What's new

Canna Boost V Molasses - side by side comparison.

BigPhil

Veteran
thats ok haze lady ill keep poping in to have a look, i might not have much to add tho lol except the odd wow and mmmm lol

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Hazy Lady, are you saying "the C's - Molasses plants" are only being given Molasses in their water with no further nutrients?
I am finding the landrace strains I'm working do well on just Molasses. I have added a diluted nute and they really took a tumble and were weeping. Now I just use the Molasses and all plants seem fine.

Nice work Hazy Lady! I've been looking for some tests using Boost to see if it's worth the $$$.
I'm wondering why you chose molasses? It is my understanding that boost is not a carbohydrate (like Sweet or Hum. Honey) but is supposed to open the veins in the leaf to further facilitate nutrient uptake....kinda like main lining, i suppose.
Anyway...great work, and i am very interested to hear the results through weight and taste. My hunch is the molasses ones should have a 'better' taste, and the boost a higher yield, but that's why we do tests, right?

thanks for the contribution!

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Fellas

Thanks Fellas

FaderVader
All great work !_! thanks for sharing
Thank-you for dropping in :)

thats ok haze lady ill keep poping in to have a look, i might not have much to add tho lol except the odd wow and mmmm lol

Mmmm, I don't know if the odd wow is enough!, couldn't you do a bit of reading during your work breaks Phil?, :nanana: you know your welcome either way bud :)

Hazy Lady, are you saying "the C's - Molasses plants" are only being given Molasses in their water with no further nutrients?
I am finding the landrace strains I'm working do well on just Molasses. I have added a diluted nute and they really took a tumble and were weeping. Now I just use the Molasses and all plants seem fine.

Hiya Mr Owl, No, not just Molasses, I should maybe re-cap here to save anyone going back to check.
All 8 plants receive Canna Coco A&B (25 to 30ml*), Liquid seaweed (20 to 25ml*) PK 13/14 (5 to 15ml*) Epsom salts (5g/1 teaspoon)
into 10 ltres water. *depending which weeks we are in.
A plants receive only this basic nutrient mix
B plants receive this plus Boost @ 15 ml
C plants the same basic feed plus Molasses @ 15g/1 tablespoon
D plants the same basic feed plus Both Boost AND Molasses.
Don't forget I am in 100% coir not soil/compost so I don't think they could survive a full bloom on Molasses alone, be good to test though!, maybe I will see how 1 cut does in the veg stage and if it gets through I will try and flower it using the same Molasses alone?.

would you say all plants are getting equal light exposure?
thanks

Hello onegreenday :wave:, Yes I think it is as close to equal as possible, these same 8 plants share the space directly under the lamp, at the start of every 3rd day I rotate them to ensure it really is fair. No matter how you do it 4 are more 'equal' than the others by a very very small amount, the only way I could get all 8 into the exact light without rotating would be pot to pot to pot and run the risk of mold while losing light penetration so it seems a good way of keeping things square, thanks for dropping in :)

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why Molasses, mmmmm this old chestnut

Why Molasses, mmmmm this old chestnut

Nice work Hazy Lady! I've been looking for some tests using Boost to see if it's worth the $$$.
I'm wondering why you chose molasses? It is my understanding that boost is not a carbohydrate (like Sweet or Hum. Honey) but is supposed to open the veins in the leaf to further facilitate nutrient uptake....kinda like main lining, i suppose.
Anyway...great work, and i am very interested to hear the results through weight and taste. My hunch is the molasses ones should have a 'better' taste, and the boost a higher yield, but that's why we do tests, right?

thanks for the contribution!

Hiya, missed you as I posted, If you pop back to page 16 you'll see a few (of many) posts on 'why Molasses?' You should check it out if you use sweetners /boosters, the guys /gals have posted some great information, but in short, I* used it as a booster and sweetener, not really as a nutrient before Boost was born, carried on using it WITH Boost and don't know if I need to!
* I am not alone in this, older growers seem to do this, *** I am old :), thanks for dropping in, don't be a stranger eh!

*mistress*

Veteran
do you intend to note the differences in the effect, w/in the group, of the final fruit; if any?

interested to see potential influences of diets on fruit of the plants.

nice scientific methods & neutral presentation...:yes:

enjoy your garden!

Thanks for the direction Hazy Lady...the ADD gets the best of me sometimes.
I can tell this a good discussion b/c it has generated more ?'s than answers.

