What's new

CFL Club!

rando

...because it's really only a 25 watt bulb. cfl manufacturers always use a higher rating to describe their bulbs because, to the human eye, it's putting out light 'equivalent' to a 100 watt incandescent bulb. always use the lower rating when referring to cfls.

Ahh, marketing trickery. :(

I see where it says 25w now, dunno how I missed it the first time. Thanks for the help. :)

Max0r

Yo,

Checkin in to the CFL thread. Currently running 6x25w 2700K CFL's in a my rubbermaid cab. Got two 707 Headband cuts and two Hindu Skunk cuts veggin on their 4th or 5th node (24/0).
Soil is standard issue FFOF, no nutes yet. Waiting for my bulb order to come in so I can switch out the 25w's for 42w's. :woohoo:

hi,
here are some of the plants i grew under two 125w eco-lite, i grow it in coco, doing a SOG :
two AK-47 from Somaseeds :
pc140029su5.jpg
pc140036uz0.jpg

and here's an A+ (A.K.A Rock bud) from soma :
pc260027mt5.jpg

here's a pic of my DIY reflector :
pb020032um5.jpg

it's shape at the size of my growroom, and the CFL are not horizontal because the back is not very bright, they are set in order to light all the room.

bye

Hey everybody, I've got a cfl spectrum question. I've got a little cab grow going with a sog of some different strains of AF's. When I started the grow I was using 4 23watt 2700k and 4 27watt cool white(I think 6500k) cfl's but as my little plants get taller and I move my DIY reflector up I've been adding cfl's to the side of my cab for some side lighting. My question is this: it seems like a lot of people use the 2700k or 6500k or a combination of the two but I was at home depot a few days ago and picked up a two pack of 23watt 3500k cfl's. I'm wondering if this color temp has any type of effect on MJ? My thinking behind adding them to my little setup was just to offer my plants a little more/different spectrum they weren't getting with just the 27k and the 65k cfl's. Am I wasting my time/space for more 27 or 65k cfl's by adding that color spectrum? I just hear a lot about 27 and 65k(cool white) temp cfl's and was wondering what thoughts/experience you guys had with the 3500k cfl's? They look kinda white/kinda yellow when I plug them in. My set up now with them is 4 23watt 2700k, 4 27watt 6500k(cool white) and 2 23watt 3500k. Any advice or input would be really helpful!

hi,
for the growing stage, the best ever temp is the 4200K, 6500K only would give you small plant, with very small internodes, and 2700K alone would give you high plants, but not compact. i think 3500K is fine, your plants will apreciate to recive some light from 2 other 3500K bulbs.
for the flowering time, i think you should change all your bulbs for 2700K during the 2-3 first weeks, progressively.

bye

Thank you tatachristin, I noticed a little more stretch as I moved to a 50/50 ratio of 2700 and 6500k, for the first few weeks when I was using a majority of 6500k they all stayed very short and compact(which is what I would like). I haven't seen any 4200k at home depot yet but I'll keep my eye out for them and if I find some I'll definetly incorperate them into my set up. Thanks again!

On a side note, I've been growing/propagating salt water coral for 10+ years and I've been wondering what effect using actinic cfl's would have on MJ? With coral, if I just used typical "daylight" bulbs ie. 65k,67k... coral keep a normal brown/green/boring color. However, I incorperate actinic bulbs it brings out their neon/florecent colors. In fact I normally use a 14000k mh bulb with actinic flouro's to produce the best growth/color in my coral. I wonder if using some actinic bulbs might bring out some nice purples and such on strains that can produce cool colors normally brought on by genetics and cool temps during flowering? Anybody tried using actinics growing MJ?

hi,

sorry, i cannot help you for this other light because i dont know what actinics are, but, for MJ, the color of the leaves and buds are not so influenced by the temp of the light, i dont think i'm wrong if i say that the color of MJ is rather influenced by the temp of the growroom, (cold nights will help your plants to turn black or purple). the nutriments are also influencing the color of MJ, i think that PK is playing an important role for the color changes of MJ.

bye

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
In fact I normally use a 14000k mh bulb with actinic flouro's to produce the best growth/color in my coral. I wonder if using some actinic bulbs might bring out some nice purples and such on strains that can produce cool colors normally brought on by genetics and cool temps during flowering? Anybody tried using actinics growing MJ?

