What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane honey oil for dummies

Keefhead

Great info. Thanks guys. I have an okief tumbler, so I'll gather up leftovers from my next oil runs and give this a try. And.....I have a volcano, so a-vapping I will go. Actually, I usually vape anything but good "bonging" bubble and "special" oil anyway. :yummy:

Did I note a difference between your two techniques?

Awright guys. Make up yer minds. Just who am I to emulate? :bat:

Like HMK said: "rookies :D "

Last edited:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
I was probably a bit confusing. If i have fluffy bud i just use it whole, when i have tight buds i run them whole the first time then break them up for a second time.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
if its really tight i will take it downto individual bud nuggets, about garbonzo bean size or bigger actually a bit on average. some other round thing equivalent size thingy...

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
personally i like the 320 ml butane bottles most , just one bottle and voila - its done ...
let it sit for 24 h to get out the nasties and have fun with your work- second , i like to do jelly hash with my oil , its honey oil mixed with bubble hash , that gives the oil more shelf life ...

have fun and :smoke:

Fj

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Hey Hm-Kut

what i don't get is how you run the kief in the tubes? do you fill the whole tube with kief and then run the butane through it? doesn't the kief cause it to lump up? can you explain how exctly you fill the tube with said kief?

Last edited:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Now one thing i do know is that after a first run or even a second run there will be a whole lot of stalks left over. My tube when done will be coated with a brown powder on the inside. Looks like kief but under magnification is nothing but stalks.

Keefhead

Hashmasta-Kut said:
for kif i usually put asmall bit of bud at both ends of it... a bud-plug, if you will.. :D
This "rookie" is surprised that the middle of the tube doesn't get clogged. I wonder about sprinkling the hash/kif along the length of the bud, then put that into the tube. Would that be OK? Or does it matter?

However, I'm faced with a similar problem. I smoke only hash, so I don't have ANY bud in the house. Well, a bit of primo for visitors, but that's it. But I have a lot of "reject" hash. A bit harsh, that sort of thing. I lightly ground it and put it in a jar for cooking, but I'd much rather use it for oil.

Got any suggestions for an "inert" thing that I can put in there in lieu of bud, that the oil won't soak into, and will hold the hash in layers so the butane will do its thing? WOW - what a request.... :yoinks:

A thought: stuff a piece of ladies stocking in there, pouring hash in as you go. The butane would flow right through, the stocking (or silkscreen material) would hold the hash in place as the butane does its thing. What do you think?

Just throwing it out there for discussion, if it merits any. :crazy:

Have a nice day everyone, and may all your tokes be BIG ones... :D

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i think you are on the right track as long as nothing gets extracted from the nylons.

the other thing, would be to put screens wedged in add a layer of hash and then comes the next screen push it right close to the first one and again cover it in a layer of hash, do that up the whole tube and you will be safe from it blocking up i would think?

Keefhead

gaiusmarius said:
i think you are on the right track as long as nothing gets extracted from the nylons.

the other thing, would be to put screens wedged in add a layer of hash and then comes the next screen push it right close to the first one and again cover it in a layer of hash, do that up the whole tube and you will be safe from it blocking up i would think?
I think I'll wad up a bunch of nylons and shoot a load (of butane :eek: ) through it over a mirror. Also look at it under the microscope for any signs of being dissolved. These should tell. I've also got some leftover silkscreen material to test, and some stainless kif-drum screen. Hard to handle, but butane won't touch it.

I like your idea about stacking the screens. In fact, I had even thought about getting a stack of them, slightly spaced apart, and soldering them together with a wire. Kind of a stack of brass (bad?) pancakes held together by a wire running up each side. Do I make any sense? :nono: Scoop some hash into each screen, and off ya go. Soak the screen assembly in alcohol to clean it. :crazy:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
if you are gonna pack a tube full of kif go ahead, as long as its not too long the butane will penetrate. pack evenly not too tight, and maybe use a metal safety screen on the exit end to prevent exiting of the material.

Hey guys I have been offline for a while and when I came back found this post and decided to go ahead and make my first batch of BHO....very happy of a clear hard rock of honey....now I have few questions for the experts
- best way to cut the hard rock oil stone ? for a bong hit ?same as a hash stone ?
- best way to store when the small vials not available?
- suggested ways of smoking it without mixing with anything just the pure oil....

thanks

foaf

Veteran
if you dont have a vial, keep it in a little ash tray or small glass dish, and just cover it to keep out dust. Or use a tin like Altiods come in. you want to be able to scrape the residue out to get it all in the end.

use a needle or exacto knife blade to cut it up. if you are having trouble cause its really hard (and that usually means a good product), you can heat it slightly and it will get soft again and be easire to manage with a needle.

as far as smoking the pure oil, vaporizing is probably best, if you dont have a vaporizer, just put a smudge on a glass bong bowl with a screen. I use a mico pore stainless screen, it lets less oil drip through, but Ive heard of people putting in two screens for a similiar effect. I like to put the oil up high near the rim of the bowl and direct a torch lighter towars the bottom of the bowl. the oil liquifies and drizzles down onto the hot screen where it is vaporize or burned.

Last edited:

tainted

[/quote]- best way to cut the hard rock oil stone ? for a bong hit ?same as a hash stone ?
- best way to store when the small vials not available?
- suggested ways of smoking it without mixing with anything just the pure oil....
i freeze mine..makes it very brittle...snap a chunk off with a small knife.. paper clip...or both

you can also just dip a clean paper clip into the warmed goo..scoop it out while twisting..just beware of when the oil "pizza cheeses" strands of bho...why i like the freeze method..

silpat/glass/metal....all can be heated to completely release the oil out...use wide mouths..and shit with no seams and nooks.

i use 2 plus screens/sometimes with top screen folded into triangle...just take a glob/chunk...on a paper clip...heat GENTLY the paper clip...the clip will heat and release the oil into the bowl/screens below...some use a "brilo" metal scouring pad...they are stainless gauze...typically used for crack smokin..but works well for bho too..the volcano actually ripped this tech..

the screens actually work by surface tension...so why many are needed...the oil slips through but some remains "stuck" in the lattice...more oil..needs more screens..remember just about all BHO is "full melt"

@hash oil...i mix kif and buds for red hash oils...always use a COFFEE FILTER..the paper ones...the brown unbleached organic ones...they are lintless...and have had some filters for 20 runs...very strong...yields a very clear product...

prob reduces yeild slightly...i personally dont care...just pump a second run...or brownie butter all the left overs...

and dont forget to reextract the filter balled up in the next run...just scrunch it and drop it in the extractor...same with bho razors..

Thanks for the info foaf and Tainted, my BHO was made from a local pure Sativa, turned somewhat whiteish/gold, excellent quality in my book. I will try the double screen tip with a torch lighter....thanks !!!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
well i just made my first batch ever of bho. i used PowerPlant, 7.2 gs of lower buds and one high up bud at 3.8g. i ground it all up and filled my small honey bee extractor. one mistake i made was grinding the bud a day early. i don't know if that changes much, but i seem to have a rather small yield. it looks very nice and smooth. next time i'll run some whole top WW buds. it gets nice and hard if i leave it alone, but as soon as i touch it it becomes all sticky again. very hard to handle, i need to freeze it. i worry about putting it in my little glass jar, how will i ever get it out of there again?

Keefhead

Try using a teflon bag, if you can find such a thing, or even a little tiny plastic baggie as a last resort. Keep it in the freezer and it will peel right of the plastic. I learned the idea on OG, and its worked for me.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
too late i put it in a small jar. it's pretty damn strong, i must say. i got 10% return, i only used 11g and got back 1.1 lol. there might be another pin heads worth in the pyrex dish, it's difficult to get it out of the curves and corners. also i think i didn't purge long enough as when i first get near it with fire you see butane bubble coming to the top. when i look at it under magnification of 12x i can see small bubbles of what i assume is also butane? what can/should i do to get rid of those bubbles? do i do it with a lighter and risk burning away some active ingredients? or is there an other way? oh yeah can someone explain the teflon bag trick that foaf posted up, in layman's terms? thanks, peace out. it feels good to have made some oil, finally HmK's vaporizer can be put to it's propper use, hehe.

jimbob420

First off this thread has grown since I was last here....just got back from holiday.
The best way to get rid of the bubbles is to just put the dish into some hot water and get the whole mix very warm and then when most of the bubbles stop just scrape up all of it bubbles and all and slap it into a different smaller container(i use corningware) then you can just heat and mix it into a consistency that works best for your smoking method. those final bubbles are not butane though and don't really need to be removed but if they are you are left with what some would call bho paste...

as far as extraction material I never use whole buds...dont know why just havent...I always dry and grind my material as much as possible since I thought the tane only extracted the goodies. and I have done extractions with whole turkey basters of mid to high level kif packed in lightly, no harder than will easily compress and gotten great bho. I really only see a difference in quality when going from strain to strain otherwise things tend to end up looking very similar in the end :confused: