What's new

camera roll call

p0opstlnksal0t

They all have a little bit of PP, but not too much.

I am more of a Canon person myself. I shoot for a living so I am very particular on my gear. It needs to work very consistently for me will very little problems and I have found that Canon does that best for me. I also love full frame. I should be getting a 5d Mark II pretty soon. That camera has some amazing low light capabilities. Pentax does make some great cameras though. It really just comes down to what ever you are comfortable with. :joint:

I agree, and i think if i were professional seeking a dslr i would go full frame canon too... until of course the pentax 645d comes out... that beast will even be able to use all pentax medium format lenses to date and even old takumar!!! im actually in the process of shopping for a nice af long range zoom. might just go with the 55-300mm kit lense that comes with the kx. after that a nice 135mm f2 or something would be really sweet.

G

guest456mpy

RedDeer,
I like the photos a lot, you really have a great eye and follow through with your PP techniques. Less is more. ;)

To the thread in general.
Photos are way more than years experience or camera gear. I started back in the 50's as a kid and have held many a camera, good and bad. Right now you really have to try hard to get a bad camera. Nikon or Canon may be 1st tier, but even "pro-sumer" cameras can turn out breathtaking shots given the right photo-ops.

I bought Nikon back in the 60's because they had a good lineup of lenses. Circumstances being different, I might have gone canon. Once you are firmly established with a lot of lenses (shit happens) you are kinda tied to a brand unless you are willing to take a "hit" on replacing your gear . Other than that it's pretty much a level playing field. Don't bang the "pro-sumer" stuff around and they perform faultlessly.

Personally lately my challenge is in getting that "photo-op".

When I had a basement and attic my grows were way more open. Now living in a condo my grow is much more cramped. No complaints here because difficulties always made me grow, just stating facts.

I took some shots that I consider good enough to show and wil post them in the near future, but they can't even compete IMHO with the open quality and wonderful lighting that RedDeer brings to the table. :respect:

G

guest456mpy

In reference to professional full frame cameras, the D3 is one of 2 Nikon's full frame enties, the D3 and D3x respectively.

Mostly helpful in wide angle applications IMHO and experience.

OK here's my 1st photo post on ICMag.

Chemdog IX-III at day 28 from 12/12 flip.

Nikon D3 with SB800 flash Tripod mounted
Nikkor 200mm f/4 AF-D ED Micro (Manual focusing)
1/60 @f/64 ISO200

And a detail from the same photo,

Also in my Album, hope it passes minimum expectations.
HempyGuy

Attachments

• ChemD Day 28.jpg
    ChemD Day 28.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 29
  • ChemD Day 28 detail.jpg
    ChemD Day 28 detail.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lighting

Lighting

Yeah yeah, all you Nikon folks making me have buyer's remorse again about this Canon I have.
DG you were nominated and took almost 9% of the vote in the March PoTM contest, on the largest cannabis growers site in the world, so no buyers remorse please...lol. All makes and models, even the in-expensive point and shoots, in the right hands, are capable of a prize wining photogrpah. The photo-op, sensor size, lenses, brand, can be discussed over and over, but I will say lighting will be the most influential factor in your getting good images.
Nikon or Canon may be 1st tier, but even "pro-sumer" cameras can turn out breathtaking shots given the right photo-ops. Personally lately my challenge is in getting that "photo-op". :
My space is only 4 foot high and under a building..thus you see very few grow shots from me. I remove the colas and get them in the lighting I want for most of my images. My present grow, I am growing in pots for the first time, so I can bring the entire plant into the light I desire. Like these images from yesterday...big smiles..Lapis Indica..Canon 50D and 70*200mm L lense. DD
picture.php

These were captured in natural sunlight with the help of a flash..thus the ghosting of the wings in a slower shutter 250th sec. I don't like the lighting on the plant at all. You have to compromise when doing some images, with lighting, I would love to shoot these at 1/30th of a second but the hummer would not be in the picture. With focus it is very difficult to have both the bird and the plant in focue, and that to is affected by the lighting.

picture.php

Last edited:
G

guest456mpy

DutchGrown,
Canon owners need no apologies or buyers remorse. I'm sure that as you get to know your camera you will be able to correct your settings so they will give you want you want.

DoobieDuck,
These were captured in natural sunlight with the help of a flash..thus the ghotsing of the wings in a slower shutter 250th sec. I don't like the lighting on the plant at all.
Mixed lighting is really rough to work with, even for pros.

What don't you like about the lighting on the plants. Let's see if we can't massage them into what your mind's eye is seeing. What I see is not as important as what you see in this case. ;)

I am more than willing to help absolutely anyone in understanding the basic photographic principles and how to apply them in capturing images. As a retiree, I have all the time in the world (for a while at least!). I certainly won't have all the answers, but can point one to reliable resources when I don't.

Last edited:

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Heya DoobieD: Amazing shots you get....I simply LOVE your hummingbird pics! You have such a talented eye for sizing up a shot! :respect:

Hempyguy: You're right...I just need more practice in getting the settings right for the conditions I'm shooting, which takes time and many attempts to accomplish and get to know what to do at that moment with the settings. Some of my better macro shots were due to lighting factors. Thank you for your input! Always appreciated!!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry just got back to this thread. The lens I use is AF-S Micro NIKKOR
60mm f/2.8G ED dedicated macro lens. I have some extension tubs on order with a new tripod.

