What's new

Butane honey oil for dummies

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
they blew off the fridge door because they were doing it in an unvented kitchen with the windows closed, let the fumes build up, the compressor for the fridge kicked on, BOOM.

alphaferret

Nice thread

Nice thread

:thank you:-to all those who have blazed a trail for us, TI curve is amazing w/ a lil shatter!

And hey I like bubble just like anyone but this BHO is IT.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well if anyone knows one way to do it please let me know. I'm going to try different methods of getting bubbles in it while it hardens. Do you guys think whipping it after it's done purging than putting it in the freezer while it's foamy would work? Or is it basically luck with a poorly purged product. I love the way it looks I want to make it.

We don't do luck or poorly purged product at skunk pharm, as it would miss the whole point of refining sweet Mary's essence, vis a vis just smoking bud.

It won't purge well in the freezer. The time to put it in the freezer, is before the extraction or after the purge.

I suspect that the unspecified folks blowing up their freezer had unpurged material in it.

I also know that brother Lazyman blew up an oven, pushing the envelope cooking off denatured (methanol) and applaud him for sharing the experience, vis a vis hiding it in embarassment.

Some learn from their mistakes and mistakes of others, while others never try anything new and uncharted in the first place.

QWISO is not the same as BHO and a different, though a similar issue. If you reach combustion concentration of a solvent and oxygen, plus provide an ignition source, expect spontaneous combustion (explosion).

Dilution ventilation and eliminating ignition sources makes those issues moot. If we weren't burning (exploding) gasoline in internal combustion engines, we would still be riding horses.

Progress is made by those whom push the state of the art. A salute to those of ya'll doing so!

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are the consequences of burning the butane off a day later??

None, as long as the plant material isn't still soaking in it all that time.

BHO has low water solubility, but is not zero water soluble and will turn green with too long a soak. Keeping the temperature low will allow a longer soak than at typical ambients.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
BHO Blend for BHO pills: Casey Jones / Lavender / Big Bud

BHO Blend for BHO pills: Casey Jones / Lavender / Big Bud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TaDb-nr234

We're gonna get hi...hi...hi
picture.php

With the music on
:smoker:

Tathagata

Such a good thread.

I have done two runs making BHO. The first was with all the junk leaf from my plants. I got a small yield of butter-ish oil, that smokes well (though the taste and smell is off the uncured plants, which isnt the best but Ill live with it).

2nd run was using the little heads that I didnt want, plus any left over leaf and also the stems.
This time instead of squirting into a pyrex dish I bought a sundae glass (tall with sloping sides) and purged into that, thinking that instead of trying to move the oil, Ill just use a metal skewer in the sundae glass to get the oil out when I want to use it.

This idea seemed to work well. It took ages to evap the butane, but eventually got there with a nice brown oil...doesnt go hard, but because of the collection method its very easy for me to get a bit out of the glass and blob it onto my cone of weed (I dont have one of those fancy smoking devices you all seem to use).

I like the idea of using a glass instrument to purge. I currently use pvc pipe (yeah whatever) but think id prefer glass for next time.
So, does anyone know anyone in Australia that may make these?

Also, this was my first time growing weed as well (in pots). I noticed the taste of the weed before curing has a strange taste that has come through into the oil (both batches of BHO was done with uncured weed). Could it be that my weed has this taste because I didnt wash the fertilisers out of it before trimming it all?

Anyway, am loving it and will spend more time and effort refining the process.

Thanks!

jtechnical

Hey guys about to do my first run. Would just like some more info on purging correctly.

I plan to use a double boiler setup to start. Was curious about how long the double boiler process should last?

Also after the double boiler purge how important is the use of a heating pad to finish purge?

Lastly what type of heating pad is used and were can they be purchased?

Thanks much!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
think id prefer glass for next time.
So, does anyone know anyone in Australia that may make these?

Could it be that my weed has this taste because I didnt wash the fertilisers out of it before trimming it all?

No but I know who would ship you one from the US.

