What's new

Butane honey oil for dummies

C

chits

DUMMY Question!

DUMMY Question!

Okay, dummy here (one way or another)

Found some info on ISO oil that I guess was way wrong. I've a bit of it. "Soak in ISO for a week to 60 days" doesn't work!.

Question;
If I take this bowl looking tar and dilute with grain alky to liquidfy. Then sop it up with the BHO intended buds and let dry, would I salvage the trics / THC or just add the nasty shit to the BHO?

How about if I added it only to the top of my O'Kief tube and let the other buds filter?

I'd hate to have to waste the THC but it's unbearable to smoke or tinc. at this point.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Okay, dummy here (one way or another)

Found some info on ISO oil that I guess was way wrong. I've a bit of it. "Soak in ISO for a week to 60 days" doesn't work!.

Question;
If I take this bowl looking tar and dilute with grain alky to liquidfy. Then sop it up with the BHO intended buds and let dry, would I salvage the trics / THC or just add the nasty shit to the BHO?

How about if I added it only to the top of my O'Kief tube and let the other buds filter?

I'd hate to have to waste the THC but it's unbearable to smoke or tinc. at this point.

All is not lost brother, but you didn't do yourself any favors with the long soak.

If you redisolve the extract in warm ethanol, at least everything that will redissolve, and then mix it with equal parts of salt water and hexane, the hexane will steal away the cannabinoids and rise to the top in a seperatory funnel.

If you bleed off the lower layers of salt water, alcohol and crap, and purge the hexane, you will end up with a much cleaner extract.

You can improve it much, by just re-dissolving it in ethanol and leaving it in the freezer overnight, before decanting and filtering.

Easiest to not extract the undesirables in the first place, but we all make unhandy mistakes commonly refered to as a learning experience.

Unabashed, I refer to those incidents as my royal fuckups, but I make less of them as time rolls on.

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

C

chits

Think I'll just dump it.

Shit is nasty! Maybe outside with a strong wind to my back I could handle the smell. But there is no getting around the taste.

Ready to try the BHO. But, I'm going back a couple times and re-read through this first. My stash is getting low and would be really P.O.ed at myself if I screw this one up.

Have the O'Kief, vector fuel, and some good HG. I need to go back and see just how much butane to run through a tube.
From what I have seen here, seems like the second run is barely worth bothering with?

Thanks guys. As mentioned, think I'll just dump it and quit trying to save a bucket of crap.

C

chits

Okay, dumped the ISO (or part of it)

Did my first BHO. Honestly,,, figured there would be more to it than what you guys have been sayin here.... (SURPRISED!) there's not!

Alright, Did the butane into the pyrex... looked... and went WTF!
Nothing there!
Waited as spell, figured I'd go get things and put them away.
Whala! Got it into the house.. Wife says, "let me see?"
And there it was! Almost perfectly clear. Only thing that drew our attention was some thicker ripples along the edges. (Hot Shit! it worked!)
On the matt now for an hour or so and I'll just let it be until tomorrow.
Don't look like much (considering) But it's almost perfectly clear.
will need to wait until tomorrow to see what consistancy I end up with. For now, it's on the heat pad for another 1/2 hr. Then turn the pad off and just leave be until about this time tomorrow.

Being concerned about wasting more weed, blowing myself up, burning the house down, and just having a nosey neighbor walk up,,,, it was really super straight forward and no issues!

Thanks guys!
EXCELLENT SITE! This is one of those threads that'll be good for newbies like me for years down the road to come. :good: :thank you:

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
it really does take a huge dummy to blow yourself up doing BHO. if possible do outdoors, always do in a well ventilated area away from all pilot lights and major appliances, don't smoke while you do it. voila, no boom.

congrats on your successful first run chits. welcome to the addiction that is strong concentrates.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Okay, dumped the ISO (or part of it)

Did my first BHO. Honestly,,, figured there would be more to it than what you guys have been sayin here.... (SURPRISED!) there's not!

Alright, Did the butane into the pyrex... looked... and went WTF!
Nothing there!
Waited as spell, figured I'd go get things and put them away.
Whala! Got it into the house.. Wife says, "let me see?"
And there it was! Almost perfectly clear. Only thing that drew our attention was some thicker ripples along the edges. (Hot Shit! it worked!)
On the matt now for an hour or so and I'll just let it be until tomorrow.
Don't look like much (considering) But it's almost perfectly clear.
will need to wait until tomorrow to see what consistancy I end up with. For now, it's on the heat pad for another 1/2 hr. Then turn the pad off and just leave be until about this time tomorrow.

