What's new

****Cab of Dreams ~ 110 plant SoG w/ HPS****

White

ooga booga said:
I guess we'll get to see the EZ example of the truth in action, performed by ANY idiot (hope you're at least at par with any idiot, or "ANYBODY") to pull a minimum of 2.34 gpw. :jump:

Hope you don't let us down.

I don't post for haters like you to put their 2 cents in. People that are open minded and positive are welcome here, not clowns like you. Take your childish posts elsewhere.

White

EDIT: I'm glad we made nice :smile:

Last edited:
C

cork144

looking good dude my new bedroom cab will be done in a month and ill be having similar plant numbers in a similar space, im using 360watts of PL-L lighting though.

also you will be better off mounting the cooltube differently, raise the plants furthest away from the bulb above the others like a mini stadium so you get the most out of your lights.

Last edited:

zlock

wow, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread! Good luck man!
and BTW, you mean to tell me that you rode your bicycle from Home Depot pulling a shopping cart full of gardening supplies and stuff back to your house?!?! you must live right nextdoor to the store, huh! haha
Good luck man, hope it works out good for you!

White

Thanks for the kind words guys, feeling kinda shitty right now. Besides some family stuff going on, I found out that my lighting isn't gonna work the way I wanted it to (after building everything for it last night) I'm gonna have to hard mount my HPS and put CFLs around the edges to supplement the light and just hand rotate my plants. PITA!

I forgot my camera charger last night at work, but there's not much to see yet (especially after last nights scrapping of all my work) I'll throw a pic up of my cabs tomorrow for you guys for sure though, promise. I'm gonna start on my ventilation tonight or tomorrow.

Good news though, beans are ordered. Got ICE and Jock Horror from Nirvana.

BTW, you mean to tell me that you rode your bicycle from Home Depot pulling a shopping cart full of gardening supplies and stuff back to your house?!?! you must live right nextdoor to the store, huh! haha

Yes, a whole mile+ during rush hour. I ride it everywhere, since I lost my license. Man did I get some looks :smile: especially while riding in the road for a stretch. Good times.

Peace,
White

White

In what way did it not work? I'm curious, did it just not fit physically, or the footprint wasn't optimal, or...?

I built a track for a light mover and the light was too low. I wouldn't have enough vertical room for my plants. But with it hard mounted to the top of my cab, I'll have 18" or more.

Just finished working on the cab, I actually got pics of tonights progress. Now I need to find my card reader in all my moving boxes. These pics have been a fucking nightmare, sorry mates. But rest assured, progress is being made :smile:

Once I get the last bit of the cab done (doors re-mounted and two support pieces) i just need to mount my lights and run my ventilation. Then it's just waiting on my seeds.

Peace,
White

ooga booga

Have you considered building something like an inverted / bent bar or similar to mount on to the light mover, so that it raises the hood just as high as the "ceiling"?

White

No, hadn't thought about it really. But that would work actually. Do you have any details or some pics I could get some ideas from? Hey, what's going on, between you and DrBud man? I wish things didn't have to get nasty. Anyways, thanks for the tip. Btw, i'm glad we can keep it civil. Later.

Peace,
White

ooga booga

White said:
No, hadn't thought about it really. But that would work actually. Do you have any details or some pics I could get some ideas from?
Yeah, this idea was actually taken from the Light Rail 5:

See those bent bars? I'm thinking kinda like that... I mean, same concept, definitely different design since you're using a single light mounted directly under the drive motor.

Either that or lose about 5" and mount the hood directly onto the drive trolley... but I have a feeling you've already tried that and 5" is too expensive.

Yet another option would be to modify the hood so that the mover is incorporated into it for a lower profile, but I don't like that idea at all as it doesn't leave a lot of room for flexibility in upgrades, change of setup, etc. Plus messing up mint equipment.

Or... mount the hood to the side of the motor (with the rail just a little bit off-center), and with a counterweight on the other side to balance the motor. Better than the last option, but still not great.

Finally the last one I can possibly come up with at this hour is maybe building an extra slave trolley that will hook up to the drive trolley in a linear mode, and simply be pulled and pushed indirectly rather than hanging off the main drive motor. Of course this slave trolley will need to be extra low-profile.

Alternatively, you could use some angle bars or I-beam type structure to run 2 sets of rails side-by-side, 1 holding the drive trolley and one to guide the slave trolley. The slave trolley is attached to the master/drive using the rigid beam/bar, which will drag it along.

White said:
Hey, what's going on, between you and DrBud man? I wish things didn't have to get nasty. Anyways, thanks for the tip. Btw, i'm glad we can keep it civil.
I called DrBudGreengenes out on his string & scheme of lies, and he's since been out to dig up and comb through every single piece of information on me (including personal information) and point out anything he can to try to discredit me. Kinda like how he combed through many many pages of my construction thread to point out that a power strip was on the floor during construction, and what a rookie and noob safety mistake that is and how I'll "never make it". LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I have no qualms about you. But just to warn you, if in the future you decide to lie and tell us you pulled 20 lbs off this grow, you and I might not get along.