Prime lens= Lens that can not change the focal length.

Last edited:

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
I just tried the tubes....they simply didn't work for me...already back from where they came, and contemplating now which lens to get....something better than my 60mm macro to get tighter shots...more magnification....any suggestions? Using Canon EOS 50D.

:thank you:

p0opstlnksal0t

ive been contemplating selling my kx for the new canon t2i... but just cant justify the leap... the canon lenses are pretty pricey for what you get compared to pentax

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you would need to find a lens that can do 1:1 up to 1:5 with auto focus. I looked but could not find anything. Im in the same boat with Nikon. If I want to do 1:5 I would need to get a manul lens.

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Thanks Hammer for that link.....very interesting. :chin: Unfortunately I don't understand enough about the reviews of each lens to know exactly what's being discussed.

I tried the ext tubes and wasn't pleased at all....so sent them back.

Have seen usb microscopes mentioned, but researched a bit about them and think that although they are useful, one of these prob won't get the sharp crisp clear pics I'm looking for so have stopped contemplating about picking one up.

I'm also a bit confused about other manufacturer's lens...I know my Canon 50D will accept other makes of lenses, and I presume if it's something like Tamron (for example) then it will say what all camera bodies it fits.

I keep going back to the manual focus lens you initially told me about....and although there are no auto functions, and requires the photographer to move the camera closer or further away, maybe this would be the best lens if I also get one of those things to attach to my tripod that smoothly slides the camera without having to readjust the tripod. Is this correct?

Thank you!!! Any and all suggestions by anyone here is most welcome!

:ying:
DG

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I tried the ext tubes and wasn't pleased at all....so sent them back.
DG
DG sorry to hear the tubes did not work for you. I've acheived some of my better images with them but there are so many other factors, lighting, shake, etc. involved it is difficult for me to get a good image every time. Those micro scopes, very few have hi enough resolution, or pixel count to make good prints. Ones that do cost a bundle and that is all you can use them for. If you only wanted pix for the internet they work OK.
The Canon MPE 65mm is thier most advanced macro lens but I rented one and I didn't like the rsults from it at all. I've used close up filters that go on the end of your lens like a porlorizer and never was happy with them either. You could always try turning your 60mm around and fitting it to another lens you have. Let me know if you're interested in that technique and I'll find you some good links..good luck..DD

Fuzz420

Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire
Veteran
Very nice thing. Im trying to learn a thing or two.

I have Nikon Coolpix S3 6mp, but i just recently switched over to a Nikon D70 w/ AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED Lens.I dont how to work the cam, but im learning. Its a shame that ill never buy new lenses, this is a hobby i am not prepared for

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Hi DD....as always I respect your camera knowledge and skills. I am very close to opting for the 65mm you mentioned....and although manual, wouldn't it still work with the attachment that lets you 'slide' the camera closer or further back while mounted to the tripod?

I've searched and searched and don't find a macro lens that 'says' it produces as high of magnification as this one.

I did find a digital microscope that looks as though it would produce the clear crisp macros I am trying to achieve, but it is made by Leica and is wayyyyyy more money than what I'm looking to spend. Leica sure has some expensive products!!! It seems more geared to laboratory use...like taking pics of individual blood cells. Is a bit over the top for what I'm in need of. :biglaugh:

DD, can you tell me what it was that you didn't like about the MPE 65mm BEFORE I drop the dosh on that one?

DG

kp^

I LOVE digital photography!!! I started on a buddies Nikon D40 5+years ago.... and recently picked up an EOS 7D about 3 months ago...

I have an 18-135mm
10-22mm
50mm 1.4

I still want a 100mm macro, and a 100-400mmL when I can afford. I take everything in raw, and post process with either lightroom or photoshop.

I dont have any bud shots yet.. Only lots and lots of room shots, and mum plants etc.... I have not been sharing my current grow, but since other are sharing... and I just put my clones in the bucket.. You can see. :tiphat::joint:

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
MPE 65 pixels

MPE 65 pixels

DD, can you tell me what it was that you didn't like about the MPE 65mm BEFORE I drop the dosh on that one?
DG
DG..well..it took some researching the hard drives, thank god I labled my image files MPE at the time, or I'm not sure I would have ever found them. Here are three images with my 20D, not my 50D, with the MPE 65mm. I'm not sure they're that bad after all! They were a little hazy on the edges but I was using two 200 watt day light bulbs on stands, you have the twin flash and that would be a real big plus. With the 50D you have much better resolution so you could crop out the blurred edges or capture just the in focus areas. I don't know what to say now..I think if I could afford one and the twin light I'd have one hooked up and shooting, my problem was always the cash.. There is a rail system that works with this but I shot these from a small 6" tall tripod and moved the bud or leaf back and forth to focus. They were not shot in RAW mode.
The strain..Cannacopia Lapis Indica..Your call...DD

edit: DG I rented this thing for 4 days by mail, it was the first and only time I used it, I'm sure if I owned one I would master it and could do much better than this.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow DD amazing. If I had a Canon I would give that lens a go. Im sure that can be improved upon with lighting. Im trying to find something equivalent to this lens but for a Nikon D90