What's new

Can you still get the real California Orange?

dr.penthotal

Chasing the orange grapefruit rabbit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Agent orange proved to be a good oranged cross. Potent orange sweet delicious smell and an high that hits you in your skull from the potent father JTR. I fell in love with this. Now I have sowed a new round of C+ and Dutchman royal orange to compare and look for relatives for a orange potent variety.

forget any other orange strain like DP orange bud or calfornia orange...
my 2 eurocents
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the high to be bland and not stimulating as often mentioned. This clone was so hyped for the quality of the high, perhaps it was a let down for me. I traded Cali-O for Ghost OG and Katsu Bubba years ago, my friend loved the Cali-O, but wasn't a big fan of the OG or Bubba. I though OG was some of the most interesting and best quality high herb I've smoked.

I've tried a number of Cali-O hybrids and the best was Jackie-O from Nebu. He improved everything in this hybrid. Jackie-O smelled and tasted of Manderin orange, had large and very frosty calyxes, the yield was better and the high was stronger and cleaner. It was a worked hybrid using Cali-O clone and a female Jackflash f2. Nebu used selfing of the two female clones to stabilize the traits he was looking for, so Jackie-O was a femmed f1 hybrid.

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It would still be nice to know what kind of phenos she's been hiding. Somebody needs to make a bunch of S1's and 2's just to see what's in there. She might have something unexpected.

I grew Cannacopia's CO x DC. It had the most intense smelling orange/tangerine smell and taste you could imagine. It would fill the room and almost make your eyes water. It also had good potency and the exhaled smoke was like incense. I made hundreds of F2's and will never lose this strain even if nobody else seems to want to produce it still. It is my favorite flavour of every nug I've ever smoked.

The Seed Bank was the seed company offering California Orange back in those days cvk. That's fantastic to have genetics so close to the original, and a good male from your seed stock should hook up with whoever still holds the old Cali-O for seed production.

Dr. Penthotal, I believe "Orange Velvet" is a hybrid using aeric77 Cali-O.

mithra

Very good information Chimera, thanks. Of all the breeders who sell seeds on seedbay that have held these classic strains, you are the only one that is generous enough with your time and knowledge to consistently chime in. We all appreciate your generosity,and your skill as a breeder, thanks again.

C

cvk

The Seed Bank was the seed company offering California Orange back in those days cvk. That's fantastic to have genetics so close to the original, and a good male from your seed stock should hook up with whoever still holds the old Cali-O for seed production.

Thanks for refreshing my memory. Here is a photo of an f2 keeper

Edit: Cell phone pic, doesnt show the rainbow of colors this bud had.

Attachments

• cali orange f2.jpg
    cali orange f2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 8

bgb

The best orange bud ever hands down for me was orange crush from vic high.. man i miss that, i woud love to see the (orange crush x DSD) a dream cross just my 2cc..:artist:

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran

If you google search Ms Jills posts she says that Orange velvet was given to her second hand from a PNW grower who called it (OV) Melvin originally and grew it for over 20 years.

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rez's Orange Apollo was some of the best orange tasting herb ever released on the market....and she had a powerful, clear, 'up' sativa high that was very hard to beat....but alas, this was yet to become another project dumped by the wayside in the chase for more hype and bullsh*t...

For an extremely potent landrace strain that gives a consistently citrusy taste somewhere between oranges and mandarines, ACE's Golden Tiger is a legend in the making but she's a long term sativa mainly suited to outdoor growing in subtropic to tropical environments, however, I think she could make a great base for crossing other orange flavoured strains to.

billy

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
From what I remember back in the OG days was that is was decent pot. Nothing spectacular. Along the lines of a bubblegum or mango. Daytime buzz weed.

But even back then I remember people talking about that the clone was de-generating or whatever you call it. Starting to lack luster. That is going on ten years now since people were saying that. Most have probably dropped it.

Something to remember about it is how old it is. Its one of the first "clone only" grower circulated strains. Its been a legend and to folks who were hobby growing in the early 90s things like Cali-O were half legend outside of places like Humboldt or Vancouver. People were still mostly growing from bagseed in most of the country.

Now that everyone buys clones from dispensaries it does appear to be over hyped. But in context its really like one of the earliest designer strains.