Last edited:

ooga booga

Here's what I have visualized for the low-profile pull/push slave configuration:

61961WhiteRail.gif

I think this might be the easiest (and quite possibly also the most reliable) modification you can make to your already existing system.

White

Thanks for all the input man, great ideas. I think we came to the same conclusion. Right before falling asleep, I got the idea in an instant. It's so easy:

Like you said, mount the light on top of the rollers. I already was gonna use 4 rollers on two tracks, but with one frame for it to all sit on. Now, I just need to make two frames, spread 'em apart and mount the light in the center.

Brilliant! I don't know why I couldn't think of this before. I was sitting in my garage for quite some time Monday, trying to figure this out but couldn't (after building it all and failing). I'm glad this is gonna work. Thanks again for the input.

Peace,
White

Too bad about you and Doc not getting along. Hope it works out. And, no, I won't be pulling 20 lbs. from this grow. I'd be VERY happy with 2 lbs from this cab.

Last edited:

White

About Damn Time

About Damn Time

Finally, camera is charged and card is read. That took too long.

Here's my flower cab when I started last night:

Here's my flower cab when I finished last night:

Marked the wood:

Drilled and Doweled:

The carpentry is done on my mother cab. And I just got a little to do on this flower cab before I'm done. Later.

Peace,
White

ooga booga

Wow, very professional, clean carpentry work! Not that I'd know what to look for, but it certainly looks like you've done this professionally before. I'm very impressed with the whole project even though I haven't seen anything but an empty cab; seeing just the care and attention given here shows that the rest will be well thought-out and executed.

A lot of :respect: for not only the skills, but the level of details and enthusiasm.

And again, excellent work on the gantry crane design on the mover.

(And nice tools, too! I had to go get a bunch of tools since I pretty much didn't have much more than a few screw drivers and a drill until now... and those Rigid tools you have pictured are pretty dang nice. I had to settle with a fleet of Ryobi gear.)

Last edited:

ooga booga

Hey, quick off-topic question on tools since you know this stuff a lot better than I do...

I'm looking for as close to an "all purpose" saw for my future workshop & growsites (need them to all be portable), and wondering what the best start would be... a miter saw, or table saw? I'm leaning towards a miter saw since I can't see the table saw being too useful for anything in growroom construction.

I'm just thinking the miter saw will let me cut a bunch of 2x4's perfectly square for framing, etc, as well as allow me to work on special things like cutting metal, PVC, etc.

I saw a pretty decent looking Ryobi (yeah I'm hooked on their cheap gear) miter saw w/ sliding arm (for bigger workpieces) for something like $200 at Home Depot. The Rigid and other versions are, as usual, roughly 2x more $$ and I don't personally think I'll be using these things often enough to want to pay the premium.

What do you think, get the miter saw or just learn to make do with a circular?

(I forgot whether PMs can be read @ 50 or 75 posts, so that's why I'm posting here.)

There is a rigid miter saw(10") for around $200 at my local home depot and lowes, great quality(between consumer reviews and my cousin who is a professional cabinet maker, saw it's highly recomended if you are on a low budget>

ooga booga

Does that Rigid miter saw have a sliding arm, like an arm saw? 'Cuz the Ryobi non-sliding, "regular" miter saw is like $100 (like I said, 50% of "real" brands)... and the arm/miter is $200.

I'm really not in tune with what brands have what reputation, but it seems like to me Rigid is a semi-high-end brand? Mid-grade? Maybe something along the lines of maybe an Infiniti, yet not quite Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc, as far as automobiles go? Feels like Ryobi is the "most value for your buck" with very similar feature list as the more expensive tools. So I'm wondering... what exactly is the difference between a Rigid $200 and Ryobi $100, besides brand reputation? Seems like very similar feature list, RPM + amperage rating, etc. Heavier duty motor for more robust, longer lasting tools when in a "professional" (8h/day, 5d/wk) environment?

White

Thanks for all the kind words. I really enjoy building, it gives me a lot of happiness and satisfaction. Once this cab is sanded and painted, It'll look brand new. I'm good for a PM, but this is fine, I love talking tools.

For your first all purpose saw, I'd recommend a worm drive saw. Here's a link: Worm Drive Saws

I recommend this because you wanted something portable and versatile. This will fit those requirements perfectly. And it will make those circular saws run home to their mommy. If you're looking to set up a shop go with a miter saw and worm drive first and then buy a table saw when you can afford it. I use a mitre and table saw and both are invaluable to have.

If you're looking for something professional, go Milwaukee or DeWalt; they're a bit more money but they will last many years if you take care of them. My Rigid drill has a lifetime replacement warranty, so that's a big plus. BTW, you're usually gonna pay more for an extendable arm on your saw because it allows you to cut wider material.

Hope this all helps. Just ask if you have any more questions.

Peace,
White