What's new

Butane Residue Test Results

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would love to see this stuff tested for residue and how it compares to cans. Trying to get a read on how much this ecoGreen cost versus cans, how is my math?

If butane weighs 4.86 lbs per gallon
3785.4 ml in a gallon so
3785.4/4.86=778.89 ml per lb
778.89ml*24 lbs=18,693.36ml in 24lbs
300ml in most cans
1,866,936/300=62.31 cans
$275 for 24lbs so....
That's $4.41 per 300 ml.

Too complicated for me this morning...and the can's volume isn't an especially accurate figure as it varies by temperature, the weight is the number to be working with, ~167g/can.

From the Eco Green Industries site, "R600 N-Butane - 50lb Cylinder...Actual N-butane liquid weight is 24LB/10.9KG"

10.9kg/$275 ($240 + "$35 flat-rate shipping via FedEx Ground")

10,900g/$275 = 167g/x

x = $4.213

A 300ml/167g can's worth of it is $4.21

They claim 99.9% purity...

And that's all it is, just another unsubstantiated claim, how much time and money would it have cost them to have third party lab testing done and have the results posted up at their site?

Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this guy got a kind of certification from them..... http://instagram.com/p/oy3n2fMAPZ/

Thanks A6, from the bottom of the test report,

"For and on behalf of HANGZHOU SPORLAN CO., LIMITED"

It's Chinese gas,

http://sporlan.e.tradeee.com

If I had a way of disposing of the rest of the tank I'd order some up for residual testing, but there's just too much left over canned butane sitting around here already, makes me feel like Fire Marshall bait... ;-)

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Crown had 0.003g of residue

Crown, England, 300ml can, reads on the bottom "DOM 29.03.14 00:34"

Residue was a faint white with no odor.

I intend on doing further residual testing on this to hone in the exact amount since it's excellent butane at a decent price.

Crown #2 had 0.0022g of residue (four cans shot to the same test bag, this is the result divided by four)

Crown, England, 300ml can, reads on the bottom "DOM 29.03.14 00:34"

President BHO congratulating the PM today,

Attachments

• 2014-06-05T153523Z_1_LYNXMPEA540SA_RTROPTP_2_G7.JPG
    2014-06-05T153523Z_1_LYNXMPEA540SA_RTROPTP_2_G7.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks A6, from the bottom of the test report,

"For and on behalf of HANGZHOU SPORLAN CO., LIMITED"

It's Chinese gas,

http://sporlan.e.tradeee.com

If I had a way of disposing of the rest of the tank I'd order some up for residual testing, but there's just too much left over canned butane sitting around here already, makes me feel like Fire Marshall bait... ;-)

OK, I now have a LP-5 of Ecogreens R-600 and a 30# tank of their R-290. We will test it for residue and do an extraction with it.

We also have some Matheson n-Butane to test, and some Puretane donated for trial, as well as Dimethyl Ether to try to develop recycle with. Looks like we need to schedule a day off and play in the lab!

R3cluse

I bought ecogreenindustries butane and lighter fill kit. Butane seems legit as well as the lighter adaptor. BUT the charging hose that came with it is full of residue. I've blasted about 5 liters through it and am getting a yellow residue with rubbery smell every time I test it. Could it be the charging hoses are faulty or not safe for Butane?

BrainChild

Hmmm, it seems you should be able to clean the residue out...I hope it's not from the actual butane? Do you have a way of discharging it without the hose to test just the tane?

A6 Grower

Veteran
ya hopefully its from the hoses, but you should be able to blast those clean of whatever is in there. If its still coming out then ya it does sound like it could be the butane. hmmm well see when my tank gets here

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They just offered me complimentary tanks of butane and propane for nonvolatile residual testing... :woohoo:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The complimentary tanks of butane and propane from Eco Green are scheduled for delivery today. I already received the 'lighter refill kit,' and washed it thoroughly in warm water and dish soap, so I should be ready to do the non volatile residue tests.

Question for the big shits, what's the simplest way to lower the temperature of the tanks?

I always place the cans of butane I'm going to test in the freezer so when I squirt the butane into my Mason jar I capture the most liquid butane with the least vapor blow by, my freezer averages about 0F. If I just use ice it's not going to be quite cold enough, and if I use dry ice I think there's a possibility of the non volatile residues dropping out of solution.

I don't have a refrigerant scale to get an exact weight of the butane/propane I'm squirting into the Mason jar, so I'll be going by the volume markings on the jar. If the temperature isn't down near that of the canned butane it won't be a fair comparison, as I'll be squirting more butane to make up for the blow by...

I'll probably try a quick room temperature test, and then try a test after chilling the tank in the sink surrounded by ice for a two or three hours, but if that isn't adequate???

A6 Grower

Veteran
I chill my tank in a 20gal bucket, If you add salt and some alcohol you should reach 0f no problem. Grab a IR temp gun frm harbor freight. Youll need 5-6 small bags of ice of 2-3 of the bigger bags.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks, exactly the type of response I was hoping for, I've got gallons of isopropyl sitting around doing nothing...

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I bought ecogreenindustries butane and lighter fill kit. Butane seems legit as well as the lighter adaptor. BUT the charging hose that came with it is full of residue. I've blasted about 5 liters through it and am getting a yellow residue with rubbery smell every time I test it. Could it be the charging hoses are faulty or not safe for Butane?

