What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cancel Culture

mowood3479

Veteran
the middle ground of what? you're putting words in my mouth. i never said communism is good or that i am a communist.
the middle ground that you aren’t advocating for a system that would end in the genocide of millions. That’s pretty cool

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i never said that a publisher taking a book off their shelf is cancel culture, that was always your straw man. all i said was that im not for banning books.

i still think there is a distinction between deciding where you will spend your money and having others tell you were you are not allowed to spend it.

this forum is not a virtual cannabis forum monopoly, that company can easily open their own forum and say what they like. cancel culture would be if we try and tell you you can't be a member here if you go there or buy there for example.

audiohi

Veteran
"Canceling Dr. Seuss isn't stupid. It's intentional. They're banning Dr. Seuss not because he was a racist, but precisely because he wasn't."
~Tucker Carlson

The rights new god seems to think the publishers of Seuss canceled and banned him. I figured the only reason you're speaking about it is because he made it a talking point.

It's not my straw man.

Cannavore

Veteran
the middle ground that you aren’t advocating for a system that would end in the genocide of millions. That’s pretty cool

i advocated for the middle ground for two elections cycles in a row now. bernie was the guy who was going to reform capitalism. it's now beyond clear to me that capitalism is beyond reformation or repair, nor will the system allow itself to be reformed, and it'll only get worse as the US continues to collapse into itself.

and no this isnt me advocating communism i don't understand why you keep persistently assuming so after i keep telling you otherwise lol.

Cannavore

Veteran
we dont have free markets or capitalism. we have some kind of crony capitalism mixed with facist type govenment and business connections growing at an exponetial rate.

Crony capitalism is capitalism. Its always been corny. We've never had free markets. The US has always had an ownership class who owns the government.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
when language is skillfully used to craft people's opinions, of course it is. the GOP issues weekly talking points memos to their politicians and media pundits so they all repeat the same false nonsense to their base of drones - "hurrr boycotts and canceling are not the same durrrr"

sounds like the same exact thing to me. i would love for you to show me proof of people "dragging down and beating speakers". hell, care to show me proof of anything you just said lmao?

what this really says is - when you think the cause is right, it's a boycott - and when you don't - it's cancel culture.

you're quite literally engaging in the "distinction without difference" logical fallacy

except that i google'd what she said, read it, and copied it over lol. another wannabe victim.

she mocked them. which is usually a sign that she views such group as a joke. it's boomer racism.

lmao and so you double down on the victim complex. reaffirming the statement Gina Carano said after you just said "you are spouting someone elses views on what she said".

yes. that's exactly what i think. there was no public push to do this. they did it on their own = not cancel culture. what it is on the other hand is a capitalist company creating outrage to deflect from the fact that every republican politician in the country is voting against stimulus and support for Americans, including their own voters.

i doubt it

you really haven't been paying attention the last 10 years or so it seems. just google cancelled speakers/people, it happens at universities and speaking venues all over the place. there is literally tons of footage around showing speeches being disrupted by a few shouty activists, stopping the full audience from listening. they have pressed fire alarms, they have basically acted like unruley children for countless events across the US. the fact that you don't notice it doesn't mean its not happening, it just means you probably agree with not letting certain people talk.

language is either correct, wrong, or both. calling my words right wing talking points is just a cheap shot way to not respond to the core of the argument im making.

as for your free will to spend or not being the same as following someone else's orders about where to spend your money, is just mind boggling. it shows me that logic has nothing to do with your arguments, its all about ideology and side, as with most in 2021 sadly.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Joey's just boycotting the media at our Southern border I guess......wonder why.I mean it's not a crisis or anything,if it were they would call in FEMA , obviously.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Crony capitalism is capitalism. Its always been corny. We've never had free markets. The US has always had an ownership class who owns the government.

thats true, but but as time passed it got worse and worse. there was a time when you had trust busters in government, now they are all bought and paid off by those same corporations and monopolies. they go into government to serve them selves and will do anything to raise enough money to stay there as long as possible.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you really haven't been paying attention the last 10 years or so it seems. just google cancelled speakers/people, it happens at universities and speaking venues all over the place. there is literally tons of footage around showing speeches being disrupted by a few shouty activists, stopping the full audience from listening. they have pressed fire alarms, they have basically acted like unruley children for countless events across the US. the fact that you don't notice it doesn't mean its not happening, it just means you probably agree with not letting certain people talk.

language is either correct, wrong, or both. calling my words right wing talking points is just a cheap shot way to not respond to the core of the argument im making.

as for your free will to spend or not being the same as following someone else's orders about where to spend your money, is just mind boggling. it shows me that logic has nothing to do with your arguments, its all about ideology and side, as with most in 2021 sadly.

