What's new

Butane honey oil for dummies

boggah

i've done a few runs of bho using an okief tube. i've used colibri and king butane. the leaves were pretty damn dry. My question is, why is it always coming out so damn soft and sticky. i see these picutres of this rock candy and i'm damn jealous. I cant handle the stuff, and even when i put it in the freezer, after 10seconds of being out of the freezer, it is super soft and sticky again. any reasons why its not hardening up for good?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
i've done a few runs of bho using an okief tube. i've used colibri and king butane. the leaves were pretty damn dry. My question is, why is it always coming out so damn soft and sticky. i see these picutres of this rock candy and i'm damn jealous. I cant handle the stuff, and even when i put it in the freezer, after 10seconds of being out of the freezer, it is super soft and sticky again. any reasons why its not hardening up for good?

1# What purge process are you using?

2# What's the humidity like in your area? (Can't make decent Toffee when it isn't bone dry... best time to do it is in the winter.)

G

greasehorse

I know of someone a few years ago that tried that but in the Us, butane (which is odorless in it's natural state) is required by law to be blended with a nasty smell chemical that transfed to their oil and it ruined it for the purpose they were using it for. They used shade leaves and s few buds off some herb that had a whitefly infestation and was pulled and set aside where it dried. The extraction was very clean and made an oil that would string long strings when a tool was inserted and removed.It looked fine also and was fairly potent.One guy put a glob on a 5 hit bong bowl and set there for two hours unable to move until he got sick and had to go do the "driving the white buss" routine after only two bong hits from it. So carefull was the way after that. Anyway, later on, as I was reading something on the net, they suggested using liquid CO2 instead of butane. Personally, I do not know exactly how to acquire liquid CO2. I have noticed that CO2 cylinders can be bought with a suction tube or not.So maybe that is the answer. Anyway, the CO2 extraction is supposed to pull only the oils out of the mash and leave all of the water soluibles except for a small amount of coloring. This guy blew the extractor with canned butane into a pyrex beaker and let it boil off on the back porch sitting on a coffee brewer (Mr. Cofee) until it evaporated the butane. The CO2 should boil of by itself over several hours and have no chemical smells added to it. My interest at that time was extracting herbs in a couple of simple steps. I never got time to try it but in my thinking, it would likely be more healthy done with CO2. It might be kept in the freezer also if bottled correctly. I would think the BOEL would want to do it that way if they were doing it today. If someone knows how to obtain liquid from a CO2 bottle, I would still like to know how and what equipment is required.It is called cold process soxlett extraction in herb extraction information but no details were given then. I was in Oregon then with many types of medical herbs but don't like stuff extracted by chemicals like those extracts available at health food stores. Like grape seed extracts and others...All chemical reactions are potentially dangerous so please learn how before you blow the blended powder all over the garage and potentially hurt someone. Pressurized gases can be deadly when used inappropriately (yeah, I know but better be safe than sorry)

foaf

Veteran
but in the Us, butane (which is odorless in it's natural state) is required by law to be blended with a nasty smell chemical that transfed to their oil and it ruined it for the purpose they were using it for.

not true, home natural gas, and most LP gas in big tanks, and some butane for camping stoves has mercaptans mixed in so you can smell leaks... but you dont use these sources, the first post of this thread addresses that, you use clean sources like cigar lighter filling butane... many brands readily available.

I never got time to try it but in my thinking, it would likely be more healthy done with CO2. It might be kept in the freezer also if bottled correctly

this is a complicated topic, that has been well discussed and basically isnt doable, no need to go into this here

thanks for your thoughts, but you need to read around some more first. :)

boggah

1# What purge process are you using?

2# What's the humidity like in your area? (Can't make decent Toffee when it isn't bone dry... best time to do it is in the winter.)

hot water purge followed by an hour or two on a heating pad, the humidity sounds about right though, its been summery all times ive made it and not dry at all

I've been turning all my trim into BHO lately. I've used the same process, just let the small amount of butane I use bubble off at room temperature (only takes minutes) and then scraped the pyrex with razors, but I've noticed radically different results based on the strain. My least resinous strain's trim forms a softy runny jelly that never hardens. My middle strain creates what I see most often here, a much more firm amber/brown affair that compresses well. My most resinous just forms a white, powdery, exceedingly crusty mass which resists compression and crumbles easily.

What this means, if anything, I'm not really focused on...just sharing my observations.

jump117

Veteran
That means the higher quality, the higher melting point of your extract,
you need to warm your pyrex on double boiler and this crusty powdery mass
will turn into amber candy and show it's true color.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
There's alot of different variables to why BHO is runny or rock hard. If you use the process I outlined and it still turns out runny, it's probably strain related. The particular strain I used during this TEK, always without a doubt turns rock hard. I have other strains that are more like taffey when finished.

Jayson

Thanks, i use a TiPV vape for it. I'll have to find the pics. I also Highly recommend using Hashmasta kut's device, it's sweet.
Final tally was 3.7g oil from 21g of bud which is almost 20% :yoinks: But that was some seriously frosty bud, the stems were also covered in triches.

Here's a pic of my custom engraved box i bought to hold my meds lol. Looks like i have alot of filling to do lol.

where did u get that box??? did some one custom engrave it for you? or did you find it somewhere?

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
I have a friend in cali who is good with wood. So I came up with a design, emailed the lettering from photoshop and he made it. The Hashish and honey oil was burned on and it was only his 3rd or 4th time at wood burning.

Wfw1

if i let my pyrex of bho sit overnight, could i put it in the oven the next morning?

I'm not sure why you would want to put it in the oven? to purge it? heating pad would be a better idea. Ovens get mighty fargin hot and you dont wanna activate your thc.

GarbonzoBeans

So, if i were to say get an ounce or two of some high mids. and make BHO, would it even be worth it? or would it just taste so bad it would just suck?

I just ran approx. 100-120 grams of low quality popcorn bud/shake through the okief tube. I packed in 10-12 grams each run and used 1 can of vector for each extraction. this bud was low quality stuff I wouldnt have smoked pretty much worthless but my yeild was amazing I came out with a little over 13 grams of nice purged oil :D

120 grams low-mids + 10 cans of vector(320ml) + okief tube = 13+ grams of top notch hash oil

im happy :D

you can use low quality dry product and get high quality oil it all depends on your process :D

awesome thread!

edit: just did another run about 2 hours ago with whole nugs, this time I used 10 grams exactly in each tube and approx 160ml(half can) of each can of vector, in the end I took all the buds out broke them down and packed the whole 30g back into the tube and ran a remaining half can approx through and it still came out a nice yellow, now that its purged for a while it looks like amber glass...It weighed 3.6 fully purged :D sorry no pics right now but ill try, I find using half can of vector is being most efficient in my methods, anything you missed the first three runs youll grab in the 4th 30g run... :D