What's new

camera roll call

JohnnyATL

Veteran
so yeah basically im getting into bud photos and im looking for a nice camera. I have a nikon coolpix but its only like 8mp and i need help getting better close up shots .

what kind of cameras are yall running for those nice pics

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cannon Rebel. It ain't cheap, but it's beast and can shoot great even with the HPS light on because of all it's white filters.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
hey post some pics of what you shot with the one you are using!

im using a shitty canon powershotsd1000 7.1 megapixel. these are my shots on macro.

PureKush.jpg

Ruosk

It's not about megapixels, but quality of camera cell, optics and controls. Just got me Canon EOS 1000D with 18-55mm and 75-300mm and a tripod... trying to learn to shoot now ;)

Nowadays you get decent SLR's so cheap, there's not much point to buy a compact if you're planning to do anything besides point and shoot vacation pics.

greenhead

Veteran
Megapixels are overrated and are not a good way to determine which camera is best.

A 6 megapixel SLR camera can be way better than a 10 megapixel cheapo camera. There's many other factors involved which has a bearing on what is better or not.

:smokey:

MeanBean

FujiFilm FINEPIX s2000HD

It's the shit. look in my sig, I can take pics of buds under led and make them look normal...

That pic is under LED. Could never post a full size image hear but their real nice. I had to turn the quality down to about 33% as well as shrinking the image. Doesn't do the camera justice!

I like Cannon too but I think You get more for your money + the same quality with fujifilm.

JohnnyATL

Veteran
sweet i havent even seen this sub forum before thanks mods

anyways i think i just cant figure out the macro settings. i need to look at the manual or something ill try and take some pics to post

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
i just got a Nikon coolpix L100...nice little bit of kit for the money,,its even got a macro setting:biggrin:....not as good as the DSLR but good anuff for what i need,,,i aint camara guy + the DSLR had to meny buttons lol........check it out bro ...:yes:

keep it green
highlander

bentom187

Veteran
i had a casio exlim 8mp? witch was nice until i fell on it,and now i got a olympus fe 4000 witch is 12mp i like the price only 100$ but it dosent have as many feture as the casio.

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
I'm using a Canon EOS 50D. Have a couple of lenses...one EFS 18-135mm and the other is macro lens 60mm.

I'm hardly qualified to give advice on cameras...especially since I'm still learning this Canon...but if I had it all to do over (which I still might do), I'd seriously check out Nikon, like their D90 or D700.

This is a macro shot I got lucky with a couple days ago:

This one is with the 18-135mm lens:

G

good drown

i got like over 5k in gear, but i usually just use the wifes point and shoot. i never really got into buds shots, seems kind of silly i guess to me

JohnnyATL

Veteran
I'm using a Canon EOS 50D. Have a couple of lenses...one EFS 18-135mm and the other is macro lens 60mm.

I'm hardly qualified to give advice on cameras...especially since I'm still learning this Canon...but if I had it all to do over (which I still might do), I'd seriously check out Nikon, like their D90 or D700.

This is a macro shot I got lucky with a couple days ago:

This one is with the 18-135mm lens:

my buddy let me use his cannon EOS and its really nice, but i cant get close enough with macro. does it need a different lense?

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
The camera you have has such a small impact on your bud shots... you have to know how to use the camera with the right settings if you want good pictures. Just like buying an expensive car isn't going to make you a good driver.

I use a Canon Powershot A620, and with the right lighting, and a tripod, I can take awesome pics and macros.

Learn how to...

Light your subject properly
Mount the camera so you can use slower shutter speeds
Selectively crop your pictures. When we can only see about 1 megapixel on this site, what's the point of taking a 10 megapixel shot if you're just going to compress it? Crop out the best 1024x1024 part that is in focus and you can get some awesome pics.

G

good drown

my buddy let me use his cannon EOS and its really nice, but i cant get close enough with macro. does it need a different lense?
yes, the lenses are more important than the camera. i just sold 2 used ones for $2500

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
The camera you have has such a small impact on your bud shots... you have to know how to use the camera with the right settings if you want good pictures. Just like buying an expensive car isn't going to make you a good driver.

I use a Canon Powershot A620, and with the right lighting, and a tripod, I can take awesome pics and macros.

Learn how to...

Light your subject properly
Mount the camera so you can use slower shutter speeds
Selectively crop your pictures. When we can only see about 1 megapixel on this site, what's the point of taking a 10 megapixel shot if you're just going to compress it? Crop out the best 1024x1024 part that is in focus and you can get some awesome pics.

I agree with you mostly....but....had I not had the opportunity to use my 50D side by side with a pro photographer recently (who was using a Nikon D90) then I'd agree totally. Fact is, he set his Nikon and was getting incredible shots. We then set my Canon to the same settings....and the difference between the images produced by his Nikon vs my Canon was noticeable. Also, we had equivalent lenses. The color reproduction and better detailed focus was remarkably better with the Nikon. He used his Nikon....took a shot....then took my Canon (same settings/lens) and took same shot again.........all this within moments of each other.

Perhaps my Canon has a faulty processor....or something....cause the differences should not have been that drastic between the two cameras.

I've learned a bit since switching to dslr....mostly simple stuff, like:

f stop: lower = less DOF and higher = more DOF
Shutter Speed: lower (fractions of sec) = longer open and results in more light
and
higher setting = faster and lets less light in.

Of course with a longer shutter speed, and tripod, along with remote shutter release, that's how I got lucky with the trich shot I posted. I say lucky, because at my experience level, it was the only one out of about 200+ images I attempted that I was satisfied with.

Although I'm just a beginner....and no where near the knowledge level of most here in this forum, I've learned a few things and tricks along the way from Doobieduck and Crazy Composer, both who I respect their skills and art form. There is ALOT of talented photographers on the site here, so if anyone wants to give me some constructive criticism, please check out a couple threads in my forum (DG's Bud Shots) and (DG's Trichome Jungle)....stop in and let me know what you think! Just don't beat on me too much.....lol....I'm really trying, and encouragement along with suggestions is a good motivation to keep trying!

:thank you:
DG

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
DG, very good points about the f stop and shutter speed. Those can be adjusted with most cameras though, not just SLRs. Those are some of the key settings for getting a good picture. You've got some great shots in your Trichome Jungle, that's for sure! :respect: