What's new

Butane honey oil for dummies

talktosamson

Veteran
Thanks, i use a TiPV vape for it. I'll have to find the pics. I also Highly recommend using Hashmasta kut's device, it's sweet.
Final tally was 3.7g oil from 21g of bud which is almost 20% :yoinks: But that was some seriously frosty bud, the stems were also covered in triches.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/49621gspentbud-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

Here's a pic of my custom engraved box i bought to hold my meds lol. Looks like i have alot of filling to do lol.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/496custom_box-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/496customebox2-thumb.jpg]View Image[/url]

Might I ask where you got that sweet ass box?

RoostaPhish

Veteran
WRONG!
Don't whip if there is still butane you will trap the the tane. The correct way to make butter is to purge fully, and then whip air in to it.

Take it easy, that IS what I meant, it just takes place at the same time, or immediately after the off gassing, it is the only way to make sure you have gotten out all of the trapped gas, it does not make it become trapped. Also not everybody has a vaccum purge, which makes whipping somewhat essential. You do not need one either, you just have to be patient and let your product cure before scraping it up, I like to leave it on my reflector for a few days before collecting the material together. And you ARE CORRECT, that whipping it also oxygenates the material much in the way it would when you are making culinary treats like cream and such. I was just answering a basic question that this individual asked.

hammalamma

Veteran
Take it easy, that IS what I meant, it just takes place at the same time, or immediately after the off gassing, it is the only way to make sure you have gotten out all of the trapped gas, it does not make it become trapped. Also not everybody has a vaccum purge, which makes whipping somewhat essential. You do not need one either, you just have to be patient and let your product cure before scraping it up, I like to leave it on my reflector for a few days before collecting the material together. And you ARE CORRECT, that whipping it also oxygenates the material much in the way it would when you are making culinary treats like cream and such. I was just answering a basic question that this individual asked.
Whipping is not essential for bho to be fully purged. it's only for making budder. You should really try making sap or "shatter" it's a much better product all around.:biggrin:

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Took a few dabs b4 writing and you are correct. I meant to write it is a way to ensure, not the only way. I actually never whip it, like I said I let it cure, and end up with a very plyable and easily handlable product. It has the consistency of a orange fruit chew, completely see through, big oz patties.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
I also like to run a dry ice run, and then blow the product afterwards. It seems to save on butane. Just started doing it that way though.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I found a great box maker in southern Oregon named Woodspinner, who carves the outside using a CNC router. He can make any design that you want from a suitably sized picture or use one of his own.

I recently had one made for a friend that turned out well, but alas the glue joints failed in international shipment, ostensibly from the low temperatures in the cargo hold and physical shock.

I relayed that to Woodspinner and he promised to switch glues to take that in consideration.

Here is a picture of what the front of a box with our skunk on it looks like. I would show ya'll the the top, but it was a gift and ya'll get the idea of what Woodspinner is capable of. Let your imagination do the walking..................

Attachments

• Skunk on box-1-1.jpg
    Skunk on box-1-1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 28
I'm on page 35 of this thread reading all the way through. Might seem like too much time invested for some, but I have read through threads this length before in order to make some of the best product my friends and I have tried. Is it going to be worth reading through the entire thread? Let's wait and see. Not even halfway through this thread and already reading people complaining about the length of it, makes me feel like a bit of a pot nerd. After I finish reading, gonna have my buddy make me a custom glass extraction tube. Thought of ordering an o'kief, still debating, but the thought of having some glass extraction tubes that are custom made to my specs is just too tempting.

levelnext

Concentrate.

Concentrate.

I made a little concentrate of posts from the 4 largest BHO threads:

Get your BHO answers/info HERE - Grasscity
The new BHO discussion thread - Grasscity
Butane honey oil for dummies - icmag
The Purging Thread - Tokecity

I compiled what i found to be the most interesting bits of wisdom.

It is by no means complete.

Haven't got to put them in order but i made a PDF with them.

Hope it helps to alleviate the sore read-through the threads :p

You can download at: http://bit.ly/BHO-BestPosts

Cheers.

first runs

first runs

I made a little concentrate of posts from the 4 largest BHO threads:

Get your BHO answers/info HERE - Grasscity
The new BHO discussion thread - Grasscity
Butane honey oil for dummies - icmag
The Purging Thread - Tokecity

I compiled what i found to be the most interesting bits of wisdom.

It is by no means complete.

Haven't got to put them in order but i made a PDF with them.

Hope it helps to alleviate the sore read-through the threads :p

You can download at: http://bit.ly/BHO-BestPosts

Cheers.

Thats cool Ill take a look at it. Today I just finished reading all 104 pages of his thread and it would be very convenient if it were condensed without all the bs. Well like I said I finally finished reading through. I was determined to finish reading until I made a batch, but around page 50 or 60 I couldn't help it and went out and bought the SS turkey baster from bed bath and beyond and a couple cans of butane. I have to tell you guys real quick that I paid close to $12 for a regular can of power 5x at a cigar shop by my house before finding out that they charge $3.75 a can/$35 a case for the SAME EXACT CAN. Can't believe I over paid that much but in my defense I was kinda high and thought "well maybe the can is just bigger! lol. Anyway I ended up doing some runs after that with some of last years sugar leaf trim that has just been sitting in a trash bag.
iphone4484.jpg

and then...

and then...

It went pretty well but I noticed there were a lot of "contaminants" in the bho from being outside when it was windy so I decided to try using alcohol to "wash" it. All I had was 91% isopropyl but I figured it would work. I let the iso dissolve the bho then poured it through a funnel lined with parchment paper with a coffee filter at the bottom.

a2826.jpg

This worked pretty well but took a long time to purge the alcohol and achieve the final product. I let it cook in a water bath for a couple hours at about 150 F.

a2830.jpg

and this is what I got, now an absolute.

iphone4490.jpg

oh yeah,

oh yeah,

Forgot to mention that I have been using parchment paper for its nonstick properties, read it somewhere in this thread and though it sounded like a good idea. Great if youre doing smaller runs and are concerned about losing product due to difficult scraping. The paper does get pretty tattered with use from a single batch. So after running small batches in my SS turkey baster I figured it was time to invest in a larger extraction tube so I can actually get through this trim while Im still kicking. I was going to have my glassblower buddy make me one or order an okief online, but my buddy was lagging and okief was out of stock on payday so I visited the smoke shop where I got some other supplies and picked up this beauty.

a2863.jpg

a2869.jpg

I did one run with it that night, which was pretty disappointing as far as yields go. I think I either packed the tube too tight or the coffee filter soaked up too much. I only have a zip tie around the end and no seal so the filters soak up a good amount of liquid. I rinsed the filter in iso and poured it through another filter to a glass jar to evap.
a2887.jpg

We'll see if I get anything back from that. I did one run that night and didn't wash the tube til the next morning. Cleaned it out with iso then rinsed with water and dried out, then left it on the desk to air out for a couple hours. Went out to get some supplies, then when I got back the tube had developed a stress crack and a big piece of the side wall fell out. I was like what the FUCK?! Still not sure why it happened like 12 hours after I used it, but I took it back later that day and decided not to get another glass one.The guy wouldn't give me cash back but gave me store credit (more than I paid) and used it to buy an attachment for my bong so I can smoke some of this beautiful oil properly:dance013:

some for fun

some for fun

and a few pics for fun...

first batch made with SS turkey baster and power 5x, after dissolving bho in iso and purging (absolute)
a2843.jpg

vaping some of that on my buddy's ti setup, in preparation for a longboarding session (my board on the right)
iphone4491.jpg

iphone4450.jpg

new glass tube all ready to go (now broken)
a2865.jpg

scraping up that dank (new, very handy tool from the smoke shop)
a2882.jpg

Great! Hope next time you dont have to wash it. How was the vaping?

Yes I'm too hoping that I won't have to wash in the future, unless I'm trying to produce an absolute as opposed to a concrete. The first time I used the iso mainly to clean out some visible contaminants but as you can see from jump's threads and posts in this thread, it creates quite a nice product. I didn't even do the "winterization" step (because I somehow missed it in the reading) and I like how it worked. The second time, with my new glass tube, I didn't have to clean it because it wasn't outside for as long. But then that broke so I got an X-tractor XL (extraction experts).

which brings me to my next question...

which brings me to my next question...

Hoping that some of the originals of this thread wander back...

After the glass extractor broke I returned it and decided not to get another because I don't trust it. That was all they had so I went to another smoke shop in the area that said they sell the Extraction Experts "X-Tractor". I went there and they only had the x-tractor xl and the guy was willing to do a great price on it so I picked it up. After I got home I remembered reading that 1-1.5" is optimal and over 2" is not advised...I believe the xl is 2.5". Did I screw up? What are the biggest drawbacks of having a tube that size? Anything I can do to alleviate some of these problems? Thanks.:tiphat:

-t4k

norcal_sourD

Thirst, my buddy got that same type of tube recently, they're shit. Same thing happened to us but we managed to get a few runs outta it before it cracked up the side...cheap Chinese glass I think. As far as your question, I think inherent drawback to larger diameter would be less surface area contacted by the butane. Thus a smaller return is almost a certainty. I think a smaller diameter tube would be of great benefit..maybe you can still return old one and trade in on a smaller diameter unit? That's where I'm at too. I have a rubbermaid FULL of super sugar OG trim that I can't wait to run ;) Im gunna have to break down and buy me a new tube lol. Sorry Kids, Dad needed a new bho tube! Looks like Christmas will be a little smaller this year bwahahahah!

