What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Casey Jones Grow Along

kro-magnon

Veteran
@Homebrewer, good job on this plant, the bud looks absolutely gorgeous. What kind of smell she has? I've never tried CJ but I really like the style of the buds from this cross.

Homebrewer

Veteran
@Homebrewer, good job on this plant, the bud looks absolutely gorgeous. What kind of smell she has? I've never tried CJ but I really like the style of the buds from this cross.

Thanks for the kind words! The dominant smell at harvest is a sweet musky scent, kind of like an old man's cologne (but in a good way). In the background there is a berry scent, blueberry or something. So basically sweet, berry, and musky, not in that order. Her aroma strength is way above average. I'm an aroma guy and I like fragrant plants. She's one of the most fragrant plants in my garden.

kro-magnon

Veteran
I enjoy strong smelling plants as well even if it means more risk for me being in a country where cannabis is still totally illegal. I like when my carbon filter is almost useless to restrain smells from my tents.
It's a surprise to read this odor profile for CJ because on a few seeds selling websites they were described as rancid ad meaty smelling I believe. I certainly prefer the terp profile you're describing.

Homebrewer

Veteran
I enjoy strong smelling plants as well even if it means more risk for me being in a country where cannabis is still totally illegal. I like when my carbon filter is almost useless to restrain smells from my tents.
It's a surprise to read this odor profile for CJ because on a few seeds selling websites they were described as rancid ad meaty smelling I believe. I certainly prefer the terp profile you're describing.

It was quite some time ago but this plant came from a freebie pack from House of Love seed Co. I believe the seed pack said 'mostly sativa' but she was the one-off of the group. I don't remember what the others smelled like (citrus and spice maybe?) but they certainly were more uniform and sativa leaning. The one that I kept is heavier, indica-dominant smoke with almost a racy quality that kicks in after like 2 hours. She's not my type of smoke but she's tops in my garden in terms of friend feedback.

LouDog420

Bumpin' the thread cause I'm hankering to pop some pure casey ;)

Homebrewer, lovely as always. Think HOL was from old pink's f2 line which festivus crossed for the f3s released under HOL.

I'm thinking of popping my bx/ix line: my old colored cut crossed with a casey f2... Restoration/preservation project for casey

If some of that pollen happened to find its way to your girl homebrewer, that would be swell... ;)

Anyone else out there have verifiable and pure casey??

Good vibes all

picture.php

Beaucephus

Nothing pure ld. Been going through quite a few x with sb a generous person gifted me along with sfv x chem x ecsd. Lovely phenos in both. Just came across some 4sd x casey j i made, thought i gave em all away.

LouDog420

Got 2 packs of the 4sd casey cross in the vault... Assuming I know who this is, in which case, what's up buddy ;) I'm running the susq chem still, found a nice diesel leaning pheno I've held onto...

Lots of outcrosses over here also, will search through those in later rounds. First pop is for that pure casey (bx/ix gen). I have ~100 f2s also, but those are less stable and an open pollination instead of my selection I'll save for backup after seeing what comes out of this bx/ix generation.

Good vibes bud

Beaucephus

I’m not he, but he’s a good friend.
We have spoken a few times in pm before. I’m cracking some beans from mt hood hucklebery i hit with blue dream( santa cruz) x fake gmo cut pollen. I hated trimming the bd! The mt hh yielded very nice too but flowers lost huckleberry nose n go perfume after couple weeks dry. Peace

LouDog420

Got ya, good vibes bud, nice to speak with you again.

So, the casey crew dunked about 40 bx1/ix... They're pushing 8 years old so I'm hoping for a strong 25 plants which will then be open pollinated after removing anything with intersex tendencies.

Hoping that stock along with bringing some casey cuts into the mix should provide a fairly representative and diverse inbred line which can be supplemented with another 100 casey f2s if needed...

It's been too long without casey, time to bring her back ;)

gmanwho

Veteran
it will be some time, but i have casey jones f2's or s1's in my fridge. from multiple phenos i found through the original seed pack. i had 9 females an 2 males from that seedbay pack.

the plan is to start the 30 or so seeds i have thru embryo rescue. then work them an see what i find then make.

i have wanted to do this project or 4-5 years now. but i know that every single seed will count and with the seeds being old i waited. i reframed from starting any of these seeds, untill i know i can properly start them.

i found a small lab that offered tissue culture classes. i took the class a few weeks back an embryo rescue was one of my main topics i pushed some with the teacher. after all tc an embryo rescue go hand in hand

i am a few weeks out from the lab build. i have already been purchasing equipment. i have a 10x12 walk in cooler that i am turning into a lab.

when the time comes i will start a thread if or when they pop. if anyone wishs to combine resources send me a pm.

bwell...

LouDog420

Combining resources is what the grow along is all about, absolutely. Embryo tech sounds interesting. I default to sandpaper, water, paper towels and cross my fingers and pray these days (maybe a touch of h2o2).

But the f2 talk resulted in another 20 or so f2s taking a bath, they'll be joining the bx/ix gen. Hoping we can end up with 20+ females for some selections.

Good vibes casey lovers

gmanwho

Veteran
hell ya loudog!! Awesome to see the new life.

gotta ask. whats your phenotype focus going to be on reworking the line? I understand you have only what the seeds give you at this point, so you work with what you got.

just curious thats all; as i think i remember seeing 3 variations from that seed pack? trainwreck , larger diesel style, then some thai. the diesel being the dominant.

shit i miss my trainwreck leaner......... a photo or 2 of her. for old time sake.

picture.php

picture.php

LouDog420

Lovely pic gman! That's a nice lady there ;)

My f2s were originally an open pollination from an original head pack. One of the last drops around 2009/2010 including something like 9 females and 4 males (if I remember correctly). The f2s should have a wide array of phenos, but I only have 9 f2s up and going (still have ~75 beans in the vault).

My bx1, isn't really a bx1. It's a cj f1 x cj f2, but easier to call it a bx1 as I'm not sure how else to write it, but it's really an incross of pure casey. My selected cut from the original pack was what I called my colored cut and was used on the maternal side of this cross. She didn't yield like yours but had a sour/tw funk and turned very pretty colors, and almost black under cold temps. She'd throw single nanners if left for too long or under high temp stress. Done in 65 days, super floppy. I crossed her to a strong and high yielding cj f2 male.

If I had my way, I'd find a girl with all the terps and colors of my original cut with a slightly better yield.

Here she is:
picture.php

Last edited:

gmanwho

Veteran
loudog, shes a looker for sure.

looking forward to this project. now i just gotta find consistent help around here. tending to the day to day maintenance around here, working another on call job, im always set behind on projects. i wanted this lab built a month ago... tough to find consistent help i can trust

highsteppa

Veteran
Cool project. I still have an original back. I gave them to a friend but he hasn’t popped them either. I’d consider passing them to someone if I could get the keeper cuts and some f2 or s1 seed

Latest posts

Latest posts