What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis, the effect from increasing photo-period by only 15 or 30 min.

Miraculous Meds

Let's discuss this, Please
I don't want to muck up the other threads.
But this is Ground breaking news for me.
shag:tiphat:

Have u had the chance to experiment with this yet shaggy?

Id love to hear more real world experiences of physical changes due to altering the photoperiod, one way or the other.

Has anybody tried adding an hour of light to the flowering cycle the last two weeks?

It is supposed to increase density, yield, and also length of days flowering by a few. Anybody?

Yield and length of flower days seem easy enough to measure. But im not sure how to measure for increased bud density, besides the old feel it and guess comparing to past development.

Riddleme

Beta, since it was me that confirmed the DJ Short notion, I'll apologize for all these pages of banter and say it was my fault. I read your thread on lights and your right there is a lot of math lol and I've grown plants for over 40 years with the math being the measuring of things. The DJ Short stuff works, I spent a lot of time seeking the early amber gene and found it when I tweaked these things and now that I have the sweet spot dialed in I have seen it show in several strains. While it may be true that the math don't jive with this notion, it is very true that the tweaks work !!!

and as for me being a noob on this forum and posting like I know shit, well I have over 11,000 post about MJ on the web (several forums not just one) and I'm currently workin on my 2nd book about growing so yeah, I kinda know a few things

mr. gt

Have u had the chance to experiment with this yet shaggy?

Id love to hear more real world experiences of physical changes due to altering the photoperiod, one way or the other.

Has anybody tried adding an hour of light to the flowering cycle the last two weeks?

It is supposed to increase density, yield, and also length of days flowering by a few. Anybody?

Yield and length of flower days seem easy enough to measure. But im not sure how to measure for increased bud density, besides the old feel it and guess comparing to past development.

I was reading about this a while ago. It is a long read but definitely worth it!

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9825376/a-trip-hempfest-pioneering-cannabis-breeder-dj-short
Dj Short- The willy wonka of pot" -- haha

"Short said, and slowed down his voice: "For your bud cycle: 11 hours on, 13 off. OK? What will happen first and foremost is that you will see phenotypic expressions that you will never see with the 12/12."

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=277480

~mr. gt

- Riddleme, didn't mean any offense to you, I've seen a lot of ignorance with a lot of our new members and it's been building up inside of me. It was a very open ended statement on my part.

Last edited:
Beta, since it was me that confirmed the DJ Short notion, I'll apologize for all these pages of banter and say it was my fault. I read your thread on lights and your right there is a lot of math lol and I've grown plants for over 40 years with the math being the measuring of things. The DJ Short stuff works, I spent a lot of time seeking the early amber gene and found it when I tweaked these things and now that I have the sweet spot dialed in I have seen it show in several strains. While it may be true that the math don't jive with this notion, it is very true that the tweaks work !!!
Thanks, and no problems, you've been great interact with. It's very clear you are knowledgeable and want to discuss things honesty. And it's clear you speak from experience, myself, I've been growing for over 20 years or so, so still a pup compared to you! :)

Myself and my main colleague have been working with Cannabis, carrying out research (privately) for some years now. I hope we get to the day that science on Cannabis is as good as science on other plants (right now it's often intentionally sub-par). And the day when we can use our real names here, instead of this nickname (but right now our institutions would not be happy with that).

And I agree with you he's a good breeders, and in terms of breeding I don't disagree about effect from transgenerational epigenetic inheritance. And I also agree that photoperiod, irradiacne, DLI, nutrition, irradiance spectrum, etc., affect phenoype expression (but not angle of incidence). But what is actually causing the effects, and the effects they have, are open questions that need better answers.

and as for me being a noob on this forum and posting like I know shit, well I have over 11,000 post about MJ on the web (several forums not just one) and I'm currently workin on my 2nd book about growing so yeah, I kinda know a few things
Yea, that whole argument is always so facile. It's so silly I can't believe it's used so often.

I think my time in this thread in terms of posting in this thread is over, I have too many groupies now that want to attack me just to attack me (see comments from mr. gt as an example). But at least a few of us that cared about the thread were able to discuss for a little while, that includes you.

Thanks, be well.

P.S. I want to PM you, get your 50 posts :)

Last edited:

mr.brunch

Veteran
I prefer veg 18/6 and flower at 13/11.
I have settled on this photoperiod Over the years for a few reasons, seems to keep a state of late summer rather than autumnal conditions and I find resin production to be better, maybe its just me, but I feel it works well.

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
DJ Short's observations are correct, but taken out of context when talking about sativa or indica traits. The shapes of the leaf can be controlled in this fashion with other plants as well.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i settled on 18/6 myself. i was doing the 12/1 but some plants didn't respond well. the more sativa plants started flowering my veg cab gets too cold in so much dark time and the seedlings refuse to grow. 18/6 is the best for me.

i flower 13/11 i notice that plants show sex on average in 1 week of flower versus the previous 2 weeks or so.

