What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cambodian * Laos * Thai * Vietnam * Burma & SE Asians....

funkyhorse

Hola led05
I am using this coronavirus pandemy time to learn to grow my weed and my salad. I am particularly interested in the weed I smoked in real life
I have grown a few south east asians and I am searching more at this very moment, probably in a couple of weeks after the equinox I will start seeing more plants sexing

When I arrived to Cambodia for the first time end of 90s, what impressed me the most was the lack of old people. Khmer Rouge time was tough. When you kill the elders, you kill the knowledge and the experience...
A handful bag of flowers served in a cheap nylon bag tied costed around 2 to 5u$s according to customer face and in every single guesthouse, restaurant, etc, this movie was played everywhere. You could buy a kilo of cannabis seed at 2u$s at any vegetable market in many places in SE Asia

This bag of cambodian weed quality was equal to the southeast asian brick which I think was grown in Cambodia until around 2013 when it started moving across borders to laos. You know, cannabis trade is very dynamic and a moving target all the time. What I smoked during the milennia in Gili Islands out of Lombok was sumatran and had the same high as cambodian

This is a cambodian classic: Happy Pizza

One of the amazing features of these forums is it gives you inspiration for creative thinking
This is certainly something we can do at home and improve it

And totally offtopic but interesting anyways. I think in disagreement is where we learn most. This show is supported and financed by Usa. At this part of the world people went to jail for receiving seed and getting caught.
This is Pedro Juan Caballero, a kilo there costs 8(eight) U$S. It is sold at the southamerican capital cities at 1u$s/gram retail. Wholesale is cheaper. 3 harvests a year. Your saviour will never come from this part of the world, it is too corrupt. The legal ones are the governor sons and the rest are all illegal.
In NYC is legal and the same government is financing these shows at the same time.
It is very complicated to make balance in such an unbalanced world mate.
Have a nice week

TheDarkStorm

This one looks very interesting, well grown too.....any scents you getting from this one at the stage it was in the pics and while cutting.....il defo be looking out for your updates on this one when ready.....not seen one like that in a while in any of the cambos around for quite some years......good luck with it led05 hope you find some real gems.

TheDarkStorm

Out of interest Led05 did the s1 (or I seen you say s2,3, and s4) of the Cambodian#1 carry through that same bud structure, resin and colour ?.....if you have any pics of the s1 of the Cambodian#1 please or futher generations of it id be interested to see how they came out. Thanks. Nice work.

led05

Chasing The Present
This one looks very interesting, well grown too.....any scents you getting from this one at the stage it was in the pics and while cutting.....il defo be looking out for your updates on this one when ready.....not seen one like that in a while in any of the cambos around for quite some years......good luck with it led05 hope you find some real gems.
It’s been a while but IIRC mint, floral incense, citrus fruits - all gentler & lighter / clean terps - the person whom collected these seeds travelled @ SE Asia and IIRC the Cambodian was their favorite; & TY

Out of interest Led05 did the s1 (or I seen you say s2,3, and s4) of the Cambodian#1 carry through that same bud structure, resin and colour ?.....if you have any pics of the s1 of the Cambodian#1 please or futher generations of it id be interested to see how they came out. Thanks. Nice work.
S1 /S2 of Cambodian #1 & #2 is largely what’s pictured in this thread - IME growing out 1 + year old moms of pure NLD is when the magic really shines, these plants have a long internal clock

So with the generation iterations it’s quite complicated with the SE Asians, sometimes I’ll jump b/w P & S as all these fuckers herm, that’s the deal, this is being improved upon … so when you’re trying to use the most firm M you can and breed Regs you never really know who’s / what pollinated what so I leave myself open as I truly don’t know for absolute certainty and I hate spinning tales, integrity to me is foundational to everything I take it very seriously…

I have buckets of each parent at varying stages of life, when we’re getting into S3/P3 + it’s combination of both Cambodian moms and Laotian thus SE Asian lines… Also have the Cambodian ladies X’d to one another each being the “male” same for Laotian…

But when you’ve got a stud in a room and ladies that herm too, well some % of those seeds are gonna be selfed, period..

