What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane honey oil for dummies

Dr.NO

How do some people get the beautiful clear balls of hard oil? I know the clearness means it's low on contaminants and done right, but how does the oil become hard, just from cooling down after the hot water purging? How are they balls of it? Do these people reheat the scraped oil so it all melts together to form one big smooth ball?

tainted

IMO

IMO

if you want it hard "glass"...cook long nad in hot water dutch boiler and cool RAPIDLY...the oil reddens

butter..the soft pastey stuff...is warmed slightly to reduce viscosity and mixed and mixed until its aerated...same tech as making salt water taffee..the oil lightens

continue cooking butter on slightly higher heat and mixing and mixing..you get "delta 9" after a cool and few days cure...the oil goes to amber hashy rocks..or "bho paper" pending quantity...

leave em all overnight....

the firmness is cooking times..the color clarity from processing style and strain...the clarity changes like glass/gourmet candy mfg does...somes opaque..somes translucent..."refraction angles"...

thats what ive found ime

foaf

Veteran
Last edited:

bubbleman

Veteran
Check the most recent issue of cannabis culture as well, they have quite an article on the dangers of oil and even have some photos of a couple of guys that burnt them selves quite badly> I have seen people doing this outside even have explosions. BE CAREFUL
also it should be noted, that recently i heard the budderking's brother has had quite an explosion, can't imagine thats good for business......

peace
bubble man

Well, I guess its a choice people make. If they dont follow precautions things like that happen in every business....any way just wanted to post that did my first smoke last night of my first batch (following all safety guidelines) and even I have been a toker for 20yrs+ this has been the best smoke and the most potent for sure, perhaps even to strong for everyday or day smoke....thanks for all the tips. Keep it green.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yeah it seems there is a small risk left over even if you personally do everything right. there always remains the small chance factor, ie:

some idiot drops a burnning fag end of the balcony above you and it lands in your bho full pyrex dish, while you are extracting lol.

or your friend decides to come pass you the joint while you're making bho.

basically allow for other peoples stupidities as well as your own lol.

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Did it come out pasty or hard tigershark? I'm ordering the O'Kief tubes and accesories....too scared to try the DIY shit...um buyin the tubes

BHO is good shit...I buy it in dispensaries when I can...but they charge too much money for it....one club charged me $25 for a 1/4 gram.....can't wait til I can make my own

foaf

Veteran
bubbleman said:
......... I have seen people doing this outside even have explosions. BE CAREFUL... peace bubble man

hi bubbleman. you have seen someone, or seen a valid report of someone getting hurt making bho outside?

bubbleman

Veteran
yes foaf a very good friend of mine who had made it hundreds of times in the past. He was no IDIOT he was NO DUMMY, this was second nature to him like it is hashmasta or phife. He was outside, and got very very badly burned, he lives in calgary and now shows people the joys of water and dry sifting. HE is a very strong argument against safely making butane oil, as he was doing it all correct> and still blew up.
he has burns all over his arms legs and body. He told me how his arms were on fire so badly that when he slapped them, the skin, still on fire hit the ground and burned for minutes. So please not only be careful. where some type of fire retardent or protection on your arms and body.

peace
bubble man

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
What causes the explosions outside of some egregious act by the grower? (i.e. indoors, near flames, cigarretes etc...as previosuly posted repeatedly) How did the explosion occur?

jimbob420

when will people learn that stop drop and roll really works...too often I hear of people on fire running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I have been on fire and have lit my kitchen on fire in the past and both times it was very quickly put out by smothering the fire. No O2 no fire. running is the worst thing you can do...be safe and stay OUTSIDE

foaf

Veteran
bubbleman said:
yes foaf a very good friend of mine who had made it hundreds of times in the past. He was no IDIOT he was NO DUMMY, this was second nature to him like it is hashmasta or phife. He was outside, and got very very badly burned,............. peace bubble man

wow bubbleman, I'm sorry. Hope he didnt have any lasting problems.

I'm sure he knows what the ignition source was, of course butane doesnt spontaneously ignite. Can you share the details of how it ignited so that we can try to avoid this happening to anyone else?

tainted

pilot lights are often the cause in these articles..

yea be careful..hash mfg kills

Keefhead

Well, I finally got to use my new okief BHO tube. I had a baggie of some Leda Uno buds a friend gave me, so it seemed like a perfect match.

I set up outside in my back yard on a planter bed. As you can see, I found a small pyrex dish at the local supermarket that fits perfect.

After running it through, I set it in a large stainless bowl with hot water. It boiled off most of the butane in about 30 minutes or less.

I then brought it into the house and scraped it into a little pile. I was worried at first, the bowl seemed clear. Well, when I began scraping it up, it showed it's true colors.

Now I will let it finish purging on a heating pad, and then..... :woohoo:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Nice Keefhead...how quick was the delivery on the tubes? I am gonna go order one right now...with the screens....did you get any accesories with yours?

Last edited:

Keefhead

I doubt you'll need much in the way of extra screens. They clean with alcohol, and they include an extra screen. I just cleaned mine.

Delivery - under a week. But check the website. It appears they're sold out for the moment, but taking orders. Maybe that will change in a few days.

As to the other items, I figure that if I order them when I need them, they won't get lost in the clutter of the house. :D

And, man, does this setup make it easy. Being a tripod it won't wobble, it's stable when you press down on the butane. And unlike a turkey baster, it's easy to load and unload. An open tube on both ends.

Yeah, I'm stoked on it.

Last edited:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
They are out of tumblers....
"Due to an unexpected high volume of sales, all tumblers and extra drum orders are on a 7 day backorder. If you order today, your item will be shipped in 7 business days. Sorry for the inconvenience"

but they have the tubes....just ordered one....under $55 including shipping....I didn't order any extra stuff....

glad to hear you like the tube...thanks for the pictorial also

:wave:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
looks excellant Keefhead and nice color on the oil. They were sold out of the tubes but i did send more and those should be there any day now. I've used the same screen on mine for 2 years now and it's still good. JYI when you take the screen off just loosen the clamp a little and slide the sceen and clamp off in one piece. Makes it easier to put back on and you don't have to refold it. Just heard from a friend of mine in Canada that religiously uses his tube and he also has access to a lab. He said the best sample tested at 85% purity but neglected to say what the remaining % was, and i'm waiting for his reply. He slao tested the hash from tha payload bags and said the best was the 90u and 45u which tested between 50-55%.........still curious what the remaining is.