Being concerned about wasting more weed, blowing myself up, burning the house down, and just having a nosey neighbor walk up,,,, it was really super straight forward and no issues!

Thanks guys!
EXCELLENT SITE! This is one of those threads that'll be good for newbies like me for years down the road to come. :good: :thank you:

Sadly, it does seem like a low yield, but when you consider the maximum percentage extraction of mostly active ingredients using this process, it is one of the most productive processes.

Sadly at the expense of some of the floral consituets more present in an alcohol extraction, but the very essense of hash oil flavor, which I'm thinking that BHO does best.

C

chits

Interesting learning curve.

Yesterday's BHO I may have messed up a bit. After the pad yesterday I ended up vaping some water / ice bubble. (got toasted! and forgot all about turning the heat off on the pad. Ended up being on for about 16 hrs.)
turned it off for an hour or so and discovered it was hard as a rock and shattered when I tried to scrape it. (re-heating for the scrape).

Anyways, I emptied yesterday's tube and saw a lot of "frost" still on the buds. Naturally I figured I must not have used enough butane. Figured I'd do a second run today and get all.
Just for shits 'n giggles, I decided to take a look with the scope (really glad I did) Even when I broke the buds to look inside I noticed the same.... Headless trichs!!!!. All that left behind frost was only the stems of the trichs, about 98% of the heads were gone. (very, very little left after 1 can of butane)
So I sit back to ponder the situation and thought about my ice water bubble. It's still got all the stems in it.
Hmmmm,,, I think I see part of the answer to why this maybe more potent now.
By-the-way,, I saw some of you mentioning finding small stems and stalks. Thought you were talking plant material! Now I see you're talking stems / stalks from thrichs! :bashhead:

This is looking good so I'll do a second with new material today. I'll run it a bit different using some info from some of your other methods. Yesterday I froze all before the butane, today I'll not just to see if there is a difference.

Thanks all. :wave:
This is good.:jump:

I'll add some pics when I get something worth showing. :wave:

Thanks.

PS;
What is that white gooey crap that collects on my screen / clamp? It don't wash very well w/ water & soap.

C

chits

Well, here is what I got from 2 O'kief tubes (about 1 1/2 oz(?)

BHO.jpg

In the tin was yesterday's. Pretty hard and clear. (I learned not to wait until hard! - LOL

Next to it was this mornings left on the heating pad about an hour and scraped. It's hardening up pretty much like yesterdays.

How's it look? (I'll try it tonight - S) I'm definately open to pointers for doing better. Thanks.

Material was well dried, 2 mos. cure, and of unknown origins. But it was a mostly indica strain from best I can tell. I know the seeds were quality once - or - so was said - S

C

chits

Did a second run. Ended up fitting almost both tubes into one after a "crushing" of sorts.

Before scrape
BHOb.jpg

scraped
BHOc.jpg I guess that's worth the butane. (?).

:jump: :wave: :thank you:

Hey guys does anyone know how to make "coral" hash? It has a consistency an looks of honey comb.

Edit*** just saw the thread I'm looking for. Nevermind guys

That's exactly what I mean. It tripped me Out when my Nor Cal buddy brought some down. He said they sell it for 50 dollar grams up there so I had to look it up here. We did a smoke test between my oil an his coral his lacked flavor while mine smoked sweet. But it looks way cool. Ha

as i recall that coral hash has the look of water made bho. if you make it into water it cakes like that doesnt it?

I don't think so. The massive holes are created from the butane boiling off at room temps. I think. The oil is already good quality, so therefore it hardens but before butane can escape it all.

Well if anyone knows one way to do it please let me know. I'm going to try different methods of getting bubbles in it while it hardens. Do you guys think whipping it after it's done purging than putting it in the freezer while it's foamy would work? Or is it basically luck with a poorly purged product. I love the way it looks I want to make it.

Well if anyone knows one way to do it please let me know. I'm going to try different methods of getting bubbles in it while it hardens. Do you guys think whipping it after it's done purging than putting it in the freezer while it's foamy would work? Or is it basically luck with a poorly purged product. I love the way it looks I want to make it.

I would not do that, unless you want to risk blowing your freezer door off.
Someone else did that. I don't know how, but it was BHO related.