What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CATS!

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From Apex Predator To Clumsy Kitten | Lion In Your Living Room (Full Documentary) | Pets & Vets

Nannymouse

Spent about 20 years raising/showing. Baths were never a problem, as far as me thinking that i'd get bitten or scratched. I think that i got a scratch one time, but it was from me trying to catch one that was trying to escape, it was an accident, not intentional on the cat's part. Those were 'mine' and bathed since young. Never ever tried bathing a 'strange' cat. Lots of yowling their discontent, from some, but they ALL loved the warm toweling, afterward. I'm allergic to cat spit/dander, so it was done often, even when not show season.

Nannymouse

One of the things that i did with both horses and cats was the thing that i call 'SomethingNew'. Every day, announce 'something new' and show them or do something new. Always careful that they wouldn't get startled or hurt. Also, around the house, i would pop open new trash bags, etc, stuff that usually scares cats...then feed right away. Eventually, if there was something that sounded unusual, they'd be investigating. And yes, if the other cats are running toward a scary thing, instead of running away, the 'new' kitties would catch on more easily. They got to where they expected something new.

One of my newbie mistakes with showing, was to think that i needed to shield them from the cat show 'goings on'. I eventually learned to take a newbie cat (best to start in kitten class) and get to the show very early. Then, as the first few people are setting up, i would hold the cat high in the air, so that it had an 'over look' of the place. As the other competitors would come in and set up, the cat/kitten would be watching. Had cats that so loved going to shows, that i'd have to double check that they were not sneaking into the carrier. I also had one that went to more shows than needed, she'd already gotten her championship and would never had made a grand, but she was friendly with all the other cats and was a calming buddy for the others, especially the ones that hadn't been shown, or if it had been a while.

At home, i would set up a table and do the stuff that the judges would do(feel their bodies and tail, look at the teeth, and play with cat toys). I would hold them high, often, so that they were used to that, too, before they ever went to a show. The training was fun, the shows were usually fun, win or lose.

We grew up training dogs simple obedience, with hand and body signals, so was using some of that knowledge with the cats and horses. had horses that would 'heel', ha. Also had taught horses simple tricks, like nodding for a yes answer and shaking their heads(sometimes a full body shake, ha) for no, 'counting' with hoof, kneel, etc.

The racing pigeons...that's a lot different, but i used to show them, too, so used a bit of previous experience in prep for that.

SubGirl

420club
One of the things that i did with both horses and cats was the thing that i call 'SomethingNew'. Every day, announce 'something new' and show them or do something new. Always careful that they wouldn't get startled or hurt. Also, around the house, i would pop open new trash bags, etc, stuff that usually scares cats...then feed right away. Eventually, if there was something that sounded unusual, they'd be investigating. And yes, if the other cats are running toward a scary thing, instead of running away, the 'new' kitties would catch on more easily. They got to where they expected something new.

One of my newbie mistakes with showing, was to think that i needed to shield them from the cat show 'goings on'. I eventually learned to take a newbie cat (best to start in kitten class) and get to the show very early. Then, as the first few people are setting up, i would hold the cat high in the air, so that it had an 'over look' of the place. As the other competitors would come in and set up, the cat/kitten would be watching. Had cats that so loved going to shows, that i'd have to double check that they were not sneaking into the carrier. I also had one that went to more shows than needed, she'd already gotten her championship and would never had made a grand, but she was friendly with all the other cats and was a calming buddy for the others, especially the ones that hadn't been shown, or if it had been a while.

At home, i would set up a table and do the stuff that the judges would do(feel their bodies and tail, look at the teeth, and play with cat toys). I would hold them high, often, so that they were used to that, too, before they ever went to a show. The training was fun, the shows were usually fun, win or lose.

We grew up training dogs simple obedience, with hand and body signals, so was using some of that knowledge with the cats and horses. had horses that would 'heel', ha. Also had taught horses simple tricks, like nodding for a yes answer and shaking their heads(sometimes a full body shake, ha) for no, 'counting' with hoof, kneel, etc.

The racing pigeons...that's a lot different, but i used to show them, too, so used a bit of previous experience in prep for that.
Do you do still do any of that training and showing nannymouse? You still have all the animals?

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Annie Tokely

she is 17

IMG_0085.jpeg

IMG_0083.jpeg

Nannymouse

No, @SubGirl ,i gave up my horses in my 20's, but i did ride professionally one summer after that. Still have my 'last' almost 20 year old show kitty, she's sleeping in a heap of blankies and a heating pad, right now. With luck, will be flying birds(racing pigeons) for a couple of years, but i see my future as moving to town and watching a lot of tv, and continuing to kill spiderplants and coleus.