Failure to flush before taking down your girls, can leave behind some additional flavors. The curing also breaks down some of the compounds like chlorophyll, which mellows out the flavor.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
if your really dumb dont make bho. you will blow yourself up and make the news LOL

All i can say is anyone who does it indoors even with what they think is good ventilation, usually forget about the 10 ignition sources.............and deserve a big fat darwin award. Every one I know of is from someone doing it in a basement or kitchen. These are the same people that caused the hair dryer makers to put a tag on it not to use it in the shower lol

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Sorry I haven't been around too much lately to follow this thread. Had 2 knee surgeries on the same knee since March......and thank god for oil because Narcotics just don't do it for me for pain.Againi ask, Is there any way to sticky this thread? Hope all you guys are doing great.

budbasket

I absolutely love BHO, and have converted several plants and all of my trim towards it over the past year. I have one question however. The main benefit people claim from oil is not having to smoke as much to achieve a better medicated state. But when I take oil hits, although the smoke is far smoother, there is easily twice as much created. Anyone else ever notice this? Just wondering if there is an increase in the already present risk of inhaling any smoke, not even so much the whole cancer debate, but damage to cilia/tissue in lungs. Eh the cell damage would lead to cancer so perhaps it is all the same argument-basket

J

juicepuddle

I absolutely love BHO, and have converted several plants and all of my trim towards it over the past year. I have one question however. The main benefit people claim from oil is not having to smoke as much to achieve a better medicated state. But when I take oil hits, although the smoke is far smoother, there is easily twice as much created. Anyone else ever notice this? Just wondering if there is an increase in the already present risk of inhaling any smoke, not even so much the whole cancer debate, but damage to cilia/tissue in lungs. Eh the cell damage would lead to cancer so perhaps it is all the same argument-basket

Think of it like this, overheating is what causes smoke vs vapor, smoke causes cancer, even smoke from MJ. Also take into account the amount of leaf it took to make the oil your smoking/vaping, technically yes there is more smoke/vapor output from concentrates like oil by sheer volume compared to flowers, but its because its a concentrate, it took much more herb to make that small dab then you might think :)

If you use flame to directly inhale your thc you might be combusting it aka creating carcinogens in your hits. I dont know how you use your oil but if you do no vaporize you should look into it :) Sorry if this is just crazy babel and not an answer to your questions:laughing:

budbasket

I always appreciate when someone actually takes time to reply to a question rather than go off on a rant about how I am doing something wrong or don't get the idea. Normally I just use a small dab half-way through a bowl out of an inline pipe but also I use a volcano set from 369-387. Ive already been smoking for 10 years and hopefully have many more decades in front of me to enjoy. I have a curve but no TI plate for it so haven't really used it at all besides a glass spoon and heated dabber. Eventually I will only eat edibles once I can harvest enough to supply the need. I think BHO, besides the occasional dab, will best be used in tinctures and in kickin up my brownies/cookies/wake n bake coffee cake. Only running a 400 watt right now I have been lurking for several years plan on posting pics of it on my 100th post.-basket

J

juicepuddle

I always appreciate when someone actually takes time to reply to a question rather than go off on a rant about how I am doing something wrong or don't get the idea. Normally I just use a small dab half-way through a bowl out of an inline pipe but also I use a volcano set from 369-387. Ive already been smoking for 10 years and hopefully have many more decades in front of me to enjoy. I have a curve but no TI plate for it so haven't really used it at all besides a glass spoon and heated dabber. Eventually I will only eat edibles once I can harvest enough to supply the need. I think BHO, besides the occasional dab, will best be used in tinctures and in kickin up my brownies/cookies/wake n bake coffee cake. Only running a 400 watt right now I have been lurking for several years plan on posting pics of it on my 100th post.-basket

I would look into a dome and nail for your peice, I myself used a curve and skillet for a long time, first time trying a nail and dome I will never go back ehehe

http://aqualabtechnologies.com/conc...t-mini-vapor-globe-90-w-top-load-18-mm-1.html

Something like this is wonderful for dabbing, however you could just do like you said, use your oil for tincture, or edibles of some kind, from what I have experienced BHO edibles are AWESOME! Also the only edibles that I can even slightly feel.

budbasket

"I would look into a dome and nail for your peice"----you were reading my mind. I just gotta sell off some of my current glass stock I don't even use before I can buy more. GF prob wouldn't be too happy. Plus it has been down to upgrading/buying more equip for the grow or buying a new toy. Soon though....very soon....-basket

J

juicepuddle

"I would look into a dome and nail for your peice"----you were reading my mind. I just gotta sell off some of my current glass stock I don't even use before I can buy more. GF prob wouldn't be too happy. Plus it has been down to upgrading/buying more equip for the grow or buying a new toy. Soon though....very soon....-basket

I was in a similar situation 2 months back:laughing:, the globe I linked is rather cheap compared to the ones I have found in smoke shops though, also very clean glass work, guys in shops were asking 70+ :/

I am currently using the glass nails it comes with, I used to hit a curve all the time with a homemade paperclip dabber, I notice a big taste difference with the nail / titanium dabber, not sure if its the nail or the dabber though. I am going to do some comparing with the glass nails vs Ti ones.

Latest posts

Latest posts