What's new

****Cab of Dreams ~ 110 plant SoG w/ HPS****

White

Welcome one and all. This has been a long Journey so far. This thread starts at the design process, follows the build process of my Cabs, goes through changes in design. Life and shit happen, but I pull it all together and continue onto finishing and starting mothers, taking clones and trying to get a perpetual SCRoG run by HPS off the ground. And yes, eventually, I'll get 100+ plants running (maybe not all in my original flower cab), just bear with me... We'll get there, I promise.

Stay up and stay safe.

Peace,

White 3/27/09

Now you can quickly and easily find Important Posts with this time line below. It is linked to all my major posts, so you can have a reference to the history of Cab of Dreams. Listed by most recent first.

Enjoy!

- THE FLOWER CLOSET IS ALIVE!!! WE'RE IN BUSINESS 4/20/09

- THE FLOWER CAB IS ALIVE!!! 3/31/09

- MAKING CLONES THE RIGHT WAY 3/27/09

- CLONES MADE, TRIM SMOKED :) 2/25/09

- LET THERE BE SPROUTS 2/7/09

- SEEDS ARRIVED, SPROUTING NOW 2/3/09

- CABS ARE INSTALLED AND DONE, WAITING ON SEEDS 2/2/09

- ORGANIC SOIL MIXED, JUST OVER A WEEK AWAY FROM
SPROUTING 1/23/09

- NEARING COMPLETION OF CONSTRUCTION 1/14/09

- AFTER DELAY, WORK RESUMES 12/31/08

- SEEDS LOST IN MAIL 12/8/08

- BAD TIMES HAPPENED, SLOWED PROGRESS 11/28/09

- FINALLY GOT SOME PICS 11/19/08

My first post ever :) ...

Hey Everyone! Glad to finally start this thread. I've been planning this setup for months now and it's finally taking shape. I got my cabinets Monday night and I sanded, primed and painted them last night (luckily, since I lost half my paint from falling through the plastic bag on my handle bars). Man did I get high off those fumes.

I'm new here at IC and this will be my first grow posted here. I was reading OG back when I was 13 and always dreamed of having my own house to grow in (despite growing plantlets in my parents attic :bashhead: ). Well, I'm grown now and have a place of my own. So let the growing begin :rasta:

Anyways, on with it. Here's my design I'm working from:

63340Untitled-1copy-med.jpg

I credit DrBud for the SoG 16 plant per sq ft idea *** Reconsidered this, Ill bee using SCRoG for a better yield. I decided that SoG is good and I'll test it, but SCRoG requires less plants and has better yield. *** he is truly a master that I've learned many things from :respect:

I purchased a 400W Sun System HPS light 2 months ago off craigslist (w/ a MH also) and I didn't want it to go to waste, so I decided to use it instead of CFLs. It will give me a better yield for sure, but there's some heat issues with using a 430W HPS bulb in ~6 sq ft. So, I came up with a solution:

63340Untitled-2_copy-thumb.jpg

I'll attach flexible dryer ducting to a cool tube that will attach to a fan/duct which will exhaust into my attic. *Side note: all my exhaust will vent into my attic. I'm using the flexible ducting to attach to the cooltube because my light will be on a light mover and must compress when the light moves to the right side of the cab and extend when the light moves to the left side. I know dryer duct creates drag and I'll probably have to replace it every now and then from all that flexing, but hey, it's worth it.

I think that covers all the main points. Mother/clone cab will use CFL. I'll have a carbon filter, of course; it's the black box in the upper right of my flower chamber. And I'll be using darkroom vents for stealth air intake. The design is pretty straightforward (simple is always better) with innovation mostly on this light mover/flexible ducting.

Peace,
White

Last edited:

White

Hey, thanks guys. I'm excited to see this come together myself. After all this time, it's finally happening. Yeah, if you count all my clones and mothers I might be close to 150, we'll see. I might be right at 100 in my flower cab (hence the ~), due to making room for my vents in the floor.

Thanks for stopping by guys, I'll try and keep this updated frequently.

Quazi

Hey man! That's quite a plan you've got there.

Good luck with the magic 99! You've got more guts than I.

A light mover? Sheesh. I dunno.

Quick thing though: you've got your light positioned incorrectly within your flowering chamber if you don't use one. The light is emitted from the lamp in a horizontal fashion with very little coming from the tips.

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty with your image and grayed out the areas that will be receiving less than ample light in that configuration:
57386badlight.jpg

Just rotate your light so that it is sitting width-ways instead of length-ways in your cab and you'll be good to go!

I don't know, maybe you're set on the light-mover, but it seems in such a small space it may be overkill.

Good luck with your travels!

