What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY - Homemade Grow Bags

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't like to waste material and I also don't like to buy grow products if I can avoid it.

I had some empty spaces in my cab that were too small to fit a pot in, but seemed large enough to grow something there.

I figured grow bags would be good but I didn't have any and the ones I've seen seem a bit wide.

I had some scraps of Panda film laying around and I also have a 12" impulse sealer, so I got the idea to try to make some homemade grow bags to fit into those spaces.

Here's how I made mine.

First lay out some Panda film

picture.php

The pieces of Panda film I use to make bags, are approx 14" x 20".

The piece of Panda film above is approx 56" x 20".

We will cut this into 4 pieces, each approx 14" x 20". This allows us to make 4 bags from the one piece above.

picture.php

picture.php

Here's a ruler showing the approx lengths of each side (14" x 20")

picture.php

picture.php

Here's the impulse sealer and 2 cut pieces of Panda film that will be used to make 2 bags

Before starting this you should test seal 2 small pieces of Panda film together so your impulse sealer will be at the right settings when making these bags.

(The dial on the impulse sealer below was set a little above 3)

picture.php

Fold the Panda film in half along the 14" side. This will make your bag approximately 7" x 20"

picture.php

The bottom of the bag needs to be sealed, so put it into the sealer

picture.php

Press down on the handle, it should click/seal

picture.php

Release the handle and the bottom should be sealed

picture.php

I usually seal the bottom twice

picture.php

Next you have to seal the side. Since the sides are 20" and the impulse sealer is only 12", we have to do the sides in 2 steps.

First step is to seal from the bottom up as high as the sealer will reach.

picture.php

My sealer kind of makes a small hole in the plastic at the end of the 12", but thats not a big deal because it is in the seam and not the side.

picture.php

Now you have to seal from the end of where the first seal left off, up to the top of the bag. So put that part of the bag on the sealer and seal it.

picture.php

After you have released the sealer handle, remove the bag.

picture.php

The bag is finished and ready for use.

Here is a black bag and a white bag made from scrap Panda film.

picture.php

Here's some examples of different plants grown in these bags.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

These bags are all the same size, just the plant sizes are different.

The bags hold a bit less than 2 gals of soil.

I don't like drain holes in my grow bags, so I don't make any. You could always cut holes/slits in the bottom if you want them.

without drain holes??

I assume you feed very weak as to not have to deal with nutrient accumulation?
Do you ever have to flush?

Whats your soil / feeding like?

Those are CFL plants? If so - very nice!

Thanks

peace
pm

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
without drain holes??

I assume you feed very weak as to not have to deal with nutrient accumulation?
Do you ever have to flush?

Whats your soil / feeding like?

Those are CFL plants? If so - very nice!

Thanks

peace
pm

Naw as I said, I don't like drain holes so I don't make em.

If you want drain holes, you could cut slits in the bottom or cut off the bottom corners of the bag.

I only water with tap the whole time.

I've been re-using my soil for the last 2 years. When I'm done growing in it, I run the root ball through a 1/2" hardware cloth screen. This allows little pieces of root to go back into the soil bringing it's micro herd with it. I then add meals, guano, plantone, lime, water, mix and let sit. Then re-use it when I need it.

Those plants above were all grown under a 600w hps. They were stuck into empty spaces so I wasn't wasting light.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Nice one dude. Is there any particular reason to having white on the outside on some, but white on the inside on others?

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice one dude. Is there any particular reason to having white on the outside on some, but white on the inside on others?

At first I made some black black bags that would absorb the light to help keep the roots warmer during the winter.

Then I made some white bags when I had a smaller plant I needed to keep closer to the light. I didn't want the bag heating up and getting too warm, and since the bag was up higher, it also reflected light back onto other plants.

ZEROorDIE

very cool. just had to pay out the ass to get my grow bags. $5 + $11 for shipping wtf

how much was the sealer dohickey?

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
very cool. just had to pay out the ass to get my grow bags. $5 + $11 for shipping wtf

how much was the sealer dohickey?

I bought the sealer on ebay a couple years ago for like 30 bucks shipped. It looks like they've gone up a bit, to about mid to upper 40s for a 12" sealer. If you pay a bit more you can get a 16" sealer.

I don't know how much you are actually going to save by making your own grow bags with Panda, they are about comparable to buying them in base price.

The advantages to making your own would be you can make whatever size you want, you can make/not make drain holes, you can make them black or white and panda is 6 mils thick, so they are very durable bags (I re-use them over and over).

A

Azeotrope

NICE DIY! I can just picture all the hobbiests/micro growers stealing their gals hair straightener/iron to try and avoid the sealer purchase.LOL Again - Very nice!

BigGuns90

This is da shit! i hate paper&glue quality diys mut this is da shit really... Keep going and please update more ur diys!!

Latest posts

Latest posts