What's new

By far and without a doubt, the least expensive conventional, synthetic fertilizers

M

Milhouse

That is about the ratio i feed at. 1/2 tsp / gal of Scotts Professional and approx 1/4 tsp/gal of cal nit. I am not exact though in my measurements so it could swing a little either way. I never did 1:1 bc i only use this mix in flower and that seems like way too much N for flower.

I started to lower the concentration of the Calc Nit about 3-4 weeks before harvest. I supplemented with some cal/mag i had lying around.

I have run a pheno 3 times now and the best round with her was the latest with Scotts + calc nit. I also just finished a dtc99 that turned out great as well! I think I spent approx $100 on the Scotts and Calc Nit but have enough nutes to last a lifetime.....literally!

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
If your running by-the-books Jacks professional:

That said I'd give a warning to those following what *mistress* said a few pages back. I wasted a good part of a year with huge problems cuz of the 1:1 ratio and "3-5g/gal calnit" info he had posted.
If I'm not mistaken, it's a suggested ratio of 1:1 by volume if you run Jacks and their CalNit that I believe contains some filler. That is, the same size measuring spoon of each. Each and every time.

The recommended dosage translates into an EC ratio of approximately Jacks:CalNit::1:.66.

By weight, it's Jacks:CalNit::3.6:3, (I did that math in my head... from my notes its 18.98:15.11).

Plenty of documentation of successful grows with no supplements, no changes, just EC 1.2 straight through veg and flower in the PPK thread (a constant bottom-feed wick system/with automated timed top feed).

highdensity

A level 1/2 tsp. of Jacks 5-12-26 is approx. 3.6g.
A level 1/2 tsp. of CalNit is approx. 2.4g.

Just checked it on the scale. The Yara Liva CalNit is granular whereas the Jacks is almost a powder in comparison.

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
Is Yara the CalNit supplied from Jacks?

I am under the impression that it is not.

I am under the impression that the CalNit from Jacks has a filler that allows for the 1:1 volume measurement.

My ratio of Jacks:CalNit::1.25:1 by weight is based of the CalNit that is sold by Jacks.

If my impression is correct, and you use the Yara rather than the CalNit that can be co-ordered with Jacks measuring by volume, you will have a significantly increased concentration of CalNit over the specified formula.

If, however, you adjust your EC in the ratio above: that is add whatever volumes are necessary to make Jacks EC 1.0 and CalNit .66 per volume of water (i.e. adjust to your desired concentration by changing you RO added) you will be using a proven technique.

dexter840

according to my measurements... jack's cal nitrate and the jack's 5-12-26 both weigh in @ 3.6 gram per 1/2 teaspoon. personally i use 1.6 jack's cal nitrate and 2.4 jack's 5-12-26 per gallon and have been happy with the results.

highdensity

Is Yara the CalNit supplied from Jacks?

I am under the impression that it is not.

I am under the impression that the CalNit from Jacks has a filler that allows for the 1:1 volume measurement.

My ratio of Jacks:CalNit::1.25:1 by weight is based of the CalNit that is sold by Jacks.

If my impression is correct, and you use the Yara rather than the CalNit that can be co-ordered with Jacks measuring by volume, you will have a significantly increased concentration of CalNit over the specified formula.

If, however, you adjust your EC in the ratio above: that is add whatever volumes are necessary to make Jacks EC 1.0 and CalNit .66 per volume of water (i.e. adjust to your desired concentration by changing you RO added) you will be using a proven technique.

The Yara Liva is not from Jacks. I usually measure by weight.
You are using 1.25:1 Jacks to CalNit by weight. The JR Peters website says to use 1:.67 Jacks to CalNit by weight.(130oz of Jacks to 86oz of CalNit for 1000 gallons.)
It seems like that is a quite a bit more CalNit than the standard formula. I thought the 1:67 ratio was by weight and not by ec?
I've only been using Jacks a few weeks and I want to make sure I'm using it the best way.

Peace.

