What's new

camera roll call

kp^

DG..well..it took some researching the hard drives, thank god I labled my image files MPE at the time, or I'm not sure I would have ever found them. Here are three images with my 20D, not my 50D, with the MPE 65mm. I'm not sure they're that bad after all! They were a little hazy on the edges but I was using two 200 watt day light bulbs on stands, you have the twin flash and that would be a real big plus. With the 50D you have much better resolution so you could crop out the blurred edges or capture just the in focus areas. I don't know what to say now..I think if I could afford one and the twin light I'd have one hooked up and shooting, my problem was always the cash.. There is a rail system that works with this but I shot these from a small 6" tall tripod and moved the bud or leaf back and forth to focus. They were not shot in RAW mode.
The strain..Cannacopia Lapis Indica..Your call...DD

edit: DG I rented this thing for 4 days by mail, it was the first and only time I used it, I'm sure if I owned one I would master it and could do much better than this.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=6882&pictureid=415493IMG]

[IMG]https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=6882&pictureid=415492IMG]

[IMG]https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=6882&pictureid=415491IMG][/QUOTE]

[B]Doobieduck[/B] nice shots tho! I'm reallying diggin the colors.. woaaa! :tiphat::joint:

What kind of distance are you shooting from the nug to get that shot? lens-to-nug? 6-12"? Thanks!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont think so not with 65mm prime lens. 1-4" im far from an expert so I could be way off. I shoot my 60mm in this range.

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
DD...you have convinced me that this 65mm lens is a good one....maybe when you took those you just needed more time with it than the rental period. The problem with me is that I go 'into' the garden and pics I take are from on plants growing....I can't bring them closer so easy and have to rely on the tripod, but with the addition of a focus rail...and my diligence...lol...maybe, just maybe I can work with it. Ahhh, the toys we just have to have! lol

I think your pics are awesome...and thank you for taking the time to find them....it gives me the best idea of how the lens magnifies and as we all know, a pic speaks a thousand words....your pics show me that the lens DOES have the ability to capture clear, crisp, in focus trichs.

Thank you DD....much appreciated!

:ying:
DG

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lots of great info in this thread.

I recently purchased a Canon 7D.
I feel like I'm developing a lens addiction. That mpe-65 is definitely on the list.

Great shots DD!

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
full size...

full size...

Doobieduck What kind of distance are you shooting from the nug to get that shot? lens-to-nug? 6-12"? Thanks!
KP I'm thinking it was as Hammerhead mentioned 1 to 4 inches..but these were back in 2008..that might seem easy to remember for some but I filled a 60 gig drive with images since then so the pixels and the shoots all get blurred together for me..LOL.

Here is a full frame image from that shoot..it was 48"x32" @72dpi with my 20D. This morning I adjusted the auto levels, sharpened it at 80% then reduced it to 12"x8" and that is what you see.

picture.php

This second image is a crop right out of the center of the original image..about a 1/3 of the image, after cropping it, it then was 24"x19" @72dpi. I then reduced that to 12"x 9.5"@72 then sharpened again @80%.

picture.php

Since this shoot I upgraded to my 50D and that purchase was done just for macros. Having the increase in resolution will allow you to do much more with macros. It would be nice to see what I could do with this lens and the 50D now. Have a great day...DD
Hammerhead thanks for your participation in the thread and appreciation of my work as well...DD

edit: Oh and DG..you will not be able to capture images from the plant I do not think. Your plant will be moving, growing, faster than the lens will allow and cause blur. Just sacrafice a small nuggie friend, I know it is hard, I cry too, put it in a vase of cold water in a shake free area with no wind or air moving at all. See Ya....

KP I'm thinking it was as Hammerhead mentioned 1 to 4 inches..but these were back in 2008..that might seem easy to remember for some but I filled a 60 gig drive with images since then so the pixels and the shoots all get blurred together for me..LOL.

Here is a full frame image from that shoot..it was 48"x32" @72dpi with my 20D. This morning I adjusted the auto levels, sharpened it at 80% then reduced it to 12"x8" and that is what you see.

picture.php

This second image is a crop right out of the center of the original image..about a 1/3 of the image, after cropping it, it then was 24"x19" @72dpi. I then reduced that to 12"x 9.5"@72 then sharpened again @80%.

picture.php

Since this shoot I upgraded to my 50D and that purchase was done just for macros. Having the increase in resolution will allow you to do much more with macros. It would be nice to see what I could do with this lens and the 50D now. Have a great day...DD
Hammerhead thanks for your participation in the thread and appreciation of my work as well...DD

edit: Oh and DG..you will not be able to capture images from the plant I do not think. Your plant will be moving, growing, faster than the lens will allow and cause blur. Just sacrafice a small nuggie friend, I know it is hard, I cry too, put it in a vase of cold water in a shake free area with no wind or air moving at all. See Ya....

These images were almost there, all you have to do with macro photography is stop the lens down much more for deeper depth of field (dof)..F16 and beyond usually bring everything into focus. Problem is when you stop down that much the camera/lens is really struggling to get enough light for the image. Usually the on camera flash can’t get light where its needs to be when you’re so close to your subject with a 1:1 macro lens. If you have a flash unit for canon (i think 580ex or similar) you would use a sync cord with it so you can bring the flash right along side of subject.. I used to use a good flash light to deal with that. Macro lens like 105 Nikon or 200mm give more working distance than 50-60mm lens. Always tripod/manual focus on static subjects for accuracy when possible. It’s been a while since I shot buds