- single legging, the cheap ones that come in the "eggs" are perfect.
- zip tie, or two
- a few ounces (for the 3") activated carbon.

Total cost, ~ $10 :headbange (using a 3", they get more expensive as they get bigger.)

- scissors, fingernail clippers, snips or whatever to trim the zip-ties.
- a length of Duct or Foil (I prefer Foil tape) to mount it.

It's self explanatory but I'll walk you through it anyhow. :dance:

Arrange your things out in front of you, such as this....

Now stick the Grate down into the stocking, (or pull the stocking over the grate :bashhead:) as such....

Apply zip-ties just under the flange, tighten them down as much as you can without breaking them.....

"Cut the fat" .....

Pull the stocking back over the grate (or pull the grate out of the stocking..).... be careful not to snag and start a run on the edges of the zip-ties you just trimmed. You may want to put a piece of tape over it/them. Or just be careful.

Pour some carbon in, work it around and even it out. Add more as needed and keep working until you have a good, even 1/2" or so layer. Tie the stocking off and again, trim da fat....

I should add that before you tie it off, you need to pull the stocking as tight as you can get it. This tension will allow it to keep it's shape for the most part, otherwise it will just sag downward. This is also why you need to use zip-ties or a hose clamp; if you use rubber bands or anything flexible it will come right off when you are giving it the "final tensioning".
From the inside....

Tape it up and yer done! :jump:
And if you aren't able to get mesh pots, you can use caps from a couple of liquid laundry soap bottles. And drill holes in it.:joint:

Thanks, I was leaning toward maybe a bigger box to fit a pro filter if I had to, wasnt sure about the effictiveness of the DIY filters. Have heard both sides, but Id probably try something like this first....My main plan is just to make a seed run on my 7 remaining Lowlife AK-47 AF seeds..something like this might be ok for just a couple plants.

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
Thanks, I was leaning toward maybe a bigger box to fit a pro filter if I had to, wasnt sure about the effictiveness of the DIY filters. Have heard both sides, but Id probably try something like this first....My main plan is just to make a seed run on my 7 remaining Lowlife AK-47 AF seeds..something like this might be ok for just a couple plants.
Your quite welcome I'll be doing the same when I get to the flowering stage.:joint:

komrade komura

HARVEST TIME

HARVEST TIME

Today is Harvest day.

Flowering time 67 days

2 X 125 W CFL (Maxibright) Blue during Veg....then Red during bloom

Blueberry (Dutch Passion FEM) and OG Kush (Reserva Privada FEM)

The Good:

- Blueberry plant is indestructible.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=785992&ppuser=106993
- OG Kush smoke quality is exceptional
http://www.icmag.com/ic/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=785993&ppuser=106993

- Blueberry smoke quality is very good

The Bad:

- Moving plants: twice shoved into duffel bags too small for them and stored for up to 6 hours.

- Overzealous LST caused me to split the main stem on the Blueberry...not once but twice

- Soil was too hot. The plants were fairly tolerant of it, but think more tender strains would have not faired as well

- Veg too long

The Beautiful:

http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/0291.JPG
http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/0271.JPG
http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/026.JPG
http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/025.JPG
http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/024.JPG
http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/0201.JPG

inpain0013

Today is Harvest day.
WONDERFUL!!!! It's better than Christmas morning as a kid, isn't it? :yes:

As for the mistakes, I wouldn't worry too much about them. They say that everyone makes mistakes! Of course, I wouldn't know anything about that... I'm the epitome of perfection :nanana: ....... NOT!!!! :laughing: Hey, I'll take your mistakes over mine... any day!!!!

Enjoy your smoke!! :yes:

IP :smoker:

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Howday CFL Club and the lurkers :wave::smoker: here is a couple of plants finishing up just in time for :xmasnut: :elf:

These three are getting flushed till 15th Dec then :tree: :smokeit:
Heavy fuel smelling with nice fruity overtones. None of these plants or any of my micro cab plants would be possible if it weren't for ICMAG and it's very helpful members, :thanks:. On another note patiently waiting for REZDog and Tom Hill to drop their latest genetics, like a little kid waiting for santa, it's gonna be killa people :window:
Happy Gardening All.
Peace.
:eggnog:

komrade komura

b00m...reckon you got a diesel blend on the grow?
Well trimmed plants...perfect trimming and sizing for a micro. Got any secrets to share?

Just sitting down this afternoon with a little jar of OG Kush.