Z

Z-ro

I mean really what more can be said than what Chimera already has. I personally enjoy the smell and flavor, but in no way shape or form do I even get a buzz from it, Ive even had really light weight smokers tell me the same, hence why I dropped it. It does yield well in low light conditions though, ie norcal guerilla grows.

hp5273

I got a pack of Classic Clone Company's S1 of the Aeric77 Cali-O cut back in 2001. Grow reviews said that these S1s were true to the original (smell, taste, yield, double serrations, etc.) and that there was at least one noticeably better pheno which grew faster, bigger and smelled much more orange-y.

I've popped 4 of the seeds over the years all have been very similar and likely were not the "turbo" pheno. I did keep a couple as mothers for a while and did several clone runs, some in soil, some DWC and a couple in small Hempy buckets. No matter the medium, they were very finicky feeders as Chimera described and moderate yielders, some hermie bananas late in flower on occasion too. The high was consistent and always very nice; pleasant, social and not overpowering if you toked in moderation. Good relaxing and putzing around the house daytime stuff. Once you've had it you can always recognize it.

album.php
picture.php

This bud is from the best grow (150w HPS + 2x50w MH, FoxFarms LightWarrior soil and PureBlendPro) and the only time the pistils stayed pink/purple all the way to the finish. The fresh smell was like orange soda; intense and a little sour, tickled the nose. After curing for several months it turned hashier, smoother and sweeter. When smoked, tastes mildly orange. The high matches the storied, pleasantly disorienting Cali-O buzz but she'll put you in orbit if you want -- just keep toking.

I managed to hit the last run of Cali-O clones with pollen from a lucky, virile DJS F13 male and got about a hundred seeds. Haven't popped any yet but look forward to seeing what the combination is like. I'd like to run them alongside Chimera's C+

Last edited:

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I have seeds that I made of a Cali-o cutting I was gifted around 2004. I grew a few crops and thought it was great, but I always had problems feeding properly or PH, never really did find out what the problem was. It always had brown crispy leaves that started at the bottom and worked its way up. Never-the-less, the couple times I ran her I was highly impressed with the delicious orange tasting bud, but was beside myself with leaf issues when others in the same garden turned out perfect.

I had recovered a few seeds from the last run probably due to stress, made a male and crossed it with the female clone of Cali-O, then seeds were put away into my fridge. The Clone was then let go.

I just remembered I had them when this thread came up. I'm thinking I might actually grow some out in the near future and see now if I can correct that leaf problem or find a pheno without it. Actually, I am curious as to what I have in storage. I have always made it a point to store my seeds properly - at least as well as I knew at the time and I'm sure I have other surprises in there.

Thanks for the thread, I find it interesting and am always wanting to read of past strains that seem to be extinct. I know from now on any clone strain that I get that rates a 9 on my scale of enjoyability is going to get s1's made and stored for future endeavors.

TGT

UsualSuspect

Veteran
Cali-O

Cali-O

I have grown Cali-O off and on for 10yrs a friend of mine has had her for 15yrs.

I have to agree with many of the previous statements, she has a huge 9/10 Orange cream soda odor/smell, the flavor is intense a very strong orange cream soda taste that stays with you. High is truly subjective for some she is the perfect daytime herb because she will not overwhelm no matter how much is smoked. For the heavy smoker she will not do just not enough punch a 4/10. She is special and I do agree with some post saying she is a true heirloom strain, just not for every garden or smoker. If you are a light smoker who smokes 1 or 2 times a day she should be potent enough but if you smoke over 3 grams a day smoking Cali-O is a waste of time, and I mean that with the most respect for the strain.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

window

Veteran
cali-o

cali-o

I'm growing some Californian skunk haze, two weeks into flowering and she has a citrus smell already. Years ago in the early nineties I grew some Californian orange from Positronic seeds if I remember correctly. They stretched in flower and had long thin, light green cola's, resin even covered the fan leaves and they smelt of pure oranges. Although not devastating, I found her mentally stimulating and she got me high, good pot. I too agree with other posters, Cali-o is one of our haireloom plants and it would be sad to lose her, even if she isn't that potent.

Z

Z-ro

If your cut does not have double serrated leaf edges it is not the ae77 clone.

Relentless

Veteran
nice pics usualsuspect.

Ill be posting pics of the cali o clone today or tomorrow when I trim up two :D