I use PL-L lamps and I'm definitely going to look into adding some Actinic lamps as soon as I can. Right now I don't have any extra room to 'play' so it'll have to wait.

I've found a much better selection of spectrum for the PL-L lamps (Remote Ballast CFLs) than any other CFL so far. You can get Actinic 03 Blue and White as well as Blue/White combination lamps. (one tube of each in the same lamp)

Check them out!

Very very interesting Hydro-Soil. I use the white/actinic cfl's with remote ballast's in the shallow water tanks I breed coral in. Actinics have been in use in saltwater reef tanks for over ten years now. It's well known by saltwater reefers that if you want bright/extreme colors in your coral you HAVE to use actinics. I haven't found any screw in/twist cfl's in actinics yet, if I could find them I would definetly give them a shot now. I really wonder if strains that have genetics for producing nice purples/blues and reds would really let their colors scream under actinics like coral does? After all, coral are plants at heart too. Could be on to something here........

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Very very interesting Hydro-Soil. I use the white/actinic cfl's with remote ballast's in the shallow water tanks I breed coral in.
Those are the same lamps I'm planning on picking up. The Fulham electronic ballast I have will run them just fine. The 55W actinic CFLs ARE the 55w PL-L lamps I'm talking about. :) If you have an old ballast and lamp you can add it to your grow right now. They're about 20" to 22" long.

I really wonder if strains that have genetics for producing nice purples/blues and reds would really let their colors scream under actinics like coral does? After all, coral are plants at heart too. Could be on to something here........

From what I've read, they cause very dense, vegetative growth but I can't remember anything at the moment about colors. Possibly but not sure. I would imagine they'd be close to what you'd get with a 10,000K MH but better due to the broader spectrum the CFL puts out.

I'm heading over to the fish/pet store today, if they have any screw in type actinics I'll pick some up and give them a go. I'm really interested in what effect they might have on mj?

i have picked up alot of great information here and will be putting my knowledge too play in my next grow!
feel free too drop by my thread and let me know what i can be doing better/more efficiently!

:yoinks:Wut up wut up, !!!CFL CLUB!!!! Here are some pics of my plants in the works!! Getting rid of the two smaller ones i have right now in the room, and in the end i will have. 3 Purple Kush, 1 Bubba Kush, 1 Great Grandfather Grape, and 2 Sour Northern Light/Nevils Haze.. All clones, and 2 SNL/NH's coming soon to a picture near u!!:woohoo::woohoo::yoinks:
topped plant!!

->> bubba kush, only keeping one on right!!->
<<<----- Closet Grow
<<<---- Nutes Im workin with, still have to get boost!!

drmojo

Does anyone have any idea where to get the sort of light sockets found in Ambre's thread here: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=16836 ? She said she got them at Lowe's, but i couldn't find any there, and I asked an employee and he said they don't have them. I can't find them anywhere, bascally. I'm trying to make a similar set-up and I need some light sockets. thanks in advance for your help!

edit: would this work? http://htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=45797 and if so, is there anywhere to get this cheaper?

edit: nevermind, found them at a local lighting and electrical supply store. they were still kind of pricey but they were cheaper than those

B

banjobrain

Hey y'all. I've posted the following post on a couple different threads...please feel free to respond here or at my own thread about my cab construction. Hopefully all of you CFL growers can help me out!

I finally made up my mind regarding lighting and I am going to go with CFLs possibly supplemented by a 150w HPS during flowering.

This is what I think I'm going to do...

4 x 55 watt Bright Kit™

If you go to the above link and scroll down the page, you see a 4x55w and a 6x55w combo pack. I know that if I were to buy parts separately I could run a set up like this for considerably cheaper, but I'd be buying the parts online, and due to my lack of experience, I'd undoubtedly forget something and be stuck...so I'm going to take the easy road and buy a pre-fab kit.

• Now, I just need to figure out what bulbs to outfit this set up with.

Any ideas????

Below are the 55w bulbs listed on their site.

