What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabutter In 7 Easy Steps!

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran
trshunt said:
I was planning on making some cannabutter but I had some questions about the material i should use. I have a friend who can get me an oz of stress for cheap. He describes it as being your typical brick: compressed, brown colored, and full of seeds. I have another friend who claims that he uses a 1/4 oz of quality bud to make excellent butter. I have a hard time believing that such little, no matter how great the quality, would make great butter.

Anyway back to my questions, does anyone have experience making budder with the brick type material? Do you guys have any suggestions about any changes I should make when cooking with this material - should i only use 1/2 lb of butter with an o of stress or will I be okay using the original instructions? Lastly, is it worth cooking with this type of bud or should I seek some higher quality stuff first?

If this is gonna be your first time making cannabutter use the Mursh/stress bud so if you burn it or mess it up you wont waste good money and pot ;)

Well let me start off by saying that using better tasting, smelling, and potent stuff makes for far better canna butter. Now if you dont care so much about anything but potency then stressbud/mexican can work if2 bowls or a Joint get you sufficiently stoned.

I prefer using a 1/4 of high grade bud. Yes make sure to remove all seeds. I would use a pound of butter if the brick buds has a decent high. If its just cheap crapy ish then go with less butter.

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
trshunt said:
I was planning on making some cannabutter but I had some questions about the material i should use. I have a friend who can get me an oz of stress for cheap. He describes it as being your typical brick: compressed, brown colored, and full of seeds. I have another friend who claims that he uses a 1/4 oz of quality bud to make excellent butter. I have a hard time believing that such little, no matter how great the quality, would make great butter.

Anyway back to my questions, does anyone have experience making budder with the brick type material? Do you guys have any suggestions about any changes I should make when cooking with this material - should i only use 1/2 lb of butter with an o of stress or will I be okay using the original instructions? Lastly, is it worth cooking with this type of bud or should I seek some higher quality stuff first?

Using my methods (filtering and concentrating it) you won't notice the difference.

Obv you have to use more stress than buds, but i always use low quality buds to save money and the butter is always STRONG and fine tasting :D:D

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
but I cant see mexican being compaired to the taste and quality of Cali-0 Any Kush or Sour diesel.

trshunt

Ya but that would cost way to much...
if i added more butter to a tray of edibles would it compare to quality buds or still way off?

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
trshunt said:
Ya but that would cost way to much...
if i added more butter to a tray of edibles would it compare to quality buds or still way off?

as i said: try my method, you won't notice the difference beetwen mexican brigs and quality buds.

trshunt

gramsci.antonio said:
as i said: try my method, you won't notice the difference beetwen mexican brigs and quality buds.

I tried to find where you posted your method but i can't seem to find it... do you think you could explain it to me?

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
trshunt said:
I tried to find where you posted your method but i can't seem to find it... do you think you could explain it to me?

sure dude:

hi guys i want just to place my little imput:

I've been cooking with cannabis for a while and i can assure you that this way not only you'll get the strongest butter, but also the best tastier.

First: Take a large saucepan a fill with water. Put it on fire.

When the water is hot (never boiling) pick a smaller saucepan and put it floating in the bigger pan. Place the butter and wait it melts, add the weed and keep this way for 10-15 minutes till the butter turn to a dark green.

Not putting the butter straight on on the saucepan on fire will prevent the butter to get too hot and fry, destroying part of the THC.

Take the small saucepan and put outside, with the weed still inside, for like 2 days, till it gets very hard.

This way the butter will absorb EVERYTHING from weed: thc, good taste, bad taste, crap...

Now take again the small saucepan and put in a bigger saucepan as in the first step. Add to the small sauce pan 5 parts of water each part of butter.

The more water you put the better the butter will results, but don't put too much or the butter won't have a solidification.

Wait ten minutes in the hot saucepan till the butter is mixed with the water and then put the water/butter in a jar filtering the weed with a mesh.

Now wait this butter to cool, maybe in a fridge, for 1 or 2 days.

You'll have the butter on the top, the water in the middle AND BE CAREFUL: there's resin on the bottom.

I haven't never had enough cannabutter to taste that resin, but maybe it's good. I dunno.

Anyhow i assure that not only this way you'll get stronger cannabutter, but also MORE TASTEFUL. It will tase VERY GOOD and not crappy.

TallP

I just followed this method for making butter. Unfortunately I had a very large pan, so I had to use a lot of water and it made i t so that my butter wouldn't solidify in the fridge. Although I was able to fish it all out and just made some dank oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

Ended up putting 2 oz of trim/popcorn (and the huge ball of kief after grinding it) into one stick of butter. Made 2 dozen cookies. So thats about 2 grams per cookies. Oh boy, can't wait to try one tomorrow. Edibles never really work on me. I took two from the club that are supposed to knock ya out and felt sorta good, but not a whole lot.

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
how long can i store cannabutter?

I've read in this thread that you can store it up to two weeks... but i can't eat all the butter in two weeks!!! If i make brownies will they last longer?

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
gramsci.antonio said:
how long can i store cannabutter?

I've read in this thread that you can store it up to two weeks... but i can't eat all the butter in two weeks!!! If i make brownies will they last longer?

nope in time they will go bad also. Best bet is to make brownies and freeze left over butter until next time.

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
glasspackedbowl said:
nope in time they will go bad also. Best bet is to make brownies and freeze left over butter until next time.

how long will it last? one week is too much?

i made butter the 9 evening... should i make brownies tomorrow or it yet gone bad?

B

British_Bulldog

Hi Antonio,

Butter lasts longer than a week or two in a fridge, but for more long term storage you can freeze it or make cakes/biscotti/'brownies' from it, and keep them airtight and out of direct sunlight - they'll last a long time then.

Ciao and enjoy the cannabutter :)

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
Today i found this little trick: I placed the water with the butter in a bottle of water, and i placed it in the fridge. Then when the butter solidificated i made an hole on the bottom so the water slowly poured out, without ruining the shape of the stick of butter.

Nice, isn't it?

Youareborg

Anyone else lose some of the butter somehow when lightly boiling it in the water?
I put two 4 oz sticks in, and weighed it when I was done and only had 6.5 oz. I then tried "cleaning" it up a bit by boiling the butter in water again for a short period of time, this time I weighed it and only had like 5.5 oz.
Perhaps it's some water content in the butter that is being lost?

Am I boiling it for too long? I've been doing it for 4 hours.
Where is my butter going?

Latest posts

Latest posts