What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Act

Egzoset

Salutations,

Here's Trudeau's "légalization" explained in pictures, for those who require it:

Snow_White_Trudeau_Hunchback_of_Notre-_Dame_300x300.gif

[ s1.postimg.org/6f5xo4oajz/Snow_White_Trudeau_Hunchback_of_Notre-_Dame_300x300.gif ]

And no, i'm not for sale nor do i make a dime on it (e.g. Egzoset is NOT on any political payroll already)...

Good day, have fun!! :tiphat:

clearheaded

the strange thing to me is if it wont please rec users then how on earth is it suppost to do ANY of whats its suppost to do. ie get rid of black market which then keeps it out of childrens hands...

people go to gov store buy crappy weed a few times that have not smoked since 60s. realize its bad and then purchase from black market which will be cheaper untaxed and likely much much better... ie the gov will actually increase black markets market. just a possibility. gov then spends MORE money on enforcement to try and get rid of it which was the 3rd reason for legalization....

To me I just dont see a huge silver lining other then more people will have access and increased normality of cannabis, and just a whole lot of wasted money!

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I dont see any ball dropping, no more than it has in the past. Its been illegal to have any amount growing for as long as I've been alive. If anything, they will turn even more blind eye than they did before.

Gmack

https://globalnews.ca/news/3836502/ontario-marijuana-legislation/

Judging by Ontario's proposed action, they plan to rely on enforcement.

Laughing my balls off at anyone who thought this wouldn't happen. Ya'll really thought they were going to carve a space out for us. Craft cannabis? Right.

Just wait until the real ball drops re: the result of growing over 4 plants.
The new dui regulations are the real concern as now all regular users will be legally impaired at all times. How many lives will be forever alerted because of this? We're way better off right now. We were better off with Harper is pm. And that's saying a lot.

Does anyone else get the sense, that depending on where you are in Canada and where in your province you live, this may all be a non-event. I think that enforcement after legalization will mirror enforcement levels leading up to legalization. Some parts of Canada already have more of an appetite for spending tax dollars on enforcement than others. Different municipalities will look at the costs and potential gains and go from there. And there will be a crackdown on dispensaries to be certain, but perhaps not applied equally across Canada. I imagine that will result in a shift to online dispensaries. Why pay the overhead cost of a retail space anyways? It will be a throw back to the days of meeting the guy to do the thing.

And Mikell is completely right about those who thought there would be a place set aside for craft cannabis. If you thought that was going to happen you were/are delusional.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hohohaha

Up to 14 years for anything to do with illicit cannabis. In Ontario.

That's a good point Johnny. I think there will be regional discrepancies. Can't see too many judges in BC spending much time nailing growers to the wall.

Now if they make it a federal issue, that's a whole new bag of cats.

I'm no expert, but I think judges have some leeway in how they interpret a law. And more so how they choose to enforce it, ie. sentencing. There will be parts of Canada with more conservative judges who will try to make an example of someone. As Mikell said, here in B.C. I can't see that happening, especially for a relatively minor infraction in terms of going over plant count. So the black market will more or less continue as is with the most cannabis being grown in areas with the least enforcement and most lenient sentences and shipped out of province. Pretty much what is happening with in America with a ton of product from legal states going to, let's call them red states.

Reading this yesterday was also interesting. https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ts-target-billboard-ads-for-weedmaps-app.html
I'm sure the negative nellies will try and stall the process to make sure the advertising laws are just right. I drive by giant billboards advertising Cannabis related things where I live so this is totally normalized, how is it for people in other parts of Canada?

Gmack

14 year MAXIMUM not minimum sentences. So yes judges will still have total discretion on how to sentence peole convicted of any of the new criminal code violations

Gmack

Not sure why Snoop wants name on that shit. Kinda bad for him. I think the Martha show will be better off for him

It's just branding. The advertising regs for this whole new business sector are still unclear. canopy just struck a deal with him hoping it can utilize his name brand sometime in the future. Snoop is unlikely to ever smoke their bud but give him a dump truck filled with cash and sure he'll shill their shwag. Same thing with the trailer park boys and organigram. Money talks.

I read an article today that states Saskatchewan may potentially lean to a private model for cannabis sales. nothing set in stone but that's kind of promising. who knows what will come with the final decision but heres what I read from the cbc website;

Saskatchewan's Justice Minister is learning towards a private distribution model when it comes to regulating the sale of cannabis in the province.
"I think the direction would be that we do not want to be in the ownership or marketing, we want to be a responsible ensuring that there's a regulatory scheme in place," Don Morgan said when asked about the distribution of cannabis on Thursday.
"We want to make sure it's a competent, well-run, regulatory scheme, but we don't want to own it, market it or warehouse it."

Morgan's response comes the same day a group of public policy experts released a report recommending pot be sold through a limited number of private retailers licensed and regulated by the province.
Provinces and territories across Canada are coming up with plans on how to regulate the sale and distribution of cannabis once it's legalized in 2018.

Ontario, for example, has released a plan for pot to be sold through its provincially-operated liquor stores.
The Saskatchewan government has yet to table its own cannabis legislation.
A spokesperson for the ministry says the province will release the findings from an online survey about cannabis by the end of the year.

Gmack

Quebec not allowing home grows. New Brunswick treating it the same as Fire arms. Fuck you east coasters are dealing with a special level of stupid from your respective governments