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
Strange all the way around.

I did ten measurements each on arrival of as uniform volume as I'm capable of, and weighed them... and did averages.

I then matched volume measurements, and dissolved into water with an EC meter.

That's the source of my numbers...

Strange inconsistencies all around.

weighed my prilled calnit from Hydro-gardens and jack's.

I got 5.4g /teaspoon for calnit and 5.7g/teaspoon for jacks.

My scale isn't a great one but seems close enough... at least that it's not .66 to 1.

highdensity

I think I will continue to weigh it, at least when mixing a full rez.
To mix a 25gal rez to full strength is easy. 90g Jacks and 60g CalNit. If that's to hot then u can use 75:50 or 60:40. Just keep it 3 parts Jacks to 2 parts Calnit by weight.
For easy addbacks when topping up I made up some liquid nutes with the Jacks. I used 3lbs Jacks mixed with RO water to make 1 gallon PartA. I used 2lbs Calnit mixed with RO water to make 1 gallon of PartB. Using 10ml each of A&B per gallon gives you a full strength mix.

petemoss

weighed my prilled calnit from Hydro-gardens and jack's.

I got 5.4g /teaspoon for calnit and 5.7g/teaspoon for jacks.

My scale isn't a great one but seems close enough... at least that it's not .66 to 1.

You can mix the Jack's + calcium nitrate by EC, by volume or by weight. Mixing by EC is the most accurate and by weight is the least. That's because the calcium nitrate absorbs water from the atmosphere and a given volume becomes significantly heavier over time.

I shoot for a nute EC of 1.5 and get there by mixing in Jack's to EC 0.9 and then add calcinit until total EC equals 1.5. If you don't have an EC meter, you're better off mixing equal volumes as the directions suggest.

tester

That's because the calcium nitrate absorbs water from the atmosphere and a given volume becomes significantly heavier over time.
I don't think this would make a significant difference especialy because these are in a prilled/granulated form further reducing the rate of water uptake from the atmosphere.

I can't find the MSDS for Jack's Calcium nitrate.
Is it really Calcium nitrate(Ca(NO3)2.4H2O)? What is the size of the granules?
Based on this link the guaranteed analysis is:
  • 15.5% N
  • 18% Ca

Yara's "Calcinit" is not Calcium nitrate but Calcium ammonium nitrate (5Ca(NO3)2NH4NO3.10H2O)
link to MSDS

Screen Analysis
2.0 - 4.0 mm = 90%
<2.0 mm = 10%

GA:
  • 14.5% NO3-N
  • 1% NH4-N
  • 19% Ca

I bought some calnit from another brand and when I got home and saw it I thought the guy at the shop had made some mistake. It looked like perlite, but rounder, almost seem is's gona float like that white thing they use for packing electronics but it dissolves easily in warm water. It seems the guy sold me the right thing...

M

Milhouse

You can mix the Jack's + calcium nitrate by EC, by volume or by weight. Mixing by EC is the most accurate and by weight is the least. That's because the calcium nitrate absorbs water from the atmosphere and a given volume becomes significantly heavier over time.

I shoot for a nute EC of 1.5 and get there by mixing in Jack's to EC 0.9 and then add calcinit until total EC equals 1.5. If you don't have an EC meter, you're better off mixing equal volumes as the directions suggest.

To further bolster Pete's point, When i bought my bag of Calc Nit, they warned me to keep it sealed or it would turn to mush. I dont think it matters much if its prilled, powdered, etc. It will still absorb water. For example, I spilled a few little beads of the Calc Nitrate on the top of the bag last nute mixing and a few days later touched the bag and it was extremely slimy and gooey where the CN was.