Unintentional irony?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Unintentional irony?

after all this time you still don't get it do you? im not about sides, im about actions, policies. i don't stop criticizing US imperial wars for example when its my guy wearing the funny hat. in fact i don't have a guy in your rat race over there and the fact that you still think i care about sides makes me wonder about your comprehension skills i have hundreds of posts complaining about Trump and Bush before him, but i also point out the shit from the dems. if a dem does regime change war i don't just shut up about it and only complain when its a rep, thats the difference . or maybe you are just being intellectually dishonest? i don't know, as unlike you, i don't pretend to read minds and know whats in peoples thoughts. i refuse to let partisanship blind me to one side or the others warmongering and criminality etc.

BTW, do you also think it's the same thing, if YOU decide not to spend your money some where, or some one ELSE tells you, where you may not spend your money?

thats actually what this post you quoted is about you know?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
after all this time you still don't get it do you? im not about sides, ?

You are a moderator, who allows and supports this speakers corner forum being presented in a way that is clearly biased towards the far-right. THAT shows what side you are on. Actions speak louder than words. To claim that making a subject a 'sticky' doesn't promote it above others is to treat us like idiots
The only other explanation is that you are too scared to do what's right - to make this a fair and democratic place to discuss political issues.
VG

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
You are a moderator, who allows and supports this speakers corner forum being presented in a way that is clearly biased towards the far-right. THAT shows what side you are on. Actions speak louder than words. To claim that making a subject a 'sticky' doesn't promote it above others is to treat us like idiots
The only other explanation is that you are too scared to do what's right - to make this a fair and democratic place to discuss political issues.
VG

so basically allowing both sides to be heard, means biased to the far right? i see, interesting. it says more about your own bias then the sites supposed bias though. same with partial quotes :D

if you want twitter/facefook like information bubbles they are there waiting for you, here we let all sides speak.

funny how SOME people have special mind reading abilities. they claim to know better then you do yourself what you think about things, LMAO.....

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
after all this time you still don't get it do you? im not about sides, im about actions, policies. i don't stop criticizing US imperial wars for example when its my guy wearing the funny hat. in fact i don't have a guy in your rat race over there and the fact that you still think i care about sides makes me wonder about your comprehension skills i have hundreds of posts complaining about Trump and Bush before him, but i also point out the shit from the dems. if a dem does regime change war i don't just shut up about it and only complain when its a rep, thats the difference . or maybe you are just being intellectually dishonest? i don't know, as unlike you, i don't pretend to read minds and know whats in peoples thoughts. i refuse to let partisanship blind me to one side or the others warmongering and criminality etc.

BTW, do you also think it's the same thing, if YOU decide not to spend your money some where, or some one ELSE tells you, where you may not spend your money?

thats actually what this post you quoted is about you know?

All that from my little comment? Holy moly....can I get some of that herb?

Cannavore

Veteran

I dont notice it because it's not a problem. It's more outrage and propaganda by the right.

Oh noes poor lil ben Shapiro got banned from speaking at a couple of colleges! I really dont see the big deal here. People like Shapiro are provacateurs and bad faith actors they're not going to these places for any other reason than that. It's why people like Shapiro and Crowder and others all focus solely on "debates" with college kids. If they debated someone on their own level they'd get mollywhopped and their ideas would be tossed in the garbage.

meanwhile governments are making it illegal to criticize the police and Israel. Dont hear too much from the cancel culture warriors about that stuff, which is easily more harmful and dangerous then stopping some fash adjacent trash from speaking at a college.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
oh yes, pls tell me what im too scared to do to make this a fair and democratic place to discuss current events, politics religion etc? how much more then free speech can you ask for? how much fairer then letting everybody have their say in a civilized manner? we even have a selection of mods from both sides. so what action concrete am i too scared to take?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so basically allowing both sides to be heard, means biased to the far right? i see, interesting. it says more about your own bias then the sites supposed bias though. same with partial quotes :D

if you want twitter/facefook like information bubbles they are there waiting for you, here we let all sides speak.

funny how SOME people have special mind reading abilities. they claim to know better then you do yourself what you think about things, LMAO.....

Again you pretend to be neutral!
Allowing both sides to be heard = fine.
Stickying certain threads so as they are always at the top of a list = pushing an agenda.
The political threads that are stickied in speakers corner are:
A far-right antisemitic conspiracy theory
a right wing 'we are victims' subject (cancel culture)
and a thread about Black lives matter that has a title that looks like it is ridiculing that movement, although the first post is largely incoherent, it looks from the title like a thread that mocks the very serious and emotive issue.
In order for speakers corner to be a level playing field, there can be no right wing or left wing threads stickied.

Since raising this issue, i have had LOTS of feedback from people who either say that they feel distanced from and betrayed by icmag because of the political agenda being pushed (which is how i feel myself), or they tell me that they know people who have left the site in protest at the agenda.

Personally i think the discussion of politics at a weed site is terribly divisive and counter productive to the community.... but if it must be discussed, at least make it neutral rather than pushing one side or another which just alienates people. And to claim no-bias when it clearly is biased just adds insult to injury.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
oh yes, pls tell me what im too scared to do to make this a fair and democratic place to discuss current events, politics religion etc? how much more then free speech can you ask for? how much fairer then letting everybody have their say in a civilized manner? we even have a selection of mods from both sides. so what action concrete am i too scared to take?

Like i said, allowing certain political issues to be stickied and promoted above others IS NOT FREE SPEECH, -IT IS PUSHING THE AGENDA OF THOSE STICKIES !

Remember - i'm not asking for left wing bias, i'm just asking for neutrality and a level playing field.
Let the threads rise or sink on their own merits and popularity rather than stickying a certain agenda.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
I dont notice it because it's not a problem. It's more outrage and propaganda by the right.

Oh noes poor lil ben Shapiro got banned from speaking at a couple of colleges! I really dont see the big deal here. People like Shapiro are provacateurs and bad faith actors they're not going to these places for any other reason than that. It's why people like Shapiro and Crowder and others all focus solely on "debates" with college kids. If they debated someone on their own level they'd get mollywhopped and their ideas would be tossed in the garbage.

meanwhile governments are making it illegal to criticize the police and Israel. Dont hear too much from the cancel culture warriors about that stuff, which is easily more harmful and dangerous then stopping some fash adjacent trash from speaking at a college.

i was among the first on this website to rage against the loyalty to Israel contracts all US gov contractors have to take now, i was ragging against people saying bds is anti semetic, or being anti zionism is antisemitism. you can't accuse me of that particular hypocrisy.

but who do you think were the first people pulled off stage in the nazi time? it started with people talking in universities. so i do see a problem. its not freedom to stop people from listening to a lecture. just cause you don't like what the speaker is saying doesn't make it right to disrupt the event. people had paid to listen, and a small minority stopped them doing so. there is a principle involved. if you can do it to 1, it can be done to all. it always starts with people no one cares that about much.

as the old saying goes 1 for all, all for 1. either that or get taken down 1 by 1.

even some one like David Ike, now has a crew of dedicated cancel culture warriors dedicating their lives to stopping him talking. they launch smear campaigns on twitter against the venue renters and threaten, cajole, bribe, try anything to make them cancel the event.

you will understand, probably only once its Chomsky or his like getting cancelled.

funny how you always bring it to the individual, instead of focusing on the principle involved and the precedents that were created and will be used more and more widely till nothing outside the main stream will be permitted.

British government also making it illegal to protest. but yes it's bat shit crazy to have laws about not criticizing the police or Israeli policies. like i said they are changing the definition of words to make it a hate crime to speak against the illegal occupation of even the Golan Heights, or the war crimes Israel commits every time it attacks the Gaza strip. Trump gave them cart blanch, they destroyed more Palestinian homes and built more new settlements then ever. they now claim Jerusalem as their capital against international law and UN resolutions, with Trumps full support, they certainly shouldn't be protected from criticism for the actions they take as a nation, but yes, even that is being portrayed as antisemitism. anyway thats a whole other thread well worth discussing.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I agree that poisonous politics have dirtied the pot growing waters here. I am as guilty as anyone else, but at least I have come to grips with the reality of the commie takeover of gov't, and now believe they will come for conservatives (they already are, slapping sedition charges on people for exercising their free speech and assembly Constitutional rights), so I have shut up and am focusing on assuring I have dope. My relying on others to grow it, and the delivery system, wasn't sustainable. Plenty of places to argue politics, few places talking about growing dope.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- oh I think I know what the problem is - Verdant wants a 'sticky' - ok mate - what do you want stuck? - then you can 'push the agenda of your sticky' - if that you so wish - because I can't see anyone else pushing any agenda - maybe that's what we need - an agenda - lol