DrFever

Veteran
only thing i will play with is flowering cycle around 4th week i will switch from 12/12 to 11/ 13 5th 10/14 till chop more or less doing mother nature seasonal clock but little Faster
only thing i suggest is study your strain type and implement winds, temps , and so on

The angle of incidence has a huge impact in many ways, here is a simple example how:

insolation_latitude.gif

Another example is a lower angle will lead to increased light-absorption and higher photosynthetic light use efficiency. Of course that is only according to the WUR. The angle also has a big impact on the growth pattern and thus pheno type expression.

That is not angle of incidence on leaf surface. How many times do I have to make this very same point?

Radiation in our atmosphere is comprised of direct and diffuse photons, really, just think about that for a second and how it relates to the angleS of incidence on leaf surfaces. Then consider how leaves move throughout the day, and how that relates to angleS of indigence from direct and diffuse sun radiation...

You have no idea what you're writing about, and you've been a troll of mine since day one, even going so far to make fake account to try and troll me (which you failed at, terribly). Jesus, just give up already.

Even DJ's claims about "angles" were not about spectrum, and he was not writing about irradiance. He was writing about angle of incidence (and the only factor that matters is leaf surface angle incidence), and he was wrong, just like you are.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22angle+of+incidence%22
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sun+++radiation+++diffuse+++direct

Last edited:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Axial rotation of a plant leaf about the midrib is an important factor
which permits effective maximization or minimization of the interception
of direct solar radiation.

Solar radiation intercepted by the leaf is described as a function of
angles which specify the relative orientation of the leaf to the sun.

Duh, that's why there are so many plants.

Solar radiation decreases poleward due to increasing zenith angle
in both hemispheres. The zenith angle effects the amount of solar
radiation reaching the leaf.

That's why plants mature, no?

Miraculous Meds

I just got confirmation from an experienced grower on this site that extending the photoperiod the last two weeks by an hour or two increases yield, resin production, and density in their trials. Some strains experience possible negative traits such as fox tails.

I was already going to try it but now the 2nd confirmation has me excited.

Anybody else try extending the lights on hours the last couple weeks of flower?

Ive got some things going around day 35 and am willing to give this a go!

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I just got confirmation from an experienced grower on this site that extending the photoperiod the last two weeks by an hour or two increases yield, resin production, and density in their trials. Some strains experience possible negative traits such as fox tails.

I was already going to try it but now the 2nd confirmation has me excited.

Anybody else try extending the lights on hours the last couple weeks of flower?

Ive got some things going around day 35 and am willing to give this a go!

Extending gradual or all at once? What about perpetual
set ups? Foxtail happens with my sats anyway, where's
the harm in trying.

Cool beans.

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Dj's f13

I think light intensity plays a role. More light = more flowers. You can go from golf balls to pine cones ramping up the light intensity.

The 15 min difference could just be that you are giving plants more light?

I have seen clones make different flowers when the pot size or light intensity are different.

Miraculous Meds

Extending gradual or all at once? What about perpetual
set ups? Foxtail happens with my sats anyway, where's
the harm in trying.

Cool beans.

All at once. Im going to estimate the 14 days before harvest date and change the photoperiod.

Perpetual still, just different rooms, for different cycles. So the lights run independently from the other rooms.

U will never know if u don't try, so why not. lol I have some respected, and experienced growers saying that it is effective, so its not like im going out on a limb risking much.

DrFever

Veteran
All at once. Im going to estimate the 14 days before harvest date and change the photoperiod.

Perpetual still, just different rooms, for different cycles. So the lights run independently from the other rooms.

U will never know if u don't try, so why not. lol I have some respected, and experienced growers saying that it is effective, so its not like im going out on a limb risking much.

Are you talking about adding more hrs in flowering stage ???? if so idunno man, would it not possibly stress or trigger plants hormones back into veg cycle ??? literally stop growing and reverse itself
being cannabis plants are referred to long night or short day plants i wouldn't mess with mother natures clock if anything lowering the cycle seems to be the way to go and has been for millions of years in the plant world as fall comes days get shorter and as springs comes days get longer you want resin production i think you need to look into running some uv lighting anything that starts to harm the plant its defenses will counter it thus giving you more resin as a protective shield

Miraculous Meds

Are you talking about adding more hrs in flowering stage ???? if so idunno man, would it not possibly stress or trigger plants hormones back into veg cycle ??? literally stop growing and reverse itself
being cannabis plants are referred to long night or short day plants i wouldn't mess with mother natures clock if anything lowering the cycle seems to be the way to go and has been for millions of years in the plant world as fall comes days get shorter and as springs comes days get longer you want resin production i think you need to look into running some uv lighting anything that starts to harm the plant its defenses will counter it thus giving you more resin as a protective shield

Im just talking about 13 hours on and 11 hours off the last two weeks. that's plenty of off time to keep flower hormones pumping.

I know of a well respected breeder, and a well respected grower that have used this technique with success, so I don't think I will run into anything drastic as far as problems.

Latest posts

Latest posts