The thing that matters most to me is the quality, vigor, stability & health of these plants and all are improving…

But I also have iterations in time, by plant too for reverting back, my spreadsheets are ridiculous - but only as accurate as I can be, limitations always present

Apologies for ambiguity above but it’s the truth

Last edited:

IndicaFarmer

Led05, your photo with the plants all having the exact same leaf tip curl is awesome!!!!! It is something out a freaking nightmare/dream with evil/Alice in wonderland type demon plants! Also, the buds sticking past the led is freaking amaze balls. God the smell alone when those lights get going, must have been hard to breathe with all that terpinated air. Anyways much respect man, your extreme SEA's are a sight to behold and a joy for all us weed nerds. Thanks.

island_organics

Laos muang sing in early bloom.
This plant was so nice to watch as she did her thing. Her buds were like strings of pearls that kept growing in length over the sixteen weeks of bloom instead of filling out to form a dense cola. This trait is called fenotrigo, like wheat.
Aromas were soap and vanilla. Definitely one of the most unusual varieties I’ve ever grown.
87E27060-EB59-4FDF-BF53-3CCF8450DBC8.jpeg
D795F01A-F7E6-42F5-B837-D9D4C6B29A0D.jpeg
1F104BD7-1138-467D-A30D-2233AD0A4E7D.jpeg
47A9B98C-419A-4719-B95B-C0A6E21C87A6.jpeg
0D64A81D-7E3F-43DF-82FD-BD329D6506A2.jpeg

led05

Chasing The Present
Laos muang sing in early bloom.
This plant was so nice to watch as she did her thing. Her buds were like strings of pearls that kept growing in length over the sixteen weeks of bloom instead of filling out to form a dense cola. This trait is called fenotrigo, like wheat.
Aromas were soap and vanilla. Definitely one of the most unusual varieties I’ve ever grown.
View attachment 18821566 View attachment 18821568 View attachment 18821570 View attachment 18821571 View attachment 18821574
Beautiful - Laotians seem to always have overly extended & pointy calyx, looks like seeds in some of them, if so who’s daddy…? Were the plants firm or were hermaphrodites present?

Cheers, TY for sharing

IndicaFarmer

Hey Island O, I have a female of the same variety going now, also in early bloom. Did you lower yours to 11 on 13 off or some other amount for light? just curious. trying to get the best idea of how much light or how little to give for best bloom. I am growing for seed mostly, crossed with a Durban 80. I am surprised how vigorous it is. It is virtually untouched by insects, which i unfortunately have. I bend the branches over every other day, high stress style, popping stem cells and bending over. in half an hour they are back up. never seen anything like it. The male one had some cool variegation, yellow mostly. very cool. Anyways, did you get yours from Zomia Co.? Thanks and have a good one. PEACE.

island_organics

Beautiful - Laotians seem to always have overly extended & pointy calyx, looks like seeds in some of them, if so who’s daddy…? Were the plants firm or were hermaphrodites present?

Cheers, TY for sharing
The calyx formation is very exaggerated and almost cartoon like in this plant. I did seed a lower branch with pollen from a nice pair of Malawi males. It’s hard to tell which calyx’s have seed in them as the un-fertilized ones were just as large.
The genetic is very stable with no signs of stress over sixteen weeks of flowering in a 5ltr pot.

island_organics

Hey Island O, I have a female of the same variety going now, also in early bloom. Did you lower yours to 11 on 13 off or some other amount for light? just curious. trying to get the best idea of how much light or how little to give for best bloom. I am growing for seed mostly, crossed with a Durban 80. I am surprised how vigorous it is. It is virtually untouched by insects, which i unfortunately have. I bend the branches over every other day, high stress style, popping stem cells and bending over. in half an hour they are back up. never seen anything like it. The male one had some cool variegation, yellow mostly. very cool. Anyways, did you get yours from Zomia Co.? Thanks and have a good one. PEACE.
I started this one on 11/ 13 photoperiod, by putting it into a dark shed every night. I lowered that down to 10/ 14 after twelve weeks until she was done at sixteen weeks. I’m in a coastal Mediterranean climate so very intense light through most of the season.
Yeh they’re a very strong variety that can easily shrug off most things that could flatten a weak plant quickly.
I got the seeds from khalifa genetics a few years ago.