Thirst, my buddy got that same type of tube recently, they're shit. Same thing happened to us but we managed to get a few runs outta it before it cracked up the side...cheap Chinese glass I think. As far as your question, I think inherent drawback to larger diameter would be less surface area contacted by the butane. Thus a smaller return is almost a certainty. I think a smaller diameter tube would be of great benefit..maybe you can still return old one and trade in on a smaller diameter unit? That's where I'm at too. I have a rubbermaid FULL of super sugar OG trim that I can't wait to run ;) Im gunna have to break down and buy me a new tube lol. Sorry Kids, Dad needed a new bho tube! Looks like Christmas will be a little smaller this year bwahahahah!

Thanks for the response sourD, I'm a norcal resident myself. Good luck with that, sometimes you gotta make the tough decision! lol. Something similar myself, had to tell my girlfriend no more spending for me til my next paycheck cuz I spent too much on my god damn tube! And I lost the $40 that I spent on the first glass one cuz he wouldn't give me my money back just store credit and those were the only tubes he carried. The thing didn't last twelve hours! But I needed some type of titanium setup for my bong anyway so I got a dome (pic coming soon). Funny same thing happened with you guys though. I figured the glass might not have been kiln fired or my glassblowing buddy said they might not have worked the middle just the ends which can create stress. I just decided to go with stainless steel and thought they would have more models besides the xl, then kind of bought it on impulse when it was all they had. I agree it's too wide and should take it back, I'm sure they'll at least give me store credit and I can have them order me the smaller tubes I think they have a 2 1.5" tubes setup. Man I can only imagine how much you're dying to run that OG trim! This stuff is from last years harvest and there's some material in there that shouldn't be but soon I'll be getting fresh trim from my buddy's indoor ops.

I was thinking...what if I put an inch or two of cotton balls on the injecting end of the extraction tube? It would soak all of the cotton balls and maybe reach all of the material that way? Thanks for the help.

-t4k

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the response sourD, I'm a norcal resident myself. Good luck with that, sometimes you gotta make the tough decision! lol. Something similar myself, had to tell my girlfriend no more spending for me til my next paycheck cuz I spent too much on my god damn tube! And I lost the $40 that I spent on the first glass one cuz he wouldn't give me my money back just store credit and those were the only tubes he carried. The thing didn't last twelve hours! But I needed some type of titanium setup for my bong anyway so I got a dome (pic coming soon). Funny same thing happened with you guys though. I figured the glass might not have been kiln fired or my glassblowing buddy said they might not have worked the middle just the ends which can create stress. I just decided to go with stainless steel and thought they would have more models besides the xl, then kind of bought it on impulse when it was all they had. I agree it's too wide and should take it back, I'm sure they'll at least give me store credit and I can have them order me the smaller tubes I think they have a 2 1.5" tubes setup. Man I can only imagine how much you're dying to run that OG trim! This stuff is from last years harvest and there's some material in there that shouldn't be but soon I'll be getting fresh trim from my buddy's indoor ops.

I was thinking...what if I put an inch or two of cotton balls on the injecting end of the extraction tube? It would soak all of the cotton balls and maybe reach all of the material that way? Thanks for the help.

-t4k

We use two wadded up coffee filters for that purpose. It also prevents material blowback, should you release the pressure during the extraction.

We use two wadded up coffee filters for that purpose. It also prevents material blowback, should you release the pressure during the extraction.

Thanks for the response GW. And a big thanks the author and you and the other frequent posters. I learned a lot on this thread not only how to make some amazing bho, but also the precautions that need to be taken working with it.

So you use two wadded up coffee filters on the injecting end? Are you using a larger than normal tube as well? And the coffee filters soak up the tane and then work by better soaking the material beneath it down to the extracting end? I called the smoke shop where I got it and they said I can bring it back in for store credit and they can order me a smaller diameter model but it would take 2-3 weeks. If only I were more patient and just ordered the o'kief X-Tractor II when it was back in stock, I would probably get it delivered today or early next week. So you do you think I can make the XL work? (measured last night and inner diameter is 2 and 3/8")