What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Casey Jones Grow Along

LouDog420

Great looking lady there F. Dupp!

Tony, Pics look a bit familiar... A very talented grower there to get such a monster in a 5 gal smartie, but also a very special plant...

Quick notes...

For those finding their way here from gorilla bubble land and wondering what cjsb is... Short version, an open pollination of sour bubble and casey jones lines originally mean as a starting point for further refinement and increasing outdoor vigor. Long version, which would be nicer if pics were still around, but sadly not the case... https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=4726076#post4726076

A few selections here and there, but mostly letting the genes do their thing. So hats off to BOG and H3ad.

But, in my lack of selection, there also presents a wide range of phenos, some with instability (intersex heat mainly, some light sensitivity) but mostly just a wide variety mixing sour bubble, thai, trainwreck, and the sour families… In what are essentially f2s, these beans were meant for pheno hunting and personal stockpile. After lots of good feedback over the years, they’re getting old and are in a place to help out a buddy, so what better use than that? People should be aware and I'm sure Tony will figure a way to pass along the original spirit of the cjsb, as he is now the keeper of the cjsb and all have been donated to help tortured beans and the work they’re doing…

As far as that monster of a girl known as the GH… The hats are off to Dr. Penthotal and Catnip Seeds… If not familiar, go check his forum: https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65751... Now, I believe, he’s also working with some chems, and of course his oranges, grapefruits, and nycds… He’s got a few cup wins under his belt for good reason. This girl is from his NYGhazeAO and really that description Tony posted says it all. She’s my sativa grail…

Should be some fun stuff coming out of that cross with the cjsb, hopefully a few phenos coming out will keep the GH characteristics and speed up their maturation time a bit…

Good vibes to Tony, catnip, h3ad, bog, and all you casey lovers out there.

Ya should try the truecannabliss Casey jones before you make that damaging judgement ,' black
:)
a feel acdc coming on! - you've been " ThunderstrucK !

Cannabis cup winner. ?

I had devils harvest seeds which were made from the cannabliss cut. There is many phenos of this strain, as I said there is some really nice ones just not as common as the others.

hesh

Nice to see people are still enjoying and working with Casey Jones. I was lucky to get a pack of these back around 2008 from what must have been a second release of seeds from h3ad on the bay. Initially popped 3 beans and got 2 females (culled a male, dumb mistake in hindsight) that I ran for about 4 years. Unfortunately between a move and a entrusting cuts to a friend they ended up getting lost. Here's old pics of the two phenos I had:

Called this one purple casey. Lemon burning rubber funky fuel smell and she always purpled up towards the end with lower temps. Chunky nugs, average yielder.
picture.php

This one leaned more sour.
picture.php

Popped two more beans about a year ago, and again got two females. One's close to the purple pheno I had in terms of smell and growth but a little tougher to get the color out of her. The other's definitely sour and really finicky. Surprisingly, both did great outdoors last summer for a friend and finished over 6' tall from clones put outside in early June.

Here's a shot of the sour pheno on day 48 earlier this week. Her nugs are chunky running calyxes that are pretty dense, but the overall structure of the buds are kinda loose.
picture.php

And a shot of the lemon funk pheno, which I think I put in the flower room last week. She's gonna be a real big bush.
picture.php

All the drooling I did reading this thread led me to put two more seeds in paper towels the other day and they had cracked open with taproots showing in less than 24 hours. Not bad for nearly 10 year old beans! Garden's pretty full right now but I may just have to go put the rest into paper towels and do an open pollination f2 with any males that show up...

picture.php

Keep the pics coming!

M

mugenbao

Check out this one by mugenbao he found recently... Unfortunately just a lower bud shot as he was revegging I believe, but gives you the idea...
attachment.php

I'm very sad to say I lost that reveg (and eventually every other plant and all mothers I had at the time) due to a recent experience with off gassing that took me way too long to diagnose and way too long to resolve. I went through the usual stages of trying to diagnose deficiencies, treating for pests, thinking they had fusarium wilt, etc. before realizing that it was off-gassing. I could grow healthy plants anywhere else practically on accident, but everything in that room died.

After removing everything that fit the typical off-gassing suspects and still having my plants dying on me, I eventually discovered that the culprit was a cheap particle-board cabinet that I had put into the room. Apparently they can off-gas formaldehyde or some related compound. I can't tell you how bummed I am about the whole debacle.

I've been doing some runs of other less valuable genetics in the meantime to assure myself that the problem is truly resolved, and have had had absolutely zero problems lately, so as soon as the current stuff finishes up I'm planning on popping the remainder of my original CJxSB seeds and seeing if I can rediscover that colored beauty and make a new mother.

Hope all is well with you, LouDog!

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm very sad to say I lost that reveg (and eventually every other plant and all mothers I had at the time) due to a recent experience with off gassing that took me way too long to diagnose and way too long to resolve. I went through the usual stages of trying to diagnose deficiencies, treating for pests, thinking they had fusarium wilt, etc. before realizing that it was off-gassing. I could grow healthy plants anywhere else practically on accident, but everything in that room died.

After removing everything that fit the typical off-gassing suspects and still having my plants dying on me, I eventually discovered that the culprit was a cheap particle-board cabinet that I had put into the room. Apparently they can off-gas formaldehyde or some related compound. I can't tell you how bummed I am about the whole debacle.

I've been doing some runs of other less valuable genetics in the meantime to assure myself that the problem is truly resolved, and have had had absolutely zero problems lately, so as soon as the current stuff finishes up I'm planning on popping the remainder of my original CJxSB seeds and seeing if I can rediscover that colored beauty and make a new mother.

Hope all is well with you, LouDog!

I would have thought a dose of formaldehyde that killes plants should at least cause several illness symptoms in humans.

M

mugenbao

I would have thought a dose of formaldehyde that killes plants should at least cause several illness symptoms in humans.
Interesting thought. It is only an assumption on my part that formaldehyde (or related compound) is the culprit here, and it could be possible that it was some other culprit that was also removed at the time that I removed the cabinet. Having said that, I do strongly believe that the cabinet was responsible in some way, as the problems started right around the same time that I put it into the room and cleared up when I finally removed it. It could also be true that there was more than one culprit (recirc hydro system complete with black plastic hose removed about a week prior, for example).

The room is not in a regular living area and I don't spend more than an hour or two in there per day on average, and even that is broken up into smaller chunks of time. The entire room is continually vented to the outside and is under constant negative pressure, so presumably any gasses would not bleed into living areas. It seems likely that the plants would be more sensitive to it than me due to them having chronic exposure over a much longer time frame. For that matter, I'm not sure how much I'd notice it if acute exposure doesn't result in obvious and immediate symptoms in humans since I already suffer from chronic respiratory illness for decades now.

For what it's worth, one of the reasons that it took me so long to diagnose is that often the plants in veg seemed to be "outgrowing" the problem, and the worst problems would only start to really kick in once growth slowed during flower. It wasn't enough to outright kill them immediately, it was a slow and steady process. I kept thinking I had the problem solved until inevitably it would show up again.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting thought. It is only an assumption on my part that formaldehyde (or related compound) is the culprit here, and it could be possible that it was some other culprit that was also removed at the time that I removed the cabinet. Having said that, I do strongly believe that the cabinet was responsible in some way, as the problems started right around the same time that I put it into the room and cleared up when I finally removed it. It could also be true that there was more than one culprit (recirc hydro system complete with black plastic hose removed about a week prior, for example).

The room is not in a regular living area and I don't spend more than an hour or two in there per day on average, and even that is broken up into smaller chunks of time. The entire room is continually vented to the outside and is under constant negative pressure, so presumably any gasses would not bleed into living areas. It seems likely that the plants would be more sensitive to it than me due to them having chronic exposure over a much longer time frame. For that matter, I'm not sure how much I'd notice it if acute exposure doesn't result in obvious and immediate symptoms in humans since I already suffer from chronic respiratory illness for decades now.

For what it's worth, one of the reasons that it took me so long to diagnose is that often the plants in veg seemed to be "outgrowing" the problem, and the worst problems would only start to really kick in once growth slowed during flower. It wasn't enough to outright kill them immediately, it was a slow and steady process. I kept thinking I had the problem solved until inevitably it would show up again.

Hopefully it is solved by removing that cabinet. I still believe they weren't killed by it when the room is ventilated constantly.

hesh

mugenbao, that's a really nice looking plant! sorry to hear you lost her.

Thought I'd put up a few pics of a nearly finished Casey Jones that was started from seed out of a long refrigerated pack from H3ad. This girl here is at about 70 days and might be one of the nicest looking CJs I've had the pleasure to grow. Wild colors, caked in trichs, and a great mix of lemon/gas/rubber/fruit terps that I could huff alllll day. Similar to the other pheno I've run for a while (in the bg of pic 2), save for the coloring. Also found and flowered out a small/runty male plant out of the two seeds that gave me this one below, saved a bit of pollen to make F2's at some point. I'm really hoping there's a good male in the last 4-6 seeds I have of these. :biggrin:

M

mugenbao

mugenbao, that's a really nice looking plant! sorry to hear you lost her.

Thought I'd put up a few pics of a nearly finished Casey Jones that was started from seed out of a long refrigerated pack from H3ad. This girl here is at about 70 days and might be one of the nicest looking CJs I've had the pleasure to grow. Wild colors, caked in trichs, and a great mix of lemon/gas/rubber/fruit terps that I could huff alllll day. Similar to the other pheno I've run for a while (in the bg of pic 2), save for the coloring. Also found and flowered out a small/runty male plant out of the two seeds that gave me this one below, saved a bit of pollen to make F2's at some point. I'm really hoping there's a good male in the last 4-6 seeds I have of these. :biggrin:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72393&pictureid=1797305View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=72393&pictureid=1797306View Image
Gorgeous!

LouDog420

Mugenbao, glad to hear the issues sorted. Too bad you lost your girl, but always more seeds to be had...

Maybe even some midnight madness from the HOL?? ;)

hesh, very nice looking lady... Good luck with the rest of the pack. She looks like she needs to get knocked up, for sure :D

M

mugenbao

Mugenbao, glad to hear the issues sorted. Too bad you lost your girl, but always more seeds to be had...

Maybe even some midnight madness from the HOL?? ;)

hesh, very nice looking lady... Good luck with the rest of the pack. She looks like she needs to get knocked up, for sure :D
That is an excellent idea, actually. I've been sitting on those far too long, haven't I? Tempted to go soak a couple right now, now that you mention it (don't have space for more atm).

LouDog420

if you don't, I might know a guy ;)

Bad ass bertha, lost that mom while on hiatus... seemed fairly common from the testers. I'd say pop the whole pack and hope you find that girl again, and f2 to preserve...

One of the best plants I've come across, so some good stuff in that line.

Would be very happy to see them grown out and enjoyed. I think great breeding stock given quick maturity, density, and vigor with the winners, and a refined f2 could lead to some very nice outcrosses...

Would also gladly swap all sorts of goodies with f2s to come if space was an issue and you wanted to see them done ;)

good vibes bud

M

mugenbao

Been thinking...

I could run two now and continue to deal with the sort of perpetual multi-strain chaotic pain in the ass in very limited space I'm doing now, or...

Bad ass bertha, lost that mom while on hiatus... seemed fairly common from the testers. I'd say pop the whole pack and hope you find that girl again, and f2 to preserve...

... I could wait about six weeks and do a 12 plant open pollination of just Midnight Madness. Holy crap what a mess that would be, but I'm dreaming of all the seeds and the possibilities of future selections.

Or maybe spread the love and repay the kindness that has been shown to me.

Or even some combination of those things.

Decisions, decisions.

M

mugenbao

Speaking of HOL, though... I still run the Live Fire from time to time. I have enjoyed everything I've ever gotten from them, and still have about a half dozen packets of Live Fire pollen left that I've been wanting to use lately.

I've got four of Verdant Green's Bubba Kush S1 in flower right now, and am planning on hitting a branch or two of each with some pollen next week.

Currently planning Live Fire, Casey Jones x Sour Bubble, Carolina Blue x DigiBerry, and Haze x Skunk #1 as the pollen donors as I've got several packets of each available.

Should be interesting to see what comes from those, I think :)

N

NBE One !

picture.php

Hi Loudog420 , Pips Truecannabliss CaseyJones and the stoke bscheese,far right .The Other is called aliendawg

Last edited:

LouDog420

NBE, nice to see true's casey still rocking! Thanks for sharing.

Mugs, VG's bubbas put out some good stuff. If you have four to choose from, should get something pretty nice. Great for outcrosses imo, but really tough to get them to yield unless giving ample root space and light... Even then, not yielders, but great headstash, and great outcrossing material, imo

Best of luck with your projects ;)

Casey talk made me go searching... Gotta warm back up to the casey, so figured would start slow with a mystery pack... Mislabeled beans, mother is my old casey colored cut, fathers could be a few things:

rotten banana from house of love
diesel fire from cannaventure
ecsdurban from dr. poison

Don't really have the space or the time, but nostalgia is powerful :D

38196619356_85f78de666_b.jpg

37578191204_66458382fd_b.jpg

26513523169_e5cdfb8a09_b.jpg

Last edited:

LouDog420

Mugs if you're reading, hopefully you come back to us one day, I know we all have to disappear from time to time, but hope all is good in your parts my friend.
tiphat.gif

Casey X quick test run from seed. Maternal is casey jones colored cut, paternal is rotten banana from house of love, ecsdurban from dr. poison, or diesel fire from cannaventure... They grow up so fast!

37668116165_9495c7544d_b.jpg

38796292681_69c580c392_b.jpg

38252686385_2cc2aeb45c_b.jpg

Good vibes all

antheis

Veteran
Mugs if you're reading, hopefully you come back to us one day, I know we all have to disappear from time to time, but hope all is good in your parts my friend.

Good vibes all

mugs! hope you're ok whatever is going on.

lou - i know what you mean about nostalgia. i found an old keychain of magus genetic seeds (first seeds i ever bought) just might pop them even though i have no room.

Latest posts

Latest posts