If i recall correctly, you DO have a control, right? I thought you had 4 groups: +Boost, +Boost +Molasses, +Molasses, and +neither (control group)...correct?

Do you add O2 to your root zone at all?

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whatever is possible *mistress*

Whatever is possible *mistress*

do you intend to note the differences in the effect, w/in the group, of the final fruit; if any?

interested to see potential influences of diets on fruit of the plants.

nice scientific methods & neutral presentation...:yes:

enjoy your garden!

Hi *m*, I am yes, I would really love to get blind samples of all 4 buds out to people on the thread but we can't do that of course! it might have proved interesting had I submitted the who's who to a neutral party 1st so there was no shenanigans!
I will take as many pics in as many ways possible to compare the various results on the thread but up to now actually smoke testing I have enrolled my daughter and her fella, he is a lovely fella who I trust 100% with my daughters safety and his opinion on my buds is really welcomed- he will see this!, my daughter whilst having poor taste in men, (until this latest diamond of course) does have a discerning taste when it comes to MJ and should be useful for the comparisons. I have a girlfriend, another Haze grower, I think would be able to also join in this so that's 3, sorry 4 with the boyfriend!:wallbash:
If any of you guy's can think of ways you'd would like to see the finished product I am happy to accommodate of course.:1help:
Nothing that goes against the TOU, seriously!, I don't need want anyone in trouble, including myself.
On the smoke tests I will finish this completely when the buds are fully cured, I feel sure that this is where we could see (taste) the biggest differences in the buds, I do flush the he££ out of my girls and give them plenty of time to use up anything in the plant itself, I am thinking any changes good or bad should be as a direct result of the various diets and the residuals they leave behind? Thank's *mistress* :)

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Warning! Boost and Oxygen products

Warning! Boost and Oxygen products

Thanks for the direction Hazy Lady...the ADD gets the best of me sometimes.
I can tell this a good discussion b/c it has generated more ?'s than answers.

If i recall correctly, you DO have a control, right? I thought you had 4 groups: +Boost, +Boost +Molasses, +Molasses, and +neither (control group)...correct?

Do you add O2 to your root zone at all?

Hi SG :wave:
I do believe Boost does indeed boost flower production, however, whether the cost of Boost is worth the expense is another matter altogether!.

I do have a control for this test, Yes. The 'A' plants are the control. It goes like this

A - Canna Coco A&B, Liquid Seaweed, PK 13/14, and a little Epsom salts.
B - The above plus Canna Boost
C - Same as A plus Molasses
D - Same as A plus Canna Boost AND Molasses.
8 cuts from the same mum, 2 plants in each group.

No sweetie, you must NOT use any Oxygen products if you use Boost, they will not mix and cause your plants serious, possibly fatal problems. I am glad you asked that, good question, should help somebody.

EDIT, Sorry I thought you meant oxygen products SG, so my answer is still no, I don't use any extra o2. The advice about oxygen products and Boost still stand, do not mix them.

Thanks for that :)

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

i think he was asking if you have some kind of adition of oxygen in the rootzone. ?!? o2 refers to Oxygen in gas for. :D generally speaking - AIR :D

i think the boost is not suposed to be used with H202 products - like peroxide etc :D

peace

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think he was asking if you have some kind of adition of oxygen in the rootzone. ?!? o2 refers to Oxygen in gas for. :D generally speaking - AIR :D

i think the boost is not suposed to be used with H202 products - like peroxide etc :D

peace

Oh Dear!, I don't have a root-zone, I have roots in coir!, spot on Bones!, I did indeed think he meant Oxygen products:nanana:. Sorry SG, the answer is still NO though :wallbash:

Nice to see you and thank-you Mr B, I don't mind being corrected a bit

Things still 'to do', make effigy of bonecarver! :)

B

bonecarver_OG

dont see it as beeing corrected lady, you are correct in all ways :D rather i was helping this dude to get understood :D hehe

what is this effigy thing? im not english...

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You know I love you really

You know I love you really

dont see it as beeing corrected lady, you are correct in all ways :D rather i was helping this dude to get understood :D hehe

what is this effigy thing? im not english...

Hahaha, you know I would NEVER make one B

Def :- ef·fi·gy (f-j)
n. pl. ef·fi·gies
1. A crude figure or dummy representing a hated person or group.
2. A likeness or image, especially of a person.
Idiom:
in effigy
Symbolically, especially in the form of an effigy: The deposed dictator was burned in effigy by the crowd.

Insert pins here! :hotbounce :D
itp_voodoobuddy_giz.flv.jpg

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Side by side by side by side x 2

Side by side by side by side x 2

In the same order that the plants go, so A & B in pic 1 and C & D in pic 2

I started making a little film of these, timelapse of a sort, when I have 8 or 9 of each it should show you them grow, all set to some reggae track, should be splendid. :D
Side%20by%20Side%202.jpg

A%20timelapse.jpg

You may notice a slight omission?, I didn't do the first D plants pic, I think it was because they were added last to the test, the 3rd B pic ( 1st pic bottom set) was tied up from moving upstairs for pics, I forgot to undo it, and finally, another you'll see one has the plants the wrong way round, this was before I put stickers all over my kitchen floor and the pots, it wont happen again.

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know at first glance the A (top row, first pics) plants look a lot larger, however it is only true of one cola, the left hand plant should have grown 3 or 4 main stems as the others did, it actually grew one large and two very much smaller than the rest, if you ignore that one stalk and look at the rest you'll see what I mean.
This does mess things up slightly but that's one of the reasons I used 2 in each group. It's twin is much of a muchness to the rest so it's not too bad but it does throw you out if you go off that one stem alone. Pics from day 49 in a couple of days as usual, thanks everyone for dropping by this week :)

PlayaPlaya

Sweet, I like this comparison a LOT!
Anxious to see the final verdict on which is better.

Ive always wondered if those "boosting" chems really make a noticeable difference.

Thanks for the notes Hazy Lady and the clarification bone. this experiment really has my mind racing with ?'s. I've always heard that sugars enhance taste, and i've done a controlled experiment in the past that confirmed that for me at least.

here's the current conundrum Hazy (or others)...
an increase in yield is a result of increased photosynthesis (duh), but sugar is a PRODUCT of photosynthesis, an input to respiration (as is O2...hence my last question). I realize you are doing this exp. b/c you believe that molasses is increasing your yields...do you have any ideas why/how? i'm not familiar with the molasses you are using...is there possibly something else in there that is contributing?

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's a sweet trip into bed you hop......

It's a sweet trip into bed you hop......

Sweet, I like this comparison a LOT!
Anxious to see the final verdict on which is better.

Ive always wondered if those "boosting" chems really make a noticeable difference.

Hi PP, thank-you very much, I hope this goes some way to answering you, i'm glad you're joining us! :woohoo:
:wave:welcome to ICMag btw.

Thanks for the notes Hazy Lady and the clarification bone. this experiment really has my mind racing with ?'s. I've always heard that sugars enhance taste, and i've done a controlled experiment in the past that confirmed that for me at least.

here's the current conundrum Hazy (or others)...
an increase in yield is a result of increased photosynthesis (duh), but sugar is a PRODUCT of photosynthesis, an input to respiration (as is O2...hence my last question). I realize you are doing this exp. b/c you believe that molasses is increasing your yields...do you have any ideas why/how? i'm not familiar with the molasses you are using...is there possibly something else in there that is contributing?

Hi SG :wave:, You're very welcome, we are lucky to have some great people full of knowledge like bonecarver, *mistress*, daihashi, nomad among others, they are contributing so much to this thread and so not much like the O2 Q can slip by.:D With their help I am starting to understand more and more.I think? I can speculate as to why Molasses works (and other sugar products, bonecarver uses one called Panella he swears by for instance)
I imagine giving the plant something essential it otherwise has to manufacture, would help in two ways, firstly topping up the plants stores so when all other conditions for fast growth are in place it can get right on it, and secondly, by the plant not having to produce all its own building blocks it can concentrate more effort on the actual 'cell dividing' process of growing, resulting in larger fruits/buds etc. Hows that sound?
Something I do have to work on is the amount of Molasses needed for any increase, and indeed how much is too much?, I used an amount similar to the amount of Boost in my side by side simply trying to keep all things equal, I know believe for a real increase maybe plants need 2 x the 15grammes per gallon I am using.
I have also realised the amount - 1 teaspoon per gallon most growers use is an American gallon 1 US Gallon = 3.78 lts, this is a little less than an English gallon of 4.54 lts, that needs to be adjusted for UK growers!
I am using plain blackstrap Molasses, it is unsulphured, organic cane Molasses the same as the one youll know, but just an English, actually Welsh product.
oops....i meant to mention that ALL the plants look beautiful!!

Thank-you, you're very kind, and thanks for the q's, keep 'em coming :)

Latest posts

Latest posts