What's new

Butane honey oil for dummies

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this flask is a stewing pot in essance isnt it can any1 explain the process i hate muddy bho so im gonna try this method

Good idea! You owe yourself the experience!

I get clear pristine oil from cured material, but the brightest yellow color and most provocative flavors came from extracting fresh frozen buds per Jumps guidelines.

The panel testing it raved and the most common word chosen to describe it was, "fresh."

Yield was low relative to starting plant weight, but if I adjust the starting weight to 25% assuming that I cured it first, the yield falls right in line with cured extraction.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i found out aways back that keeping a lid on my oil made it purge much more easily. if you consider an open dish of oil, hot underneath but exposed to open air, it becomes apparent that bottom heating, although helpful, is not as effective as top heating would be, because the top surface will be cooled by air contact. i use two methods to keep the purging surface of my oil warm, one, with a butane torch on medium flame power very carefully used a little bit, and also by applying a lid to keep the top surface warm, to allow faster purging. it does keep the terpenes out of the purging area too, im not sure if more terpenes remain in the oil though..

Good points! Thanks!

bigwity

Veteran
so am i right in thinking you let your weed sit in the butane liquid for a few mins then pour through a filter

daheadies

poppin' outta control
thank you everyone for throwing in your input on the subject!!! If anyone ever does make a video, ill have to send them a check to buy them dinner! lol. hopefully ill get it on the next trial based on what everyone said.. thanx

ogwax818

Did a run of BHO today and tried something a little different with my purging. I still used fresh flower but for my purge I did hot tap water then coffee hot water and a 3o min sun bath.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen I made some amber today!

When I scraped this time I made some real good looking amber but was still on the goey consistency. But after letting it sit for over 6 hours I've been able to roll it into a ball. I'd post pics but my macro photography blows, sorry they come out blurry.

Thanks everyone again for all the help.

M-

so you waited 6 hrs in the sun to make it hard candy? did you spread it around in the dish or did you have all in one lump? thanks!

stoNerd

Not to rain on the parade, but is BHO bad for the environment? Is QWISO any good? QWISO seems easier for larger amounts. I'm looking for TASTE as well as efficiency. Advice?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not to rain on the parade, but is BHO bad for the environment? Is QWISO any good? QWISO seems easier for larger amounts. I'm looking for TASTE as well as efficiency. Advice?

Uhmmm, where does the alcohol go when it is evaporated?

Everyone in my test panel thinks BHO, QWISO, and QWET all taste good.

In my experience, the key is to keep the bad tasting stuff out.

Your root point that VOC's are not good from an enviornmental standpoint is valid, and both alcohol and butane can be reclaimed and used again.

Alcohol can be recovered more easily than butane but may run you afoul of federal tax laws on drinking alcohol and operating a distillery without a license.

My half gallon prototype cost me about $120 in materials to build. It recovers the liquor drained off, but not that soaked in the plant material, so short of vacuum recovery technology, most of that is eventually lost to the atmosphere. Recovery is about 66%, even though the closed system recovery is very close to 100%

Brother FOAF has led the way for us recovering butane, by treating it as the R600 refrigerant that it is and simply pumping it off as a gas and recondensing it as a liquid using refrigerant recovery equipment.

He has a thread on the subject on this forum and I will post more on the subject when the one I am assembling is operational.

At this point, it looks like it will cost about $1,000 using new refrigeration recovery equipment purchased fortuitously priced on E-Bay. Recovery is very close to 100% in the closed system.

The only way I can justify that investment given my personal usage, is that the unit will be used to extract oil for anyone in our local skunk pharm group and from fall harvest donations, that we have been extracting pro bono for cancer and other terminal patients.

At a grand with us building it for free, I couldn't justify it for myself, nor I predict can most others.

While recovering every last molecule of solvent is the greenest thing to do and safety issues aside, if every one on this thread used enough butane to extract their medical needs, in the wholistic global perspective, what percent would you estimate that they added to the global warming issue?

BHO and polloution

BHO and polloution

While recovering every last molecule of solvent is the greenest thing to do and safety issues aside, if every one on this thread used enough butane to extract their medical needs, in the wholistic global perspective, what percent would you estimate that they added to the global warming issue?

Thats a great question GW! Being someone who is very conscious about our environment I have contemplated the same Issue. I haven't done any really tight calculations but I did take an old propane camp stove and convert it to butane.(the jet only had to be drilled out about .010 (ten one thousandths) of an inch to give me a nice clean blue flame. After boiling water on the stove using propane and timing it , then installing the modified jet and using butane to boil a second pot of water (1/2 gal for both tests) the outcome was that both pots of water boiled (reached 212 deg. F by way of a digital candy thermometer) within 5 seconds of each other. The opened up jet for the butane works out to a 2.75% increase in flow volume.
So, I use about 120 4.95 oz cans per year that will net me about 250 grams of bho per year. I compare that to what my propane grill uses for a cookout with 10 or 12 friends over and the result is that with propane I can do about 1.5 cookouts with a 20 lb. tank of propane (320 oz) A years supply of of butane (540 oz) decreased by 2.75%(540-14.85oz)= propane equalivent of 525.15 oz or 2.465 cookouts. This would be about the same damage to the atmosphere as a 10 mile beer run in a v-8 powered pick up truck.
so I would say make sure you have plenty of beer before you start your cookouts or cut back on your driving just a little and you will more than offset your butane usage.
Crap.....I forgot to factor in all the smoke produced from the bho:laughing:Guess that would be more than offset by the grill smoke though huh?
Peace and Love
Da Beach Bum

jump117

Veteran
i found out aways back that keeping a lid on my oil made it purge much more easily. if you consider an open dish of oil, hot underneath but exposed to open air, it becomes apparent that bottom heating, although helpful, is not as effective as top heating would be, because the top surface will be cooled by air contact. i use two methods to keep the purging surface of my oil warm, one, with a butane torch on medium flame power very carefully used a little bit, and also by applying a lid to keep the top surface warm, to allow faster purging.
Hi Hashmasta-Kut!
I know that direct contact with open flame is very difficult to dose and high risk of overheating.
Probably top heating is more under control with an infrared electric heater instead of flame,
in particular the oven with top grill will heat the top surface through the glass lid.
What is the thickness of the resin layer when you purge it?

jump117

Veteran
Today I vacuum purged heated BHO ( with an industrial vacuum pump/heating system)
I aslo did the same thing with some BHO , washed in ISO ( thanks to the puritans in gov. I can't get ethanol) and filtered, then vacuum purged.

Hi SB7!
Will you share the details of vac after ISO, plz.

ElRubio

Veteran
a lot of good info and practices bout purge in this last two pages...thank you guys!! its very much apreciatted!! :tiphat:

PA160688.jpg

PA160680.jpg

:):thank you:all

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Hi Hashmasta-Kut!
I know that direct contact with open flame is very difficult to dose and high risk of overheating.
Probably top heating is more under control with an infrared electric heater instead of flame,
in particular the oven with top grill will heat the top surface through the glass lid.
What is the thickness of the resin layer when you purge it?

i would think 1-2mm? im not sure sounds about right.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i would think 1-2mm? im not sure sounds about right.

Thanks bro!

For ya'll using the English measurement system, 1 to 2mm is .039 to .075 inches.

1/32nd of an inch is .0315, 1/16th inch is .062, and 3/32 is .093.

Clearly the message is a thin film.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
yeah if one tries to do an extraction yielding more than 5-6 grams in a typical round pyrex pie plate, the film will be thicker, like over 3mm in places, and i find this adds a lot of time to purging. under 3mm is prolly not too thick for a fairly quick purge.

Caille

Been feeling bad about not sharing some imagery from my own life.

So in the spirit of being a cannagrapher, here are a couple quick shots of the papaya oil I made yesterday.

Shot one is natural light (my favorite)
Shot two is flash light (nice caramel look though as shot one shows the oil is clear)
Shot three is in low ambient light (had to lit shots felt I needed a dark)

The oil is glass; pure shatter; zero tackiness, and was made from nicely cured Papaya (Pineapple phenotype) herb grown by a friend. The hits have a slightly kif like after taste which is pleasant and the effect is largely cerebral as my friends Papaya is most certainly a Sativa dominant (in look and leaf and high) pheno.

Alexis
*smiles*

DSC00933 by Green T.A.R.D.I.S, on Flickr

DSC00938 by Green T.A.R.D.I.S, on Flickr

DSC00939 by Green T.A.R.D.I.S, on Flickr

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
so I just did my first run with Vector to see what all the hype is about... I see no difference in quality or yield. luckily I got it at wholesale price and didn't pay like $8 a can for it. seriously looking at and using my cheese wax made with King next to the cheese wax made with vector, there is zero difference. 3x or 4x refined is fine for me, I don't think I'll waste my money on vector again.