-Q :rasta:

Last edited:

White

Thanks for the tip Quazi. I had an inspiration at Home Depot last night on building the light mover, it's actually easy. I just need to figure out the motor controls. If it's too much of a pain in the ass, I'll take your advice and mount it the other way.

Hey Nav, thanks for stopping by man. Good seeing you guys here. I'll hope to have some pics up by the end of the weekend. Later.

Peace,
White

Last edited:

Quazi

Y'know, the more I look at it, the more I realize that it may be better to configure the lamp the other way despite the light mover if you can.

The logic being that you wouldn't be removing quite so many plants from the light when the source is moved away from them. With that being the case, you wouldn't need to move the light as much which means saving energy; also good.

Sorry, just another :2cents:

-Q :rasta:

Last edited:

White

I took some measurements last night while brainstroming my lighting a bit more and it's only three inches on both sides that aren't covered with my current position. The pic I made isn't to scale in that regard, my cab is 24" deep and the HPS is ~18". I don't think those three inches are too much huh? I always strive to keep it simple, but I think I have no choice to build/buy the light mover because of the longer length of the cab (over 2x the length of my light; which with the low height, wouldn't cover the other half).

Anyways, just ramblin. Did some carpentry last night and have a bit more to do and another trip to Home de Pot tonight. Later guys.

Peace,
White

Last edited:
wow you 100 plants huh, thats going to keep ya busy keeping up with. Im pulling up a chair and loading another bowl. good luck man!

alphacat

Brainstroming. Heh.

It's always cool to see peoples' plans for "dream grows" - but they so often turn into vaporware. Don't let that happen to this project... make us proud!

:rasta:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Nice idea bro,I'm working on my dream at the moment also same idea just less plants so we can trade tips as they come together..

White

Hey guys, thanks for stopping by. I made the trip to the Depot today. Got all the supplies I need (I think). I play "spot the stoner" when I'm there and quickly realized (as I was getting on my bycicle and pulling a shopping cart full of garden & random building supplies) that I probably fit the profile :smile:

Anyways, all is well, the cabs need a bit more carpentry and my lighting is coming together. The brainstorming I was refering to was about my light mover that I'm building. Link: DIY Light Mover
I take your advice to heart alphacat, and I hope to make you guys proud. Thundurkel, sounds great, I'd love to share tips, your grows always go great. We're pretty similar too, I'm also doing DrBuds SOG. But, I'm probably gonna do compost teas instead of Schultz, still doing superthrive though.

Well, I'm ordering my beans this week and starting to mix my soil up so it can chill for a while before I plant (in about two weeks). By the time this is all done, It'll probably be a long thread, this is from the ground floor to finish. Enjoy the ride.

Peace,
White

K

krushonkush

I think you will like this Tick's sogn box

I'm sure you saw it back at OG...?Its the granddaddy sog box really yea and the stars green writing thing. come on man..... :jerkit:

White

Thanks for the link krush, that guy was amazing. You don't like the green? Maybe pink? Nah, I like green still. Pics are coming, there's not too much to see right now, just finishing the cabs, these past couple of days have been busy, but this week, I'll be getting a lot more done. Later guys.

Peace,
White

CC Rider

right on man...im lookin forward to some pics....really hope you succeed my friend...100 plants is alot of work...ill send you some positive thoughts and prayers!! (not that you need it hehe)

White

Just talked to the camera store, $40 for a charger I'll be picking up today. Pics tomorrow.
Peace,
White

ooga booga

I guess we'll get to see the EZ example of the truth in action, performed by ANY idiot (hope you're at least at par with any idiot, or "ANYBODY") to pull a minimum of 2.34 gpw. :jump:

Hope you don't let us down.

DrBudGreengenes said:
This is a EZ example of the truth....
ANY Idiot with 1/2 a brain a 430HID and an Ebb & Flow table can grow more than 1GPW.... :bashhead:

4x4 table...holds 144 4" rockwool cubes
7 grams dried is EZ with any strain.
So we take 144 x 7 we get 1008
144 cuts
Producing 7 grams dried
is 1008 grams per 8 weeks from a 430HPS
that is 36 ozs
2,25LBs so still sooooooo Hard to understand a SOG done correctly?
1008 / 430 = 2.34 grams per watt
10 grams per cut ...
1440 / 430 = 3.34 GPW
The same thing can be done on a smaller scale with CFL's

**And I will say it again NO you can not grow TREES inside with CFL's....I never said you could .....but the tips of the branches can EZly be grown with them...and last time I checked the budz were on the BRANCHES not the BIG ass stem in the middle of most HID grown trees....trees are an outside toy.**

I'm not GOD ....I'm just a guy that has been messin' with my Gurl MJ for 28 years now....ANYBODY can do it.
:smoker:

Latest posts

Latest posts