What's new

Calling all Tree top growers

GrnMtFinn

What about flyovers and FLIR thermal imaging? I understand that you'd want to put them in a nice open spot in the tree, but can enough light penetrate the canopy of the tree to promote good marijuana photosynthesis? Also, if the spot is too open to sunlight, wouldn't it be easy to spot by choppers? I live in Vermont and I'm not sure exactly how rigorous the state is with their flyovers anymore. My pops used to tell me horror stories from the early 90s.

G

Guest129216

I had thought about doing that years ago but never got around to it. It is a great idea the only problem with telling everyone is if LEO's come on these forums then they would know and spread the word and before you know it, it will become standard to look in trees too....but it is a great idea if you are dedicated and don't mind climbing trees.....

I wouldn't be too worried about LEO's(cops?) starting to look in trees. The idea have been around for years. The guy in the beginning of this thread is the best example of someone completing it I've seen. The reason for this is that there is less work and much more product if you do it on the ground I think. Treegrowing is for people with a special interest in climbing, or just doing something different. If it was such an amazing idea, we would have seen a lot more people doing it...

What about flyovers and FLIR thermal imaging? I understand that you'd want to put them in a nice open spot in the tree, but can enough light penetrate the canopy of the tree to promote good marijuana photosynthesis? Also, if the spot is too open to sunlight, wouldn't it be easy to spot by choppers? I live in Vermont and I'm not sure exactly how rigorous the state is with their flyovers anymore. My pops used to tell me horror stories from the early 90s.

Choppers I don't know about, they don't use it to look for weedplants here... But I lived in Vermont in the late 90's(love that state) and remember that they used it. Considering light penetration it's all about finding the right tree, and that should be no problem in Vermont. Nice to see a Vermonter again by the way:)

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
any of you thought about employing the single or double rope technique to help you climb trees. This would allow you to carry yourself and supplies up by rope if done right and would save you a lot of time and energy.

averagejoe

treetop.jpg

got bored, and got paint happy... smoking another bowl.. haha.

just a little illustration of what the old lady and myself plan for 1 or 2 tree plots, possibly 3-4 plants per tree..and 2 water buckets per tree.

all buckets are 5gal standard buckets..

i would add droppers(water tap) to the reservoirs so they would give a drop of water every 5 seconds or so. plants would get like 100ml a day or whatever, you can always calculate and open the tap a little more when the plants need it.

im thinking of using these things for pots:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=122080 (grow bags)

and maby if to go without reservour then i would put like 25%perlite and 25% vermiculite into soil mix, and maby even some water gel. these things pack so much water in them so you wouldn't have to water them very often.

what do you people think? btw i would join the club if there was one :D

Last edited:

Michmartin

This is sick!

The idea sound great to me. I want to try it.
It's still very cold here so maybe a month before I can put plants outside.

Mr Apricot

i considered drip systems, and i decided to make designs witha water rez below, wicking up into the medium.Gonna camo these 3.75 gallon buckets with some burlap ghilli suits, and natural camouflage from the tree. They are sort of like earthbuckets, but, up in trees

microgram

You don't want it to be noticeable though.
imho, running a water line up the tree would work just fine, just hide it on one of the branches that you can get to. assuming you plant near a water source. (then pump the water up when you need...)

GrnMtFinn

you guys you guys you guys. I found the perfect tree! A big ol' ancient Gymnosperm. (Hemlock). I was in the woods and decided I'd go tree climbing. It's probably about 60 or 70 feet off the ground and the branches are all fairly strong. The top is nice and bushy and the plant would face south in direction with exposure from north through 270 degrees to the west. It is blocked from view from other homes in the area and the road by some maples. A little stream runs beneath it for an easy water supply. I will have to water frequently, as my area is most often breezy. So I'm going to set up a pulley system tomorrow in different levels. I'm in deer and moose country, so this may be my only assured opportunity to harvest. Growing in a tree. Fuck yes. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
I have found some good trees too. I have found a few trees growing near rivers or creeks that have fallen and are leaning into healthy trees. The fallen trees are still in good enough shape to climb and they lean just enough to climb. Once I am in the other tree I climb higher and that's where I plan to grow. Very unlikely my plants would be seen being that there high in the trees where people don't travel anyway. If someone is traveling through its doubtful they'll climb through the thickets and then they would have to look up. Choppers aren't really looking in these types of trees im climbing either. they are looking for marijuana on the ground.
although i will have some down there too.

It might be possible to build a solar still high up in the tree to collect water from the air. Not sure of the practicality of this and how big it would have to be to collect enough water for your plant, but just an idea.

GrnMtFinn

well, the climb is fun and i do it a couple times a day as it is just for kicks. so lugging water won't be that bad. the pulley system i set up was helpful for getting the plywood platform up there. bom, or someone who has done this before: at what stage of growth do you put the plants up in the tree? I am starting from seed, no clones. I assume they have to get pretty hardy before they are exposed to the elements up there in the sky. but the stems should get nice and thick.

yo i dont know about this. im in shape, but im not trying to die or anything. i tried climbing a few trees in the woods, and its so sketch. the bottom branches are all dead, and those are what i would have to use to climb to the top where the plants would be. any word on tree climbing gear? whats needed, how expensive is that shit? this is too dangerous for me, and not often i saw that. falling would probably be the end.

Has anyone considered using the tomato pots that hang upside down? Do you think the plant would grow straight down like w/ tomatos or do you think it would bend and grow towards the sun? Do they contain enough medium to sustain a decent root mass? Maybe I'm crazy..

Hello trees growers. sorry ive been gone so long. been really busy. I'm glad to see the tread has been doing good.

Africanherbman, great question with the tomato planters. yes i believe they would work but when u plant anything upside down, the plants auxins (plant hormones) will force the plant to grow in the direction of the big fire ball in the sky. And if I remeber correctly its only a Gal or two of soil so dont expect more than a few onces from the tom planter. im sure they would do really well on a pully system if a grower only had 1 tree in the yard to hide his plants in.