TheDarkStorm

It’s been a while but IIRC mint, floral incense, citrus fruits - all gentler & lighter / clean terps - the person whom collected these seeds travelled @ SE Asia and IIRC the Cambodian was their favorite; & TY

S1 /S2 of Cambodian #1 & #2 is largely what’s pictured in this thread - IME growing out 1 + year old moms of pure NLD is when the magic really shines, these plants have a long internal clock

So with the generation iterations it’s quite complicated with the SE Asians, sometimes I’ll jump b/w P & S as all these fuckers herm, that’s the deal, this is being improved upon … so when you’re trying to use the most firm M you can and breed Regs you never really know who’s / what pollinated what so I leave myself open as I truly don’t know for absolute certainty and I hate spinning tales, integrity to me is foundational to everything I take it very seriously…

I have buckets of each parent at varying stages of life, when we’re getting into S3/P3 + it’s combination of both Cambodian moms and Laotian thus SE Asian lines… Also have the Cambodian ladies X’d to one another each being the “male” same for Laotian…

But when you’ve got a stud in a room and ladies that herm too, well some % of those seeds are gonna be selfed, period..

The thing that matters most to me is the quality, vigor, stability & health of these plants and all are improving…

But I also have iterations in time, by plant too for reverting back, my spreadsheets are ridiculous - but only as accurate as I can be, limitations always present

Apologies for ambiguity above but it’s the truth
Thanks for the answers Led05....yes best to just be upfront and honest...much appreciated.....any info on the thai you use please....and if you have done any Cambodian x Thai.....sorry for all the questions...dont get to see many beautiful different southeast asian types in one place...and your do look so nice...also you quite qbit going on...looks fun.
Oh...one other thing....the Burmese your working with....how have you found that to be.....have you found many things you liked in the burma seed....thanks for helping with some of my questions and thoughts.....peace.

led05

Chasing The Present
Thanks for the answers Led05....yes best to just be upfront and honest...much appreciated.....any info on the thai you use please....and if you have done any Cambodian x Thai.....sorry for all the questions...dont get to see many beautiful different southeast asian types in one place...and your do look so nice...also you quite qbit going on...looks fun.
Oh...one other thing....the Burmese your working with....how have you found that to be.....have you found many things you liked in the burma seed....thanks for helping with some of my questions and thoughts.....peace.
Cambodian /Laos x Cambodian/Thai seedlings going now, it’s a highland variety the Thai…

I popped some very old Burma seeds and sadly none were viable, many were crushed in mail they had aged / softened up so much, perhaps some natural blanks too - spent couple months trying to just get a tail from one :( -

Actually Kinda like the Cambodians but luckily 2 of those eventually turned into beauties so happy endings there - ha

The title in part for this thread is hoping others will also share pics, experiences growing plants from those regions, travels etc too - adding to a common thread representing SE Asia - Ya know that wonderful Trip & Race Car Driver Cannabis we all crave

Thanks for the Q’s & hanging @ buddy

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
Burmese I had from Petrolia in ‘82/‘83……best representation to date…..brought back/tended by Viet Vet Greg who lived on wind generation southern humby…..stuff was electric in beginning with ones mind wandering into a trance as high progressed…..very unusual gear…..long lasting …
he had a late 40’s dark green panel wagon that would pull up at early morning hours with elbows… I then hauled to the Cruz……..where It jumped off the shelves….
ganj on…..

led05

Chasing The Present
What does Cambodian smells like?
Not a lot on plant like most pure NLD, lemon flowers, rose geranium, mint, citrus - the Laos are similar but some have a burnt plastic / burning rubber vibe to them, those ones can be a bit more edgy & wild…, one thing I’ve learned from smoking pure SE Asians is they accumulate like nothing else, over long periods time & can noid you the FK out, much more so than even the best hazes…