FWIW....This is exactly how mine looks
url

tester

So is this Jack's or Yara's?
Prills or granules has smaller surface than powders... smaller surface is in contact with air so prills needs longer exposure to air. Prills can be coated

Last edited:
M

Milhouse

That pic was taken off the internet, just grabbed it to throw up there. The brand i use is actually called "Viking Ship Brand" Greenhouse grade Calcium Nitrate. here is the description

Greenhouse grade calcium nitrate is a refined, prilled (uncoated) highly soluble material (0.2% or less insoluble). It is an ideal source of water soluble nitrogen and calcium for greenhouse liquid feeding programs. Does not alter pH of medium. Used to promote aggregation of soil colloids and to control blossom end rot in tomatoes. Supplies about 19% calcium. 17 oz. to 100 gals. of water give 200 ppm.

*mistress*

Veteran
<br />
That said I'd give a warning to those following what *mistress* said a few pages back. I wasted a good part of a year with huge problems cuz of the 1:1 ratio and &quot;3-5g/gal calnit&quot; info he had posted. I was having cal deficiency problems and figured I needed more calnit since this guy was saying 1:1 ratio with 3g+ calnit was good. Turned out to be awful advice for all 3 of my strains, once I dropped to around 1.6g/gal calnit and 3.3g/gal jacks as a base then adjust from there (sometimes going closer to 2/3 ratio) things went so much better. Anyone have success with 3+g/gal calnit? I dunno seems way too hot for any cannabis strains I have...
?

please refer to the post & what `advice` member orange juice is referring to....you posted diagnosing a `calcium deficiency`, then

`and I figured I needed more calnit`....

if read *mistress* posts, there is not really a reference to any `1:1 ratios` - in the same container.

that is not a ratio, becuase the calcium nitrate and npk-mg-s were mixed in different containers.... not fed at the same time....

*mistress* did not post to mix 3g cal-nit + 3 g npk-mg-s in the same container..... that may cause precipitation.... but, 5g/gal in separate containers.... if that is too hot for your orchids, then reduce....

have posted the regime in different threads over some moments, but just for this thread, a simple fert regime:

5 gallon bucket 1:

2 tablespoons, or approximately 30 grams of your favorite water-soluble. jax, peters, etc, etc.... that is two (2) heaping spoon-fulls of the commong measuring utensil that comes w/ maxi-bloom, or other fert.... very simple.

5 gallon bucket 2: 2 table spoons, or approx. 30 grams of calcium nitrate, again your favorite brand....

ph:

adjust ph down to 5.0 (in both buckets)..... it will rise in the medium, once fed the nearly %100 nitrate nitrogen.... (cation exchange).

feeding:

feed them from separate containers.... it can be done @ the same tyme....meaning once all the bucket 1 is poured onto tomato plants, then start bucket 2.....

or..... feed bucket 1 @ morning, feed bucket 2 @ night.....

or.... feed bucket 1 @ day 1, feed bucket 2 @ day 2....

if mix in any extra mkp, mg-s, k-si, k-n- etc, etc, mix in the "npk-mg-s" bucket.... mix nothing w/ cal-nit. feed it separately....

that is the only 1:1 ratio *mistress* can post to.... just that equal amounts cal-nit:npk-mg-s applied - but not mixed in same bucket, not fed @ exact same tyme.... no advice, just a post about another method of applying elements to plants.... if that doesnt work for you/your garden, then adjust....

hope this helps

I wasn't trying to attack you or anything sorry if it came off that way. My problems were because of my assumptions and my own fault, not yours.

The point of my post was that people come here to find out what ratios or grams per gallon others are using for Jacks/calnit specifically. I wanted to make known that in the last year I'd been "experimenting" with these ferts and the amounts in your post are TOO HIGH for cannabis.

Just trying to prevent others from making the mistakes I did with my own presumptions and interpretation of posts in these threads.

*mistress* did not post to mix 3g cal-nit + 3 g npk-mg-s in the same container..... that may cause precipitation.... but, 5g/gal in separate containers.... if that is too hot for your orchids, then reduce....
This is what I'm trying to say. People with problems need to reduce! 5g/gal is wayyy too high, even on it's own, from my experience. I wanted to share that to save someone a few months of there time that's all.

Latest posts

Latest posts