• 55 21.1-5" 5500K 15555 $17.99 - [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Warm daylight appearance like morning light. This bulb has an exceptionally high Color Rendering Index of 91.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 55 21.1-5" 6700K 11556 $17.99 - [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Very bright, full spectrum, clear white light. Like daylight in the middle of the afternoon under a clear blue sky.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 55 21.1-5" 7800K 11557 $17.99 - [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]This bulb is just slightly bluer and cooler than the 6700K but maintains a balanced full spectrum for good growth. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 55 21.1-5" 10000K 11551 $17.99 - [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Sometimes referred to as purified super-daylight, this is a very attractive bulb for a marine setup. White with a slight bluish tinge.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 55 21.1-5" Bright Blue 11552 $17.99 - [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Use in a ratio of 1/1 or 1/2 with 10000K or 7800K bulbs to achieve the marine look you want. Peak output in the 420-430nm range with almost all output between 400nm and 500nm. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 55 21.1-5" Deep Blue 03 11559 $17.99 - [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]A deep blue 03 actinic bulb. Use in a ratio or 1/1 or 1/2 with 10000K bulbs to achieve the marine look you want. Peak output in the 420-430nm range with almost all output between 380nm and 450nm. [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 55 21.1-5" 10000K/Deep Blue 03 Combo 15519 $17.99
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Here is some additional information regarding the bulbs...can you help translate this for me?

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]** Bulbs with a Color Temperature of 5500K through 7800K are appropriate for freshwater planted aquariums. There is no practical difference regarding plant growth, but there is an appearance difference. Bulbs around 5500K have a warmer daylight appearance similar to early morning light. Bulbs around 6700K have an appearance more like daylight in the middle of the afternoon under a clear blue sky. The 7800K bulb are just slightly bluer than the 6700K but maintain a balanced, daylight spectrum.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]For marine aquariums, you'll want to mix 7800K or 10000K bulbs with Blue bulbs in a ratio of 1:1 or 2:1 or use the Combo bulbs which have one tube that is 10000K and the other tube dark blue actinic.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]For Blue actinic bulbs we provide a description rather than a color temperature so you'll better understand what appearance to expect. Those bulbs called Bright/Medium Blue put out most of their light between 400nm and 500nm. Those called Dark/Deep Blue put out most of their light between 380nm and 450nm. Both have their primary spectral peak at around 420-430nm. Actinism is a property of radiation which, in the visible spectrum, has wavelengths between 380nm and 500nm.
[/FONT]

I've also looked at these bulbs from HTG Garden supply...

BIAX F55T5 High Output Bulbs

BlueHalo

45 gallon Rubbermaids. 25,600 lumens

45 gallon Rubbermaids. 25,600 lumens

Hey everyone! I just moved to the mainland from Hawaii where I did some great outdoor grows over the years but now that I back on this hunk of rock my space is limited and so I decided to go with a 45 gallon Rubbermaid setup. I am running 16x23 watt 6700 K which and are 1600 lumens each = 25,600 lumens. I am growing 5 Tundra Autoflower, 5 White Berry, 3 Spoetnik, and 1 Purple Lady, all feminized. I am growing in GH Coco Coir and using Botanicare nutes. The problem that I am having is that my humidity is only at 30% and at 87 degrees. I have 122m pc fan as an intake and one as an exhaust but can't seem to keep things in line, Any suggestions? Also, I am only on the 2nd to 3rd node on most of the plants. Is this typical for CFL's? They are mostly indica. I don't have light traps on the fans. Is this a problem? Thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Image005.jpg
    Image005.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Image019.jpg
    Image019.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 12
  • tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

BlueHalo

Hey everyone! I just moved to the mainland from Hawaii where I did some great outdoor grows over the years but now that I back on this hunk of rock my space is limited and so I decided to go with a 45 gallon Rubbermaid setup. I am running 16x23 watt 6700 K which and are 1600 lumens each = 25,600 lumens. I am growing 5 Tundra Autoflower, 5 White Berry, 3 Spoetnik, and 1 Purple Lady, all feminized. I am growing in GH Coco Coir and using Botanicare nutes. The problem that I am having is that my humidity is only at 30% and at 87 degrees. I have 122m pc fan as an intake and one as an exhaust but can't seem to keep things in line, Any suggestions? Also, I am only on the 2nd to 3rd node on most of the plants. Is this typical for CFL's? They are mostly indica. I don't have light traps on the fans. Is this a problem? Thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Image019.jpg
    Image019.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Image005.jpg
    Image005.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 14
  • tn.jpg
    tn.jpg