But that’s often what one is after, yes ;)

led05

Chasing The Present
I’m Looking for Laredo (old handle in here, elsewhere ) guy loves SE Asia, especial Laos and has traveled there countless times…

Id like to send you back seeds I’ve made with the series of Vientiane & Xyanabari seeds you so graciously shared years ago from your travels with myself & others…

Cheers buddy hit me up if you’re still @

PS: no imposters please - lol

Piff_cat

This little plant in the front is Cambodian 2, growing below Cambodian 1 - 2 took months just to get going, 1 was slow too out the gates but that's often what happens with very old see, luckily I got two to pull through and many, many crosses have been made since, quite a few improvements as well..... But both Cambodians were excellent to begin with, as good as it gets for P1 collected in-situ beans

View attachment 18817497

Cambodian #1 was more green, #2 more Red - More #2 - first round of #2 it never got large, P2 and on I grew these all like crazy, crossing them out to Laotians that Laredo brought back, specifically in the buckets labeled Vientiane #2 & #3

Here's some Laotian / Vientiane as they all were in P1 form - The Laotians varied a lot, these are nicer ones, those seeds almost all came up as they were collected months within when I grew them vs decades like the Cambodians.
View attachment 18817499

Selfed P1 Cambodian #1 seeds forming here, later on I selfed #2 separately

View attachment 18817502

P1 initial room of Cambodian & Laotians - Summer 2020

View attachment 18817503

the one plant is obviously not in this group, haha

Initial round of selfed seeds from Cambodian #1, lots of blanks but plenty of good ones too

View attachment 18817504
this thread is crazy beautiful so many of the shapes you see in haze pop up in these lines i really like the golf ball type or fenotrigo with beady resin heads... but that first plant is something very special.

definitly an aneuploid. more then the normal 2 sets but less then a full 3 and this creates extreme phenotypes by throwing off the genome balance. different aneuploid phenotypes will match ip to the specific chromosomes which are repeated for example your plpant has way more nodes then usual is kinda self topping floating nodes and mentholated red xylem.
so the duplication areas in her coorespond back to branching genes, phytohormone and phenolpropanoid production. the blank seeds are the result of both sterile pollen grains and/or unbalanced female gamete/endosperm .meiosis for an aneuploid is a shit show with unequal divisions , laggards, unreduced gametes etc.

the abnormal diversity displayed in a selfed aneuploid is referred to as an aneuploid swarm. plant breeders use this tool often and keep the selected swarm plants as clones/tissue culture. the gains/losses found in the swarm at their best coiuld not be accomplished in traditional breeding.
most often its the aneuploid pollen grains spreading aneuploid phenotypes. the pollen grains are hetergenous in size which is coorelated to how much extra(or less) genome contained in the grain. in this way aneuploid males create enormous diversity. and selfing one like you did for sure will throw crazy diversity like your seeing!

some slides and examples from kullu semi feral with aneuploids
unequal daughters and mutant pollen grains
1680490819356.png

led05

Chasing The Present
this thread is crazy beautiful so many of the shapes you see in haze pop up in these lines i really like the golf ball type or fenotrigo with beady resin heads... but that first plant is something very special.

definitly an aneuploid. more then the normal 2 sets but less then a full 3 and this creates extreme phenotypes by throwing off the genome balance. different aneuploid phenotypes will match ip to the specific chromosomes which are repeated for example your plpant has way more nodes then usual is kinda self topping floating nodes and mentholated red xylem.
so the duplication areas in her coorespond back to branching genes, phytohormone and phenolpropanoid production. the blank seeds are the result of both sterile pollen grains and/or unbalanced female gamete/endosperm .meiosis for an aneuploid is a shit show with unequal divisions , laggards, unreduced gametes etc.

the abnormal diversity displayed in a selfed aneuploid is referred to as an aneuploid swarm. plant breeders use this tool often and keep the selected swarm plants as clones/tissue culture. the gains/losses found in the swarm at their best coiuld not be accomplished in traditional breeding.
most often its the aneuploid pollen grains spreading aneuploid phenotypes. the pollen grains are hetergenous in size which is coorelated to how much extra(or less) genome contained in the grain. in this way aneuploid males create enormous diversity. and selfing one like you did for sure will throw crazy diversity like your seeing!

some slides and examples from kullu semi feral with aneuploids
unequal daughters and mutant pollen grains View attachment 18826420
Thanks for the visit & enlightening post; I’ve long had & expressed the hunch that Cambodian #1 (originally named mutant) had some funky ploidy going on, the above is very relevant to experiences I’ve had with both growing her, selfing her and later X’s to come…. Important to note out of like 30-40 seeds only two ever did anything and #2 took forever just to get going, eventually turning into a beauty too in her own right, but very different.

Once the mutant got hold it was like letting Secretariat out the gates, what a beast !

Piff_cat

Thanks for the visit & enlightening post; I’ve long had & expressed the hunch that Cambodian #1 (originally named mutant) had some funky ploidy going on, the above is very relevant to experiences I’ve had with both growing her, selfing her and later X’s to come…. Important to note out of like 30-40 seeds only two ever did anything and #2 took forever just to get going, eventually turning into a beauty too in her own right, but very different.

Once the mutant got hold it was like letting Secretariat out the gates, what a beast !
lol this second mutant is most likely a tetraploid. did it have a thick tumor like tap root? the red xylem is an excellent selection trait/ plant to watch. i like to germinate my seeds a little extra longer so i can see which ones sprout with the thick red stem, curved/twisted true leaves, fused cotyledons and best of all an abnormal sized endosperm cap. its significant that all instances of polyploid/aneuploid dicoveries in cannabis happen in the highest altitude regions of india/himalaya. a well known location type for natural hybrids and extreme adaptation.
for example the only natural tetraploid population so far was found in the cold desert shadow of lahu/spiti. this unique climate is known to produce polyploids in normal diploid species due to their larger cell size helping survive the brutal conditions.
the slides i just pasted are aneuploids from a study in himchal pradesh(shimla/kullu) these findings were in tune with your plant. abnormal large genomes, extra chromatin, cytomixis(another nuclei enters a cell). in some cases 7 nuclei were found fused together.
the most recent finding was a triploid male in semi feral uttakarhand. red xylem is caused by a null CAD enzyme in the lignin metabolism. the CAD enzyme is supposed to change the aldehydes into alcohols and then send them on to create lignin for cell wall strength. when the cad enzyme is null the aldehydes can no longer be cganed or used for lignin and instead the pre cursor flows into the phenylpropanoid pathway.

this pathway is responsible for synthesizing the direct pre cursor of cbga and phytohormones. even further, the null enzyme causes an abundance of hydroxycinnamates which are incorporated right into the lignin causing the "weeping" red xylem phenotype. this change means the stems take on heavy mentholated comounds, so the red doesnt just look cool its functional.
but this new red lignin has some defects- its not as tight as regular lignin and its building blocks contain errors in contruction such as the floating node extra digits etc. its very possible the cytomixis observed is facilitated by this irregular cell wall construction.
generally the darker the red the more additional phenols are present. this null enzyme is most likely passed on from a wild mulberry from yunnan- morus notabils. this is the closest genome to cannabis and has enzymes which nearly perfect match to thc synthase. so the red xylem may be at the very heart of potency/acclimation. some reading if you like. super cool man

tetraploid from cold desert https://www.eresearchco.com/article...t-higher-altitude-himalayasa-neglected-bu.pdf

uttakarhand triploid- https://www.mdpi.com/2223-7747/11/20/2736

aneuploid from shimla

InkedScreenshot 2023-04-04 at 15-23-56 41 Suman Kaushal Kangra.pdf.jpg

red mulberry xylem

1680636548153.png

Latest posts

Latest posts