What's new

****Cab of Dreams ~ 110 plant SoG w/ HPS****

White

jaysplifferton, thanks for the comments.Looking back, there were a few times I wanted to quit. But now that I'm done and about to start my grow, I can't imagine not following through with this. It's a dream coming true. Don't worry man, I'm humble and won't be overwhelmed with my new circumstances.

Kaotic, I'm sure it's the same one, Suncourt right? I have yet to test it out w/ the carbon filter, but I'm sure it will work fine.

Well, I have pics for you all, but they're gonna have to wait 'till the morning, my computer is being retarded.

I put the finishing touches on the cabs: caulked the gaps against the wall, foam sealed the small gaps in the cab, hung my HPS, touched up paint and the "ceilings," and put on the weather stripping.

I only have two problems left to fix.First, I only have 16" from the floor of my flower cab to the HPS light ( minus 6" for the bottles ). The only solution I can think of is to cut the floor out of my flower cab and get 6 extra inches. Any thoughts? I'm continually surprised at how impossible it is to plan for this shit.

Second, my weather stripping kicks the bottom corner out because the bottom latch isn't strong enough. I'll just get bigger latches.

Good news, my carbon filter will fit perfectly.

The cabs look beautiful, can't wait to show 'em to you all. Pics in the morning. Stay up and stay safe.

Peace,
White

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Hey White, can't wait to see the pics!

I have exactly 16'' between my floor and 150 minus the 6'' in pots. I could get 19'' at max. I've seen some people go as far as to do what they call a reverses scrog. You just train the plants so that they are only a couple of inches above the soil line.

Tie the bitches down or die trying!

White

Hey catman,
thanks for the idea, but would that really be easily accomplished with my 90-100 plants? I don't know man. If I went w/ scrog I'd probably need to do less plants.

With less plants, I could veg longer to get the same yield... but it'd take longer than flowering right away once the clones are rooted. I don't know.

I think 16" (if I cut the bottom out) will definitely be enough room. Not as much as I'd like, but it'll do for now. My next cab will have a lot more height.

If it works, that's cool. But I don't feel comfortable changing my game plan right before I start. I'm still open though.

Peace,
White

C

cork144

sensi star will be your best friend for height restrictions, seen 3inch clones finish at 10 inches on this site.

White

I'm growing ICE from Nirvana, and whatever surprise Kaotic sent me. So at least one sativa hybrid. I'll have to flower at 2"-4" (I'll have to find the sweet spot to be sure).

That's why I need every inch I can get.

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Haha, oops.. totatlly forgot about your SoG approach.

When you say 2''-4'' what exactly are you talking about? From soil to tip of plant.. or the height of true leafs..or something else? Like with everything else we do in Micro...these little details are very important.

16" does seem like enough room, I mean it should be if you're growing like Dr. Bud, but when the growth gets to within a couple inches of the HPS, that might give you some problems with heat shock or even a fire risk (maybe? I never have used HPS). Did you end up installing a light mover mechanism? Cuz that could mitigate these effects, at least to an extent. Also, perhaps a cooltube could save you some stress at this prospect.

Then again, once you're working from clone, I'm sure you could find a way to "dial it in" so that it grows just the height you want it via using an exact amount of soil and flowering at an exact time. That seems to be the crux of the Dr.Bud method. If worst comes to worst maybe a form of training would be appropriate, for 100 plants tho that could be the biggest pain in the ass I've ever heard of... yeah, scratch that.

Is there a superfluous part of your HPS or reflector that could be done away with to make more room? That's probably the simplest way to free up space if it's a possibility at all. I've seen some pictures of micro cabs on here where it just looks like a light bulb socket, but I know from hydro shops and being in people's houses that many times HID fixtures have a lot of extra BS attached to them... tough to say, but it's all I got right now.

I'm sure once you get some pics up, someone with a bigger brain than me will be able to swoop in here and give you an answer. Isn't it the worst when you're so close you can taste it, but there's more and more minute logistical details that just keep cropping up? That's how you know you're gonna have some thing good when you get done.

much love bra

"don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he he always wanted. he lived happily ever after" - Willy Wonka

C

cork144

dr bud would be pissed if he saw you saying he is using hps

hes a cfl man.

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Great job White! I can't wait to see the pictures. And yes, always plan for surprises, twice the coin, and three times the amount of man hours!

White

Morning guys,
Yeah, the HPS is setup with a glass bottom and vented sides. I wish I could mod it, but it's such a nice light that I'll leave it alone. Yeah, training 90-100 plants would be a major PITA.

I never said DrBud was using HPS, just me :) I had the lights before I started construction and didn't want them to go to waste. I'll get bigger buds with HPS too.

Catman, I'm talking about the actual height of the plant, from soil to top of clone.

And yes, always plan for surprises, twice the coin, and three times the amount of man hours!

Truer words were never spoken.

Pics up in an hour or so, right here.

Peace,
White

White

Here They Are!!!

The finished cabs.

lights off:

picture.php

lights on:

picture.php

Wish I could get more pics, but of course my battery had to die and my charger had to disappear.

I just need to mount the ballast and put up the piece of wood in front of it to hide it. Then do a little touch up paint and cosmetic work on the outside of the cabs. But, I think they're pretty sexy as of right now, if I don't say so myself. This took a lot of labor, love and a good amount of money, but it's done now and worth it all.

I'll only be happier when I'm smoking my first harvest. Stay up and stay safe everyone. I'll be growing within the week.

Peace,
White

K.J

Veteran
Very, very nice! It's worth all the hard work in the end, isn't it!

Are you going to be doing more stealth work to them? Or is that much of an issue?

White

Thank you very much K.J. And yes, it was worth every minute of work I put into it.

It's pretty stealth already. All holes will be blocked once the ventilation is installed. Once that board is up (the one on the far left) you won't even know there's a ballast there.

The only thing you'll notice is the sound of the fans. But, I'll be getting a nice fish tank eventually and I'll maintain that my cabs contain my servers, hence the locks and ventilation.

Peace,
White

Sweet-ass setup. I think dialing it in is the only way to go for the flower cab. You'll get a nice foot of bud from each plant. Good to see your baby again; nobody puts baby in the corner! Well-done like I like my burger. Wish you the best, white

White

I think dialing it in is the only way to go for the flower cab. You'll get a nice foot of bud from each plant... Wish you the best, white

Yeah man, that's what I've planned all along, I can't imagine changing now. I'll get up to 16" for my plants (plus 6 more inches for the bottles) with the vented hood, they'll be fine. Can't wait man. Thanks for the well wishes.

Thundurkel said:
I am sooooooo jealous!!! I love your cab setup bro that is what I'm talking about!!

I gotta be careful, or all this praise is gonna go to my head :) I really appreciate the kind words though, I put a lot of work into this and paid attention to the details. So it means a lot when others give compliments.

I just wish I was an engineer, then things would go more according to plan. But I've learned a lot from this build. And I'll be able to take that knowledge to my next cabinet build. If you think this has been good, (it has been and is great, of course) then my next cab will blow everything away. It'll be cool because I can then use my current cabs for breeding (my next dream project) and mass cloning. And use my Monster Cab for major flowering.

Anyways, I'm very happy with what I have now and very pleased with how it turned out. I hope the seeds arrived today.

Btw, my eyes still hurt from my HPS, I gotta wear shades next time I'm around that 400W supernova mother fucker.

Stay up and stay safe.

Peace,
White

White

Well, first thing I did today when I got home was check the mail.

And sure enough, on top of two letters sat a small manila envelope. I nearly jumped up in the air for joy when I saw the foreign postage and coustoms declaration on the back. But instead I got it out of the box and went to talk to my neighbor across the street.

It was great, holding the seeds in my hand, talking with the neighbor who was none the wiser. And I'm thinking something like 'these are seeds of fucking destiny,' or something epic like that. Well, I'll pop 'em into a wet paper towel inside a ziplock baggie tonight.

:woohoo:

Peace,
White

K.J

Veteran
Well, first thing I did today when I got home was check the mail.

And sure enough, on top of two letters sat a small manila envelope. I nearly jumped up in the air for joy when I saw the foreign postage and coustoms declaration on the back. But instead I got it out of the box and went to talk to my neighbor across the street.

It was great, holding the seeds in my hand, talking with the neighbor who was none the wiser. And I'm thinking something like 'these are seeds of fucking destiny,' or something epic like that. Well, I'll pop 'em into a wet paper towel inside a ziplock baggie tonight.

:woohoo:

Peace,
White

Dude, that's aweso...I mean, that's EPIC! Epic...that's some funny shit. Did you have the theme from 2001 looping through your head too?

:laughing:

Glad you finally got them. Can't wait to see their little sprouts come up!

White

Thanks K.J. and JamieShoes. I can't wait 'till they sprout, it's gonna be great.

K.J. said:
Did you have the theme from 2001 looping through your head too?

That would be really funny. But I was saying to myself "HOLY FUCK I GOT MY SEEDS IN MY HAND" over and over again. After losing the last shipment, it was good to get 'em.

Speaking of seeds...

Woo-hoo more seeds! I got 30 new seeds from a friend. Well, 16 because 14 got crushed in transit. FUCK!

I have:

10 Bushy Sativa x Speed Queen

2 Speed Queen :( I hope they pop, they're damaged.

4 KI x ML (not sure what that is, damaged a bit too)

So, i have 26 seeds germinating counting my ICE. I started those last night, so things should be poppin around the same time.

I worked on light proofing my cab last night and I'm pretty much as ready as I'll ever be.

Stay up and stay safe. And say a prayer for my damaged seeds, they need all the help they can get.

Peace,
White

pics up around friday. btw, I feel like a mother hen right now. I have the seeds in a ziplock under my shirt against my stomach to keep 'em warm and out of sight as I work :)