I took Eco Green's 'lighter refill kit' apart as far as I was able, cleaned the glue and rust out, threw away the o-ring, and put it back together with yellow pipe tape.

The clear 'glue' was used heavily under the grip and on the threads, but it doesn't seem to dissolve readily with isopropyl alcohol or a blast of butane.

The rust is most likely what you're seeing, it comes off with iso and a paper towel. I suppose if you keep it dry, and check for rust once in a while it should be ok.

A couple of adjustable wrenches will do for assembly/disassembly, as neither end was very tight.

I pressure tested it with a can of butane, holds pressure and the valve works fine. That little valve is the gem of the whole thing, nice looking once you get it cleaned up.

The tanks of butane and propane should be here in the next few hours...

Attachments

• P1010218.jpg
    P1010218.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 20
  • P1010219.jpg
    P1010219.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010220.jpg
    P1010220.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 29
I took Eco Green's 'lighter refill kit' apart as far as I was able, cleaned the glue and rust out, threw away the o-ring, and put it back together with yellow pipe tape.

The clear 'glue' was used heavily under the grip and on the threads, but it doesn't seem to dissolve readily with isopropyl alcohol or a blast of butane.

The rust is most likely what you're seeing, it comes off with iso and a paper towel. I suppose if you keep it dry, and check for rust once in a while it should be ok.

A couple of adjustable wrenches will do for assembly/disassembly, as neither end was very tight.

I pressure tested it with a can of butane, holds pressure and the valve works fine. That little valve is the gem of the whole thing, nice looking once you get it cleaned up.

The tanks of butane and propane should be here in the next few hours...

Hate to say it, but that thing looks disgusting. I'd only ever use it to refill lighters if need be :p

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The picture I took of the unopened boxes showing all the shipping and warning labels and stuff also plainly shows all kinds of personal info, so sorry...

About two pounds difference in weight between them...

That's shrink tubing over the valves...

They sent me another 'lighter refill kit,' this time complimentary...

The butane tank is in the fridge chilling, and the 'lighter refill kit' is in a sealed ziplock bag in the freezer along with the Mason jar.

Attachments

• P1010231.jpg
    P1010231.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010230.jpg
    P1010230.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 28
  • P1010229.jpg
    P1010229.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 23
  • P1010225.jpg
    P1010225.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010223.jpg
    P1010223.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 29
  • wifi 26
    wifi 26
    135 KB · Views: 37
  • P1010235.jpg
    P1010235.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010237.jpg
    P1010237.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 22

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The complimentary tanks of butane and propane from Eco Green are scheduled for delivery today. I already received the 'lighter refill kit,' and washed it thoroughly in warm water and dish soap, so I should be ready to do the non volatile residue tests.

Question for the big shits, what's the simplest way to lower the temperature of the tanks?

I always place the cans of butane I'm going to test in the freezer so when I squirt the butane into my Mason jar I capture the most liquid butane with the least vapor blow by, my freezer averages about 0F. If I just use ice it's not going to be quite cold enough, and if I use dry ice I think there's a possibility of the non volatile residues dropping out of solution.

I don't have a refrigerant scale to get an exact weight of the butane/propane I'm squirting into the Mason jar, so I'll be going by the volume markings on the jar. If the temperature isn't down near that of the canned butane it won't be a fair comparison, as I'll be squirting more butane to make up for the blow by...

I'll probably try a quick room temperature test, and then try a test after chilling the tank in the sink surrounded by ice for a two or three hours, but if that isn't adequate???

When I get the tanks back from the forensic lab, I'll chill them to about 20F with a water ice bath, into which I've also added dry ice.

I do have a refrigeration scale, but it won't be accurate enough for our purposes, so I'll decant a smaller amount and use our 0.0001 gram scale to weigh the residuals.

I'll freeze my decantation beaker to 0F in the freezer and weigh it before and after, so as to pick up on boil off.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks GW!

I'm about ready to test the Eco Green butane, the tank's down to the low 30s F with just ice and rock salt. I'm going to probably use a tub and add a little dry ice to the mix for the propane.

Attachments

• P1010239.jpg
    P1010239.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 16

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 'lighter refill kit' works smooth! After a flush of the system, I shot to the 500ml line on my Mason jar, about double the amount of a standard 300ml can of butane. A gummy, yellowish residue, which stank similarly to, but stronger than almost all the canned butane I've previously tested was left behind. It was still stinking after two vac purges, so I purged it again... The result was 0.076g of non volatile residue. Half that, 0.038g for comparison with a standard can of butane.

EcoGreen butane had 0.038g of residue (in an ~300ml can's worth)

EcoGreen Industries, China, 30lb n-butane tank

Going to be second from the bottom on my Best to Worst canned butane list, I suggest this not be used for open extractions.

This isn't the first distributor to be taken by surprise... my condolences.

:comfort:

Attachments

• P1010240.jpg
    P1010240.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 18
  • P1010242.jpg
    P1010242.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
This isn't the first distributor to be taken by surprise... my condolences.

:comfort:

Honesty is the best policy. I guess their 99.9% pure claim is just puffery. Even so I'd much rather use a new full 24# tank than can tap and recover 72 cans of tane....

:joint: