What's new

Cannabinoid profiles of your strains - home kit??

G

Bingo. alas m8 its all happening in my head too. Some strains do not have a noticable tolerance.. Others have a wickid one like c99.. i just assumed it was from being inbred to death.. since i can smoke Apollo11 and have a tolerance to c99 but not ZamalDestroyer x Parvati.

Brownpants

Nifty said:
I'm just wondering about what the reason is that high altitude plants develop more THC.

Maybe the high altitude environment does not favour oxidation of THC to CBN as much as the sea-level, equatorial environment. Differences in temp, O2, humidity, etc... all play a role in the degradation of THC. Higher THC levels might be seen because of a slower breakdown to CBN.

It might have nothing to do with UV levels...Or maybe it does?

-BP-

T

THCV

Research has finally confirmed what Sam Skunkman claimed for years based on personal experience. The British Journal of Pharmacology just came out with 2 studies, one about THCV and one about CBD .

Ends up that THCV is a THC antagonist, which means it fills/blocks the CB receptor sites, but has no particular endocannabinoid systemic impact aside from preventing the effects of THC (or any other cannabinoid). CBD is actually an inverse agonist, which means it also fills receptor sites, thereby blocking THC from entering, but then CBD actually has a systemic effect as well that is the opposite of THC and other agonists. From Wiki:

"In pharmacology, an inverse agonist is an agent which binds to the same receptor binding-site as an agonist for that receptor but exerts the opposite pharmacological effect."

We can infer from this that both THCV and CBD are best left out of the mix if you want the maximal high and other positive effects of pot. Of course, CBD is a powerful anti-cancer agent too, so there are medical arguments for keeping it in the mix. But for a good high, it would seem that high THC and low CBD/THCV is the way to go--THCV and CBD will just attenuate the impact of THC (hence, Sam's feeling that CBD/THC strains are for "girlymen" who can't handle the full THC high.)

It's so great to see real research finally coming out!

Last edited:

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
"CBD/THC strains are for "girlymen" who can't handle the full THC high." :D now that is well said lmao, but true.

Brownpants

THCV - Thanks for posting the information and links to the research papers on THCv and CBD. Interesting stuff!

guineapig

Veteran
if the uvb was used in conjunction with natural light in a greenhouse, then perhaps the natural light provided all the uvb necessary for altering the cannabinoid profile and the artificial uvb was thus redundant......hopefully i am reading Sam's experiment correctly, not that i am criticizing someone who i very much admire as one of the great heroes of modern Cannabis breeding......would a better experiment be an (indoor HPS) vs. (indoor HPS+UVB) so as to eliminate the natural source of uvb light?

Here is what Melchoulam has done in vitro (in the laboratory):

"Mechoulam has converted CBD acid to THC acids by exposing a solution of CBD acid in n-hexane to ultraviolet light of 235-285 nm for up to 48 hours. This reaction uses atmospheric oxygen molecules and is irreversible; however, the yield of the conversion is only about 15% THC acid, and some of the products formed in the laboratory do not occur in living specimens..."

"Total psychoactivity is attributed to the ratios of the primary cannabinoids of CBC, CBD, THC and CBN; the ratios of methyl, propyl, and pentyl homologs of these cannabinoids; and the isomeric variations of each of these cannabinoids. Myriad subtle combinations are sure to exist. Also, terpenoid and other aromatic compounds might suppress or potentiate the effects of THCs...." (RCC's MJ Botany, p. 133)

So, my question is, if that UVB reaction worked in the laboratory, why does it not work in vivo (in nature)? Sure, it was only 15% THC, but still that seems significant to me.....but Sam found no difference in his experiments which makes me think that UVB does not play a significant role whatsoever.....

Also, that sentence about the aromatic compounds potentiating the effects of THCs always makes me think about the "Sour Diesel" strains in which the THC high seems to be stronger and last longer than other strains.....maybe the lemony-smelling, greasy-in-appearance characteristics of the Sour Diesel is just what this sentence refers to....maybe the Sour Diesels have that terpenoid compound that potentiates THC?

Good thread!!! I'm gonna read it again....

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Rgd

Veteran
% means little.
We all have a cannabis profiler in our brain.
That is the only one that can really tell whats up.
You carry your home profiler kit with you at all times.
Only the brain knows.

cyoheights

i've read on many that have experimented with uvb application in order to increase potency of the high. one guy somewhere in these forums said he ran three sets of applications. 1 starting at the onset of flowering where he said that the herb responded as if there were no uvb at all. the third in late flowering that said that he reported as not having any significant amount of increase. and the 2 he said had the most favorable results being with application started somewhere in the middle of the flowering onset with him having most favorable results, he said he had noticable increase in potency with this.

other scorces state that when uvb is applied that the high becomes more lathargic (overripe IMO) effect with the user reporting effects of feeling more drugged and sleepy for longer periods of time than when done without. wich is sorta is the opposite of what i persoally prefer.

i've also read a book, very elementary book (again IMHO) called cannibis cultivation by Mel Thomas, that stated that it should be applied 30min of the light cycle with 10 min intervals. not sure of the effect.

now as to how long, and at what time to apply, i sadly have no clue because comming from the tropics i have some outdoor experience but no indoor as i am just starting my indoor adventure, but i am very willing to experiment with it. i do think uvb would have an effect as we all know that cannabinoids and potency are a direct result of genetical resonse to enviromental conditions, but i have not seen as much experimentation done in this category as i would have like to seen.

if someone ( or a couple:) ) of you more experience growers with the means to run multiple variables of uvb on clones of the same plant in the same time frame to speed up the process of aquired knowlege and post your results mayb here or in the breeders lab it would be greatly appreciated to know if i or others should pursue as i can only do one experiment with all variables being the same other than uvb at a time until i aquire the money to do so. increase potency and duration along with what gives us certain highs is what were all really after isn't it? so why not experiment? i know i continually did and always will be tweakin some shit in every grow

or mayb someone including myself can use a desert blend of uva and uvb florecent bulbs. ppl who use cmh notice a significant increase in potency with same clones rather than just the 2700k light spectrum bulb. wich i am guessing is because of such a broad range of uv exposure or mayb other light frequencies but i'd surely like to know for sure.

Last edited: